Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards Better Body Super Challenge 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

g'em wrote: »
    The thread bump on this was such a good idea, there's THREE HYOOOOGE boxes of chocolates in the office that I have to walk by every time I go out the door and it's all I can do not to launch myself at them :o

But I'm standing firm alongside my fellow boardsie challengers and ignoring them!!! :D

I received a selection box and a terrys chocolate orange there only yesterday. Uncool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Naos wrote: »
    I received a selection box and a terrys chocolate orange there only yesterday. Uncool.

Regift it to someone - bonus karma points, save-the-planet-recycling points AND a slimmer waistline: TRIPLE WIN :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Oh I want to do this!

Prizes may help to engage my competitive edge though, any chance Boards.ie would sponsor a little fitness gift for us? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

eilo1 wrote: »
    Oh I want to do this!

Prizes may help to engage my competitive edge though, any chance Boards.ie would sponsor a little fitness gift for us? :P

To be honest - I felt so good after the last challenge that it was a prize in itself! Looking forward to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Vorenus

thehamo wrote: »
    12.5lbs? Jesus, a big baby, but a very small man, not sure you need loose the weight:P

Disaster, my first post as well!:o 12 st 5lbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Oh I want to do this!

Kettlebell! I'd love one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I'm in too! Currently at 18 stone but actually fairly fit. Its my diet that needs sorting.

I started the weekend just gone but will add in the measurements on Saturday like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Oh I want to do this!

Hmmmm.... Leave this with me. I'm not making any promises but I'll try ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Not starting this properly until Monday, but I'm dragging myself off the couch for a jog now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I will sign up for this. I meant to do this last year, but would never have managed it.

Am 5"6 and 13 stone 1. Admit to 12 stone 3.
    Female.
    I tried telling people how much I weigh, but no one believes me.

I travel mon to fri and spend most of my time in hotels - so staying off the mix of petrol station snacks and hotel food will be a challenge. To aid the process, I have will go and put a skinny picture on the fridge door :D

My motivation is that I am off to Oz in April for 4 weeks for a friends wedding. Last time in Oz I was 10 stone. I know I won't lose 3 stone, but I want to look and be healthier. I used to love sport, but have become a couch potato.

Thanks G'em. I've followed you on the fitness forum for a long time, and actually trust your ideas (compared to all the other methods I've tried).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Right, I'm in. I'd already started my own plan, but this will help with motivation :). I'm planning on losing a stone in 10 weeks, which should be entirely achievable. The thing about me is, I usually lose about 10lbs, feel incredibly proud of myself, and stop. Then I put the weight back on 6 months later :o. So this year I'm really going to lose the full 14lbs, and keep it off!

Just did a mini workout/trial run of my Tom Venuto superset programme
    Just 1 set with my 4kg dumbells cos that's all I have at home.

Will do 2 sets next time and from then on I should be up to 3 sets and some decent weights once I get to the gym.

Warm-Up
    Arm Circles,Tai Chi Twists, Truck Circles, Prisoner Lunges, Push-Ups

Workout A
    Dumbell Squat
    Bird dog

Dumbell Split Squat
    Dumbell Row

Dumbell Bench Press
    Plank

One legged toe raises

Will do workout B tomorrow , again 1 set, and Saturday morning a 5k run.
    Sunday rest and then kids back to school & me to gym on Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LoneWatie

Hello all sign me up please.
    Male 34 6ft 4
    20 stone:o
    Goals eat better
    fell better
    lose weight through good diet and exercise
    keep the weight off
    incorporate weight training from feburary on.

After a disaster of a year in 2010 had a bad accident broke both legs and nearly went insane.
    Im back on two feet now and the self pity has gone but my weight has really ballooned.
    I weighed myself on christmas eve and was a very depressing 283 pounds just over 20 stone a disgrace and with my leg injuries a big hinderance on full recovery.

I saw some photos taken recently and by jesus im some slob to be honest more chins than a chinese phone book
    man boobs
    2 bellys
    and clothes that are ill fitting cant wear much but loose stuff.

I weighed myself this morning and after 2 weeks of a fairly clean diet little booze and a 2 hour walk each day im down to 276 pounds a small dent but encouraging none the less.

Im working on trying to get six meals a day but its tough im going to get my flatmate to take some before and after photos in my speedos :pac: there shorts so dont look to rediculous.

Just measured my chest at 120cm probably :(a good b cup
    and my waist at the belly button is 126cm

hoping to see these numbers decrease over the coming weeks and months im looking long term.
    Thanks Gem so helpful if you name your favourite charity ill give a donation for your free great advice and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

This sounds like a good idea, count me in! I'm planning to start on the 10th with the excercise as I start boxing class that day and all my college assignments are due that morning.. :eek:

I've already done the veg and wholegrains shop so I'm just re-adjusting my body to a normal sugar content after christmas!

Dont have a weighing scales, do they have them in gyms? Planning to join one in a few days. I'm 5.5" and about 9st. Major aim is to get my body back feeling good, I'm 22 and I already get pains if try to pick something up off the floor :) So looking to build strength and fitness, if weight falls off in the mean time I'm ok with that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

Count me in....

I took up the gym about 3 months ago and went quite regularly. Went from 85kg - 79kg (I'm 5' 10", male).

My goals for the year are to drop fat to a level where I can see the six-pack and then slowly bulk. I reckon that the six-pack may be visible if I drop to 75kg AND add some muscle (i.e., I'd be losing more than 4kg of fat).

Booze is the downfall and, if I can stay off that, I'll be sorted. My diet vastly improved last year (until the Christmas downfall). I'll be getting that back on track pretty quickly.

This year, it'll be me doing the food shopping for the house so as soon as the current batch of frozen burgers/pizzas/etc is gone, the whole house will be starting to eat healthy - whether they like it or not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I'm definitely in:)

Various injuries last year among other things have meant I've put up a bit of weight which I would like very much to lose. I'm injury free now and getting married this year, so I'm rearing to go:D

Most of all tho, I just want to feel better; when you are fit, you just feel so fantastic and there's nothing like it.

I've put a few things in place this week, but I'll get everything else prepared at the weekend, and start proper on Monday:cool:

Can I have a one coffee everyday tho? Just a small one, no milk, no sugar??

I reeeeally love my morning coffee:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

Can I have a one coffee everyday tho? Just a small one, no milk, no sugar??

I reeeeally love my morning coffee:o

Nothing wrong with coffee... even with semi-skimmed milk. I'd even argue that it's a good thing pre-excercise if it gives you a boost to work that little harder.

It's the sugar and/or the cream in the fancier, Starbucks-style drinks that wreck havoc if you're looking to loose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Didnt bump the Tread to not take part in it :D.
    Count me in. Goals to follow later because I'll be sacked if found on this now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Right, So, measurements taken. Gonna start from tomorrow, even though I kinda started the diet from today. Getting my bike tomorrow (hopefully do going to take that out for a spin and count that as my first days exercise.

My measurements are as follows (satrting point)

Chest 46"
    Wasit (as measured around the bellybutton) 39" (although I wear a size 36 trouser:confused:)
    Knees 18.5"
    Leg (below buttocks) 26"
    Weight, 15.5 stone.

As a side note, I used to weigh just over 18 stone and lost under 5 stone at 13.7. 15.5 is the heaviest i've been since 2004. Operation kick my ass in to gear!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Just did my first serious training session of 2011, delighted (ahem serious maybe an exageration :p) But I feel great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I'm in......with reservations :o.

I have a weeks holidays on the 15th Jan. So whilst I'm not worried about the exercise part (I'll be skiing), food and drink will be my downfall. However, once in this, hopefully I'll have sufficient incentive to get back on the wagon when I get back.

I'm 5ft odd, and was 64.5k before Christmas. No idea yet about BMI etc. I'll do measurements on Sundays.

I started bootcamp (thanks to Boards Deals :)) in October and try to go 3 times a week. Since then I've lost about 5k without dieting, and I certainly feel fitter (and I like to think I've built up some muscles too :p). Hopefully this will give me the incentive to watch my eating (portion sizes especially) and drinking.

My goal, to get to 60k, and develop a fitness regime that I'll stick to, and look forward to. My problem, like for so many, is pure laziness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Hey folks,
    So I already said I'm in, here's my plan & goals:

Plan is to start from Monday. I will be good until then I will just be travelling over the weekend so meals/exercise will be a bit random next 3 days. Luckily from Monday I'll be back home and back in routine after the holidays.

Goals:
    I'm roughly 195lbs and 6ft 1". I carry the weight well but I was about 15lbs lighter this time last year. Lots of work (at a desk), travel with work and lack of a regular 5 -a- side game means I'm just not as trim as I was so why not give it a shot.

So thats it, I'm aiming to get below 180lbs during the challenge, maybe lower long term. I know I am pretty lean at that weight. Maybe aim for a little lower or 180 would be perfect if it includes more muscle, so basically I just want to get back there.

Main reason is to get back into sport. I was a big motorsport freak and driver weight matters. I had no competitive races last year and the idea of getting back to ideal driver weight by summer's racing season is motivating me.

Methods:
    I hate the same routine in the gym each night, I get bored and don't go, so....

1. Ice Skating, there is a rink 2 blocks from my apartment. I bought some hockey skates and am determined to learn to play hockey. So I'm gonna work on my skating 2/3 days a week. Luckily, this one really gets the heart going.

2. Gym, I have a gym in my building so no excuses, but if I say I will go 7 days I'll end up failing so I won't. I have a cardio program and a weights program which I want to step up. If I guarantee 3/4 days a week I think I can stick it out and push myself.

3. Walks, I find walking/hiking enjoyable, I used to do 7/8 miles a day before. I'm gonna get back into this on days I don't want to go hell for leather in a gym. Probably try to upgrade this to some jogging after a few weeks. It's also a good thing early weekend mornings.

4. Cycling, Planning on buying a bike and getting out there once Spring hits.

So thats my plan, as I said, I won't commit to gym 7 days because I'll get bored and give up. What I am committing to is to doing a mixture of exercises and getting out there most days. Treadmills can bore me after 20mins, but 3 ours of hockey skating or paintball and I can still keep going so thats the kinda stuff I like, exercise where you can't even feel the burn you are having so much fun.

Lets see how it goes, good luck everyone.!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Count me in

I'm probably doing enough exercise as it is.
    I'm in fairly good shape fitness wise.
    Hopefully get to gym regularily and increase my lifts on squat, bench (I hate it), deadlift and number of bodyweight pullups

Want to cut down the body fat through smaller food portions, less junk and more cardio!!

Oh yeah, and cut out the alcohol as much as possible!!

Photo to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

fook it im in, need the stick(motivation) to get back into it afer xmas.

take measurements tomorrow

do you need to keep a log of your exercise? too

Another mini workout/trial run of my Tom Venuto superset programme
    Just 1 set of 15 with my 4kg dumbells

Warm-Up
    Arm Circles,Tai Chi Twists, Truck Circles, Prisoner Lunges, Push-Ups

Workout B
    Romanian dead lift
    Shoulder press

One-legged hip extensions
    Dumbell pullover

Reverse crunch
    Cross-knee crunch

Dumbell curl
    Two-dumbell extension

I very nearly didn't bother doing any exercise this afternoon, the faff of getting changed in to exercise clothes and trying to keep the kids out of my hair for 30 minutes (thank goodness Santa brought a wii!) but even though it wasn't much glad I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HELM

Count me in too please.

I'm female, 5ft 3" and 11 st 7lbs :eek:
    I need to make a lot of changes so it's a bit overwhelming but I am going to take this challenge for 8 weeks as a starting point and focus on a clean diet & regular exercise and hopefully the weight loss will follow, if I feel better about myself that will be a result for me!

HELM wrote: »
    Count me in too please.

I'm female, 5ft 3" and 11 st 7lbs :eek:
    I need to make a lot of changes so it's a bit overwhelming but I am going to take this challenge for 8 weeks as a starting point and focus on a clean diet & regular exercise and hopefully the weight loss will follow, if I feel better about myself that will be a result for me!

Exact same stats as me before I lost my "baby" (or 3 year old) weight - took me from June to Dec 09. I've pretty much maintained & I'm 9'10 now and want to lose another 6 lbs over the 8 week challenge. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Weight, measured waist and photo taken. Loss a 1lb since Wednesday by dieting alone. I have a small niggling injury but should be ready Monday to start training.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I did this challenge in April/May of 2008 when Gem set it up, I was 100% successful, ate healthily, cut back on booze, got into running and going to the gym. After 8 weeks I had lost 3kg and 3.5 inches off my waist.

Ever since, i haven't always stuck with it but I'm definitely fitter and healthier now in general. I always look back to this forum for advice on fitness and healthy living.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I started today.

Am starved and all I can think of is biscuits.... but thats because I am really tired today and have a bit of a cold... hence comfort food.

Begining weight 13stone (lost 1lb since I signed up a couple days ago)

Begining waist measurement: 95 cm.

Went walking for 45mins this morning.

Am going swimming tomorrow.

My fab OH and mum are going to help me with the diet part (I love cooking and food).

I'll post again next week with an update

Advertisement