Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards Better Body Super Challenge 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Well done everyone!!!

Right here goes!

First thing first...........measurements :mad:

Week 1 - 17/01/2011

Neck 16”
    Chest 42”
    Bicep 13”
    Wrist 7”
    Waist 43”
    Hips 40”
    Top of Legs 40”
    Knee 18”
    Calf 15”
    Forearm 11”
    Body Weight 198lbs naked
    Body Fat 34.24
    Waist to Hip Ratio 1.08
    BMI 31.01
    BMR 1953
    Penis :p:eek::D

Holy moly I cant believe it..............:mad::(:o:o:(:mad:............I used to be fit, oh well its a start.

I did a light 3 mile run at lunch and a Kettlebell class tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Ok, So week 1 down as of Sunday night.

Starting weight 203lbs
    Sundays's weight 198lbs

I'm pretty happy with that, I ate clean most of the week.
    I did 4-5 mile walks 4 nights this week and am just back from a 6 miler just now.

I have weighed myself each morning and steadily dropped a little each day. My lowest was on Friday morning I was at 195lbs but I think there is a little fluctuation there. If I eat totally clean to to my calorie goal I will drop more. My only bad day was Sat/Sun. I had to work all day and through the night in the office. As a result the team ordered out as I had some indian in the aternoon and a few slices of pizza that night. Not the cleanest but due to the situation it's all we had. I won't let myself slip this week though back to normal.
    I think 198lb is pretty much where I really am, as I said, it has fluctuated probably on how much water / food I actually have in my body at the time I weigh in.

Anyway, on the right track so I'm very happy. I'm gonna try get some better exercise in this week. Gonna go skating 1-2 nights this week, make use of the gym and any nights I don't I'm gonna do a long walk. I'll work my way up to some jogs/runs. Roads a pretty icy here at the moment for doing that outside.

I've plenty good food in the freezer to make again this week. I actually figured out some pretty awesome meals this week so I'm actually looking forward to them this week again, the key being eating the correct portions at regular times so as not to end up feeling starving. I even got a cool little digital scales off of ebay to measure food portions so I can track them better online. You can add ingredients and zero the scales as you add more so it's super easy. Livestrong.com is proving to be awesome little tool.

So all going well, I'll check in again this week and report stats at this time next week. I must also get a tape measure to record some more stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Welcome to the challenge benwavner, and well done on a *great* result Copper23, 5lbs in a week is brilliant, very motivating.

So week 2 results for me :D

weight 2lb2oz down
    bodyfat 1.3% down

Better Body Challenge totals to date: -4lbs/bf -1.8%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pico1

Week 1 results for me : 64.3 Kg (down 1.5 kg)
    Waist 31in (down 1 inch)
    Hips 37in (down 1 inch)
    Thighs 22in (down 1 inch).
    Results probably helped by a 24 hr vomiting bug! Exercise not fantastic as am struggling bigtime with shin splints but hoping to improve that this week. Well done everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pollyos

Copper23 wrote: »
    Ok, So week 1 down as of Sunday night.

Starting weight 203lbs
    Sundays's weight 198lbs

I'm pretty happy with that, I ate clean most of the week.
    I did 4-5 mile walks 4 nights this week and am just back from a 6 miler just now.

I have weighed myself each morning and steadily dropped a little each day. My lowest was on Friday morning I was at 195lbs but I think there is a little fluctuation there. If I eat totally clean to to my calorie goal I will drop more. My only bad day was Sat/Sun. I had to work all day and through the night in the office. As a result the team ordered out as I had some indian in the aternoon and a few slices of pizza that night. Not the cleanest but due to the situation it's all we had. I won't let myself slip this week though back to normal.
    I think 198lb is pretty much where I really am, as I said, it has fluctuated probably on how much water / food I actually have in my body at the time I weigh in.

Anyway, on the right track so I'm very happy. I'm gonna try get some better exercise in this week. Gonna go skating 1-2 nights this week, make use of the gym and any nights I don't I'm gonna do a long walk. I'll work my way up to some jogs/runs. Roads a pretty icy here at the moment for doing that outside.

I've plenty good food in the freezer to make again this week. I actually figured out some pretty awesome meals this week so I'm actually looking forward to them this week again, the key being eating the correct portions at regular times so as not to end up feeling starving. I even got a cool little digital scales off of ebay to measure food portions so I can track them better online. You can add ingredients and zero the scales as you add more so it's super easy. Livestrong.com is proving to be awesome little tool.

So all going well, I'll check in again this week and report stats at this time next week. I must also get a tape measure to record some more stats.
    Well done, keep up the good work

• Advertisement

3.5Ib down this week and week 1 of couch to 5k completed. Delighted with this result, was hoping for about 2-3 Ibs. Bought digital scales and find it great for tracking, also using livestrong.com to track calories. Very handy and makes you think before you eat because it's like big brother is watching you!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Well I was only able to start yesterday due to an auld bit of flu for the last week and a bit
    (which got me down 4lbs to 14st even without doing any excersize already! although I'm sure that will jump back on as I get back to eating normally again, so I won't use it as my starting weight)

As I said before, because of the auld back recovering, I am starting slowly with no running or weights at all.

6FT (probably won't get this to change :D)
    14st 4lbs (I will put up the measurements later on in Tuesdays post)

Monday 17th
    2km walk before work
    3.5km walk at lunch
    2km work after work

hundredpushups.com/week1 (the middle set)

Crunches
    5 x 20

I'm likely to stick with this for the first week, but I will lengthen the walks each day.
    EDIT: Just saw the 200 squats program as well which i will incorporate, my leg strength really needs improving!

The healthy eating is back on track, i forgot how much I enjoyed it! :D

I am looking forward to my 5 or 6 small meals for the day now instead of toast for breakfast, just picking up a chicken fillet baguette from spar at lunch and then a pizza or some sh1te for dinner :eek:
    I am also going to start a fitday account to keep track and use g'ems calorie requirements post as a guide (great post!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

thanks Beefjerky for the link to the squats program, gonna add that to my plan from monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Despite my previous post saying no running, I'm going for the couch to 5 km. :rolleyes:

I was doing 5km before the injury in an OK time so am not new to running, but I'm going to follow the tried and tested program, as it eases in so gently which is essential for me, along with the walking sessions for cardio.

Measurements:pac:
    Neck 16.5”
    Chest 44”
    Bicep 13.5”
    Wrist 7”
    Waist 44”
    Hips 40”
    Top of Legs 28”
    Knee 18”
    Calf 15”
    Body Weight 200lbs
    Body Fat 30.5 using this online calculator (no calipers)

Tuesday 18th
    2km walk before work
    2.7km walk at lunch
    Week 1 day 1 couch to 5k
    3km walk

Going to do a weekly update here rather than daily, I'll do the daily one in my training log.

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KittyLee

For upper arms - try this. Takes a few goes but you'll see results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1LVFFzi_f0&feature=player_embedded

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It looks like a ridiculous cross between the Haka, the macarena and the stuff you'd usually see in a nightclub at 2:00am on a Sunday morning :confused:

I was looking at Tracy Andersons book, it looks very complicated & the moves would play havoc with my dodgy pelvis. She does have a kick ass body though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

So measurements this morning. 2lb loss and no change to measurements. Don't think men see as drastic measurement loss as women to be honest.

Have to admit, I had a disasterous week this week with an unexpetected heavy weekend of drinking so to me a 2lbs loss is a miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

My efforts so far got a bit hampered with being sick, but diet wise I've been good.

2lbs loss last week, exercise not quite going to plan, will be redoing Week 1 of Couch to 5k starting next Monday.

Day 1 of week 2 c25k completed today, tough going, was delighted when after 5 90 sec runs she announced the 6th was the last - thought there was 8!! Was nearly going to give up after 4 - so unfit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Having a tough week this week :( Weigh in sat but not really expecting to lose any weight.

Its my own fault as I eat out twice and was hungover once (had to eat out with customers at work - so food not my fault. alcohol was my fault). Did try to have the health options though!

Excercise this week also not going well... Was going to go running tonight, but was slipping everywhere so just went for a walk instead. Also due to work, missed a couple of days.

Back on track today, so hoping that over the next couple days will loose a pound or so....

Well done to everyone else though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

I'm still powering on although I did have my predicted wobble during the weekend in Amsterdam. Still I kept the drinking to a respectable level and was fairly sensible on the eating too.

I'm really pleased with my progress on the swimming front. I've been so much more productive in the pool than ever before, now that I have a clear goal each time with respect to the number of lengths I'm going to do and the intervals I want to do them in. Basic gist is "two more lengths than the previous session" but also trying to increase the number of lengths I perform before stopping. Last night I hit the big 4-0 which conveniently is also the 1km mark. I'm focusing on my technique which is really helping me on the breathing front.

Food wise I have also been good, breakfast each day is 2 scrambled eggs, with 70ml skimmed milk, worcester sauce and two ryvita. My favourite meal of the day!

Lunch will tend to be some variation of roast chicken, veg and a wholemeal pitta.

Dinner is typically chicken/fish with more veg and noodles/baby potatoes and some sauce concocted from whatever is in my fridge/press.

Obviously I'm not suddenly some robot and I have had slip ups, like the 100g of pic n' mix sweets I just had to have in Amsterdam or the muesli bar I convinced myself was healthy during a particularly vicious 3pm slump. For the most part though I have been snacking on fruit and homemade fruits of the forest smoothies.

Exercise Log:
    Fri 14th - 4km Jog/Walk around Vondelpark Amsterdam
    Sat 15th - Nothing (Tired and Hungover)
    Sun 16th - 4km Jog/Sprints around Vondelpark Amsterdam
    Mon 17th - Nothing (Insert lame excuse about working late)
    Tue 18th - Swim (36 lengths)
    Wed 19th - Swim (38 lengths)
    Thu 20th - Swim (40 lengths)
    Fri 21st - 5km Jog/Walk around Clapham Common

Stats:
    Starting Weight: 67.5kg
    Mon 17th Jan : 66.2kg
    Weight Loss to Date: 1.3kg

So all in all, pretty pleased with progress so far. I have some indoor rock climbing and a hike in the Chilterns planned for the weekend. I'll try and post on Monday with the updated weigh in.

Mid-week check-in.

Eating plan is going real well. They key was really doing a big shop at the start of the week and having lots of good goods in. Keeps me away from the habit of reaching for chocolate/crisps. Preparing and planning food the day before also really helps to keep track of things and makes sure I don't end up going hungry and off for a cheese burger instead of making dinner after I get home from a long day.

Also, tupperware = my friend. Prepacking lunch instead of a eating out.

My new digital food scales from Amazon is awesome.

I've also started to really like cooking more because I found some awesome recipies lately.

The only thing thats a bit strange is my appetite. It's gone way down. At the start I could eat myself crazy all day and I'd still be hungry. The first week wasn't so bad, I felt satisfied if not full. This week is strange, I almost feel full after smaller meals. I think that's a good thing, I guess my body is getting used to less calories consistently.

I've been out exercising most nights this week but I feel like I need to step it up more. Tomorrow myself and my friend are going up to Wachussets Mountain skiing so that's gonna be a massive workout. From next week I'm gonna step it up more, get a few nights skating in and then used the gym and get back to more frequent weights training, haven't done enough since before Christmas in that area.

Not expecting such a drop in weight this week, I'm hoping for a little, I think last week was week 1 luck and water weight. (Which reminds, me, need to watch the sodium!)

Anyway, thats just a note to myself really as my mid week update. Gonna check in on monday to tell how this week finished out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

put on less than a lb, too much messing about this week. Well there is next week to make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Dinkie wrote: »
    Having a tough week this week :( Weigh in sat but not really expecting to lose any weight.

Its my own fault as I eat out twice and was hungover once (had to eat out with customers at work - so food not my fault. alcohol was my fault). Did try to have the health options though!

Excercise this week also not going well... Was going to go running tonight, but was slipping everywhere so just went for a walk instead. Also due to work, missed a couple of days.

Back on track today, so hoping that over the next couple days will loose a pound or so....

Well done to everyone else though.:D

For all my complaining I managed to lose 2lbs (well the scales kept going up and down before deciding I had lost the extra 1lb - the tension!).

Weight at start: 13lbs
    Weight week 1: 12stone 9
    Weight week 2: 12 stone 7

I had a bad week though, and I have moved home to my parents this weekend so I eat properly (PMS time) and resist temptation.

Still I have started this week well with a trip to the gym this morning, and lots of house work. Tomorrow I'm starting C25k week 4. I'm not a quick running, but I'm getting around o.k.

I still have to do a lot of work on my meals. I have been sticking to the rules except for portion sizes. My goal this week is to start weighing portions. I also need to up my water intake.

My weight goal for this week is 3lbs (hopefully). I think I have the week well planned out for food and excercise (barring an emergency).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Week one done :D

Chest (1) 110cm (no change)
    Waist (2) 100cm (no change)
    Body weight 175lbs
    Height 5" 4. (alas no change ;) )

Well that wasn't too bad, did Week 1 C25K and brisk walks the other two days. the diet was reasonable, I probably overate on Weds, between being fluey and rushing about I know a few too many bannanas and oranges for a low carb diet snuck in there. Other than that it's all good, so on we go :p

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

As promised here is the monday morning up date.

I pleased to say I actually held it together this weekend, no drinking, wise food choices and actually surpassed myself on the exercising goals.

I had bought a book before Christmas, "Time Out: 30 Country Walks within an hour of London". Having lived here for over 2 years I know hardly anywhere that is further out than zone 3. Anyhoo, on Saturday morning I roped the flatmates into joining me on a hike just south of London, The Coulsdon Circular. We went for the 10km option because of the short day light hours. Despite the fairly miserable weather it turns out I really like traipsing through forests, valleys and fields. Definitely up for doing another one in a couple of weeks time. Back of an envelope (heart rate monitor supported) calculations would say the hike burned about 700-800 calories as an added bonus.

Saturday night was the dreaded "Dinner Out with Friends" challenge, but we ended up going to a lovely little Lebanese restaurant, I stuck to the water and a copious amount of delicious but healthy Tabouleh, Hummus, Falafel, Lamb Skewers, etc. I really love Lebanese cuisine.

Sunday morning I had already arranged to meet a friend at 11am at the Mile End climbing centre which is about 8 miles from my house in Clapham. Feeling particularly energetic I decided to cycle there and back. One closed London Bridge, a diversion and wrong turn later I arrived at the centre, did an hour and a bit of bouldering and free climbing then hopped on my bike and headed home. Didn't use the heart rate monitor on this one but I'd be suprised if it was less than 800 calories burned all included.

If I'm being honest I was probably hoping for a little more on the weight loss side of things but .4kg is pretty much a lb in old money and thats a healthy enough loss. Plus, I may be delusional but I feel like I have lost more fat and that perhaps the increase in exercise has brought a little muscle gain too which is offsetting the loss.

Anyhoo, that was the end of week 2 for me. A solid week I'm definitely proud of. On the agenda for this week is at least 3 swim sessions (42, 44, 46 lengths respectively), a game of squash/tennis, cycle commute to work (done this morning already) and a jog around Clapham Common.

Stats:
    Starting Weight: 67.5kg
    Mon 17th Jan : 66.2kg
    Mon 24th Jan : 65.8kg
    Weight Loss to Date: 1.7kg

down 1.5pounds
    all measurements stayed the same except waist - down an inch.
    not bad considering all I am doing so far is walking.
    Will be starting the 200 squats program today, and aiming to go from 6 to 10 x 30 min walks.

took the whole weekend off and had a few drinks(not enough to be hungover) but still ate fairly clean, badly needed and feel ready for the coming week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been forgetting to take measurements. Will make time to record a few in the morning and see how they compare to when I started two weeks ago. I think the weight is slightly down, but I had far too much chocolate last week so I'm not doing as well as I should be!

Looking forward to today's work-out anyway. I'm into Week 3 of the 100 push-ups, 200 sit-ups and 200 squats. Reckon I'll be getting a good hour of indoor soccer tonight too.

Ok, time for week 2 end report.

Weighed in this morning at 196 lbs. Down from 198 lbs last week. 2lbs in a week I'm very happy! And well on my way.

I did 5-6 miles circle of Boston from my apartment a few times this week. Ate clean, kept it within my calorie goals and I'm very happy.

I also went skiing all day Saturday and I feel like that was a super charged workout, I still ache but it was totally worth it, fun and fit!

My weight dipped as low as 194lbs. I'm a bit unsure as to when to weigh in and how to balance it out. I'm saying 196lbs as thats what I came in on this morning and is about my "average" but depending on time of day and what I've been eating it fluctuates a lot so I'm taking my readings from 1st thing in the morning and going on that.

Sat/Sun I didn't count my meals so much as I was very busy but I kept it fairly good.

I think the main thing is portion control. I've been measuring and tracking exact portion sizes of meals. Before I might load up a sandwich for lunch, throw in some crisps and a pepsi. Now I just have a clean sandwich, a water and leave the crisps and have a healthier snack in the afternoon time. It's working much better. I still would love to run down and get a pizza sometimes but the motivation from actually seeing results and that fact my appetite has actually gone down keeps me going. I think before, my portions were bigger and I'd get hungry again easily, now I'm used to smaller portions I don't mind it so much.

I've been using the imapmyrun app on my Android phone and it's great, gives great motivation to get home and see exactly how far I've gone and how much I've burned.

I'm surprised I'm not missing the fizzy drinks so much, used to live off of them. I've almost cut them out completely, if I do have any, I've had a pepsi max, so no calories but I've limited that to 1 in a day if I have any that day and mostly none at all, so I'm happy with that.

It hasn't effected me hugely either, I went out for dinner Saturday night and I had a couple of drinks but again the key is portion control. Its very possible to eat out or even have a few drinks as long as it doesn't totally destroy your balance for the week.
    In fact if I'm honest, I've cut a lot of junk out but I'm not eating a super horrible diet, I'm eating a lot of good foods that I like, I might have a little pasta or rice with some dinners but in moderation and it's fine. I'm eating plenty protein and watching the fat levels and its working great without being on a super strict diet which I will hate, since it's hard to maintain that over time, if your not enjoying what you eat you really can't maintain good eating habits.

So all in all, I'm averaging myself at 2lbs lost this week which is great and I've started today well.

My goal this week was to up the exercise. I've already planned another ski trip for Saturday. Unfortunately it is -15 degrees outside right now so the loop of Boston is out tonight but I'm gonna try hit the gym for a session in an hour or so.

Wish me luck!

well done copper and evryone else staying on track & reaping the rewards.
    Not such a good week for me :(
    Had my husbands birthday dinner on Tuesday and then my best friends 40th on saturday.

last week - 132'4
    this week - 133'2

frick. Goal for next week - 132!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

10/1/11
    Weight: 14st 1.5lbs (4.5 loss)
    Chest: 43 (not sure what happened here, not the way I'd like to go!)
    Waist: 40.5 (1.5 loss)
    Bicep: 13.5

Haven't had a chance to put up my stats in a while so here goes.

27/01/11
    Weight: 13st 12lbs (8.5 loss overall - f**k you 14st)
    Chest: 41 (much better, moobs quite visibly shrinking)
    Waist: 39 (2.5 loss - clothes much looser)
    Bicep: 13.5 (still the same, getting a bit more defined)

So just over 3 weeks gone and I'm seeing some good results. Have been off the drink so will go for a few this weekend and then back abstaining for the majority of Feburary.

Diet has been very clean and I've been mixing lunchtime metcons with soccer matches and training/matches which seems to be working.

The trainings not easy but it's very rewarding once it's finished!

Fantastic results there ErinGoBrath, well done.

at then of my week, one more walk to go - will walk to work later and have this week included the 200squats program, down another 1.5 on the scales and looking forward to taking my measurements monday morning. Work is gonna be mental the next few days so there wont even be a chance to binge, the work weekend is gonna end sunday night with an awards ceremony, and plenty of drink - but I am gonna skip it for once (gonna school run monday morning as a very valid excuse)

• Advertisement

Midweek check in.

Mixed week this week. Did very well earlier this week, kept strict with the diet and got lots of exercise in. My lowest weight in was 191lbs which is way down but I think that had a lot to do with a really strict regime.

Last night I ended up caving for the first time and having a takeout for dinner due to looooooooooong work hours. I think the 191 was a little off. I'm probably going to weight in at 193-194 on Monday for my end of week weigh in. But it's still progress. I just want to get back on track and not cave again with the food.

Unfortunatley work has been dictating my schedule which doesn't help things but I'm still doing ok.

Planning another trip to Wachussets tomorrow to learn some snowboarding so as long as I can keep the diet a bit in check thats going to be a savage workout.

So anyway, a little deviation from the plan this week but still making steady progress. Lets wait until Monday morning and hope for a good weighin.

My first goal is to reach 189lbs, thats 13.5 stone. I think I might make that in another week or so. So I'm delighted with that. Once there my next goal is to continue down to 13 stone and so on.

Attaching my progress to date.

Wish me luck.

Advertisement