Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards Better Body Super Challenge 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

My goal is to just follow through with the challenge until March. Whether I lose weight or not (which yes would be great) I want to get active again, eat sensibly and have more enjoyment of life, being sedate is lousy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Thanks G'em,

Iv gained a sh*t load of weight in the last 3 years. Combination of laziness, bad food choices and ignorance.

Im 3 weeks away from being 30 :eek: and im just over 30 on the BMI scale :mad:
    Goals:
    • Get fit
    • Lose the "lovehandles" and B cup!!
    • Reduce BMI to healthy levels
    • improve my quality of life and mood
    • stop looking like Jonny Vegas and start looking like Bradley Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

OK, I am going to lose 10lbs. I will post up my training and diet on my log. I wont be able to start till Friday the 7th Jan till the 7th March. Weight and photos will be taken on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

holdfast wrote: »
    OK, I am going to lose 10lbs. I will post up my training and diet on my log. I wont be able to start till Friday the 7th Jan till the 7th March. Weight and photos will be taken on Saturdays.

We get logs? Or do you mean training log threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

I have a training log (unused in four weeks) so that is how I plan to keep track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

G'em,

I am reminded of the thread on fixing the basics thread reading the first few posts in this thread. I can't see much in the "fitness: the basics" thread which is as comprehensive and useful as the stuff there.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm in. Goals and plans to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

d'Oracle wrote: »
    G'em,

I am reminded of the thread on fixing the basics thread reading the first few posts in this thread. I can't see much in the "fitness: the basics" thread which is as comprehensive and useful as the stuff there.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Ok Im in.
    Im sick of being the overweight lazy one in my family!
    Im not sure about goals though. Mainly I would love to be a size 10 again and be about 9 and a half stone.. Which would mean losing a stone and a half.. Im 5ft 4in so it might be possible!
    Seems scary, but I will do my best. Cross my heart!

Might be a silly question, but how many calories a day would you recommend?
    For a female, aged 21??

Motivated now! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

My goal is to move from a bmi of obese (God how I hate that word :( ) to a bmi of just:rolleyes: overweight in the first eight weeks.

I'll probably be taking it a little less extreme with the exercise than most people here, I have fibromyalgia and a rheumatoid arthritis/lupus mix, so I have to be really careful (my rheumatologist told me to try to get jogging, so I have medical advice) At the same time, I need to get healthier to help me get a bit better. I'm doing the couch to 5k three times a week, and brisk walking the other days. Hopefully going to get a swim in once a week too. I'll be doing as much as I can without hurting my body and having to stop in week one.

I've piled on the weight in the past few years. I'm really fed up. I'll be trying to create a higher calorie deficit to make up for the fact that I won't be doing as much exercise as others here.

Do we all start at the same time, or just from now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

d'Oracle wrote: »
    G'em,

Thank you :o I'd forgotten how much I'd put into these posts actually, they need a good bit of fixing up but they're not half bad :)
    Might be a silly question, but how many calories a day would you recommend?
    For a female, aged 21??

Motivated now! ;)
    what weight are you now?
    i-digress wrote: »
    Do we all start at the same time, or just from now?
    I think we can probably all start from this weekend maybe? Or if people have started already that's cool :)

For the sake of consistency why don't we say that everyone has to do their measurements this Saturday or Sunday and keep a log of them (either in the Fitness Logs or privately).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pico1

I'm in. Need to lose about 5 pounds. Already do Bootcamp 1-2/week and am going to Shred on the other days. Diet reasonably good but nighttime munching is my serious downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Great thread, I'm in.

I'm 29 male, 5'11'', 14st 6lbs.

My goal is to reduced my body fat considerably (actually figure to be determined after measurements) while retaining as much lean mass as possible.

I intend on dropping 4 inches of my waist and 2 inches of my chest.

Plan is:
    Monday: Gym - HIIT/Spin
    Tueday: Football training
    Wednesday: Gym - HIIT/Spin
    Thursday: Football training
    Friday: Light weight session and run
    Saturday: Football match
    Sunday: Rest

Measurements will be posted this Sat/Sun

Good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Count me in...

From May to end Oct last year I went from 27.5% body fat to 18% (I had plenty to shift at the start)... want to continue this progress with stalled greatly over Nov/Dec. Wouldn't be suprised if I've jumped back up a couple of %.

Other than that my main goals are to improve my overall fitness level for football as well as adding a dose of extra strength! Thankfully having played sport most of my life I've have always maintained a decent fitness level while not always looking like the fittest bloke in the world. I'd like people to be able to look at me and say 'He looks like a fit bloke'... that would be nice!!!

Already started my regime yesterday only to wake up this morning with Man Flu.. will struggle on for the rest of the week - no excuses!!!

Hope to begin double cardio sessions (variations of HIIT on threadmill, rower, X-Trainer, along with Circuit classes in gym) from next week for at least a couple of weeks then bring in some strength/weight training. I tend to need to wind my body up for a bit before even looking at weights!!! Will definitely be doing a minimum of 5 sessions a week.

The big thing for me is food and drink... I'm gonna do my utmost to change my diet habits! I've done up a week one diet plan and stocked up on healthy goodies last night so will see how that goes. I tend to be good from Mon - Thurs then ruin it all at the weekends. I aim to quit Alcohol (my biggest downfall) for the duration...

Will take proper measurements at the weekend and post then...

Best of luck everyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Count me in for this g'em. Perfect timing as Im going for my Shodan in April and really need to get in shape. Plus it will be the extra incentive to push with my crossfit training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

im in, ill try and get the rest of the house in aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Go on, I'm game.

Got weight + height done on machine in boots on Sunday 2nd Jan.

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 15st 01 lbs

I want to be at 14st by the end of this. Am going to be training minimum 5 times a week, two weight sessions, 2 Metcons & 1 HIIT session per week.

I'll also be going back into the Martial Art side, which will be Wed & Fri BJJ and looking to join Muay Thai as well.

Bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Looking forward to this!!:D
    Male 27, 6’, 14st 4lbs. no other measurements taken yet.

I will be using this 8 weeks to re-start the log I had last year and get my healthy eating back on track.

The main aim is to change my lifestyle, not just get a few good habits.

I had been doing really well last year and could see a change in my body & in everyday life which motivated me more. Then I injured my lower back in August and had a disc issue which stopped me doing everything. Cue sadness and eating ****e, followed by acute laziness.

Goals for the 8 weeks
    No alcohol, I only smoke when I drink so that’ll be finished too.
    Get the healthy eating back
    Strengthen core
    Improve flexibility
    Get back to jogging

Initial goals for review after the 8 weeks
    Get faster
    Go further
    Get Stronger

Will be taking measurements on Saturday and post back in my fitness log.

I’m not in a gym so will be doing this at home / outdoors

Good Luck to everyone and keep the spirits up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYtQy9EqTA&feature=player_embedded#! (great audio to listen to when warming up)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

beefjerky wrote: »

Loved that! and Brad Pitt's body is what you should all be aiming for lads! <drool>

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pollyos

count me in, need to lose weight so this sounds ideal. Was going to do it on my own but this should help with motivation. Goals:
    lose half stone in 8 weeks to start with
    eat healthy
    cut way down on alcohol
    exercise
    Will start this saturday and do measurements etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Defo in for this.

Will post up wieght height etc and some realisitic targets later.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Cork_girl wrote: »
    My goal is to make exercise part of my routine again, need to lose 1 stone ideally but would be happy to get down to 10stone by the end of the 8 weeks. Overall - a healthier lifestyle, better food choices and increased fitness. Bring it on!

I am in the exact same boat as Cork_girl, I also need to lose a stone. Well here I go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dietgirl

Hey Count me in! I started college in Sept and have 7 pounds up, realistically I would like to loose 14 pounds by June before I go travelling so If I could get rid of 7 pounds by March I would be delighted. I put on the weight because I eat out most days or eat quick food if I'm at home so going to change this.
    Breakfast: Porridge
    Lunch: Soup/ salad etc
    Dinner
    1 snack Daily
    2 Litres Of Water
    Exercise: Gym 2 times a week
    Swimming: Once Per Week
    Yoga: Twice a week
    If I kept this up I will be delighted! Going to post weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

g'em wrote: »

what weight are you now?

I am about 11 stone.
    Started today!

I am about 11 stone.
    Started today!

these are only quick estimations but your maintenance calories (to stay the same weight you are now) would be approx. 1950 calories a day. To lose weight (and assuming your doing some light exercise every week) you should be looking at the 1700 - 1850 range. There are loads of calorie calculators out there though so have a Google and you'll be able to refine those figures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Im game ball for this too. More than 2 months with a back injury coupled with being snowed in for so long has resulted in me putting on a hefty bit of weight!

I'l take measurements later and post them up. IL be training 5 days a week, some weights sessions if the back allows it. If not il do some bosy weight exercises, might do a bootcamp thing and will be training for up coming adventure races so a lot of cycling and running too.

Im Male about 5'9 and at a guess, now, 15st

The thread bump on this was such a good idea, there's THREE HYOOOOGE boxes of chocolates in the office that I have to walk by every time I go out the door and it's all I can do not to launch myself at them :o

But I'm standing firm alongside my fellow boardsie challengers and ignoring them!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Vorenus

Count me in. Great idea.

Male 31, 6ft, 12.5lbs

Get back to the gym after 2 months of bad habits! Just stopped smoking and i am of drink for January.

Goals, lower body fat %, get fitter, get stronger. About to start pre season strength and conditioning program with club, so i will be using that as my work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Vorenus wrote: »
    Count me in. Great idea.

Male 31, 6ft, 12.5lbs

Get back to the gym after 2 months of bad habits! Just stopped smoking and i am of drink for January.

Goals, lower body fat %, get fitter, get stronger. About to start pre season strength and conditioning program with club, so i will be using that as my work out.

12.5lbs? Jesus, a big baby, but a very small man, not sure you need loose the weight:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

g'em wrote: »
    The thread bump on this was such a good idea, there's THREE HYOOOOGE boxes of chocolates in the office that I have to walk by every time I go out the door and it's all I can do not to launch myself at them :o

But I'm standing firm alongside my fellow boardsie challengers and ignoring them!!! :D

and I gave my daughter the very last of the mince pies :o
    So far so good, won't be able to get properly into the exercise until kids are back to school next week but so far so good on the food....MUST drink water though....

Advertisement