Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,070 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Shiz, losing to Bangladesh was a real ball breaker so.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

D3PO wrote: »
    although your probably right I dont think you can write them off yet. They should beat Holland and then there jsut one big upset playing at home from really causing havoc in this group.

Yeah I agree. I didn't quite phrase my point correctly. Today was a big result in that regard though. I would have thought they had half a chance against the West Indies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

The day night match today finished before the day match:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I don't know what to make of this at all.

First up, I'm even more dissapointed with not beating Bangladesh.
    I didn't think that was possible.

Second, thats two full members who have totally and unequivocally failed in one calendar day. Like obviously its bad in the greater scheme of cricket. I'd go so far as to say that the Associates are doing a better job in that at least when one of us loose, we put up a fight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Bangladeshi fans stoned the Windies bus after they got hammered today. Luckily nobody was hurt as windows were only cracket but what does that say about cricket fans on the sub-continent? Now... im not saying that they're all a bad bunch. But with pictures of fans burning cricket bats after Ireland's win in 2007 and Zaheer Khan & Dhoni's properly being badly damaged after India were sent packing from the same worlc cup, it does show that there's a fair amount of folk over there who are bad loosers to say the least.

I now hate everything about Bangladesh cricket. To see a banner in the crowd at the Ireland game saying '3 years, 10 months, 10 days We'll have out revenge' I thought to myself 'you sad bunch of *****'.

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I don't know what to make of this at all.

First up, I'm even more dissapointed with not beating Bangladesh.
    I didn't think that was possible.

Especially after today's debacle.
    Second, thats two full members who have totally and unequivocally failed in one calendar day. Like obviously its bad in the greater scheme of cricket. I'd go so far as to say that the Associates are doing a better job in that at least when one of us loose, we put up a fight....

Yeah, but Netherland's thumping at the hands of SA will do us no favours as they were the other competitive carrying the flag. However Canada's promising display against Pakistan will cancel it out I guess.

Plus, the top 3 teams are well capable of giving NZ a proper hiding. the Aus - NZ game was far from a contest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Bangladeshi fans stoned the Windies bus after they got hammered today. Luckily nobody was hurt as windows were only cracket but what does that say about cricket fans on the sub-continent? Now... im not saying that they're all a bad bunch. But with pictures of fans burning cricket bats after Ireland's win in 2007 and Zaheer Khan & Dhoni's properly being badly damaged after India were sent packing from the same worlc cup, it does show that there's a fair amount of folk over there who are bad loosers to say the least.

I now hate everything about Bangladesh cricket. To see a banner in the crowd at the Ireland game saying '3 years, 10 months, 10 days We'll have out revenge' I thought to myself 'you sad bunch of *****'.

In fairness there was some stupid things said in the England-Ireland thread about the English too, you'll just always get that sort of thing in sport and life. I'd hope any English people reading it wouldn't think we're a sad bunch of bad winners living in the past. Shocking batting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Bangladeshi fans stoned the Windies bus after they got hammered today.
    Depending what report is read, the "fans" mistakenly targeted the wrong bus, thinking it was the Bangladesh team

In fairness there was some stupid things said in the England-Ireland thread about the English too, you'll just always get that sort of thing in sport and life. I'd hope any English people reading it wouldn't think we're a sad bunch of bad winners living in the past. Shocking batting though.

But sadly, that really is the case here... right now the country is full of idiots who dont care for cricket saying 'ah we beat those bastards at their own game.. haha... lol'...

But sadly, that really is the case here... right now the country is full of idiots who dont care for cricket saying 'ah we beat those bastards at their own game.. haha... lol'...

:D

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    Depending what report is read, the "fans" mistakenly targeted the wrong bus, thinking it was the Bangladesh team
    Either way they're behaving like soccer hooligans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

No sadder than people on this board saying that beating England would mean more than beating a higher ranked side because England are the old enemy.

To hate everything about Bangladeshi cricket is the saddest thing of all though, I dare say you know next to nothing about it. Cricket in Bangladesh is absolutely massive, and they are more passionate about it than they are any other sport. Many of them don't have much in their lives, but their cricket is something they can all come together around and forget the hardships of life.

No sadder than people on this board saying that beating England would mean more than beating a higher ranked side because England are the old enemy.

I'd take a win over England instead of a win over SA or SL not because of any historical factors, but simply because they're the ones who cherry pick our best players.
    To hate everything about Bangladeshi cricket is the saddest thing of all though, I dare say you know next to nothing about it. Cricket in Bangladesh is absolutely massive, and they are more passionate about it than they are any other sport. Many of them don't have much in their lives, but their cricket is something they can all come together around and forget the hardships of life.

No I didnt know that cricket was massive in Bangladesh... :rolleyes:

Bangladeshis passionate? Fair play to them, but to be sore-losers who cant bear to see other teams get on and actually stone a team bus at the World Cup - whether it was meant to be the home side or the visitors, should I excuse this as 'passion' ? No. That's bitterness.

I dunno, at the moment it looks like there is no point in Canada and Kenya being there. While yesterday was great while it lasted it looks like Canada just don't have the batting ability to chase down any target, making any match they are in pointless. And Holland really need another good performance to justify their last 2 rubbish games. Its a good thing we are doing well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

oh pardon us sub-continental third world fans.
    Divert your attention to football hooligans.
    Its usually illiterate part of the population that general go to these, demographic criteria taken into account however. Cricket in 'these' countries is heavily followed, its a passion, honor. You often see fans cry.
    While its understandable why fans would get upset, ofcourse such behavior is frowned upon but no need to paint everyone with the same brush.
    Its like going filming a night out in ireland in Reds or Qbar, then calling everyone here a scumbag.
    I'm not defending their actions, but they do not know any better.

Placebo wrote: »
    oh pardon us sub-continental third world fans.
    Divert your attention to football hooligans.
    Its usually illiterate part of the population that general go to these, demographic criteria taken into account however. Cricket in 'these' countries is heavily followed, its a passion, honor. You often see fans cry.
    While its understandable why fans would get upset, ofcourse such behavior is frowned upon but no need to paint everyone with the same brush.
    Its like going filming a night out in ireland in Reds or Qbar, then calling everyone here a scumbag.
    I'm not defending their actions, but they do not know any better.

If you care to re-read my post, you'll notice that I twice stated that I wasnt referring to the 'everyone'.

As for cricket being a 'passion' there, that doesnt excuse trampish, infantile behaviour. If anything, that carry on is dragging cricket down to the level of soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

The theory is that they thought it was the Bangladeshi team bus.

The theory is that they thought it was the Bangladeshi team bus.
    Either way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Back to Cricket,
    Sri Lanka vs Austrailai.
    Sri Lanka playing 3 spinners and batting first

Looking forward to this match :)

Its quite difficult not to absolutely hate Australia :D

Watching them even when its not against England can be quite enfuriating :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

C'MON THE AUSSIES! I have them to win at 4/5 but the betting should get more exciting later. Sri Lanka 57/2 at present. :D

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Dreadlock+Holiday/sgiLD?src=5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Rain puts an end to what was shaping up to be an interesting match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Any chance of that nasty rain heading to Bangalore tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Wow, Sky hyping up an Ireland cricket match as part of a Super Sunday. Never thought I'd see the day. Fantastic stuff :D

KevIRL wrote: »
    Wow, Sky hyping up an Ireland cricket match as part of a Super Sunday. Never thought I'd see the day. Fantastic stuff :D

Enjoy the moment, the way things are looking for the next world cup it might never happen again ;)

Enjoy the moment, the way things are looking for the next world cup it might never happen again ;)
    Its not a 'world' cup then, is it?

Is this not a world cup because Afghanistan and Scotland aren't involved?

Saying that, I would be incredibly surprised if the proposed format wasn't changed to allow at least 2 associate nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

correct its the ICC Champions Trophy mark 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

If you don't give all the nations that play a sport a proper chance to take part, then the World Cup is to cricket what the World Series is to baseball.

• Advertisement

Neither of those could manage to qualify.

Advertisement