Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mcc85

One of my best friends cried at Click

we mock him constantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Penitent man

Dead Poets Society. The death of Neil and the end scene; 'Oh Captain, my Captain'.

Scent of a Woman. Al Pacino's 'I'm in the dark here' scene in the hotel. powerful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

marley and me
    the champ
    one flew over the cuckoo's nest

i remember bawling as a kids at'' lassie come home''

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

One of the saddest moments in a movie for me was at the end of the "The Garage". Pat Shortt's character was such a pathetic and harmless soul and to see him reduced to that was heart-breaking.

I remember as a kid "White Squall" used to give me a lump in my throat.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Those opening minutes of Up. They'd make the Devil cry. Also the end of Toy Story 3 gets me every time :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

One of the saddest moments in a movie for me was at the end of the "The Garage". Pat Shortt's character was such a pathetic and harmless soul and to see him reduced to that was heart-breaking.

I remember as a kid "White Squall" used to give me a lump in my throat.

I'll second the garage i'd no idea pat Short had it in him, there was definately something in my eye when i saw that first and also Will Smiths Dad leaving it was one i'd completely forgotten about but i remember i did cry when i saw it first but i was only young then!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

mcc85 wrote: »
    One of my best friends cried at Click

Me too, watched with the Mrs, unable to look at her in case she would see, when it was over I turned around and her eyes were overflowing which set me off again

Invictus too, fortunately that was in the cinema so manly tears were hidden in the darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Defo tears at the end of The Wind That Shakes The Barley. That was sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

This always brings a tear to my eye, ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 oneshotfinch

Not a movie, but the ending of Ghost Trick was the most recent story that caused me to shed a tear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'd been messing around this girl for absolute ages a few years back and we had come to the stage where we'd decided to make a go of it relationship-wise. So the first logical boyfriend/girlfriend thing to do dinner out and a trip to the cinema.

We decided on Marley and me. My fourteen year old dog I'd know my whole life had been put down about a month previous. So anyway all was going great until the end. I look over at her and she is bawling her eyes out but I'm really worried about keeping face, it being our first real date, and am biting my lip (doing shocking well not to cry).

Credits come up, no tears from me. Neither of us are saying more than "God that was sad". So leave Cineworld fairly somber when she decides to perk up and discuss the movie and what pub we were more than likely heading to.
    She chats away to me and my first word are trying to tell her about my dead dog.

"Yep that was sad. My d.........................". Gigantic lump in my throat and mouth as dry as hell. I tried again.

"My dog di......................................" again gigantic lump in my throat.

I then cut my losses and clear out told the girl she would probably be getting no more conversation out of me for the rest of the night unless I burst my shít crying to get all this emotion out of me.

She laughed and gave me a hug as I cried tears that could have filled the Nile. Just the pair of us at the top of Henry street. I wish one of the passersby took a photo I probably looks hilarious.

Thats so random! I was just saying this to one of the lads about 3 mins before I found this thread, Couldnt believe he didnt cry, then again he's not a dog lover!

For me probably more just can't think right now...

Marley and Me
    Toy Story 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This is from Carl Sagan's documentary Cosmos. I find it very moving:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭IrishMactire

Dear Zachary is a Documentary film made by a man bout his life-long best friend who was murdered. I will not saying anything else about it lest I spoil it for those who have not seen it.

I challenge any man to watch that movie, giving it his full attention, without crying...
    ... You will not succeed in watching it without tearing up.

Dear Zachary
    has the same effect on you mentally that chopping up fresh onions can have on you physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

For anyone who mentioned UP, this is pretty sad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ok this'll be a long list.

***SPOILERS***

The Green Mile: when Koffey is walking the mile... :'(
    The Wind That Shakes the Barley: Basically from the scene in the cinema where they learn of the treaty on.
    Michael Collins: When he's talking to the kid at the back of the pub in Cork.
    The General: I know he was the bad guy and all...but I couldn't help but shed a tear at the end.
    Titanic: not so much for Di Caprio and Winslet, but the general air of desperation as the ship goes down.
    Cable Guy when they're on top of the tower towards the end.
    Green Street: the final brawl, and when Matt goes back to America and does the VO about how "his death taught me to live"
    The Boxer: when the gym is burned to the ground.
    The Hunger: not sure if I've the right title, but its about Bobby Sands.

And many, many more which I can't think of off the top of my head which make me think I should trade in my testicles at the next available opportunity. :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

THFC wrote: »
    Inspired by the songs thread I thought I'd start one for movies. And I'm not talking about love movies or any of that crap (:pac:), I'm talking about movies for men!

I think Veronica Guerin was probably the most poignant movie I have ever seen. Undoubtedly one of the greatest Irish movies made. When the Fieldds of Athenry came on the tears were streaming down my face. As some one who was relatively young when she died, I never really understood the significance of her work until I saw that movie.
    I must also mention Forrest Gump and The Pursuit of Happyness, the latter of which were tears of joy. Both great movies.

So Gentlemen of Boards, what movies made you shed a tear or two, be it tears of happiness or sadness?

None.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 greenlunchbox

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, SNIFF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

ET-
    when the alien almost dies

Castaway -
    when Wilson is lost

it seems i cant relate to human loss though =/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Grave of the fireflies -
    When setsuko's ghost is still playing around the cave...... or just the entire movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

trackguy wrote: »
    Grave Of The Fireflies is the saddest film I have ever seen. I watched it alone and was actually left pleading with the tv to take it back! Please do not dismiss it because its animation, you'll be missing out.

Whoops didnt know it was already posted.....:o anyway enjoy the trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Holy sh!t, has anyone seen the docu-movie Dear Zachary? My God I cried like a teenage school-girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

has no one here seen Brian's Song?

I'd like to tell you about a guy I know, a friend of mine. His name is Brian Piccolo. And he has the heart of a giant, and that rare form of courage that allows him to kid himself and his opponent, cancer. He has a mental attitude that makes me proud to have a friend who spells out the world 'courage,' 24 hours a day, every day of his life. Now you honor me by giving me this award. But I say to you here now Brian Piccolo is the man who deserves the George S. Halas award. It is mine tonight... and Brian Piccolo's tomorrow.
    I love Brian Piccolo. And I'd like all of you to love him too. And so tonight, when you hit your knees, please ask God to love him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Holy sh!t, has anyone seen the docu-movie Dear Zachary? My God I cried like a teenage school-girl.

'Dear Zachary' was pretty intense alright. It made me more angry then sad.

Brokeback Mountain is one of the most beautiful films of all time IMO, and is above anything else a story about forbidden love.

When Heath Ledger delivers that "Jack, I swear..." line it's all over for me. :o
    It also boasts an an incredible soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Speaking of Heath Ledger, what about Monsters Ball when he and his Dad, Billy Bob Thornton are arguing and he says "You hate me. You hate me, don't you? Answer me! You hate me don't you!"
    His Dad replies with "Yes, I hate you. Always have." and Heath's character replies with
    "Well I've always loved you."

That always made me very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Not a movie, but I'm a massive addict of various (good) TV shows, and have been searching out a load of them recently;
    watched an old one from the 80's 'Boys from the Blackstuff', which was brilliant (great mix of bleak reality and dark humour etc.).
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083689/

The fourth episode of that ('Yozzers story'), is one of the most powerful, well written/acted things I've seen for a while; hard not to be affected by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Felt a bit introverted today and stuck on the Notebook this evening. And oh dear. :o

I'm handing in my man card tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

THE BUCKET LIST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

1. The Pursuit of Happiness. What made it worse was the fact that it is based on a true story!
    The bit where Will smith and the son resort to sleeping in the public toilet in the Train station. also, the bit where he is told that he got the position.

2. Life Is Beautiful (La Vita è bella) (1997). Very very sad! but somewhat funny as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There are 3 for me. 1 of which I watched for the first time last night.

1. Everybody's Fine. De Niro is brilliant as the widower who's trying to reconnect with his family. Lump in my throat all the way through this. And then sure I was in tears at the end.

2. Hatchi - no comment needed.

3. Pursuit of happyness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

We should have a new topic for movies that make grown men stand up and fist pump. :D

Advertisement