Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army looking for extra payment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

My understanding is that the issue over payment is for troops who were ordered into barracks on standby but not actually out clearing paths or driving buses/nissans etc.

The money will be coming out of the defence budget so it's not like it's costing the taxpayer any more.

Ah right i forgot that. Jesus my heads melted here.

They probably wont get the allowance on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

y
    benwavner wrote: »
    Is that your long running point? .

in a word - yes - its not just the defence force though, its riddled through many sectors within our society, that seam to think the Govt./state is an endless cash cow - and have helped land the country in such a financial mess

at the end of the day , we the people , are the state , and have to pay ....

so , nothing personal , just a moan about Irish society's unsatiable greed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

We still have the possibility of getting killed on peacekeeping duties.

Here is an interesting article

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/50-years-irelands-involvement-peacekeeping-overseas

Over 80 Irish Soldiers have lost their lives on peace keeping tours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yay I got a few mentions!..

Erm, the thread - too long, can't be arsed tbh.. Something about snow payments, yippeee - MOAR SNOW dammit :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

thebaz wrote: »

LOL. How many Christmas guard duties have you done?

Maybe everyone should just work for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have NO INTEREST in anyone elses pay, I was asking a question to relate to other peoples jobs.

Whether an allowance is earned, due or warranted IS relevant. Just because you feel it is not doesnt matter.

If this money is paid it will not be coming out of the public purse, most likely it will be coming out of the existing defence budget which means we lose out on equipment or something else.

If you've no interest. Don't mention it. You brought it up. Though I'm baffled why it relates to other jobs in the private sector anyway. Unless you are talking about benchmarking.

Its not what I feel. But the general public feels when they hear about it. I bet the bankers felt their bonus'es where earned, warranted, due and untouchable. As did the Govt. Bit of public pressure and hey presto, the impossible, isn't that impossible after all.

CDfm wrote: »
    ...I did find it weird how few shopkeepers swept away snow or householders swept their paths ouside their homes.If everyone did a little bit....

Well the Govt did ask, but everyone wanted money for doing it.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    LOL. How many Christmas guard duties have you done?

Maybe everyone should just work for nothing.

what are you talking about ?

did i suggest the Army should not be paid ?

...I understand what you are saying and I do agree what you are saying. However, only in the context that ALL PS organisations allowances need to be looked at and perhaps changed.....

Well exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

y

in a word - yes - its not just the defence force though, its riddled through many sectors within our society, that seam to think the Govt./state is an endless cash cow - and have helped land the country in such a financial mess

at the end of the day , we the people , are the state , and have to pay ....

I agree with your general point but we are one of the few organisations that had no hand in the countries mess. We have a very modest defence budget comparable to other Departments and other armies;)

Remember, we pay taxes too, my money goes to the same places that yours do.

We have reduced our manpower more than was agreed with the moratorium, we have acquired less kit, equipment, ordnance. Overseas deployments have been cut right back. We have done a hell of a lot to reduce public expendature, more than any othe department and more than I even know.

• Advertisement

Do we still have those PC9's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Everyone is gone a little off topic here.

The question seems to be whether the soldiers who were called in and ended up sitting on standby in barracks should be paid the allowance.

In my opinion I think they should, these guys had their xmas cancelled last minute, and last time i checked shovelling snow is not in a soldiers job description.

They probably had plans, left their loved ones at home etc, if they are sitting in barracks they might as well be shovelling snow. I think they deserve the allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

what are you talking about ?

did i suggest the Army should not be paid ?

Well you seemed to imply with your "unsatiable [sic] greed" comment that the Army are somehow wrong to expect extra money for working additional non-rostered work in aid of the civil power at times when they would normally be off. Did I take you up wrongly?

Leave being cancelled, and soldiers digging something....

Very unusual for an army alright...

Does a solidier still have entrenching (digging) tools as part of their kit?
    http://www.military.ie/army/uniform/index.htm

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Well you seemed to imply with your "unsatiable [sic] greed" comment that the Army are somehow wrong to expect extra money for working additional non-rostered work in aid of the civil power at times when they would normally be off. Did I take you up wrongly?

in a national emegency i would expect the defence forces to be flexible to conditions .
    Joining the defence force, you know life is not going to be a 9 - 5 existence , i do believe the Irish Army are well paid, and proof is , it isnow very difficult to join Army.

but at no stage did i suggest the Army should be unpaid, as you indicated ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I have a lot of respect for the Irish Army. If things go bad they are the guys to go to.

But do bus drivers and council workers get a bonus for helping out during a bad freeze ?
    No they just get paid for their normal working hours in a bad situation.

Same applies to the Army, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

i do believe the Irish Army are well paid, and proof is , it is now very difficult to join Army.

Thats proof!... :pac:

Thats proof!... :pac:

let me simplify - if it was so badly paid , everyone would want to leave , and it would be very easy to join .

there is high demand for Army positions, would that be the case if the pay was so awfull ??

...Or shooting things is very attractive to many people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Could somebody tell me what the pay scales of the IDF are these days?

My Dad served 1977-1998. We were a family of 4 kids and money was always tight. The only time we had extra money is when he went overseas for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Obaraten wrote: »
    do you think the same about other emergency service personnel?

Come off it! If by some freak occurrence; doctors and garda inspectors are sent out to chip ice from footpaths then maybe you'd have yourself a comparison, but the fact is that the people serving in the DF know what to expect. That doesn't mean that they are not entitled to a bonus but it doesn't mean that they need to demand it, they are equipped & capable of doing such tasks and should be expected to do so as part of their vocation when necessity dictates.

Look at the groups doing much the same thing for free.. Order of Malta, Civil Defence etc.. people are always on call, and when they are needed most of them don't demand a fee.

T'is a charitable season alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I saw a few army vans out and about on Christmas Day. One of them had a couple old lady's in the back. They have done a good job over this cold snap. I've seen them on numerous occasions helping people around and giving cars a push after getting stuck in the snow.

let me simplify - if it was so badly paid , everyone would want to leave , and it would be very easy to join .

there is high demand for Army positions, would that be the case if the pay was so awfull ??

Its so difficult to join because there's a moratorium on public sector recruitment and promotion. However we got permission to recruit 300 this year, this is simply so we can full fill our operational obligations.

And why aren't soldiers leaving in their droves, well unlike most jobs very few (with the possible exception of officers) join the defence forces to get rich.

As its recruitment slogan says 'A life less ordinary', and thats why lads join. To be a soldier is a vocation, we're losing many fine young men to the British forces due to the moratorium.

They're not going over to the B.A. to get rich, they're going because they're answering a calling to serve.

Finally on the subject of pay. I work with guys who are now in receipt if Family Income Supplement.

Re. the thread title, its not something I'll involve myself in as the answer's have been given, answered and ignored.. Plus this has been put out by PDFORRA, I haven't heard one mention of payment from the lads in work. Because I suspect most are ignorant of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭davetherave

Ah right i forgot that. Jesus my heads melted here.

They probably wont get the allowance on a technicality.

Wouldn't blame with the amount of ignorance and/or stupidity floating around here :p
    Is that your long running point? If so I agree, once again, we are a DEFENCE FORCE not a conventional war mongering military superpower, hence why we dont go to war.

We still have the possibility of getting killed on peacekeeping duties.

Even here at home, the pilots and crew of the SAR that went down in Tramore after striking a sand dune in heavy fog, or Cadet Jevens and Capt Furness last year. One could say that they died in the line of duty.
    But that is getting way off topic.

BostonB wrote: »
    Do we still have those PC9's?
    Yes.
    TheUsual wrote:
    I have a lot of respect for the Irish Army. If things go bad they are the guys to go to.
    But do bus drivers and council workers get a bonus for helping out during a bad freeze ?
    No they just get paid for their normal working hours in a bad situation.
    Same applies to the Army, for me anyway.
    What happens if they work outside their normal work day? Or when things have gotten so bad that bus drivers and council can't/won't go out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

What happens if they work outside their normal work day? Or when things have gotten so bad that bus drivers and council can't/won't go out?

I worked Christmas last 2 years ago as a bus driver, hard work and cold sometimes. You work overtime you get paid the overtime same as in Summer but there was no hardship pay - it was the exact same as if you were driving in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

TheUsual wrote: »
    I worked Christmas last 2 years ago as a bus driver, hard work and cold sometimes. You work overtime you get paid the overtime same as in Summer but there was no hardship pay - it was the exact same as if you were driving in August.

Did you stop and drop off medicine to the elderly on your bus routes too??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I am tending to come down on the side of the army here. mainly because of the simplistic arguments of the people against them.

I also seems that their union have looked for it on their behalf, surely thats a unions job?

When people are on call they are usually paid something in the public service you get money in the private sector sometimes you get money and sometimes you get to keep your job :D

this is a terribly whiney thread.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Did you stop and drop off medicine to the elderly on your bus routes too??

Do the DF on a Brinks run?

• Advertisement

Unions with no grasp of reality. Theres a surprise.

They are not getting an allowance for being on call, but because this type of work, has an associate payment, due to a previous agreement. Previous to the country being broke anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement