Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Forrest Gump, when Forrest visits Jenny's grave..
    Braveheart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Wonderful scene and superbly acted

Also highly recommend Amelie as another tug at the heart strings film

Not a movie, but recommended all the same, is the Christmas episode from the first season of The West Wing. It's called In Excelsis Deo and it's very hard to watch it dry-eyed, especially if you see it around Christmas time. It's also very much a bloke's episode.
    A homeless veteran dies and his body is uncollected for hours, and Toby Ziegler intervenes to try to get him a proper burial with military honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Spoiler tags and reveal, I'm curious :)

I'd imagine its the scene with Dukie.
    It shows that despite his intelligence and strong potential, the streets eventually overwhelmed him and dragged him down. He ends up shooting heroin with the scavenger men.

I cried in an earlier scene with one of the Wire's most loveable characters, Bubbles.
    He discovers that he accidentally killed his friend and 'protege'. It nearly sends him insane with grief. However, it eventually leads to his redemption. Beautiful scene when Kima visits him and he just starts crying hysterically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Golightly

I'm brand new here so haven't read the whole thread but Dr Zhivago gets me every time. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'd imagine its the scene with Dukie.
    It shows that despite his intelligence and strong potential, the streets eventually overwhelmed him and dragged him down. He ends up shooting heroin with the scavenger men.

This scene not so much, though I was obviously incredibly disappointed.
    I cried in an earlier scene with one of the Wire's most loveable characters, Bubbles.
    He discovers that he accidentally killed his friend and 'protege'. It nearly sends him insane with grief. However, it eventually leads to his redemption. Beautiful scene when Kima visits him and he just starts crying hysterically.

I was destroyed by this bit, absolutely heartbreaking. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 marziepan

True Grit's ending is unbearably poignant and sad and moving in a way I'd always supposed the Coen brothers to be too aesthetically stylised and intellectual to successfully bring off.

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind's premise of memory erasing to rub out all those horrible break-up feelings and with them all the good stuff is sniffly for anyone who's suffered said feelings. Or simply the deep well of reflection and tender reminiscence that comes from a life lived through the sundering of friendships and acquaintances.

I Am Legend for the bit with the dog dying. I sobbed publicly if unostentatiously i.e. with my face buried in the crook of my girlfriend's neck in the Savoy. Later on I had a hugely enjoyable and cleansing sob-fest safely tucked-up in bed. That said, my beloved dog had died under entirely needless circumstances only a week or so earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Memnoch wrote: »
    Grave of the fireflies. I just sat there in the living room for about half an hour afterwards crying non-stop (silently). The misses was baffled as usually she's pretty quick to turn on the taps when we are watching anything emotional/sentimental, but she wasn't moved by this the way I was.

Grave Of The Fireflies is the saddest film I have ever seen. I watched it alone and was actually left pleading with the tv to take it back! Please do not dismiss it because its animation, you'll be missing out.

Others that I can think of off the top of my head -

Shawshank
    Road To Perdition
    The Champ
    Up
    Million Dollar Baby
    Truman Show
    Forrest Gump
    Cinema Paradiso
    Life is Beautiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Life is Beautiful.

Wonderful movie, my favourite foreign file, very emotional.

Boy in the Stipped Pajamas

Another one that got me.

Marley & Me

I added this one not really for me, I taught the movie wasn't the best, but my son babbled uncontrollably and that set me off :(

Up

Those first few minutes are some of the best storytelling ever.

The Green Mile

It's been said already.

Kramer v Kramer

To the other poster who connected with this movie and the last breakfast. I watched this movie again a little time ago and needless to say, there was something in my eye.

This is my father

Have not seen this mentioned, this is a great Irish movie. The Quinn brothers, James Caan and a little of Colm Meaney, Brendan Gleeson, Stephen Rea, and John Cusack too. You'll laugh, then cry. It just happens. There's a video trailer here

The Matchmaker

Another Irish one, very funny in parts and quite sad in others. Lots of good names in it, Milo O'Shea, Dennis Leary, Janeane Garofalo, Maria Doyle Kennedy, and David Kelly among others.

The End of the Affair

Ralph Fiennes, Stephen Rea, and Julianne Moore. The music alone will set me off, it's got a powerful soundtrack but the story is just wonderfully told. Highly recommended.

A movie I've seen recently had a few 'something in my eye' moments too. Matching Jack Cancer & Children. :(

Honorable mentions to some TV series, Cold Feet - Already mentioned, excellent show and very sad at the end. Six Feet Under, possibly the best series ending ever (even better than the Sopranos!). Excellent show and a fantastic wrap up.

Of course there are plenty more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TurkeyBurger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tonysea

Cannot believe I haven't seen this posted The Notebook, would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Also, The Life of David Gale very sad.

Some Mothers Son.

And The pursuit of Happyness is a very, very sad film.

Song for A Raggy Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ms.Odgeynist

Has to be Gallipoli!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Rocky...and specifcially this scene...dunno why....maybe not tears...but...just so cool...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I may have mentioned this already but it's worth mentioning again. 'Biutiful' is one of the best and saddest films I've seen in a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

tonysea wrote: »
    Also, The Life of David Gale very sad.

Song for A Raggy Boy.

I'll second these ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Alpha Dog and The Deer Hunter would be two that I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Alpha Dog and The Deer Hunter would be two that I remember.

Yeah the Deer Hunter gets me. Jesus even the song Cavatina would bring a tear to a glass eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

I'm not exactly a man but... I'm extremely surprised no one has mentioned 'Up' :eek:

The part where she was at the doctors.. Had to blink back the tears, thank God for 3d glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Up yeah jesus for a cartoon aimed at kids my god.

Forrest gump.

Billy elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Up yeah jesus for a cartoon aimed at kids my god.

Forrest gump.

Billy elliot

I think the genius of Up is it is both a kid's film and an adult's film. The imagery/ fantasy/ nature focus appeals to so many kids and the storyline, which no normal kid gives a **** about, is completely adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sarahaw

Seven Pounds soo sad. awwh

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Havent read the whole thread and its probably came up already, but that scene in The pursuit of happyness, when Will smiths character is sitting on the floor of the subway bathroom with his son hit me right in the chest. Pretty embarrassing to be sobbing in the middle of a movie theatre full of people. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

My girlfriend made me watch "The Notebook" and I'll never forgive her! I didn't cry but it was the closest I ever came! Serious lump in the throat!
    That and "Marley and me" :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 donal_cam

'Come and See'... a Russian film about the Partisan War in Belarus during WW2...the church burning scene when the SS massacred a village by locking them in a burning building made me shed a tear or two...shocking stuff...reminded me of the time I visited Auschwitz and the gas chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Marley & Me

I'm guilty for that, and more recently after watching Haichi on Sky Movies... I'm a sap when it comes to that sort of stuff, loving dogs and all. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

The Wrestler

Toy Story 3
    The junkyard and the end.
    That is all.

Thank God it wasn't just me. My better half laughed at me when I told her that was one of a few films I ever cried at. She stills laughs at me when my 2 year old is watching it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Uber gay but I cried like a baby watching beaches.

Also Bambi, Philadelphia, the land before time and Michael Collins.

The Social Network...

All that money....and 500 million friends???:confused:

It's not fair....it's just not fair :(

*sob*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Damn Forrest Gump

"I miss you Jenny" standing over her grave

:(

Advertisement