Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I always find myself getting a bit misty eyed at the last scene in Face/Off of all movies... I blame the music :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Personally, I'm a complete sucker for scenes that depict a Thermopylae-like, but ultimately futile, battle; typically seeing the end of many of the principle characters. A good soundtrack is a must. I find it almost impossible not to at least get watery-eyed with these.

Examples would include the attack on fort Sumter at the end of Glory or the battle at the start of Joyeux Noel.

Ironically, I find the depiction of the actual battle of Thermopylae, in 300, too silly to take seriously.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

When the son character gets his head lopped off in 300, I cried. Cried with joy. What a ****ty movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Not a film but I have seen grown Irish emigrant men cry in the Irish Club in Camden Town whenever Amhran na Fiann is played before big matches in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Forrest gump: when Jenny says why are you so nice to me and Forrest replies "you're my girl"...
    Groundhog day: when bill murray does the ice sculpture of andie mcdowell and says "I know your face so well I could have done it blindfolded".

God I'm a sap.

Oh, and Babe. I weep for the majority of that movie, starting with babe saying "goodbye mom"...f**king hell:(

The end of the lives of others when he goes into the book shop and reads the dedication in the book...i was crying with joy in that case though.

That's all I can think of now...christ I'm nearly sniveling typing this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Schindler's List

Of the many scenes that could bring tears to your eyes, it is the ending that consistently has me in floods.

The real SchindlerJuden (Schindler's Jews) and the actors who portrayed them in the film walk alongside the grave of Oskar Schindler in Jerusalem, placing stones upon his grave (a traditional Jewish gesture denoting gratitude to the deceased). This is done to the strains of the lone violin playing that haunting and beautiful instrumental theme.

The now elderly SchindlerJuden give a remarkable feel to the film's conclusion. Here they are, having lived out their lives to old age. Here they are today, having lived a life that they would otherwise not have had were it not for the incredible actions of the man who's grave they now visit. The camera pans, revealing a crowd of hundreds of the SchindlerJuden, queueing up to show their respects to the man that saved them all.

The subtitle of the film then tells the viewer that there are fewer than 4,000 Jews left alive in Poland today. There are, however, more than 6,000 people descended from the SchindlerJuden.

The final gesture is that of actor Liam Neeson placing two red roses on the grave, while standing paying respect over the grave.

Whenever I watch this film, I am always reminded of the line from The Green Fields of France: "Man's blind indifference to his fellow man".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been mentioned already but watched 'Up' on my own and nearly broke down watching the start of it - chríst that was one sad start to a movie!

Watched this again a couple of nights ago and there definitely must have been some dust near my eyes alright. Great film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

The only film that's ever made me "well up" has been Marley and Me.

If you've ever had a dog, you'll know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

Miracle.

Kurt Russell was in it, story about the 1980 US winter ice hockey team. Great movie and teared me up a bit at the end. Nothing like a good sport's story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Watched 50/50 the other night, great film. Almost had me! :pac:

The nostalgia from the end scenes of Band of Brothers had me the first time, and still manages to make me struggle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Forest Gump - when he's at the grave saying ''he's so smart Jenny''.

Gladiator - the ending.

The Notebook - I don't care what anyone says or how girlie it was that film was brilliant and everyone should watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brno

when they took boxer away to the glue factory in ANIMAL FARM always got to me when i was a chap, late teens it was CYRANO DE BERGERAC, manned up then for many years until i recently watched THE ROAD , i have a son a similar age as the kid in the film, cried like a little baby girl!!!
    thats me bye the way not the youngfella

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

empire of the sun is emotional stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Not a movie, but the episode of Futurama with Fry's dog, Seymour.

Just before this clip starts Fry talks about Seymour living a long happy life after he (Fry) was frozen. Then...

Every damn time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

Advertisement