Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The Lion King, I'm usually watching it in a dusty room though with a few onions beside me so it's not me being a pansy or anything.. >_>

The Green Mile was heartbreaking too on more than one occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Its a Wonderful Life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

Just seen Warrior in the cinema, have to admit it was emotional!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I know it's not a film, But these two scenes from The royal family are the saddest moments of television, Film or series, I have ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Shed a tear or three watching 'Senna'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Atonement is pretty emotional too.

Particularly when you think Robbie
    actually survives dunkirk and is re-united with Cecelia. The killer bit is finding out the apology scene is imagined by Briony as an author. That the brief meeting earlier between Robbie and Cecelia in the cafe is the last time they see each other in hindsight. Doomed romance at it's best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'm a bit of a soft touch at these but anyway, here's the films I've definitely cried in:
    Life is Beautiful, it's just so damn LOVELY! I cried at the end of Wall-E when he
    wakes back up and doesn't seem to recognise eva so she gives him a little kiss

But the worst / most embarassing / funniest was once my and the gf were hungover in bed on a sunday morning, both still pretty drunk but with that horrible emotional hangover fear feeling. Anyway, for ****s and giggles I was reading her some Hans Christian Anderson stories from my phone (I downloaded a "collection of children's stories", or something like that). Anyway, we got through things like "the emperor's new clothes, the princess and the pea, and were having a great laugh. I moved onto "the ugly duckling" expecting more of the previous light-hearted tales. What I found was the most depressing and distressing story I've ever come across, and since I was reading it out loud, I there was no way to hide it in front of herself. Cried like a baby. I still can't even describe the story to people without getting a lump in my throat.

Here's a link if you don't believe me how sad the story actually is: http://hca.gilead.org.il/ugly_duc.html
    if you can get through the bit where he wants the swans to kill him then you are a more stoic man than I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Im usually unaffected by 'namby pamby drivel' but Ill admit I broke down during 'Elf'... it really caught me off guard :)

I had just come out of a 5yr relationship and may have been somewhat emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Shed a tear or three watching 'Senna'

Got me in the cinema, got me at home, and got me yesterday for the third time. The guy was a great driver, and the excitement and passion he brought to F1 was unrivalled back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 overhead

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

Without doubt the saddest true story ever put on film.. Worth the watch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Alpish wrote: »
    Just seen Warrior in the cinema, have to admit it was emotional!!

Just saw it last night. Dam that last fight really got the whole tear jerking thing going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

Just saw it last night. Dam that last fight really got the whole tear jerking thing going on.

I thought when the father broke down and he was comforted by Tommy was an excellent scene, had me teary anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Bloody Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭clig

Alpish wrote: »
    I thought when the father broke down and he was comforted by Tommy was an excellent scene, had me teary anyway :p
    Totally agree I was the same, such an emotional movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Im gonna assume this has been well said but "My Girl", still gets me apparently. Saw it as a kid, tears, saw it about a week or two ago and got misty eyed again!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

The Butterfly Effect (the one with Ashton Kutcher & Amy Smart)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Green Mile
    Up

Only movies to make me cry

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

irishh_bob wrote: »
    armageddon
    No wait, Harry I love you! Harry don't do this! I love you! No wait a minute!

NOOOOO HARRY!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I nearly lost it completely when I saw 'Grave of the Fireflies' about a month ago.

But I just about managed to keep it together. Just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭ballsacky

The Return of the King.

A Time To Kill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Never cried at a film, but, Love Actually at the end, moistens my eyes a bit.

Also for some reason, Spiderman 2, the bit where he saves the people by catching the cab in his web and a black girl shouts out "Go spidey"", I don't know why, but my cheek trembles a bit at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

A documentary called "Dear Zachery: A letter to son about his father"

• Registered Users Posts: 36 si_vis_pacem

@Tesco: Grave of the Fireflies is pretty tragic alright.

Honestly? The Lion King for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Im gonna assume this has been well said but "My Girl", still gets me apparently. Saw it as a kid, tears, saw it about a week or two ago and got misty eyed again!

the b@stard catches me every time!!

The Champ and Rudy are two that make me weep, cant help myself

GO RUDY!!1 KICK HIS ASS!!!! WHHOOOOOP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Cant remember whether tears were shed,but i remember the end of Cool hand luke been emotional.And some scenes in Platoon.
    Watership down was mentioned already +1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but watched 'Up' on my own and nearly broke down watching the start of it - chríst that was one sad start to a movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Surely been said already, but The Pursuit of Happiness - The moment when he learns if he got the job or not. So much emotion, simply incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

PaulieC wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been mentioned already but watched 'Up' on my own and nearly broke down watching the start of it - chríst that was one sad start to a movie!

A kids' movie!? My arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

amacachi wrote: »
    A kids' movie!? My arse!
    Are you saying that it is in your arse a kids movie - or my arse a kids movie could be sad :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

amacachi wrote: »
    A kids' movie!? My arse!

Kids movie or not the opening sequence of that film is one of the best of any film I've seen and it is heart wrenching!

Advertisement