Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards Better Body Super Challenge 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

pollyos wrote: »
    Well done, I am thinking about giving this a go in the next few days

Go for it!

Did a home workout today - legs are feeling the burn!!! Day 2 of C25K tomorrow will be tough I imagine! Doing lots of stretching but my poor legs just aren't used to this kind of movement!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pollyos

Snap I did a 30 min workout at home yesterday and can barely walk today, likewise did loads of stretches but legs obviously aren't used to it. Might leave the c25k till tomorrow and have a hot bath today! Best of luck with day 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Well done c25k'ers, I'm a grad myself, it definitely works!

Did workout B this morning, 2 sets, with 5kg for most...
    must have been good cos I could barely wash after, my arms were so fatigued.
    Due to go for a run tomorrow but will have to skip it, forgot I have an appt. for a colonic :eek: Better body from the inside out huh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Well, everyone seems to nicely motivated so far :).

I did my measurements on Sunday and as suspected, Christmas took its toll, I put on nearly 2kilo - jumped from 64.5 to 66.3

However, I'm back to bootcamp with a vengeance, and am doing my best to ignore the aching muscles. I also made egg muffins (from the breakfast thread) for my mid morning snack (instead of a biscuit or two), and I've had only two small pieces of chocolate in 10 days. It's the small things that make me feel virtuous :D

I'm on holidays next week, but I'll try to behave and will post the results of my sins Sunday week :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Day 3,
    Sticking to my food plan. 1500 calories, 6 meals, watching and tracking portion sizes carefully using Livestrong.com.

Feel a tiny bit hungry but no stomach rumblings. I think it's more cravings (staying away from the junk food and soft drinks) than actual hunger so I think that'll balance out over the next week or so as I get used to it more.

Diet is good, fat content is low, trying to get in plenty protein in my main meals. Bought some Whey Protein last night, not planning to go mad on this but a small shake in place of a bad snack is great.

Went for a 4 mile jog last night, its a small start but I'm very happy, tonight it's been snowing out but doing some home exercise.

Anyway, gonna stick with it and report on my stats after 1 week.

One question I have. In the past I've gone on similar food plans but it's usually only for a few weeks at a time. Once I go back to normal the weight comes back on very easy. It's like my body is saying. OH! Calories! Lets store those up! Is there a way around that? I guess it's diet, if I go back to 2000 calories its better to be lots of good food rather than a burger :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

All going well so far.... this morning's Swim session marked the 6th day in a row of exercise:
    • Saturday - Indoor Rock Climbing
    • Sunday - Squash
    • Monday - Swim (30 lengths)
    • Tuesday - Cycle to/from work (15km)
    • Wednesday - Swim (32 lengths)
    • Thursday - Swim (34 lengths)

I've also been good on the food front, making virtually all my meals from scratch and limiting the carbs as much as I can. I am a carb fiend though so they certainly haven't been eliminated altogether. I'm keeping an excel based food log that I will post at the end of each week.

The only issue on the horizon is a weekend trip to Amsterdam starting this evening. I will be drinking tomorrow night as I'm at a Smirnoff sponsored Masquerade Ball but I'll be doing my damn-dest to limit any damage. Even packing some trainers and running gear so I can keep up the exercise record with a daily jog!

Wow you're really doing well! Have a great time in Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

juke wrote: »
    Well, everyone seems to nicely motivated so far :).

I did my measurements on Sunday and as suspected, Christmas took its toll, I put on nearly 2kilo - jumped from 64.5 to 66.3

However, I'm back to bootcamp with a vengeance, and am doing my best to ignore the aching muscles. I also made egg muffins (from the breakfast thread) for my mid morning snack (instead of a biscuit or two), and I've had only two small pieces of chocolate in 10 days. It's the small things that make me feel virtuous :D

I'm on holidays next week, but I'll try to behave and will post the results of my sins Sunday week :eek:

Hiya Juke, just wondering where you got the recipe for the egg muffins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

thehamo wrote: »
    Right, So, measurements taken. Gonna start from tomorrow, even though I kinda started the diet from today. Getting my bike tomorrow (hopefully do going to take that out for a spin and count that as my first days exercise.

My measurements are as follows (satrting point)

Chest 46"
    Wasit (as measured around the bellybutton) 39" (although I wear a size 36 trouser:confused:)
    Knees 18.5"
    Leg (below buttocks) 26"
    Weight, 15.5 stone.

As a side note, I used to weigh just over 18 stone and lost under 5 stone at 13.7. 15.5 is the heaviest i've been since 2004. Operation kick my ass in to gear!!!!

first weeks measurements taken.

weight 15 stone. Loss of 5lbs
    chest 44" loss 2"
    waist No Change
    Knee no change
    leg no change
    bicep no change.

Loss of 5lbs is a good start but looking at my measurements im wondering where it was lost!! I wouldnt be carrying much fat around my legs they would be more muscle.

I'd have liked to loose a bit around the spare tyre but sure cant sniff at 5lbs loss, with very little exercise.

So here's hoping next week will prove better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Hiya Juke, just wondering where you got the recipe for the egg muffins?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69911846&postcount=22

Using 6 large eggs, and forgetting to put in the spinach, I got 9, and they took about 20 min @180 degrees.

• Advertisement

First day of couch to 5k completed, proud of myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LoneWatie

Done my weekly weigh in this morning down to 273.6 pounds from 276 last week slow and steady.
    Have been doing a 700 cal deficet and still allows just under 3000 cals and 2 hours brisk walking every day.

Trying to get diet cleaner cutting sugar from tea odd can of coke instead of 2 a day no more biscuits and very little booze.

Will be upping the exercise in a few weeks as of now even walking hurts my legs and m feet have lots of blisters not used to exercise.

Will take measurement next week hopefully will be in decline size wise.
    took photos today will take in 14 days more and hopefully will be a difference:)

really excited about the next few months.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Started this five days ago. Haven't eaten a bite of chocolate, or even a spare mince-pie, since. Haven't had a drink since New Years.

Already seeing improvements in my running, push-ups, squats and sit-ups. Can't wait to see how I'm looking come the turn of March. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I'd like to start this and join y'all if I may? I won't be starting till Sunday, first day rollerderbying will provide the excercise, but tonight and tomorrow have meals out planned so while I'd love to say I'd skip posh restaurant dessert... :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Weighted in done down 2lbs, no real change in waist measurement. I can start to feel the clothes getting loser:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Week 1 finished.

Beginning weight: 13 stone

Weight this morning: 12stone 9lbs

Weight loss: 5lbs - got on the scales 5 times and then got someone else to check thinking i had made a mistake.

My other measurements were not that different, but my jeans are much, much looser. I suspect my initial measurements were hit and miss as my bicep went up by 2cm's (impossible) and others went down.

Am really happy with that because although I have followed the rules, I haven't starved myself at all and eaten huge dinners. Have limited my carbs a bit, but have substituted them with quinoa and lentils so don't notice. What carbs I do eat are wholemeal - i.e. bread, tortilla, chapatti's. Have also increased my intake of veg hugely. And i'm watching my portions.

Have worked out 5 days and took 2 rest days. Went to the gym twice, swimming once, walking once and started the C25K. Started W2d1 as my fab BF was running it with me and I didn't want him to be too bored by starting at week 1. Found it manageable though. Have also surprised my self at how much I enjoyed the excercise and that I wasn't too sore after it.

My biggest thing last week (apart from switching to wholemeal) was not snacking which i normally do every day, drink coke / orange squash (again every day) or eat out (which I used do about twice a week).

Next week is going to be harder, I'm away for work next Mon / Tue. My company was taken over and we have already been told that there will be loads of coffee / biscuit breaks + dinner and drinks (I work in a drinking company).

If I lose 1-2 lb next week I'll be more then happy. My goal is still a trip to Australia which we booked last week and would like to lose a stone by then and develop some healthier habits.

Not liking the taking of the photos though. I look like a lump of jelly.

Am also enjoying reading everyone elses posts - i'm finding them really motivating to know that there are others in the same boat as me! Thanks.

Dinkie wrote: »
    Week 1 finished.

Beginning weight: 13 stone

Weight this morning: 12stone 9lbs

Weight loss: 5lbs - got on the scales 5 times and then got someone else to check thinking i had made a mistake.

My other measurements were not that different, but my jeans are much, much looser. I suspect my initial measurements were hit and miss as my bicep went up by 2cm's (impossible) and others went down.

Am really happy with that because although I have followed the rules, I haven't starved myself at all and eaten huge dinners. Have limited my carbs a bit, but have substituted them with quinoa and lentils so don't notice. What carbs I do eat are wholemeal - i.e. bread, tortilla, chapatti's. Have also increased my intake of veg hugely. And i'm watching my portions.

Have worked out 5 days and took 2 rest days. Went to the gym twice, swimming once, walking once and started the C25K. Started W2d1 as my fab BF was running it with me and I didn't want him to be too bored by starting at week 1. Found it manageable though. Have also surprised my self at how much I enjoyed the excercise and that I wasn't too sore after it.

My biggest thing last week (apart from switching to wholemeal) was not snacking which i normally do every day, drink coke / orange squash (again every day) or eat out (which I used do about twice a week).

Next week is going to be harder, I'm away for work next Mon / Tue. My company was taken over and we have already been told that there will be loads of coffee / biscuit breaks + dinner and drinks (I work in a drinking company).

If I lose 1-2 lb next week I'll be more then happy. My goal is still a trip to Australia which we booked last week and would like to lose a stone by then and develop some healthier habits.

Not liking the taking of the photos though. I look like a lump of jelly.

Am also enjoying reading everyone elses posts - i'm finding them really motivating to know that there are others in the same boat as me! Thanks.
    Well done, keep up the good work, 5ib is a lot!

Well done Dinkie, 5lbs is a fab loss.

A good "better body" day for me. I did my 5k race today & I placed! 3rd female in at 26:31 :D Was really thrilled. I'm hoping my ass won't be too sore tomorrow so I can do workout B tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hagbard

The measurements this morning were very promising, biceps and chest slightly thicker, belly unchanged and weight up slightly.

And I had my first bit of sparring in the boxing club this morning, which was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Well done everyone on your hard work so far, you're an inspiration and I'm delighted to see so much enthusiasm and commitment!

• Advertisement

g'em wrote: »
    Well done everyone on your hard work so far, you're an inspiration and I'm delighted to see so much enthusiasm and commitment!

Every time I want a bit of chocolate I see you in my head G'em! Do you know how much it killed me to carry around my free Butlers chocolate all afternoon in my bag to hand it over to dh! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Do you know how much it killed me to carry around my free Butlers chocolate all afternoon in my bag to hand it over to dh! :D

LOL!! I'm incredibly impressed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I got a tummy bug :( So results will be skewed either way, though I had been really good all week :mad:

right, literally have eaten my last biccy for the next 8 weeks. Measurements etc to be taken and posted tomorrow. Will it be ok to follow this while on a low carb (not no carb) diet? I can't see there being much conflict but just want to be sure...

Good luck Jessibelle. Have a great week 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Just took my measurements,
    dropped an inch from my bust,
    half an inch from my waist
    an inch from my thighs
    5lbs in weight.
    Managed easily to get in five 30 minute walks, hoping to get 6 in this week.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Just took my measurements,
    dropped an inch from my bust,
    half an inch from my waist
    an inch from my thighs
    5lbs in weight.
    Managed easily to get in five 30 minute walks, hoping to get 6 in this week.

Super result, well done you

Right mesurements: All in the largest possible units to shame me into lower numbers ;)

Chest (1) 110cm
    Waist (2) 100cm
    Body weight 178lbs
    Height 5" 4.

I've quite muscular legs but carry a lot of weight on my midriff wihich I really want to shift.
    So today thus far
    breakfast: 1 pint warm water with lemon slice
    1 cup black coffee
    1 oz cheese, 3 ham slices (usually eat way more just hugely badly prepared and rushing this morning)

Lunch: Peppered mackrel fillet & Large green salad (Cucumbers, lettuce, scallions, brocolli and green peppers)

Dinner (will be) 2 * small lamb cutlets, &some form of ratatuille with courgettes, aubergine, onion, red peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes (need to use up veg in drawer)

Excercise: 30 minute brisk walk at lunch.

I will probably have a least one more cup black coffee this evening, in class tonight so tend to grab one on the break.
    I'll also have drunk another 2 litres plus water over the day, I'm already on my 3rd 500ml bottle, it helps the room I'm in has the heat cranked to the max :)

Jesibelle, have you read "fat around the middle", I found it great, like yourself I hold my weight on my waist & around the ribs.

• Advertisement

I haven't no, but I'm off to amazon now to have a sneak peak then to the library to order :)
    I take steroids for an underlying condition which seemingly predisposes me to abdominal fat storage, which in turn (touch wood so far nothings happened) predisposes you to type 2 diabetes, heart problems etc. So yeah, it has to go before I do :o Also from what I was reading before Christmas, we've wy too many hidden carbs in food these days (hidden sugars etc) so going for a low complex carb (grains, veg etc) rather than a standard high carb (pastas breads etc) diet can only be beneficial. So here's hoping, if I drop a stone over the 8 weeks I'll be ecstatically happy :)

Advertisement