Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options
  • 21-12-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

Inspired by the songs thread I thought I'd start one for movies. And I'm not talking about love movies or any of that crap (:pac:), I'm talking about movies for men!

I think Veronica Guerin was probably the most poignant movie I have ever seen. Undoubtedly one of the greatest Irish movies made. When the Fieldds of Athenry came on the tears were streaming down my face. As some one who was relatively young when she died, I never really understood the significance of her work until I saw that movie.
    I must also mention Forrest Gump and The Pursuit of Happyness, the latter of which were tears of joy. Both great movies.

So Gentlemen of Boards, what movies made you shed a tear or two, be it tears of happiness or sadness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The Wrestler
    Even after multiple viewings as one of my favourite films, I still tear up during the match at the end. RAM! RAM! RAM! RAM! RAM! RAM!

Toy Story 3
    The junkyard and the end.
    That is all.

I shed a tear watching "Tears of the sun" tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

The Van

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The Champ

I defy anyone to sit through this and not shed a tear TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Otacon wrote: »
    The Champ

I defy anyone to sit through this and not shed a tear TBH.

Haha brilliant! I grew up with my father telling me how the 10 in the house would be throwing around "Your cryin!", "No I'm not shut up!", "Ya are I can see ya!", when they watched "The Champ."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Not much of a crier but Schindlers List was a bit hairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I can get very weepy and emotional over films... despite myself. haha. Some of the following have provoked a few tears from me in the past:

The Green Mile

The scenes towards the end in the prison... I defy anybody not to have been in floods at that. Or the scene in which Paul Edgecombe (Tom Hanks; deserved an Oscar for that role) is talking with John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan) in the latter's cell. One of the most emotionally charged scenes in film...

The Fox And The Hound

When the little old lady has to take the fox away, and the fox and the hound are going to be seperated for life and all that there...

Schindler's List

Oskar Schindler breaks down as he cries out how he could have saved so many more people... the final scenes of the Schindler-Juden and the actors who portrayed them in the film placing stones upon Schindler's grave is particularly poignant.

E.T.

Poor little E.T. :(

Bambi

Man, the earlier Disney films were dark..... The little doe-eyed deer's tragedy is unparallelled in making me weep for hours as a child.

Philadelphia

So much of this made me feel very emotional; one of the very finest films out there and so much more for the towering performances from Tom Hanks (his first Oscar for his portrayal of Andrew Beckett) and Denzel Washington. The final scenes in the hospital are truly heartbreaking.

and while not films, certain scenes in television have made me go weepy too....

Frasier

While most of it involved tears of hysterical laughter... This one line from the final episode did have me feeling sad and provoked some tears.
    Frasier addresses his radio audience one last time: "For eleven years you've heard me say, "I’m listening." Well, you were listening, too. And for that I am eternally grateful. Goodnight, Seattle."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button got me. As did Marley & Me, though my dog of 14 years had just died so I've an excuse for that one! :D

The Green Mile makes me hide away too. Damn my easily shed tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Marley & Me

+1 - anyone who lost a dog must have had a lot of emotions brought up, I defo shed tears to this. first at a movie in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I' a bit like DazMarz and can get weepy at some rather silly stuff :P

The Shawshank Redemption - Brooks was here :(

Meet Joe Black - The chat between Pitt and Hopkins at the end, fantastic

Saving Private Ryan - "Give up, you don't stand a chance! Let's end this here! It will be easier for you, much easier. You'll see it will be over quickly."

I concur with most of the films mentioned so far that I've seen except E.T. and The Van :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd been messing around this girl for absolute ages a few years back and we had come to the stage where we'd decided to make a go of it relationship-wise. So the first logical boyfriend/girlfriend thing to do dinner out and a trip to the cinema.

We decided on Marley and me. My fourteen year old dog I'd know my whole life had been put down about a month previous. So anyway all was going great until the end. I look over at her and she is bawling her eyes out but I'm really worried about keeping face, it being our first real date, and am biting my lip (doing shocking well not to cry).

Credits come up, no tears from me. Neither of us are saying more than "God that was sad". So leave Cineworld fairly somber when she decides to perk up and discuss the movie and what pub we were more than likely heading to.
    She chats away to me and my first word are trying to tell her about my dead dog.

"Yep that was sad. My d.........................". Gigantic lump in my throat and mouth as dry as hell. I tried again.

"My dog di......................................" again gigantic lump in my throat.

I then cut my losses and clear out told the girl she would probably be getting no more conversation out of me for the rest of the night unless I burst my shít crying to get all this emotion out of me.

She laughed and gave me a hug as I cried tears that could have filled the Nile. Just the pair of us at the top of Henry street. I wish one of the passersby took a photo I probably looks hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think I'd nominate a gem of a film I watched very recently called 'Everybodys fine'. Robert de Niro is the lead character in a film that really intrigued me till the very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

The end of toy story 3 had me in bits, and mufasa dying in the lion king. The whole ending of dead poets society got me too, SO UNFAIR.

But what do i know,I cried when socky ran away on the den, had to be at least 12 fgs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Hatchi.

I was in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

+1 on Shawshank Redemption. The final scene with Red going to meet Andy. The ending monologue is just epic.

Red: I]narrating[/I "I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope."

The Green Mile too, when
    John Coffee is getting ready for execution

Wall-E always gets me teared up.
    Especially when Eva shuts down and he's trying to wake her up
    . And at the end when
    she fixes Wall-E but he doesnt remember anything
    :(

I watched Rocky not so long ago, i had forgotten what a powerful movie it is. He struggled so much. Got teary eyed during it a few times alright. But thats ok, cause its Rocky ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Brokeback Mountain, yeah, I admit it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Brokeback Mountain, yeah, I admit it. ;)

Yep,have to agree on that one.The scene with Ledger at the end was so moving.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Yep,have to agree on that one.The scene with Ledger at the end was so moving.:(

Heart breaking stuff alright, never live your life with regrets or in accordance to someone else's rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Ha ha.

+1 for Marley and me.

A dire, dire, dire movie played with zero charism by Wilson and Aniston, with a non existent story and irritating set pieces.

But at the end,
    when he's found outside, the way he's put to sleep..... gulp. Something, ahem, in my eye, lump in throat, ahem. Cough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Gladiator:
    Maximus returning home at the end reuniting with his wife and son, and the whole "He was a soldier of Rome. Honour him", "Who will help me carry him?" bit.

Always mysteriously get something in my eye at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Into The Wild. Everytime :(

Both the ending, and:
    When Chris leaves Ron Franz saying he'll talk to him about being adopted when he returns from Alaska.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

saving private ryan

although its not a movie, band of brothers

jerry maguire

shawshank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'd been messing around this girl for absolute ages a few years back and we had come to the stage where we'd decided to make a go of it relationship-wise. So the first logical boyfriend/girlfriend thing to do dinner out and a trip to the cinema.

We decided on Marley and me. My fourteen year old dog I'd know my whole life had been put down about a month previous. So anyway all was going great until the end. I look over at her and she is bawling her eyes out but I'm really worried about keeping face, it being our first real date, and am biting my lip (doing shocking well not to cry).

Credits come up, no tears from me. Neither of us are saying more than "God that was sad". So leave Cineworld fairly somber when she decides to perk up and discuss the movie and what pub we were more than likely heading to.
    She chats away to me and my first word are trying to tell her about my dead dog.

"Yep that was sad. My d.........................". Gigantic lump in my throat and mouth as dry as hell. I tried again.

"My dog di......................................" again gigantic lump in my throat.

I then cut my losses and clear out told the girl she would probably be getting no more conversation out of me for the rest of the night unless I burst my shít crying to get all this emotion out of me.

She laughed and gave me a hug as I cried tears that could have filled the Nile. Just the pair of us at the top of Henry street. I wish one of the passersby took a photo I probably looks hilarious.

Awwww! Are ye still together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Raco316

toy story 3 without a doubt!tears running down my face at the end!!

and into the wild especially the bit when emile hirsch and the old guy are having the chat.me and my mate were watching it and i swear we were about to cry when some1 came in from the kitchen that was making a cup of tea and she said she forgot to put the teabag in just as it got sad and the two of us broke our heart laughing!ruined the moment she did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

The end of Casablanca always gets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Titanic

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Dub.

In the Name of the Father - very emotional last scene.

Cinema Paradiso - the collected kissing scenes at the end.

Jean de Florette/ Manon de source - two very tear inducing French movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Cool Runnings, when that bobsleigh turned upside down i cried, they were so damn close. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Dub. wrote: »
    In the Name of the Father - very emotional last scene.

Cinema Paradiso - the collected kissing scenes at the end.

Jean de Florette/ Manon de source - two very tear inducing French movies.

Yes, for the last 2. Very much.

Advertisement