Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Grave of the Fireflies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I'd often get a little bit emotional during sad movies, One trick I've learned to stop any tears is to bite my tongue and try think about something else.

I watched a documentary called Dear Zachary the other day and it's one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I was watching it with my flatmate so didn't want to look unmanly, So instead i nearly bit my tongue off.....i think i need a new trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

the presidents speech in independance day brings a tear and makes me fired up to save the world all in one speech

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I watched a documentary called Dear Zachary the other day and it's one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I was watching it with my flatmate so didn't want to look unmanly, So instead i nearly bit my tongue off.....i think i need a new trick.

Ahh here! How was your flatmate during it? That film is utterly heart breaking/wrenching/ripping. But yeah I do recommend anyone watching it does so alone with about a full roll of tissues. Never has a film had such an effect on me like that one. It really does stay with ya :/

Now it wouldn't work with that film but other ones I've gotten away with not crying by once you feel the sting to start looking up at the ceiling while not moving your head and blinking like mad! Not sure if I've mentioned that before but sure....it's a handy tip to try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

armageddon.

Marley and me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anvil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Ahh here! How was your flatmate during it? That film is utterly heart breaking/wrenching/ripping. But yeah I do recommend anyone watching it does so alone with about a full roll of tissues. Never has a film had such an effect on me like that one. It really does stay with ya :/

Now it wouldn't work with that film but other ones I've gotten away with not crying by once you feel the sting to start looking up at the ceiling while not moving your head and blinking like mad! Not sure if I've mentioned that before but sure....it's a handy tip to try!

I downloaded this last night and will watch it tonight.I dont know anything about it at all except its supposed to be ultra sad.I shall report my thoughts back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭CroatoanCat

I'm a woman, hope it's okay to add my nominations!

As so many others have said, the opening sequence of Up; it just fells you.

Nil by Mouth - a superb film and extraordinary performances by Ray Winstone and Kathy Burke. I cried through large chunks of that, even at the end when you were left wondering if Winstone's character had changed in any real way.

Once were Warriors - the scene where the mother makes the discovery in the garden. Heart-breaking.

I downloaded this last night and will watch it tonight.I dont know anything about it at all except its supposed to be ultra sad.I shall report my thoughts back later.

Don't watch any trailers or read anything about it. Never watch any trailers anymore as they always give away the whole feicin movie >.<
    Have the volume up good and loud too so ya can hear everything!

I normally hate watching movies with others in the house they always get up to put on the kettle or to go to the toilet during an important part in the movie, drives me mad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'd often get a little bit emotional during sad movies, One trick I've learned to stop any tears is to bite my tongue and try think about something else.

Hmm all the talk of this has me very curious to see it now, might have to source a copy of it from somewhere. Or anyone know anywhere to download it? if your allowed say on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Ah sure girls are allowed to cry at sad movies!
    I'm not sure how my flatmate was during it, after i think we both kinda mumbled "well that was depressing" and didn't make eye contact.
    Hmm all the talk of this has me very curious to see it now, might have to source a copy of it from somewhere. Or anyone know anywhere to download it? if your allowed say on this thread.

To be honest i dunno if i'd actually recommend it, sad movies are ok but the fact this is a documentary it really stays with you as Toni said. Don't think we are allowed to talk about downloading stuff (illegally)

Don't watch any trailers or read anything about it. Never watch any trailers anymore as they always give away the whole feicin movie >.<
    Have the volume up good and loud too so ya can hear everything!

Just got done with it.Jesus Christ,glad I have the house to myself.:(

Ah sure girls are allowed to cry at sad movies!
    I'm not sure how my flatmate was during it, after i think we both kinda mumbled "well that was depressing" and didn't make eye contact.

Awww bless ya's! Well I wouldn't think any less of a lad for getting some tears in his eyes or crying at a movie. In fact it would be damn refreshing to see!

Even though I do try and hide tears mysef if I'm along with someone, that's why I like watching sad movies alone as I can cry buckets in peace :o
    Just got done with it.Jesus Christ,glad I have the house to myself.:(

Yeah it gets to ya :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saving Private Ryan

Near the end when a dying Captain Miller(Hanks)tells Ryan to "Earn this"
    And then it flashes foward to the present with Ryan kneeling at miller's grave, he turns to his wife and asks her, "Have I been a good man?"
    Jesus that gets me everytime...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Sophie's Choice

Lorenzo's Oil

The Green Mile (I had read the book first and that also had me in tears. One of the most perfectly cast films ever.)

Shawshank Redemption

Toy Story 3

Up

Steel Magnolias

I don't understand the tears for Into the Wild. That film (and book) infuriated me. He was a selfish little boy. Also, Sean Penn changed the ending and a lot of the film is pure speculation so I wouldn't exactly call it a true story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

theres only one film that really ever made me remotely tearfull and thats was Hidalgo

I used to ride this spoil brats ponny muck out his stables as a child/early teen... Funny thing was that spoiled little brat couldnt ride him... But with me Misty was just fine, with me... he never once threw me but threw his owner about 15 times...

That movie kinda reminds me of the pony cause they were booth similier in colour and temperment....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Just finished watching a documentary there; referenced a film fitting for this thread (and with a nicely matching title):
    Boys Don't Cry

Depressing but quite powerful film, based on a real person.

That the one with Hilary Swank?

Tough movie alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

That the one with Hilary Swank?

Tough movie alright.
    Yep that's the one :) tough one indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My boyfriend sobbed for the last 15 minutes of Marley and Me, proper sobbing, face soaked with tears. He didn't even start crying at a sad bit, just when Owen Wilson and Marley were sitting in the field, out of nowhere! I laughed, probably shouldn't have, was pretty funny though.

• Advertisement

Acoshla wrote: »
    My boyfriend sobbed for the last 15 minutes of Marley and Me, proper sobbing, face soaked with tears. He didn't even start crying at a sad bit, just when Owen Wilson and Marley were sitting in the field, out of nowhere! I laughed, probably shouldn't have, was pretty funny though.

You evil woman!

Dont you know how men feel about their dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You evil woman!

Dont you know how men feel about their dogs!

Yeah I do, and I love dogs, and our own dog was curled up at our feet...it was funny mainly because he was trying to keep it in, so the sobs were even bigger :P

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

aej1974 wrote: »
    Last of the mohicans.
    Calibos wrote: »
    The Last Samurai

These two get a little welling up from me every time. (Although the book of Mohicans did get me crying the first time I read it!)

I know its not a film but theres an episode of ER where a patient is paralysed and losing feeling from the toes upwards and the family just watches as the paralysis moves up the body until they die.

Was watching it with a group of guys in college and everyone was nearly cryin. Except me....who was actually crying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Ah "The Lion King" or maybe "A Beautiful Mind"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

The Wind That Shakes the Barley: When Chris Reilly is shot up the mountains by Damian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Inside I'm Dancing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_I%27m_Dancing). Totally heartbreaking film and so, so relevant from a male perspective as DMD is almost exclusively suffered by boys and young men.

Ephraim.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

million dollar baby, carlitos way(the end), braveheart(when he sees his wife walk through the crowd)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Never let me go

Strange compelling movie which is very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Just finished watching An Officer And A Gentleman for the first time in years. Remember watching it as a kid, and not thinking too much of it. But I've been in floods for the last 15 or so minutes of the film... from the
    suicide scene
    up until Zack Mayo
    walks into the factory where his girlfriend works, in his officer's white uniform, all to the instrumental strains of 'Up Where We Belong'...
    ... What a film, what a story, what acting, what a tear jerker and what a triumph over adversity! To anyone who has not watched it and might be turned off by it being a soppy love story... watch this film. Classic film, with a great love story that is not sappy at all. All the parts fit, and anyone who doesn't cry at the end of this film must be made of stone...

Advertisement