Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

I've only recently started watching Cricket properly, with the Ashes and the World Cup and I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me.

What is more important to English and Australian fans/players, The Ashes or The World Cup?

I know Alastair Cook has not been a part of the One Day side, but why?? and why would England not bring him to the World Cup anyway??

Is the World Cup seen as the biggest tournament in cricket, like in soccer?

Is club cricket important to players??

What's the story with the captains, do they pick the teams?? Is Andy Flower the 'manager' of England?

Why did England and Australia both wear white/off-white at the Ashes, is it just a tradition? England seem to wear a different jersey for everything, why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

At club level first-class matches and national level, tests always mean more, so the Ashes comes first...

For those who don't play Tests, The World Cup comes first. The World Cup and the Twenty20 World Cup are the two biggest international tournaments. For clubs or franchises, there's the individual leagues like the IPL

Players do not have to play all formats of the game, depending on how their style suits what is required.usually the people who score slowly are not picked for one-day games and those who do can make a very good career. Shahid Afridi of Pakistan would be the latter and I guess Cook the former.

Usually older players give up formats to focus on another. There's usually a selection panel, involving the captain. Flower is the head coach I think..there can be individual skill coaches too...like specific batting coaches.

All test matches are played in white, both teams. Everything else is multi-colour including similar colours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

15/3 Peterson with 3 overs, 3 wickets for 4 runs:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Comprehensively beating Australia in Australia to retain the Ashes is easily the biggest achievement there is to English players and fans. The history and rivalry of an ashes series is unrivaled in test cricket. The celebrations when we won 3-1 over the winter show just how much it means to English fans to do one over on them after such a long time in their own back yard.

Saying that, looking at the state of out ODI side in comparison to our test side, winning a 50 overs match may just be the biggest achievement of them all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

What i do not understand..How come different players are selected for one day cricket as opposed to five day...Surely the best players should be selected for both codes....Sorry if the answer is simple...I have only recently become interested in the game so my knowledge is limited...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Eng-lol

This is horrendous from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Eng-lol

This is horrendous from them.

171 all out, oh dear, fair to say its all going a bit pete tong for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Just watched SA in action for the first time this world cup and boy do they look a solid unit.....they seem to have all their bases covered as far as their bowling goes.....agreed they still have to chase down 171

It would have been great to see how Australia would have fared against spin yesterday had they been chasing 230 plus against Murali and co

While India might have an awesome batting line up I have a feeling the two teams with the best bowlin attacks i.e SA and Australia will contest the final on April 2nd:(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

England are certainly in this one - SA 125-6, still needing 47 off 16 overs, having lost 3 wickets with the score on 124

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is turning out to be a lot tighter than might have been expected.
    Another wicket goes.

160-8

• Advertisement

OMG! Another possible wicket gone to review

OUT 9 down 8 to win....

The Poms may actually win this.

EDIT: And they have. Horrible collapse from South Africa, and bad result for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Trampas

ireland game on tv.

poms on laptop :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That will do nicely ....:D

The Poms may actually win this.

:pac:

Win.

England are fast becoming the team to watch for edge of the seat thrills and spills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

I should have known better than to build up South Africa:(......should have put more than the tenner on England at 10 to 1 at the innings break.....still a hundred quid richer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Does that make Ireland better than SA??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Trampas

booth70 wrote: »
    I should have known better than to build up South Africa:(......should have put more than the tenner on England at 10 to 1 at the innings break.....still a hundred quid richer:)

I seen it at 22/1 at one stage

What a result and a magnificent performance in the second innings! :D

Under pressure but showed what we can do, top of the group too ;)

PS, since when did the Irish start calling the English poms? :eek:

It was a good performance with the ball by South Africa A against South Africa.

;)

• Advertisement

It was a good performance with the ball by South Africa A against South Africa.

;)

He says as an Australian tries to drag Ireland to a competitive score.

Its the way of the modern world, why should cricket be any different? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,070 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Does that make Ireland better than SA??

Yes

He says as an Australian tries to drag Ireland to a competitive score.

Its the way of the modern world, why should cricket be any different? :confused:

why_so_serious_pandemic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

dfx- wrote: »
    At club level first-class matches and national level, tests always mean more, so the Ashes comes first...

For those who don't play Tests, The World Cup comes first. The World Cup and the Twenty20 World Cup are the two biggest international tournaments. For clubs or franchises, there's the individual leagues like the IPL

Players do not have to play all formats of the game, depending on how their style suits what is required.usually the people who score slowly are not picked for one-day games and those who do can make a very good career. Shahid Afridi of Pakistan would be the latter and I guess Cook the former.

Usually older players give up formats to focus on another. There's usually a selection panel, involving the captain. Flower is the head coach I think..there can be individual skill coaches too...like specific batting coaches.

All test matches are played in white, both teams. Everything else is multi-colour including similar colours.

Nice One. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

South Africa choke yet again. :pac:

Not as funny as previous chokes but still amusing and a huge reality check for those who thought they were mentally stronger this time.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    South Africa choke yet again. :pac:

Not as funny as previous chokes but still amusing and a huge reality check for those who thought they were mentally stronger this time.

Disagree. The majority of the South Africans were got out by good bowling. Very few got themselves out. To say they bottled it is a disservice to the English bowling attack who were excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Disagree. The majority of the South Africans were got out by good bowling. Very few got themselves out. To say they bottled it is a disservice to the English bowling attack who were excellent.
    And the South Africans who were ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dpryor

Here's a spreadsheet I found on the Bangladesh cricket forum that allows you to play around with different scenarios to see how Ireland can advance to the QF round:

http://public.sheet.zoho.com/public/alexc02/conditional

It basically comes down to Ireland beating West Indies and Netherlands and West Indies losing their matches against India and England.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Even if that happens, it's likely that the W.Indies net run rate would edge us out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dpryor

Even if that happens, it's likely that the W.Indies net run rate would edge us out.

That's true for most of the potential scenarios. But, if Ireland defeats West Indies and Netherlands and WI loses to India and England, Ireland will end up with 2 more points than WI. It's unlikely, but it's the team's best shot.

Advertisement