Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards Better Body Super Challenge 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KittyLee

Count me in too.
    Photos taken (eek!!!)
    Stats: Female - 5'9" - 12st 7.5lbs (another eek!!)
    tummy measurements (widest bit) 39.5 inches
    thighs 23.5 inches
    boobs (no bra) 39
    arms 12.5 inches (bingo wings how are ya??)

Started today in flying form, porridge with fruit, baked veg for lunch.
    Off alcohol for January (and maybe even the duration of this 8 week plan).
    Thank you so much Gem!
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

A good day today.
    Did my 5k run this morning, my gawd it was coooold!
    Had lunch out in town @ Salon de Saveurs so that's my splurge meal, but I must say the portions sizes were so small, I doubt I'm that much over my normal daily intake.
    Was very saintly this evening as dh and kids tucked in to pizza I had my homemade veg soup, spelt bread, and a bit of cheese :)
    I started last Tuesday so I'll post my week 1 results in a few days. Seeing as I haven't had a piece of chocolate, biscuit etc all week I'm hoping to see results!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I'm in.
    5' 9" and 12 stone 3

Used to be 14 stone 2 pounds and made it all the way to 11 stone before it started to creep back up. I'm determined to bring my weight back down to 11 stone OR fit into some size 12 jeans (just managed to buy my first pair of size 14 jeans after a few years :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

Gonna have a lash at this please.

Male, 25, Height 5 foot 11.

This time 12 months ago I was 17 stone and by November had it down to 13 stone 7. Went off the rails a bit for December but have ran the first 7 days of the new year hence starting weight this morning (Saturday) is 14 stone 1.

Target after 8 weeks is sub 13 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

All measured up, and have an appointment at 3pm today in the gym to go through my new routine.

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 149 lb
    Body Fat: 13.1%

Goals:
    1. Put on at least 10lbs in muscle.
    2. Lower body fat by 2-3%
    3. Be able to run 5k in less than 30 minutes.

Really looking forward to this challenge.

One question though, is it realistic to expect to be able to gain 10lbs in 8 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hagbard

I took all my measurements this morning, with one exception.
    For some reason the scales refused to give a bodyfat percentage for me. It worked on everyone else in the house who tried, but apparently I don't conduct electricity.

On the plus side, I took a long run in the hills today, a run I couldn't have done at all six months ago, and today isn't a scheduled workout day for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

So today was my splurge day. Wasnt the worst tho, just a chikcen and coleslaw sambo and a jacobs tea cake! other wise hasnt been too bad!

Managed to get a 50 min walk in around Howth head though so hopefully that will off set it somewhat!

Cant wait to get the back fixed and get stuck into some proper exercise!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pico1

Right. Weight - 65.7 kg (I neeeed that to say 62kg)
    Waist 32in (v.high for a woman but amazingly my visceral fat is normal)
    Thighs 23in.
    Hips 38in
    Upper arm 11in.

1 Bootcamp session and 2 Shreds since Wednesday but have been crucified with shin-splints since summer and they are giving me grief again this week. Have just been foam-rolling and stretching so hope I can get on top of them this time.

Am I too late to be in?

If not - I'm going to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Count me in too.. If I'm not too late

Have been to the gym 4 times this week so the exercise routine is getting there. Diet good too but will clean it up totally from today.

Will post up my stats & goals later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Started my fitness log a few minutes ago.

Sh!t just got real! :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

gonna give this a go,
    5 ft 6 and weigh 16st 8lbs, so it wont do me any harm.
    Will take my measurements in the morning
    starting tomorrow morning with a 30 minute walk - i get a lift to my sons school to drop him off in the morning and will walk home for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Hopefully its not to late to join! I only seen this thread now. Have been off the drink for 2 weeks now and back training whenever i can. Ive been running, doing press ups and using a set of 20 kg dumbells i have myself.
    Now christmas is over i have access to a gym again so im gona start lifting weights again. Have to get my diet sorted properly first though. I want to gain muscle mass. Im 5'8" and weigh 70kg. Havent got round to taking measurements yet though. Im sure keeping a log here will help my progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Just downloaded the Week 1 podcast for Couch to5k - bring on tomorrow! Weigh in etc. in the morning. All goodies gone from the kitchen too.. which is a help. Big veggie shop to be done tomorrow evening.

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seanie_k

I hope im not too late to jump on this either. I think its a fantstic idea.

Im reasonably fit but really need some kind of structured training/diet plan/goals so this is ideal for me.

At the moment (well upt to Xmas) i am doing thai boxing 3 days a week and one day of other exercise - weights/run/swim.
    My plan is to keep doing the 3 thai boxing days and do 2 structured weight sessions a week(at the moment the weight session is whatever i think of on the day). And throw in an other day of something light - cycle/swim/run with the dog etc...

My diet is pretty clean but booze is my downfall:
    Drunk - eat **** food
    Hungover - cant train, eat **** food, go for a cure, eat more **** food

I had planned on giving up booze for january anyway so i might try keep that up for all of this challenge.

I am an irishman living in Oz. I am getting married to my aussie girfriend in thailand in april, so seeing all the friends and family from home then is good motivation for me.

My weight today is 85.3 kg

Are people keeping fitnees logs in this thread or somewhere else?
    Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

took my measurements at home yesterday but could not get online and forgot them this morning! Will post tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm in. Haven't weighed myself in months so gonna get a new battery for the digital scales tonight. Will try and find some measuring instruments too as well as maybe take some photos.

In general I'd be a pretty fit guy. Play a lot of soccer but not too much competitively in the past 2 1/2 years due to collapsing a lung twice and subsequent corrective surgery. Fairly keen gym goer although rupturing my calf muscle early November last wasn't good and still isn't great.

As with most here, diet will be my big test.

Hi all,
    managing to keep pretty much on track , had a small piece of apple pie yesterday, but left most of the crust in the tin...But have definitely broken the habit of a sweet treat every day , even if it was 80& chocolate, and that's a great improvement.
    Drinking water is my big fall down....so must work on that.

So workout plan for week is
    Mon - Workout A, 2 sets. done
    Tues - weigh in day, 5k run
    Weds - Workout B, 2 sets
    Thursday - 5k run
    Friday - Workout A, 3 sets
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - RNLI 5k Reindeer run race in Marlay Park, my first race since I got injured in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Didn't get a chance to measure up again at the weekend to be in sync with the rest of the thread so will have to go with my initial meaurements on the 3rd of Jan :(

3/1/11
    Weight: 14st 6lbs
    Chest: 42
    Waist: 42
    Bicep: 13.5

Todays weigh-in after 1 week hard work
    10/1/11
    Weight: 14st 1.5lbs (4.5 loss)
    Chest: 43 (not sure what happened here, not the way I'd like to go!)
    Waist: 40.5 (1.5 loss)
    Bicep: 13.5

Not getting too carried away with the first weeks loss, felt pretty bloated after xmas so could be partially down to that. Saying that it was a very good week training wise.

Hope everyones doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

They're great results Erin, Keep up the good work. Chances are week two you wont see such results, but the second week is always the hardest. If you dont see as good results, dont get disheartened, it will pick up after it. 4.5 loss in onw week is brilliant by all acounts, plus 1.5 of your waist.

Fair play!

• Advertisement

Well done Erin, you're off to a flying start.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hagbard

A nice thing happened to me in the gym this morning, and it's really boosted my motivation.
    As a man who has never been overburdened with muscle, I've never been able to do chin ups. I've been hitting the gym since late September, and every Monday I always try a chin up at the end of my workout, just to see if I can. What follows is me dangling, panting, and not moving an inch. This morning I gave it a go and managed two of them. Well, more like 1.8 chinups, as the second didn't quite go all the way. I was very surprised, but have been smiling since.
    For those new to working out, keep it up, you'll shock yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pollyos

ok so I started today, weighed myself this morning and am horrified, 12 st 4.5!! I am only 5 2" so it's not great. Will put up measurements tomorrow morning. Hope to lose 2Ib a week for healthy weight loss as well as eating healthy and cutting way down on booze to a couple of glasses of wine a week.
    Started exercise today with 30 mins on exercise bike, nearly killed me BUT hopefully as the weeks go on I will feel the benefits. Also going to do lots of walking, have a great 3km steep uphill walk close to home - so will do this at least once a week along with exercise bike and power walking. Hopefully al of this will work

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

I'm in.... Now is definitely the time to get back on track with my fitness.

Didn't have a bad weekend, Indoor Rock Climbing on Saturday followed by Squash yesterday. Tonight will be some lengths down at the swimmng pool.

I'll do the proper measurements tonight but my basic stats are:

Height: 5' 3''
    Weight: 67.5kg

8 weeks from now handily coincides with the first day of my skiing holiday, so no better time to be in shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

First day of couch 2 5k complete! Was really tough but was delighted to be able to complete each of the 'run' segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

First day of proper training and diet. Photos and stats in my fitness log here

So glad that g'em got this going again this year.

Weight : 11.5 stone
    Waist : 31 in
    BF - approx 23%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Started today!

I'm just home from a long flight yesterday. So today I have been at work and come home to unpack, clean, shop, so gym will be hit tomorrow during lunch at work!

I went shopping and stocked up and all good foods whcih I mapped out with a plan for myself. I stuck to my calorie goals today and have been tracking on livestrong.com

I'm gonna buy a tape measure tomorrow and start logging my stats.

Looking forward to this week!

Week 1 results I have lost 1lb14oz and 0.5% bodyfat.
    I was aiming for 2lbs but shan't complain over the 2oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pico1

Well done everyone - especially anyone exercising from scratch. Tough Bootcamp session last night but shins and calves very painful today so will do the strength and abs part of the Shred DVD tonight and give the high-impact cardio a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 pollyos

Cork_girl wrote: »
    First day of couch 2 5k complete! Was really tough but was delighted to be able to complete each of the 'run' segments.
    Well done, I am thinking about giving this a go in the next few days

Advertisement