Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Nice to see a win at last. A Botha and KO'B 99 for 5th wicket. Must have been one of these matches with 2 separate teams for bowling and batting but all got a run. 245/6 a good performance. Pity Stirling had a duck but he's class and will not let it upset him.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

How does this work out, '' Players per side 15 (11 batting, 11 fielding) ''

can you decide to send 11 batsmen to bat and 11 bowlers to bowl?, between the two innings...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

Pretty sure it was 12 per side though. Joyce, Porterfield and Jones weren't playing. Van der Merwe wasn't going to bat, and someone (Stirling or NOB) didn't field.

What's the general feeling for the final side. Who will be the four to miss out? Van Der Merwe, Jones, White and one from Botha/Cusack/Mooney/Wilson?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Cremated wrote: »
    How does this work out, '' Players per side 15 (11 batting, 11 fielding) ''

can you decide to send 11 batsmen to bat and 11 bowlers to bowl?, between the two innings...

You can never have more than 11 on the field at any one time. What the above means is that you don't have to have the same 11 players batting as fielding or bowling i.e. Player A can bat but not bowl or field, while Player B can bowl without batting.

TrueDub wrote: »
    You can never have more than 11 on the field at any one time. What the above means is that you don't have to have the same 11 players batting as fielding or bowling i.e. Player A can bat but not bowl or field, while Player B can bowl without batting.

I know there is only 11 players allowed on the field for the fielding side, just wasn't sure what they meant by that '' Players per side 15 (11 batting, 11 fielding) '' thanks for clearing it up :),

for me Botha has to play, and Cusack did himself no harm either, Ireland can bath deep, and a lot of players can do a bit of bowling so it's good signs for the team...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

I haven't seen anyone on any forum, actually say such and such will be left out. It's all very easy saying such and such should play, but there are only eleven spots.

It's a great position to be in, but Simmons is going to have to make some harsh calls come next week. I reckon White is going to miss out, but that's a tough call for someone with four first class hundreds. Similarly although Cusack, Botha, Wilson and Mooney all deserve to play, one of them is going to have to lose out.

The bowling attack is Rankin, TJ, Dockrell, Stirling, KOB and then one of Cusack/Botha/Mooney (or more). Interesting, and purely down to who's been impressing in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Porterfield
    Stirling
    Joyce
    N O'Brien
    Wilson/Mooney
    Cusack (his batting has earned him a spot)
    K O'Brien
    Johnston
    Dockrell
    Rankin
    11th man

TheDrog wrote: »
    Porterfield
    Stirling
    Joyce
    N O'Brien
    Wilson/Mooney
    Cusack (his batting has earned him a spot)
    K O'Brien
    Johnston
    Dockrell
    Rankin
    11th man

Are we allowed send out two batsmen for the fall of the 3rd wicket?, ;)

that is my team pretty much, I would just add in Botha, and then we have a team who can bat down to 9 and they would be strong batting options also, having Mooney come in at nine shows how far we can bat,

and with plenty of spin options,

and one last thing, who could we pass Marshall off as?, that hair will need to be sorted ;)...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

Great win for the boys today - Cricket Ireland TV even predicted the three catches for Gary Wilson!!!

http://tiny.cc/4kqq4

Gowan the boys in green!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Nice win alright, good to see the batsmen perform against a spin-heavy side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

England crawl to a win against Canada in their first warm up, Pietersen opened and apparently hes going to continue into the tournament. Trott and Prior scored well but the rest of the team failed.

Bowling wise, England reduced Canada to 20 odd for 5 but still managed to let Canada get within 16 runs.

If this decidedly average form continues, England could be on the end of some upsets in this World Cup and Ireland should be confident on the 2nd March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

dooferoaks wrote: »
    England crawl to a win against Canada in their first warm up, Pietersen opened and apparently hes going to continue into the tournament.

KP opening was something that was long overdue for England IMHO.....you want your best batsman to face as many of the 50 overs as possible:)

Just realised how early most of the matches are starting, 3:30am starts mean not easy to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

Should get the hairs standing up on the back of your neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Am I going blind or have the Guardian decided that Ireland aren't in the World Cup?
    Their guide to the teams playing doesn't include us!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/series/cricket-world-cup-2011-team-guides

Am I going blind or have the Guardian decided that Ireland aren't in the World Cup?
    Their guide to the teams playing doesn't include us!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/series/cricket-world-cup-2011-team-guides

I am in the process of spamming the feck out of any guardian related email or twitter to remind them they have not included Ireland. I am sure its an oversight, not a deliberate snub but still, they need to sort it.

As of 14:02 Ireland is back in the World Cup, the Guardian have been gracious enough to let them in to their review.

just noticed this on the cricket ireland forum, suddenly very glad my lectures on the day have been cancelled to allow us to vote

NEXT WEEKEND IS A LONG WEEKEND FOR ALL CRICKET FANS
    ONLY TWO PLACES TO BE - BANGLADESH or THE RUSSELL COURT HOTEL.

Starting -FRIDAY 25TH FEBRUARY IRELAND V BANGLADESH 8.30 AM at the RUSSELL COURT HOTEL -Harcourt Street. Dedicated Function rooms with large Plasma Screens (Red Button Available!)

FULL BREAKFAST from 7am €6.50, Lunch -ALL MAIN COURSES €6.50 - ALL PINTS ,BOTTLES, JAGERBOMBS and Selected Cocktails at only €4.00.

BOOKING ADVISED but all welcome.

Phone Maurice on 087-0601500 or Email him at purchasing@russellcourthotel.ie
    No excuses.....
    ...Pull as 'sickie'... (sick notes available).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Sorry, cannot be in Dublin as I have to get out to vote but would you please send me on a sick note!

just noticed this on the cricket ireland forum, suddenly very glad my lectures on the day have been cancelled to allow us to vote

NEXT WEEKEND IS A LONG WEEKEND FOR ALL CRICKET FANS
    ONLY TWO PLACES TO BE - BANGLADESH or THE RUSSELL COURT HOTEL.

Starting -FRIDAY 25TH FEBRUARY IRELAND V BANGLADESH 8.30 AM at the RUSSELL COURT HOTEL -Harcourt Street. Dedicated Function rooms with large Plasma Screens (Red Button Available!)

FULL BREAKFAST from 7am €6.50, Lunch -ALL MAIN COURSES €6.50 - ALL PINTS ,BOTTLES, JAGERBOMBS and Selected Cocktails at only €4.00.

BOOKING ADVISED but all welcome.

Phone Maurice on 087-0601500 or Email him at purchasing@russellcourthotel.ie
    No excuses.....
    ...Pull as 'sickie'... (sick notes available).

Do you think many people will be at it?. I'll go along, it sucks that I dont have Sky Interactive, does it cost anything to book a place?,

also is anyone from Boards going?...

• Advertisement

don't know much about it just saw it on the cricket ireland and sandyford forums, I'd say there will be a decent few at it. Someone said trents wife was the one organising it. Planning to reserve a space anyway. I wouldn't say it will cost anything but you can always email and find out. Should be fun, the tricky thing is going to be getting out of bed in the morning to vote.

Ricky Ponting has come out in support of the shortened form of the world cup, apparently he doesn't feel the associates learn anything from getting beaten. What did Australia learn from scraping past Ireland last summer? That they don't want to take the chance on it happening to them at the world cup.

Ricky Ponting, the Australia captain, believes the World Cup will be a better event without the weaker Associate nations, but hopes the ICC's decision doesn't hurt the development of the game around the world. The ICC has decided the next World Cup will feature only ten teams, and the Associates will have to use the World Twenty20 as their major chance for exposure to the top level. They have not yet revealed what the qualification for the 50-over World Cup will be.
    It's a move that has understandably angered plenty of the Associates, who have also received support from leading players such as Graeme Swann, AB de Villiers and Shaun Tait. However, Kenya's capitulation for 69 against New Zealand, and Canada's struggle to contain Sri Lanka on Sunday highlighted one of the problems of adding the less competitive teams to the tournament, according to Ponting.
    "That's a tough question, for the sheer fact that you need to be bringing some of these smaller nations on in the world of cricket," Ponting said when asked if the Associates should play in the World Cup. "We all want to see the game develop and blossom in different countries around the world. I've always been a bit unsure if World Cups and Champions Trophies are the right place to do that.
    "The major reason for that is I'm not sure how much a lot of the teams actually learn when they're getting hammered like they tend to do in a lot of those contests. It would probably be a better tournament if there were fewer teams, but we understand the responsibility for the game to continue to grow around the world as well."
    Ponting's Australian side will meet Canada and Kenya in the group stage this year, while Netherlands and Ireland are the Associates in the other group. One thing the ICC's decision has done is give the minnows something to prove during the current World Cup.
    "It is so important for us to put out strong performances and show everyone, including the ICC, how much progress the Associates have made and send further strong messages to all that we are competing," Netherlands coach Peter Drinnen said. "We beat Bangladesh last year. We have beaten a full member in the shorter version URL="http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/355991.html"]England at the 2009 World Twenty20[/URL; other Associates have beaten full members. Whether we win or lose as long as the performances are there people can see the amount of progress we have made in the last three to five years with the introduction of the high performance programme."
    Drinnen added his name to the growing list of players and coaches who think the move to restrict the number of teams will be bad for the game. "The gains [of playing against full members] are significant," he said. "So it is so important that we keep getting those opportunities as that only enhances our development and increases our progress. To have those opportunities taken away, obviously, is going to be detrimental."
    The 2015 World Cup will be held in Australia and New Zealand. The last time the tournament was hosted there, in 1992, was also the last time there were no Associates that took part.

don't know much about it just saw it on the cricket ireland and sandyford forums, I'd say there will be a decent few at it. Someone said trents wife was the one organising it. Planning to reserve a space anyway. I wouldn't say it will cost anything but you can always email and find out. Should be fun, the tricky thing is going to be getting out of bed in the morning to vote.

Well I'll call the number and see if I can drop down, will you be going down to the game Drog?,

if anyone is heading down let me know, it will be nice to put a name to the nicknames.

Also to be fair to Ponting he has said good things about Irish Cricket, and when people mention the results of Kenya and Canada they often say Ireland is a different class team to the other Associates and that we should be allowed to play in the 2015 World Cup,

also on air today Ian Chappell was saying the Irish result against New Zealand was a great performance by Ireland, and when Kenya beat Ireland in a warm up game it showed that Kenya could play as Ireland was a good team, well I'm pretty certain it was Ian Chappell...

yeah I'm planning to be there from the start, should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Vaioer

yeah I'm planning to be there from the start, should be fun.

I'm due to be working in Harcourt Street so I'll be there for the start and lunch and hopefully popping in a few times as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

SSK wrote: »
    Can someone explain what the difference is between WC directors fixing who they want to qualify for the knock-out stages in order to maximise their income streams and a bowler fixing when they bowl a couple of no-balls in order to maximise their income.

For a sport trying to eradicate corruption it is disgraceful behaviour and endemic of all that is wrong with the ICC and the Indian cricket authorities who seem to think they run the show.

But the BCCI do run the show. All they can do is fix the draw, they can't affect the sporting outcome.

Nasser Husain saying that the associates can't compete with the big sides well in the 50 over format. Netherlands are 172-4 off 37 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Great stuff from the Dutch, England will have a serious battle on their hands to win this.

RTD over the last year or so has been as good as anyone in the world as an all-rounder, the type of player England are really lacking now that Colly is on hs last legs.

Great knock from RtD, England going to find it a bit tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭Trampas

Nasser Husain saying that the associates can't compete with the big sides well in the 50 over format. Netherlands are 172-4 off 37 :confused:

I know. He never likes the minnows since they have a chance to beat his boys.

I think 2 members would be about right. Ireland ano

Advertisement