Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DS333

"Brokeback Mountain", for obvious reasons.

"La Haine". Initially it just shocked me to bits. Then, in retrospect, it made me bawl. Everyone should see it. My one piece of advice would be - stick with it, no matter what. You'll understand why. To say more would ruin the impact. And what an impact!

Another French film, "A Love to Hide". I have to admit that I got such a shock at the end of that one that I threw up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭killerking

The Naked Gun series always makes me cry with laughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭gothicus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My brother was telling me about how much he cried at Up! Not really sure why, but I was delighted that he did, and delighted he admitted it!

My Dad always cries at sad films. We watched Jack Frost the other day, he always cried when the snowman dad melts :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭killerking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Dub. wrote: »
    In the Name of the Father - very emotional last scene.

That and the scene just after Giuseppe dies and the jamaican guy leads the fire tribute. Moving stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I'm a bit of a sociopath when it comes to movies, the actors are always clearly actors and difficult to empathise with.

But if a dog dies in a film I'm off. I had to leave the cinema during "I Am Legend".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

"Of Mice and Men" - Films dont usually get to me like that but its seriously sad

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

When the W.H. Auden poem is recited in 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' ..quiet moving, usually has me snifflin' !

• Advertisement

Terminator 2 would be the top of my list. I find it an amazing end to an amazing film.

"I know now why you cry, but it is something I can never do."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Chronicles of Narnia: Lion, the witch and the wardrobe...

The bit with Aslan on the altar...jesus that did it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Marley and Me-Because i love dogs.
    The pursuit of happiness-What a fantastic end
    Casper, The Friendly Ghost- When casper gives up the chance of life to let the girls father come back to life.

The Wire, when it finished...

And basically, any film that has someone crying, seeing tears always gets to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Marley and me seriously messed with my emotions :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 conorby

The Champ it has to be. Though Man about dog is on now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

My list:

Rocky
    Rocky V
    When Rocky remembers recieving the gold neckchain from Mickey.
    Rocky Balboa
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Marley and Me (And I never owned a dog)
    Forrest Gump
    When Forrest visits Jenny's grave.
    The Champ
    Brotherhood. It's a Korean war film that I highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Plenty of films already mentioned have made me hold back the tears but there are only two instances where I can remember crying proper and both were tv shows.

The ending of 'Cold Feet'
    Rachel (Helen Baxendale) dies in a car crash, leaving Adam (James Nesbitt) a widower with a newborn
    . It was such a shock I did not expect it at all.

The ending of 'Six feet under'
    The final sequence, everybody dies,
    . So poignant it perfectly summed up the series I could not hold back the tears. I was left dazed and I could not stop thinking about it for days.

I think the fact that in both case I had watched the entire series over a couple of weeks made me so much more invested in the characters and so they meant more to me than a two hour film could ever hope to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

sink wrote: »
    The ending of 'Six feet under'
    The final sequence, everybody dies,
    . So poignant it perfectly summed up the series I could not hold back the tears. I was left dazed and I could not stop thinking about it for days.

You'll never listen to Sia's track again without the reminder that comes with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Rosicky7 wrote: »
    My list:

Rocky
    Rocky V
    When Rocky remembers recieving the gold neckchain from Mickey.
    Rocky Balboa
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Marley and Me (And I never owned a dog)
    Forrest Gump
    When Forrest visits Jenny's grave.
    The Champ
    Brotherhood. It's a Korean war film that I highly recommend.
    Paulie breaking down always gets me going.
    :( Agreed on your Rocky V scene too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Even Chuck Norris cried watching this

They dont make kids movies as good as this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

For anyone that keeps saying Marley and Me go watch Hachiko, unbelievably sad for any dog lovers, there is one bit that puts you in bits

Also The Bucket List is a real tearjerker especially the part
    when he is at the funeral and sez he meets the most beautiful girl in the world (his grand daughter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

The Breakfast Club.

Did John and Clare ever get it on or Andy and Ali?

Did Brian every build that fcuking lamp??

Seriously though, the final scene, chokes me up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

The actual happy end to The Killing Fields

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Not a film but it beats the crap out of most of the stuff posted here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cwe6QJdru8

Will's Dad leaves in Fresh Prince of Bel Air

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Grave of the fireflies. I just sat there in the living room for about half an hour afterwards crying non-stop (silently). The misses was baffled as usually she's pretty quick to turn on the taps when we are watching anything emotional/sentimental, but she wasn't moved by this the way I was.

Also choked up a little in S1E11 of Rome (yes I know it's a TV show.) Something about strong and authentic tales of "brotherhood," does that to me. Also remember a few tears at the end of Black Hawk Down way back when in the cinema.

Also that episode of Babylon 5 where the Vorlon, Ambassador Kosh
    Is killed
    had me close to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Has Bicentennial man been said?
    Gets me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I love a good tearjerker! Its the only time men can get away with having a cry!

I found 'The Road' very sad .. probably more so because I had read the book just before seeing it which was even sadder.

The Wrestler - You could see the ending coming but it was still very emotional

Rocky Balboa -- When he speaks to his kid on the street and also at the end .. I think very sad because I was saying goodbye to a series of movies that spanned the full lenght of my life ... I felt kinda old lol!

Everything's fine - This was a brilliant movie .. really makes you think about your relationship with your parents and your father in particular

A Very Long Engagement - A french film with the beautiful Audrey Tatou .. excellent movie and very sad in places.

For some reason the end of City of Angles with Nic Cage gets me! Very cheesy movie but the end is evil!

The Fountain... Amazing movie but it really divides audiences. If you buy into the story it really tugs on the heart strings.

Also as others have mentioned ... Shawshank, The Green Mile, Million Dollar Baby, Meet Joe Black

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Culann

irishh_bob wrote: »
    armageddon

I agree, the scene at the end
    when Bruce Willis takes Affleck's place and also when they're fighting over stopping the nuclear bomb

Men of Honour - courtroom scene at the end
    The Iron Giant - a cartoon! scene at the end
    when the giant intercepts the missile
    LOTR - most of the battles scenes involving the Rohirrim, especially when Yosser Hug....er, Bernard Hill is giving his speeches

and various others, I really am getting softer as I get older

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

E.T -

Advertisement