Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Always brings the tears for me.

Big Fish
    The scene near the end when the son is talking to he dying father in the hospital.
    A fantastic movie for those that have never seen it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭905

WALL-E: How has this not been mentioned more? The most beautiful love stories are always the simplest and you won't get finer than Wall-E's simple gestures of love. Ach, and the end...

Also in this vein would be King Kong, that final scene always gets me.

E.T. has begun to affect me now too, and Jean de Florrette/Manon des Sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

michael collins
    our volenteer heroes being executed by the british b@xxxxxs.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Last time I cried was watching the end of 'The Wind That Shakes The Barley'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

toy story 3 blubbed big time
    turner and hooch,i loved hooch :(

near crybaby moments include the curious case of benjamin button,gran torino,michael collins when they find out we got independance and he says we brought the british empire to its knees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

If you've ever watched the Wire, what happens to one of the characters at the end is the saddest thing I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

905 wrote: »
    WALL-E: How has this not been mentioned more? The most beautiful love stories are always the simplest and you won't get finer than Wall-E's simple gestures of love. Ach, and the end...

I agree, Wall-E wins this! Doesn't actually make me cry, but it comes very close. The pursuit of happiness also comes very close,
    the scene when he is in the subway toilet specifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The last film that made me cry was "Despicable Me", though I did drink a bottle & a half of wine during it, which probably didn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jmn89

127 Hours today was a tough one - and in female company too (disaster). *just* held it together though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dunno if its been mentioned but it was on ITV4 or something last night.

The Last Samurai

BTW anytime the subject of weepy scenes in movies comes up I always think of this scene, 3 minutes in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Oh, forgot to include this one. The ending of Blackadder Goes Forth is easily the most emotional and moving scene I have ever seen either on television or on film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

the end of babe when he wins gets me every time i see it for some reason i cannot explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

the wind that shakes the barley.
    Im not "irish" but I lived there from 2 years old until 20 ish so I feel it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

fecker got me with that 1 again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Watched My Sisters Keeper with the wife over Christmas and I've no problem admitting that I cried like a baby during it, saddest film I've ever endured :(

Anyone who doesn't cry during this film is not human :P

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

"Ned Kelly" end scene had me welling up

"Terminator 2" with the thumb and everything :( no matter how many times i see it

and "in bruges" the raglan road scene, brendan gleeson was amzing throughout and the song added to an already poignant moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The opening scenes in Saving Private Ryan.

The visit to the graveyard, the cut to Omaha Beach....damn you Senor Spielbergo!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Playboy wrote: »
    I love a good tearjerker! Its the only time men can get away with having a cry!

I found 'The Road' very sad .. probably more so because I had read the book just before seeing it which was even sadder.

The Wrestler - You could see the ending coming but it was still very emotional

Rocky Balboa -- When he speaks to his kid on the street and also at the end .. I think very sad because I was saying goodbye to a series of movies that spanned the full lenght of my life ... I felt kinda old lol!

Everything's fine - This was a brilliant movie .. really makes you think about your relationship with your parents and your father in particular

A Very Long Engagement - A french film with the beautiful Audrey Tatou .. excellent movie and very sad in places.

For some reason the end of City of Angles with Nic Cage gets me! Very cheesy movie but the end is evil!

The Fountain... Amazing movie but it really divides audiences. If you buy into the story it really tugs on the heart strings.

Also as others have mentioned ... Shawshank, The Green Mile, Million Dollar Baby, Meet Joe Black
    How sad are you?
    Still we see now the life outside posting on forums you have

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"Terminator 2" with the thumb and everything :( no matter how many times i see it

Me too. Glad I'm not the only one. It's mad to think something that Arnold Schwarzenegger did could stir up emotion in me. Ditto for Dragonheart and Gladiator. Philadelphia though is one that really does it for me. Incredibly heartbreaking ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

amiable wrote: »
    How sad are you?
    Still we see now the life outside posting on forums you have
    If you cannot be civilised then dont bother posting here,thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 olaguopa

A Summer Story- glad i watched that one on my own!!

Marley and me- just about held them in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

and Eternal sunshine of the spotless Mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

The only thing that ever really came close was when I was about 8 or 9 years old and I was watching "Animal Farm" (the George Orwell one, not the other one :p). It was an animated movie, but the part where Boxer, the big Clydsdale gets injured working to rebuild the windmill and then is eventually sent to the knackers yard nearly had me going.

Whole thing is here, but the bit is from about 59mins in to about 1hr04

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Big Fish always gets me. Cinema Paradiso too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cinderella Man, but thats more the uplifting type of tears, love the scene where Crowe and Giamatti walk into Madison Square Garden to complete silence from the crowd until one guy yells "you can do it Jimmy!" and they all erupt in applause, if you've never seen it do, great movie, dont let the presence of Renee Zelwegger put you off :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭b.o.m.d.a.s.

La vita e bella - "Life is beautiful" by Roberto Benigni. :(:(
    abbiamo vinto "we won"

EDIT: watch in Italian with English subtitles, or else you won't cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

There are many movies that will make me cry and most of them have been mentioned already. Infact i'm such a woss i've been known to shed a tear or two at a particularly harrowing episode ofEastenders/Corrie/Neighbours.
    But one that made me cry with tears of laughter recently was ET.

They just don't make them like that anymore. I was watching it at xmas with my 5yr old girl and at the beginning Ethan says to his brother ' Shut up penis breath'

I mean how am i supposed to explain to my daughter what a penis breath is when she is looking at me all sweetness and light in her jimmie jams and asking me 'Daddy whats a penis breath'?

Well honey it's when you put a....... No no no it's just wrong.

God.. for me there's movies that make you well up and movies that make you full on cry.

Movies that made me well-up have been:
    Up -
    The opening 10 minutes and halfway through where Carl scans through the Adventure book.
    I saw it in New York and there were sniffles galore.
    Wall-E - So so so many moments
    The opening 45 minutes, particularly when Wall-E was looking after Eve and then the ending, when Eve was trying to fix Wall-E. It was perfect. No words, just blirps and beeps and LED lights.. so much emotion. God, I'm welling up now even thinking about it. When the words, "and that is all love's about" are heard.. I had shivers
    Ink - I was quite surprised by how much emotion I felt through this movie. Really unexpected.

Movies that made me full on cry have been:
    I Am Sam - God, I was a blubbering mess during this. Sean Penn was a wonderful actor in it.

I didn't cry during Marley and Me - I'm not sure why. If I'm honest, I laughed a bit during it. I guess it's because it just seemed so.. forced. And no, I'm not heartless - I had a dog that died when he was 14 that I still miss loads, but I just didn't find Marley & Me that sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Scene in Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon/Will breaks down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Superfly - about ½ an hour in and the screen breaks into different movie scenes at the same time with Curtis Mayfield singing on the soundtrack.

Advertisement