Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irishmanmick

Any movies where a dog dies does it for me. Can watch human tragedy and take it like the best of us but any film where the dog dies has me blawing. Recently Hachi and Marley and Me (especially Hachi!!) but even going back there the classics like Turner and Hooch ... ((Spoiler warning - although if you haven't seen Turner and Hooch you should be watching it right now!) Show me a man who didn't cry when Hooch dies and I'll show you a monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The Iron Giant animated movie usually gives me a lump in the throat at the end and "something in my eye". The Lives of Others usually does the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 djdrobins

Cried like a baby and still do every time I watch them.

A spanish movie called Pans Labyrinth,
    www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

Also Garden State (Zach Braff is a god and Natalie Portman is hot!)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0333766/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

robing hood men in tights, space balls and blazing saddels all make me cry with laughter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

I'll have to have an input here.

Armageddon-every single time, the music has a part to play as well
    American History X
    Braveheart
    Michael Collins
    Lion King
    Black Hawk Down-It's actually more so the music, Leave no man behind, is the track I think

And I don't think I have seen this one on here yet but Ladder 49 with Jooquin Phoenix. Tough to hold that back in the cinema with a bunch of lads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Apollo 13 does it for me.
    That 2 minute sequence when they SHOULD have come out of blackout....

The Ken Mattingly character calling out....

And again

and again

Then the tv commentator

Cut to Mission Control, one more call from Mattingly

Cut to the Lovell House

Cut to the school where Jim Lovell's son is

Cut to mission control again...

Then Hallo Heuston!!! Cue Bedlam and Ed Harris, playing Gene Kranz a real old style all American boy wiping a tear...

I saw a 'Making Of' documentary after seeing the film and you could STILL see quite clearly how even today it affects Kranz

Always makes me tear up.... And was the first time i remember seeing Dad having a tear too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

One of the few movies that ever made me cry was My Sister's Keeper. If it does not touch you are most probably dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭mikedone

I wept my two eyes out when I was dragged along to see "Sex And The City II" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The Iron Giant...

Supermaaaaaan

*choke*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭tonycombat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IglUmgYGxLM

As mentioned before, thought this was much worse than Bambi as a kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Benjy Button
    Dear Zachary
    elephant man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Senna - I think I never actually got to a full ball but I was welled up before the bloody thing even started - he was/is my hero.

Marley and me - balled like a girl guide ( actually I posted this here before !)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

don't laugh!!

Marley & me
    The time travellers wife
    The adjustment Bureau

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

oh and hotel rwanda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

shblob wrote: »
    oh and hotel rwanda
    Ah on the some topic 'Sometimes in April', which was very good (with Idris Elba i.e. Stringer in The Wire).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ah on the some topic 'Sometimes in April', which was very good (with Idris Elba i.e. Stringer in The Wire).

Or Luther in Luther.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Indeed :) Must give that another look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Indeed :) Must give that another look.

I highly recommend it. but i suppose thats for another thread. i havent cried watching luther :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Senna - I think I never actually got to a full ball but I was welled up before the bloody thing even started - he was/is my hero.

I welled up a bit myself during the week there. Never shed a tear, but there were bits where a blink would have done it (e.g. the entire Imola '94 segment)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The end of Gladiator gets me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

having had two children while young we have all grown up with toy story,my kids are in their teens but we all cried at the final toy story when andy giving up his toys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

I know it has been mentioned already but not as much as I thought it would be but Forrest Gump was on Tv last week and I watched it for the first time in years. It's a brilliant film with such a different mix of emotions running through it. One minute I would be laughing out loud and the next my heart would sink and I would almost shed a tear at it. There is some serious tear jerking moments in it, one part that got to me was when Jenny came back in the end and Forrest asks her why she does'nt love him and he eventually says "I may not be a smart man but I know what love is"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Any movies where a dog dies does it for me. Can watch human tragedy and take it like the best of us but any film where the dog dies has me blawing. Recently Hachi and Marley and Me (especially Hachi!!) but even going back there the classics like Turner and Hooch ... ((Spoiler warning - although if you haven't seen Turner and Hooch you should be watching it right now!) Show me a man who didn't cry when Hooch dies and I'll show you a monster!

spoiler alert again:the puppies make you cry with laughter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Titanic?! Seriously? Seriously?!!

Marley and Me

Jerry Ma fcking Guire. Although check out the kid now.... http://www.jonathanlipnicki.com/http://www.jonathanlipnicki.com/ :eek:

Lord of the Rings III- "My friends, you bow to no one."

It's a Wonderful Life

Toy Story 3

Shawshank Redemption (Far superior to the snore fest that was the Green Mile)
    Cicero wrote: »
    Kramer Vs Kramer....scene where Hoffman & his son are making pancakes for the last time before Streep comes to take him away....

That bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Never cried during a moving, but there were some that gave me a twist in the stomach and nearly jerked some tears

The most recent one I can think of is The Blindside

Advertisement