Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Closed] Win a SIM Free HTC Desire HD smartphone

Options
  • 17-01-2011 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all who entered the ESBStore.ie competition last week and well done to our winner aidan.connolly.

We’ve just launched our new ESB Meter Reading App and to celebrate we’ve got a competition for boards.ie users – we’re giving away a SIM Free HTC Desire HD smartphone worth over €500! :)

So a bit about the app…
    Our new app is available for both iPhone and Android phones. The app helps you submit your actual meter reading to ESB Customer Supply – giving you greater control over your bills and making estimated bills a thing of the past.

You can also register a number of addresses – say your mum would like to submit her own accurate reading, but isn’t totally to grips with the web or smartphones? No problem – you can register as many addresses as you’d like to submit readings for, all from the same app. And if you ever need to talk to us in a hurry, all the emergency ESB contact details are here too.

The app is free to download for the iPhone from the iTunes Apps store or from the Android Market on your Android phone. The following QR Codes will take you directly to them:

For the Android:
    Android%20QR%20code.JPG

For the iPhone:
    iPhone%20QR%20code.JPG

(never heard of QR Codes? - see here)

To win the great new HTC Desire HD phone all you have to do is tell us what your dream app would be... I know what mine would be; i-Ron – a handy app that connects your smartphone with your iron and gets the creases from your shirts as you relax. Chris, on the other hand, has dreamt up the i-Pair – with this you can use your GPS system to track mislaid socks... :o We're betting you can come up with some very interesing ideas (be sure to patent them)! :) The competition runs for a week, and the winner will be announced next Monday, January 24th.

In the meantime, if you ever have any queries about your meter reading, energy usage, or how you can manage your ESB bills a little better to save more money in 2011, just get in touch here on boards. As always, we’re here to help.

Best of luck,

David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My ideal app would be an i - land and it would take me away every weekend to an island in the south pacific.. Like fiji. I dont care if there is no electricity i guarantee all the lovely women would have sparks flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A fully integrated 'best method' messaging app.

Plugs into popular IM services, like Google Talk, MSN, Skype and Facebook Chat, and is also capable of sending SMS messages. When sending a message the app checks if the recipient is online in any of the free services and falls back to SMS if they are not.

The trick is to make it as seamless as possible, so it doesn't matter how I am contacting them - the experience is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I would love an app that enters competitions on my behalf, and generates the winning slogans or ideas, and then notifies me when I win.

I would also like an app that pays my bills, and I don't mean has the facility to allow me to pay my bills, I mean 'pays my bills'.

Oooh, how about an app that senses an Airtricity rep. approaching and disables my doorbell?

How do I contact the patent office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PaulMWatson

My dream app would be the iJog Power Plant. Using the built-in accelerometer it would convert my kinetic motion (jogging, walking, ballet, protesting, fishing, shooting, bog snorkeling, dole queueing, pint raising, etc.) into electricity and, via a modified microwave BlueTooth transmitter, power my house and recharge my new electric car (the Ferrari e458.) Also charge my new HTC Desire HD, of course.

Sadly it would render much of ESB irrelevant but I'd be happy to sell some of my electricity back to you as you convert your baseband power generation to iJog Power Plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cooney-tunes

Been dying to get my hands on that phone since it came out here, but its too expensive - pretty sweet prize.

Please pick me so I can download your app :D

My ideal app would be one that keeps a constant track of whats in my fridge. Im always forgetting what I need to buy in the store or coming home and realising that I have very little milk or worse beer left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 irishstu

I'd like an app that was like a handy cheat-sheet for the next election.

You'd use it to help make up your mind who to vote for or to help you to debate the policies and issues with candidates who come knocking at your door.

So, you'd tell it where you lived and it would tell you who's in the running, what their policies are, and it could pull data from somewhere like http://www.kildarestreet.com/ for sitting TDs so you could quiz them about attendence, voting records etc.

You could also choose key issues, for example welfare, children, rights etc that are important to you and it would search the candidate's speehes and stuff to see where they stand on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Ooh, what about an app that controls all of the switches and sockets in my house and gives instant feedback from the meter? I could see my savings right there on screen as I switch stuff off. :P

That's not my dream app BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i would like an app, that could predict the winning lotto numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

An App that knows what im doing and responds to people accordingly.
    i.e. Im driving my car and someone rings/or texts , my phone replys saying that I will call you back when im finished driving.
    When im sleeping and someone rings/or texts me, I dont get woken up, it just replys saying that im sleeping and will call you back when I get up in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

App that takes my lectures, dictates them into text and directly sends them to my brain. Also offers report, essay and assignment writing.

Never need to go a lecture again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

an app that tells me where my daughter is at all times! she goes out playing an I've to knock into every house looking for her! lol

would be awesome if it was also like a tomagotchi and tell me her energy, happiness and hunger levels! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thatone

Mine has to be the iFind! An app that finds your keys/glasses cases etc. Must lose them 5 times a day. My dad is worse. He keeps losing his phone too... Desperate altogether!

Ohoh alternatively the iCook - makes you a dinner every day you're too tired to cook..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd love an app that uses a microphone to determine how drunk I am. If I'm too hammered the phone will shut down automatically so that I can't drunk text/call anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Boards.ie app!! Simple really!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Darren_Walsh

I want an i-Sit app.

Basically whenever I sit down, the phone detects that I have sat down, and checks my location and makes me a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I would love an app to allow me to make the right decisions so that I make the most money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I'd like an app that would allow people to view all sporting fixtures for a set period (i.e. weekend) while also showing if any of these fixtures were being televised (channel, time) as well as giving the option to book match tickets, travel tickets etc. This app could also be customised by sport/region/fixture start time/proximity to current location etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

My dream app would be the Comeback App.

In an argument with someone? Record it with the Comeback App and every time they insult you it will deliver a perfectly judged and witty comeback for you to use against them. Perfect for those of us who can only ever think of the perfect comeback days after the actual insult. You'll never lose an argument again!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Similar to the i-spy above, an app to find the kids when it's dinner time - you'd just hold up the phone and look around and an augmented reality app would overlay their position on the camera view, which you could rotate into a Google maps view from directly above.

You could call it the oiGrubsUp!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TheMasterPrawn

As a contractor , or indeed as a small business that travels and needs to submit expenses for the business or keep track for tax returns I want:

An app that tracks expenses.

1. Photograph the receipt. Then the app returns an ID that I can write on the physical receiptfor sorting the "pile" later. The digital copy can then be stored on the device or the "cloud". I am not pushed if the app can immediatly scan the info from the receipt , as long as it associates it with a spreadsheet row that I can fill in later. I can then have the app create the expenses sheet for me.
    2. Location, I would like to track location if I am travelling to customer sites so I can track mileage for submission , or track trips taken on a filled tank (receipt)
    3. Calls, for bonus points, an app that can access my call history and distinguish personal from work calls.

Of course all can be tracked with time and Geoloc, making my time checking easier, if it can access my calendar and add information all the better, but not for version 1.

I have loads of other ideas on this as well, but this is the core. I am platform agnostic, but sure a desire HD sounds like a great place to start :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

My app would have to be one for when you are out, the "Is she or is he worth it" app.

Your out in a club you see a good looking girl or fella but don't know whether you should go for them or not. Fear not, with the new "Is she or is he worth it" app all you need do is take their picture and it will bring up all their details via Facebook, Bebo and various other internet sites they may have their picture / name linked to. That way you know if they are single, dating, married, their likes dislikes etc... Think of the amount of trouble this app could save you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

i-wakethehellup

3pm slump? Starting to get drowsy in work? Can't keep your eyes open at a meeting/ during a funeral / listening to your friends ammmazzzzing story from the weekend / in the shower (yes, with your smartphone) or when you girlfriend/boyfriend is telling you about some lovely dress she saw/or goal he scored at astro.

zzzaaap! Your smartphone gives you a friendly electric shock and wakes you the hell up so you can at least pretend to look interested or follow what's going on.

The app monitors your heart rate and when it drops to the lazy low when your just about to doze of.... Bam! your smartphone zaps you back into life and leaving just a mild, but temporary, look of terror on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭randombar

A communication app, I basically text any of my friends, the app decides what is the most suitable way of giving them that message and sends it.

i.e. send via twitter, facebook, voicemail, text message depending on what preferences your friend has set or you set for your friend or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Mine would be "i-Nap".

You'd launch it any time you went for a nap, and then if anyone calls, the phone automatically answers and a recording says you're napping and you'll call them back, and similarily for texts it would reply letting them know you're mid-nap.

No more ruined naps, and no more people thinking you're ignoring them - win win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

maameeo wrote: »
    an app that tells me where my daughter is at all times! she goes out playing an I've to knock into every house looking for her! lol

would be awesome if it was also like a tomagotchi and tell me her energy, happiness and hunger levels! lol

Already done with Latitiude app!;)

I would love an app that would prove a force field around me to prevent ANY ailments atacking me, either from external or internal means.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I'd like to see a 999 Emergency app.

Essentially it's an icon with your information you've preconfigured during set up. To use it simply touch the icon to launch an instant connection to emergency services. Selecting an emergency service (Ambulance, Police, Fire, Mountain Rescue, Coastguard etc) could be attained by gesture control while launching the app.

The gesture is acknowledged along with your information which is logged at the Emergency Services call centre cutting out the need to call and speak to a human.

It would be perfect for situations where the user is perhaps unable to speak or is injured and cannot speak but is able to perform a simple button press.

A discreet and a direct connection using pre configured information utilizing GPS, SMS, WiFi etc to dispatch emergency services should you ever need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 darrenkenny

How about an application that would automatically redial a number for me if it was unanswered?

It's a feature I miss from my old Nokia phones, and is really handy for times like Christmas where you're trying to get through to that toy-store to find the 'toy of the year' for the little ones and the store only has 1 phone line!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

Currently the i-nappy app would be great. It changes nappies remotely. Very useful for those middle of night bombs we are currently dealing with!
    Although spottyelephants i-nap app sounds great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Fap App

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

my dream app is one that doesn't kill my phone, damn iphone 3g!

Advertisement