Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

NO, http://www.i2stream.com/channel2.html at the moment. Think it is an Indian feed or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Outtttttttt

Dockrell to Rahim, out Caught by White!! Rahim c White b Dockrell 36(66) [4s-2] @ 76.06 kmph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

So what's the thoughts now? 206 runs is not a massive target but will Ireland also struggle on this wicket? Ireland at even money looks good but perhaps better to wait and see how the openers settle in and bet live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Looked like George had a good time on this wicket.
    And Bangladesh have some handy spinners.

Its a tough job, but If Stirling can keep his discipline and we get some sort of score from 1-3....chalk it down. We are their bogey team now.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Any idea what time will we be out to bat? I assume Sky Sports will be showing our batting session now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

great to see another good competitive game of Cricket today, Pakistan could be very dangerous in this tournament, the balance of their team is very good

still absolutely crushed for the irish boys, i think they will think they threw it away it was there for the winning. good footage before the game from 'Whitey's Diary' hoping it is the first of many on there, imagine the scenes after we beat England next week!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bell got away with that :eek:

168-2..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Whatever about India's batting their rubbish bowling attack isn't going to win them this world cup......the warning signs were there against Bangladesh

England should coast this if they keep their heads....Strauss has been a revelation....probably his best innings in one day cricket

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not much use having flat track bullies (-Tendulkar) on home wickets if you can't bowl the other side out or defend big totals..

Having said that it's not over yet

3 years ago I would have thought England might still have blown this.....but not this side

In all my years of watching cricket in India this has to be one of the best one day run chases.....

Such a pity for Tendulkar......however good he is his bowlers undo all the good work

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tied

What a match!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Andrew Strauss - give that man a knighthood. What an innings.

Pretty content with that result even though we threw the win away. Many positives to take forward into the next game, and hopefully some lessons should be learnt. Anderson and Collingwood out hopefully.

Well played Boys and onto the next.

Beasty wrote: »
    Tied

What a match!!!!

Both teams should be happy with the result considering both teams won and lost the match at some stage today!!

Strauss didn't deserve to finish on the losing side and so too didn't Tendulkar

Fair result IMO......though india will have a lot of soul searching to do with their bowling attack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Thats one down and potentially two more to go (England v India).

Great game in a farcical competition structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

How India couldnt defend that total is beyond me, shocking stuff but what a match it made for!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

kryogen wrote: »
    How India couldnt defend that total is beyond me, shocking stuff but what a match it made for!

For a country with such a huge population and a thriving International team, its shocking to think they haven't produced a genuine all rounder in yonks. Irfan Pathan seems have been given up on when it comes to the National team, while their seems to be very few quality young fast bowlers coming through the ranks.

They need to be very careful with Zaheer in the net few years, if they were to be disrupted by injuries they would be in serious trouble, no matter what their batting is.

Anyways hugely impressed with Pakistan yesterday especially Misbah and Khan. Misbah is in superb form right now, and his knock apart from Strauss today and maybe De Villiers on Thursday was the best of the competition so far.

They do need Kamran to start thinking a bit more though, his run out of Hafeez was shocking as was the horrid slog he played to dismiss himself.

Shehad hopefully will come good in the business end of this, he looks very special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Rjd2 wrote: »
    For a country with such a huge population and a thriving International team, its shocking to think they haven't produced a genuine all rounder in yonks

Not many countries have.
    After the great man himself Sir Gary Sobiers had finished, the 70s and 80s were a truly golden era for the all-rounder with Botham, Hadlee, Kapil Dev, Clive Rice, Imran Khan and Mike Proctor. Since these fellas, there was Wasim Akram and after that Jacques Kallis.

Outside of this lot, mainly bowlers who bat a bit or batsmen who can take a wicket or two. Can't see the 70s/80s ever being matched, to be honest.

kryogen wrote: »

To be fair both England and India look hopeless as far as their respective bowling attacks go.....after all both teams have conceded 290+ and 330+ in both their matches so far....But then this is the subcontinent and nobody expected bowler friendly wickets....will be inetersting to see how the stronger bowling attacks of Australia and SA fare when they come up against the better batting line ups

After that bowling perfomance I have a feeling that Dhoni will change strategy and probably chase rather than set a total if he wins the toss hereafter....otherwise he'll be hoping that India get 400+ if they bat first and then hope against hope that his bowlers dont stuff it up like they almost did yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

I think the Australian selectors have realised they have made a mistake with not bringing Hussey into the squad,

'' Michael Hussey's hopes of winning a surprise recall to the World Cup squad have been boosted with the news that Australia's selectors have delayed naming a replacement for the injured fast man Doug Bollinger. The selectors had been expected to rush a bowler to Colombo in time for Australia's next match, against Sri Lanka on Saturday, but they have decided not to hurry their decision.

A key factor in their hesitation is likely to have been Hussey's expected return to elite cricket after recovering from a serious hamstring injury. He is set to play for Western Australia against Queensland in a Sheffield Shield match that starts at the WACA on Thursday, and if he gets through the match without any trouble he could be on a plane to the World Cup. '' great news for the World Cup if he comes back :)...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Two more shockers today, Canada lose by 175 runs and Holland by 215 runs, very disappointing stuff especially from the Dutch. If these performances continue I honestly don't think I could keep attacking the ICC over the 2015 cup :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Yeah, the onus is on us to continue performing well and hopefully causing an upset at some stage.

The other associates look very poor. Its a shame too, Kenya and to a lesser extent Canada had some strong showings in the 2003 WC. They seem to have regressed considerably since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

would you settle for a 12 team world cup in 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I think 12 teams would be about right. Would create greater competition among associates to qualify for WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Playing Devils Advocate here

devils_advocate.jpg

But if the ICC said the world cup would be 10 teams based on actually qualifying would that be fairer? It certainly wouldn't produce a World Cup with many Associates in, but would be "fair".

:pac: Right, finished playing devils advocate, I think the 12 team idea is a good one, much fairer than their current proposal anyway. :pac:

12 sounds about right, not so good for Ireland but fairer overall I think, at the moment all the Associates are doing is taking all the momentum out of the tournament. But I honestly had not expected both Canada and Kenya to be so hopeless, bad yeah, but this bad? How did Afghanistan not qualify, they would have been a real addition to the tournament.

12 sounds about right, not so good for Ireland but fairer overall I think, at the moment all the Associates are doing is taking all the momentum out of the tournament. But I honestly had not expected both Canada and Kenya to be so hopeless, bad yeah, but this bad? How did Afghanistan not qualify, they would have been a real addition to the tournament.
    Yeah Afghanistan would have been a very good addition. Im sure they would have given a few of the test playing nations a rattle, especially the likes of New Zealand who have been rubbish lately.

Yeah Afghanistan would have been a very good addition. Im sure they would have given a few of the test playing nations a rattle, especially the likes of New Zealand who have been rubbish lately.

Afghanistan would have drawn fans (imagine Pakistan-Afghanistan) and every performance no matter the score would have been a triumph for the country. Plus they would probably beat Zimbabwe and maybe NZ like you said.

Kenya and Canada are pretty much a disgrace, Canada have barely a Canadian in the team and Kenya have regressed so much you can't blame the ICC for asking where the investment money (as little as there might have been) has gone?

Kenya and Canada are pretty much a disgrace, Canada have barely a Canadian in the team and Kenya have regressed so much you can't blame the ICC for asking where the investment money (as little as there might have been) has gone?

Yeah it doesnt say much about the state of Canadian cricket if the team is made up almost entirely of South-Asian Canadians or South-Asian born players. To outsiders, it seems as if cricket isnt played by anyone outside of the Asian community within Canada - who themselves are only a small ethnic group in Canada.

Regards Kenya, I wasnt interested in cricket when they had the good world cup run in 2003, but its striking how much they have fallen apart since then - Canada will probably beat them when they meet in this tournament.

Yeah it doesnt say much about the state of Canadian cricket if the team is made up almost entirely of South-Asian Canadians or South-Asian born players. To outsiders, it seems as if cricket isnt played by anyone outside of the Asian community within Canada - who themselves are only a small ethnic group in Canada.

Regards Kenya, I wasnt interested in cricket when they had the good world cup run in 2003, but its striking how much they have fallen apart since then - Canada will probably beat them when they meet in this tournament.

I think with Kenya it was a lot to do with the governing body, disputes and so on. When you look at the other Associates you really see the good work that Cricket Ireland is doing off the field to make things stable and give the players a great platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Final Qualifying tournament for this world cup took place in South Africa in April 2009, probably a little too early for Afghanistan who finished 6th behind Ireland (who beat Canada in the qualifiers final), Netherlands, Kenya (the 4 qualifiers) and Scotland.

No doubt Afghanistan will qualify next time as they are pushing us to be number 1 associate and have beaten us a couple of times in the last 2 years.

Advertisement