Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2011

Options
  • 23-12-2010 11:00am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This was announced a couple of days ago:

* William Porterfield (Warwickshire) (Captain)
    * Andre Botha (North County)
    * Alex Cusack (Clontarf)
    * George Dockrell (Leinster/Somerset)
    * Phil Eaglestone (Strabane)
    * Allan Eastwood (Pembroke)
    * James Hall (Waringstown)
    * Trent Johnston (Railway Union)
    * Nigel Jones (Civil Service North)
    * Ed Joyce (Sussex)
    * Rory McCann (Instonians)
    * John Mooney (North County)
    * Kevin O’Brien (Railway Union)
    * Niall O’Brien (Northants)
    * Andrew Poynter (Clontarf)
    * Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire)
    * Paul Stirling (Middlesex)
    * Albert van der Merwe (The Hills)
    * Regan West (Civil Service North)
    * Gary Wilson (Surrey)
    * Andrew White (Instonians)
    * Craig Young (Bready/Sussex)

will be cut to 15 (I think) for the actual participating squad.

no great surprises, although injuries may play a part in selection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Just wondered, why was Marshall not give permission to play for Ireland while Joyce was? Marshall has an Irish passport now, and the New Zealand Cricket board didn't object.

I am personally not a big fan of Marshall, but its a shame hes not available to Irelands squad.

Off topic, but if anyone is interested, theres a little Christmas message from Niall O' Brien here: LINK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Just wondered, why was Marshall not give permission to play for Ireland while Joyce was? Marshall has an Irish passport now, and the New Zealand Cricket board didn't object.

Special circumstances for Joyce, having played for Ireland before. I think both decisions were reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

After hearing that Kyle McCallan could return to the team, do you think Ireland would ever send out Kyle and George together?,

it would be a nice selection problem for Ireland :D...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Cremated wrote: »
    After hearing that Kyle McCallan could return to the team, do you think Ireland would ever send out Kyle and George together?,

it would be a nice selection problem for Ireland :D...

Could they play in the same team? Definitely, that would be brilliant.

Will he come out of retirement? Never say never, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I'll say never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Id be surprised if Kyle came back tbh. I would love to see himself and Dockrell playing together tho; not many spin partnerships around better than that :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd love to see Kyle back, it would be great to have such a spin advantage. I don't really see it happening though and tbh I'm actually quite worried about how our batsmen are going to perform over there. Anyone else remember that horrible tour to Bangladesh a few years ago?

Well to be fair the players have improved since then and also not all of the players in the squad now were there, since they couldn't get of County duties?,

one thing though, people can think what they like about Joyce but he will be very important over there, and the likes of N'OB and Porterfield etc,

only reason I said that about Kyle is from when Phil Simmons mentioned Joyce was coming back and that he hoped Kyle could be back for the World Cup depending on his Father...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

No suprises in the side but I don't think the inclusion of West is justifiable, he's been out of the game injured for a long time and risking him at the world cup is probably taking too big a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

This is to get things going in the build up to the next big event in cricket starting next month....

Group A

Australia
    Canada
    Kenya
    New Zealand
    Pakistan
    Sri Lanka
    Zimbabwe

Group B

Bangladesh
    India
    England
    Ireland
    Netherlands
    South Africa
    West Indies

The top 4 from both groups go through to the knockout (quarterfinals) stage and so on....no super 8's this time.

This like the previous world cup in 2007 will go on forever... only about 45 days!!....Feb 19th - April 2nd

The Ind-SA , Eng-Aus , Pak-NZ one day series due to start soon should give everyone early pointers of form etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

booth70 wrote: »
    The Ind-SA , Eng-Aus , Pak-NZ one day series due to start soon should give everyone early pointers of form etc

Not entirely.
    For example, some of the England players will be rested (such as Anderson). Some of the Aussie players available for the CWC such as Tait and Lee who will be both be back, won't be playing this one-day series.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Seems to me that this new format is to stop once off upsets like us beating Pakistan in 2007. It'll be infinitely harder, if not impossible, for associate nations to topple a test nation in a 7 team group. The ICC really do annoy me sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Only sometimes?!

Their plan is to restrict 2015 WC to 10 teams - is it test-playing teams or top 10 ranked?. At present the "SPIN magazine" rankings has us at 10 in the ODI table and with Joyce and Marshall, plus more than likely some youngsters coming through, we will probably be stronger by then. We are ahead of Bangladesh, and both W Indies and Zimbabwe are poor enough so you'd never know!.

I agree that the new format of 7-team groups makes it more difficult for us but with three targeted wins and maybe 1 upset, we might just work the oracle.

Seems to me that this new format is to stop once off upsets like us beating Pakistan in 2007. It'll be infinitely harder, if not impossible, for associate nations to topple a test nation in a 7 team group. The ICC really do annoy me sometimes.

Couldn't agree with you more

Forget the ICC....Its the BCCI calling the shots as usual.

The BCCI simply cannot afford to have a World cup in thier own backyard and not have India figure prominently....think about the amount of money the crooks who run the BCCI are going to rake in from the TV rights/advertising etc longer India stay in the competition...

This format is purely to ensure that India (...and other big teams but India mainly) make at least the QF stage and don't get knocked out of the World Cup in the group stages like they were in the CWC 2007 by Bangladesh

This is going to be a much tougher tournament than the West Indies was simply because of the conditions. Bangladesh are going to be very difficult to beat in their own backyard and we are in by far the tougher of the two groups

Group A

Australia - will have to bounce back against england in the ODI's, their confidence is at an all time low
    Canada - would expect a win
    Kenya - would expect a win
    New Zealand - Have had a terrible year but have the players to beat anyone
    Pakistan - still in chaos but more used to the conditions
    Sri Lanka - probaly too strong for us
    Zimbabwe- improving rapidly but would feel it would be close

Group B

Bangladesh - underrated by many but will be tough to beat at home
    India - would expect them to win the tournament
    England - confidence is sky high, very talented team, they'll be in with a shot at the final but Ireland always lift their game for this one
    Ireland
    Netherlands - expect a win but RTD will be key in this one
    South Africa - As with India and england they'll be right up there at the end. Best chance for Ireland is if they decide to rest Dale Steyn
    West Indies - Unpredictable, they could be the worst team there or be in contention. One thing that is likely is that they'll hit a lot of sixes

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Vaioer

Was going to start a thread for this but it seems as handy to throw it in here.

Looking for Slogan ideas for our "trip flag".

Current contenders

"Not here for a bail out, here to bowl you out"

"Davy Kehoe says............I don't understand this game"

"India: Getting the runs, on and off the pitch"

Anyone any ideas? Want to get it done up in time for our departure(late Feb) keep an eye out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

JustinDee wrote: »
    Not entirely.
    For example, some of the England players will be rested (such as Anderson). Some of the Aussie players available for the CWC such as Tait and Lee who will be both be back, won't be playing this one-day series.

Anderson will be back for most of the ODIs so they are taking it seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Anderson will be back for most of the ODIs so they are taking it seriously.

I didn't say they were not taking it seriously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Good match today....India win despite Morne Van Wyk's fireworks

Makhaya Ntini's farewell match as well.....has been a brilliant player for SA down the years....he will be missed

Sad to see him retire, he had a tremendous attitude, I really hope he stays in the game somehow.

I really don't rate our chances in this World Cup, I could even see us losing to Holland on a bad day. Does anyone know how the teams were drawn for the groups? It just looks like the 2 weakest Associate sides were put in with the weaker full member ODI teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I don't see anything to suggest he won't be in the World Cup though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

To VAIOER.
    Lucky you!

How about:
    "Re-Joyce and be glad - he's back"

"We won't change our Stirling for any money"

I know they're not great but might be reserves!

Enjoy the trip. If anything like Jamaica then it will be worth every cent.

In the Caribbean T20, Dockrell has been selected in the Somerset squad, their currently playing Guyana,

this is the Cricinfo link http://tinyurl.com/4gm9j8z and Dockrell gets his first Wicket of the game,

S Chanderpaul c & b Dockrell,

Somerset had some collapse, 105/5 after 17.5 overs to 111 all out 19.6, Dockrell survived though :)...

not suprised Somerset collapsed, they have a very inexperienced squad out there and with no Trescothick they're a much weaker side

I've merged this thread with the Irish World Cup Squad one, to provide us with a single place to discuss general World Cup matters until the tournament itself starts.

During the tourney we can have threads dedicated to that day's play - please state the matches taking place when starting the thread.

For info, here's a guide to the tournament with start times:

No. | Day | Start | Match
    a | Sat Feb 12 | | Warmup - Ireland v New Zealand
    b | Tue Feb 15 | | Warmup - Ireland v Zimbabwe
    1 | Sat Feb 19 | 08:30 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - India v Bangladesh
    2 | Sun Feb 20 | 04:00 GMT 09:30 local | Group A - Kenya v New Zealand
    3 | Sun Feb 20 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Sri Lanka v Canada
    4 | Mon Feb 21 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Australia v Zimbabwe
    5 | Tue Feb 22 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - England v Netherlands
    6 | Wed Feb 23 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Kenya v Pakistan
    7 | Thu Feb 24 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - South Africa v West Indies
    8 | Fri Feb 25 | 04:00 GMT 09:30 local | Group A - Australia v New Zealand
    9 | Fri Feb 25 | 08:30 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - Bangladesh v Ireland
    10 | Sat Feb 26 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Sri Lanka v Pakistan
    11 | Sun Feb 27 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - India v England
    12 | Mon Feb 28 | 04:00 GMT 09:30 local | Group A - Canada v Zimbabwe
    13 | Mon Feb 28 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - Netherlands v West Indies
    14 | Tue Mar 1 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Sri Lanka v Kenya
    15 | Wed Mar 2 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - England v Ireland
    16 | Thu Mar 3 | 04:00 GMT 09:30 local | Group B - Netherlands v South Africa
    17 | Thu Mar 3 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Canada v Pakistan
    18 | Fri Mar 4 | 04:00 GMT 09:30 local | Group A - New Zealand v Zimbabwe
    19 | Fri Mar 4 | 08:30 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - Bangladesh v West Indies
    20 | Sat Mar 5 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Sri Lanka v Australia
    21 | Sun Mar 6 | 04:00 GMT 09:30 local | Group B - England v South Africa
    22 | Sun Mar 6 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - India v Ireland
    23 | Mon Mar 7 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Canada v Kenya
    24 | Tue Mar 8 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - New Zealand v Pakistan
    25 | Wed Mar 9 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - India v Netherlands
    26 | Thu Mar 10 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe
    27 | Fri Mar 11 | 04:00 GMT 09:30 local | Group B - Ireland v West Indies
    28 | Fri Mar 11 | 08:30 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - Bangladesh v England
    29 | Sat Mar 12 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - India v South Africa
    30 | Sun Mar 13 | 04:00 GMT 09:30 local | Group A - Canada v New Zealand
    31 | Sun Mar 13 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Australia v Kenya
    32 | Mon Mar 14 | 03:30 GMT 09:30 local | Group B - Bangladesh v Netherlands
    33 | Mon Mar 14 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Pakistan v Zimbabwe
    34 | Tue Mar 15 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - Ireland v South Africa
    35 | Wed Mar 16 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Australia v Canada
    36 | Thu Mar 17 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - England v West Indies
    37 | Fri Mar 18 | 04:00 GMT 09:30 local | Group B - Ireland v Netherlands
    38 | Fri Mar 18 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - New Zealand v Sri Lanka
    39 | Sat Mar 19 | 03:30 GMT 09:30 local | Group B - Bangladesh v South Africa
    40 | Sat Mar 19 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group A - Australia v Pakistan
    41 | Sun Mar 20 | 04:00 GMT 09:30 local | Group A - Kenya v Zimbabwe
    42 | Sun Mar 20 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Group B - India v West Indies
    43 | Wed Mar 23 | 08:30 GMT 14:30 local | Quarter Final - TBC v TBC (A1 v B4)
    44 | Thu Mar 24 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Quarter Final - TBC v TBC (A2 v B3)
    45 | Fri Mar 25 | 08:30 GMT 14:30 local | Quarter Final - TBC v TBC (A3 v B2)
    46 | Sat Mar 26 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Quarter Final - TBC v TBC (A4 v B1)
    47 | Tue Mar 29 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Semi Final - TBC v TBC
    48 | Wed Mar 30 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Semi Final - TBC v TBC
    49 | Sat Apr 2 | 09:00 GMT 14:30 local | Final - TBC v TBC

Hmm college is not going to be attended as much as it should be

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

World Cup was on display outside the MSC today;)

P1000020.jpg?t=1295179392

Teams for the world cup

South Africa

Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, AB de Villiers (wk), JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Colin Ingram, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Morne van Wyk (wk)

England

Andrew Strauss (capt), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Eoin Morgan, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Ajmal Shahzad, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, Luke Wright, Michael Yardy

West Indies

Darren Sammy (capt), Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo, Darren Bravo, Kieron Pollard, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Smith, Sulieman Benn, Nikita Miller, Carlton Baugh (wk), Andre Rusell, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Adrian Barath.

India

MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli, Yusuf Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Praveen Kumar, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Munaf Patel, Piyush Chawla, R Ashwin

• Advertisement

New Zealand

Daniel Vettori, Hamish Bennett, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Jamie How, Brendon McCullum, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Jacob Oram, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Kane Williamson, Luke Woodcock.

Advertisement