Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards Better Body Super Challenge 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Copper23 wrote: »
    Midweek check in.

Mixed week this week. Did very well earlier this week, kept strict with the diet and got lots of exercise in. My lowest weight in was 191lbs which is way down but I think that had a lot to do with a really strict regime.

Last night I ended up caving for the first time and having a takeout for dinner due to looooooooooong work hours. I think the 191 was a little off. I'm probably going to weight in at 193-194 on Monday for my end of week weigh in. But it's still progress. I just want to get back on track and not cave again with the food.

Unfortunatley work has been dictating my schedule which doesn't help things but I'm still doing ok.

Planning another trip to Wachussets tomorrow to learn some snowboarding so as long as I can keep the diet a bit in check thats going to be a savage workout.

So anyway, a little deviation from the plan this week but still making steady progress. Lets wait until Monday morning and hope for a good weighin.

My first goal is to reach 189lbs, thats 13.5 stone. I think I might make that in another week or so. So I'm delighted with that. Once there my next goal is to continue down to 13 stone and so on.

Attaching my progress to date.

Wish me luck.

SNOWBOARDING- lucky you, and there I am changing my routes to ensure walking doesnt get too boring!! keep up the good work, and a little deviation does no harm - just as long as its a LITTLE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

down one kg, so its just a half a kg. since last week i went up by half kg. waist down by 25mm

well its going in the right direction this week. i would be happy with half a kg a week for the rest of the time left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Dinkie wrote: »
    Weight at start: 13lbs
    Weight week 1: 12stone 9
    Weight week 2: 12 stone 7

O.k. I didn't lose the 3lbs I wanted this week. I lost 1lb so:

13lbs
    Weight week 3: 12 stone 6

I'm putting the lack of weight loss down to that time of the month (good excuse and I was craving food) and I went out for dinner once this week and had a glass of wine.

This was the first week I noticed a difference in my waist and bust measurements so happy about that. I have also nearly dropped a trouser size (my size 16 are too lose, and size 14 just about fit). My skin also looks great. Haven't worn makeup all week it looks so good.

I think from now on I will only be losing 1-2 lbs as I get used to the diet / excercise. Also, I had been eating mainly veg/salads. However due to a couple of fainting and dizzy spells over the past couple weeks I've started increasing the amount of carbs and meat in my diet again.

This week I'm away for work again, which means I don't have as much control over my diet. Excercise wise I'm aiming for 3 x gym (1hr) and 3 x runs. I am going to repeat C25K Week 4 as it nearly killed me last week and was hardly able to finish up the run.

Till next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Week two done :)

Chest (1) 110cm (no change)
    Waist (2) 198cm (down 2cm
    Body weight 174lbs

Have been eaing alot of protein heavy meals this week and not drinking as much fluids as I shoul so I think that some of the lack of weight loss may be fluid retention. That said it's a lb down which is in the right direction...
    Finished C25K week 2 this week, was alright, I won't lie and say I found it easy, but once I got into it, I carried on fine, Other days it was a combo of brisk walking and rollerskating, stressed over a few things this week and have to say it's helping a huge amount, but with that said, I'm tired every evening before bed now :D
    Week Three looms....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Well, everyone who's posting seems to be doing well :)

I'm a week back from holidays, and have done 2 sessions of bootcamp so dared to do my measurements yesterday.

I'm happy! 63.9k. and a few cm's down overall except calves and thighs - which I expected.

Because I go to bootcamp, the exercise part of this challenge is fine - I also go for a walk every lunchtime at work.

My main problem is organising lunches in advance - I don't :( and then end up picking up a sandwich, usually white bread :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Half way point assessment

start weight 4/01 - 136'4
    week 1 - 134'6
    week 2 - 132'4
    week 3 - 133'2
    week 4 - 131'2

Body fat
    - down 4.4%
    Measurements - bust, upper arm, and right thigh remain the same, but thrilled with 1.5 inches off my waist and 2 inches off my hips! :D

I am feeling confident I am going to meet my goals for this challenge, just need to lose another half inch off waist, and 1lb2oz. I have spoken to a p.t down the gym and he's going to do my body fat for me with the callipers when I've finished the challenge. My scales is good for measuring a trend but I'm hoping the result is way off!

after three weeks of walking, I kicked off week four by dusting off my old exercise DVD's - back from the good ole days when I used to fit.

Loving them and giving it loads, really starting to feel much better and sleep better too.

Who knows might get myself back to the gym proper by the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Who knows might get myself back to the gym proper by the summer.

Why wait till summer? Most poeple in the gym are in the same boat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Ok I'll do a mid week checkin.

This week has been tough, really haven't got much exercise in. Work has me swamped working late nights and the blizzard this week in Boston has left me without much outdoor activity.

I'm pretty much the same weight as I checked in last week.

I'm not giving up, this week has been irregular and I'm still really motivated that I can still see the results for the first 3 weeks (I often put it on just as quick as I lost it but even with a bad week I didn't over eat, just didn't get all the exercise I wanted in) So Gonna plough through, expect a good update for next week.

I could have slacked off and just not posted but I think reporting in keeps me focused.

27/01/11
    Weight: 13st 12lbs
    Chest: 41
    Waist: 39
    Bicep: 13.5

03/02/11
    Weight: 13st 11lbs (9.5 loss overall)
    Chest: 41 (no change)
    Waist: 39 (no change)
    Bicep: 13.5 (still the same, getting a bit more defined)

Had a bad weekend so had to work hard to turn in around and managed a one pound loss. Planning in getting under 13s10lbs this week, feeling good so shouldn't be a problem.

Target is 1 stone loss by the 24th of March. Wouldn't be too bothered if I didn't reach that once the measurement reflect the change and a reduction in body fat.

• Advertisement

Why wait till summer? Most poeple in the gym are in the same boat!

True, but I am ashamed of the amount of weight I have put on and how unfit I am.
    Think I will join at the start of March instead of waiting till summer, by then the Dvd's probably wont be enough anyway. I used to love the gym, esp spin class.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Hey all,

Time for an overdue check-in. Luckily it's just my posting that has been sloppy as I've actually been pretty dedicated to the fitness and diet side of things!

Filling in the gaps since my last log on Friday 21st:

Exercise:
    Sat 22nd - Hike: Coulson Circular (10km)
    Sun 23rd - Indoor Rock Climbing + 15km cycle
    Mon 24th - Cycle Commute (10km)
    Tue 25th - Swim (42 lengths)
    Wed 26th - None (All day work event)
    Thu 27th - Cycle Commute (10km)
    Fri 28th - Swim (44 lengths)
    Sat 29th - Hike: Windsor Great Walk (24km!!!)
    Sun 30th - None (my poor blistered feet!)
    Mon 31st - Cycle Commute (10km)
    Tue 1st - Swim (46 lengths)
    Wed 2nd - Swim (48 lengths)
    Thu 3rd - None (dinner out with friends)
    Fri 4th - Swim (50 lengths)

Stats:
    Starting Weight: 67.5kg
    Mon 17th Jan : 66.2kg
    Sat 3rd Feb: 65.8kg
    Weight Loss to Date: 1.7kg

Again not an amazing result on the scales but I do feel a lot better and have gotten compliments on looking well from people that wouldn't necessarily know about the challenge I'm undertaking.

I'm particularly pleased on the swimming. Yesterday I hit my major milestone of 50 lengths. Thats 1.25km and the maximum distance I think I want to do at this point. From here on it will be about increasing the lengths per interval and lowering my times. In yesterday session the 50 lengths was broken down into (8 - 8 - 8 - 16 - 10). I surprised myself with how easy the 16 was so I think I can really push to maybe complete 50 in (20 slow - 20 slow - 10 fast) by the end of next week.

I've signed up for two sprint triathlons later this year around Dorney Lake just outside London. So anyhoo, all is going well and I'm continuing a pace!

Dinkie wrote: »
    O.k. I didn't lose the 3lbs I wanted this week. I lost 1lb so:

13lbs

I'm putting the lack of weight loss down to that time of the month (good excuse and I was craving food) and I went out for dinner once this week and had a glass of wine.

This was the first week I noticed a difference in my waist and bust measurements so happy about that. I have also nearly dropped a trouser size (my size 16 are too lose, and size 14 just about fit). My skin also looks great. Haven't worn makeup all week it looks so good.

I think from now on I will only be losing 1-2 lbs as I get used to the diet / excercise. Also, I had been eating mainly veg/salads. However due to a couple of fainting and dizzy spells over the past couple weeks I've started increasing the amount of carbs and meat in my diet again.

This week I'm away for work again, which means I don't have as much control over my diet. Excercise wise I'm aiming for 3 x gym (1hr) and 3 x runs. I am going to repeat C25K Week 4 as it nearly killed me last week and was hardly able to finish up the run.

Till next week :D

I'm down another pound so am now 12stone 5 pounds.

I also appear to have decreased in measurement around the boobs and waist. I'm not really taking this as fact as sometimes I take the measurements and other times its my OH. I suspect we are taking it in different places.

I got my second body fat measurement done in the GYM on sat as I am now 4 weeks in the gym. I was 42.8% fat and now I'm 38.5%. This equates to 5kilo's of fat how ever that works.

Am happy with that - but am now feeling a bit over the diet.

Anyway - till next Sat. Good luck all. ;)

Quick check in. Like to check in on a monday to report on the last week.

So I'm currently at a stable 192lbs. Thats just down a little in 2 weeks. As I've already posted, work and weather have lead to less exercise the past 2 weeks but I'm just back from a 5 miler so hopefully back on track now to drop the weight like the first 3 weeks.

Short check in this week but I'm on course so still happy, just need to keep the focus now my evenings will be free this week again.

ah, up this week, just a smidge though, from 131'2 to 131'8 but still the wrong way:mad:
    I had a bit of a sugar fest last Wednesday after doing an crazy hard workout with the Nike master trainers (Lifestyle Dundrum did an event) on Tuesday evening, it just wiped me, I'm not used to that kind of work out at all! And then on Friday it was a friends 40th and after a few drinks I succumbed to the evil platters...
    ho hum, will put it behind me and aim for 130'8 this week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Ive decided to start doing the challenge only now but Ive an excuse to only start now. I broke the tibia and fibia late november I was so pissed off to do anything. I know I can lose weight I weighed 19st 5 pounds before. I now weigh about 14st 1 pound..... Im 6ft I just want to hit under 13stone even 12st 13pounds will do.... For the next 6 weeks all I can do is watch my food and use the exercise bike , weights , and situps and some swimming ..... Im going to try my best to hit my target weight so here goes......If I get there it will be my lightest since I was 15 and thats 15 years ago..... here goes

Quick check in,
    Keeping up the walking - no more bus for me
    Added in and seem to sticking to the exercise DVD's

Down 2.5 at my weigh-in yesterday

Bust = -1inch
    Waist = no change
    Hips = -1inch
    Thighs = no change

Delighted with the inch off the bust and hips, heading in the right direction,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Fair play to the whole lot of you. Inspirational stuff!

13lbs
    Weight week 4: 12 stone 5
    Weight week 5: 12 stone 3

Managed to lose 2lbs this week, so very happy. Ate out three times this week (all for work), but managed to get some healthy options. Managed the Gym 4 times and went running once. Am still going mad on the house work to get some extra activity in.

Also had a lot of soup this week and that seems to have made the difference weight wise. Oh, and I cut my carbs down a lot this week.

Next week i'm going for another 2lbs. If that happens I will have lost a stone since signing up for this thing (I lost a pound between signing up and actually starting to measure/weigh).

I also need to go shopping this week as I have have no trousers that fit me anymore, and my tops are all getting a bit loose. Am going to comprimise with trousers for now, and wait to lose a bit more weight before buying new tops (can't get away with wearing my old trousers - they are hanging off me :D:D).

Till next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

I've kept up the exercise and not lost a pound in weight.

• Advertisement

Walls wrote: »

Then it must be your diet?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've kept up the exercise and fallen off the diet. :o

Hi everyone.
    Weighed in at 191.6lbs this morning. So a steady loss, well on track.
    My lowest weight was 189.2lbs on friday.

I'm thinking of changing my end of week check in to fridays. It's kinda funny how the weight fluctuates from day to day. I notice that if I drink of lot of water on any particular day it seems to flush out anything I might be storing and the scales goes steadily downwards each day. I can get some fluctuations otherwise. Also being the weekend I might end up having a slightly larger dinner or a pint or two. Not going overboard, keeping well under my maintenance calories but might not quite be as low as my goals during the week so it seems to fall off during the week and keep stable over the weekends. I'm happy enough with that. If I was to cut out everything I'd probably fall off the diet. It's nice to know the weekend I can have a nice meal or a pint without going overboard as a reward for a good week. Helps keep you on track.

I'm keeping a chart though and the trend is well on track with my goal so I'm delighted.
    I haven't really been keeping many measurements other than the scales but I tried on a few shirts last night which were a bit "snug" for the past few months and they were feeling good again.

So I'm 5 weeks in and started on 203.8 lbs so 13.2lbs loss is really encouraging.

I'm feeling good. I usually go on a health kick for 2/3 weeks and then get back into normal eating habits so I just maintain whatever couple of lb's I lost. I think this challenge is helping, because I've committed to reporting each week and really don't want to report a bad week.

My first goal was 13.5 stone. Thats 189lbs so I feel I'll hit that this week.Then re-baseline the goal at 13 stone, 182lbs for the next 4/5 weeks and keep it up.

Your point being? (Stuffs crisps into face)

Your point being? (Stuffs crisps into face)

You'll need to improve your diet.

You'll need to improve your diet.

Touche.

Bah , another not so hot result...and I have a ton of social occasions coming up in the next 2 weeks!

start weight 4/01 - 136'4
    week 1 - 134'6
    week 2 - 132'4
    week 3 - 133'2
    week 4 - 131'2
    week 5 - 131'8
    week 6 - 131'4
    week 7 -
    week 8 -
    GOAL - 130

Quick check in as I haven't had a chance to take measurements.

03/01/2010 - 14st 6.5lbs
    08/02/2010 - 13st 9.5lbs

Total loss to date - 11lbs

Very happy so far. Training hasn't changed a whole lot but I've completely changed the foods I eat and not just for a few months but for life. Almost all white breads, pasta and potatoes have been removed completely and after an initial shock to the system I'm starting to love salads.

My new goal is to break the 13 stone barrier by the end of March. The last time I've been sub 13 must have been back in my teens so that would be a fantastic achievement for me.

Will keep posting my progress here for the forseeable future.

I've kept up the exercise and fallen off the diet. :o

What was the diet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What was the diet?

Up to and including Christmas, and going back for as long as I can remember, I was routinely eating 3 bars of chocolate a day. Apple pies, mince pies, bread and butter pudding, Oxford Lunch, Subway cookies, bourbon cream biscuits with my tea, all sorts of rubbish. When I'd go out I'd go through 10-12 units of alcohol and follow it up with Burger King/Eddy Rocket's/kebabs.

So I tried to cut out chocolate and baked goods, replacing them with more fruit, nuts and seeds. I also cut out alcohol completely. I've had only 2 pints of Guinness and 2 pints of cider since New Years Eve, and didn't drink at all in January, so I've been very successful from that point of view.

I was able to keep that up for two weeks, lost 5 or 6 pounds in the process, but then I lost my will-power for a while. Started sneaking Twixes and Kitkats back in. Ate a full tub of Ben & Jerry's ice-cream in 24 hours a fortnight ago.

I've kicked myself back on track since then though. I think the secret is a simple one: porridge for breakfast. Weetabix usually does the trick, but I find I eat the least junk-food on days when I eat porridge in the morning.

Advertisement