Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that make grown men cry...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

King Kong original - at the end - "it was beauty killed the beast".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

Majority of irish films:rolleyes:

I'm not exactly a man but... I'm extremely surprised no one has mentioned 'Up' :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I find it best not to have emotions.

If I HAD to have them, I would probably have used them at the end of Into the Wild. And if I was caught unawares, maybe Dead Man Walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Band of Brothers, when they find the first concentration camps was hard to watch.

Also 'The Road' was grim. Not going to give away the plot or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

.Into the Wild.

Because it was a true story and that ending...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Band of Brothers isn't a film, but I can excuse it's place on this list - I've watered up a bit every time I watch a few particular scenes.

Bambi and the Fox and the Hound - maybe as a kid I thought they were the saddest movies ever but as a 'grown man' I can't say they'd make me cry.

Marley and Me destroyed me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

quad_red wrote: »
    +1 for Marley and me.

A dire, dire, dire movie played with zero charism by Wilson and Aniston, with a non existent story and irritating set pieces.
    Marley and Me destroyed me

I haven't seen Marley and Me (although I've guessed what happens at the end), but love dogs and have dogs at home.

Should I best avoid this movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Col200sx wrote: »
    I haven't seen Marley and Me (although I've guessed what happens at the end), but love dogs and have dogs at home.

I'm kinda on the same line as you here...I can't stand seeing dogs hurt / dying in movies.

The end of Turner and Hooch was the first flick to make me well up...
    but there was a new puppy in the end so it was made better :)

So began my lifelong avoidance and fear of dogs gettin hurt in movies..

Also just remembered the part where whatshis name loses his horse in the quicksand in Never Ending Story...that was a tearjerker too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

The crying game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Col200sx wrote: »

Yes, you probably couldn't steel yourself enough even if you knew precisely what would happen

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Big Daddy

Mrs. Doubtfire

Toy Story 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Rocky I

The scene at the very end where Rocky and Adrienne are reunited after his fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

A film that i didnt think was really much good and then the last half hour changed my mind and made me shed a few was Seven Pounds.

Another one that shocked me was Elf with the happy scene at the end - just couldn't hold back (i'm still tough i am)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Final Approach

Gran Torino

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Definitely +1 on Shawshank:
    Brooks' retirement and "Brooks was here".
    Philadelphia
    The Terminal for some strange reason
    And probably the biggest tearjerker I found was The World's Fastest Indian.
    I honestly thought his dream was over, but then there was so much tears of joy when he got to race at the end.
    For some reason, nobody has ever seen the last one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭8mv

ET for sure and Atonement (The book makes me tear up as well) and It's A Wonderful Life + the most recent series ending of Dr. Who - when Amy makes her wedding speech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭killerking

It's gotta be The Champ (1979) starring Jon Voight (Angelina Jolie's Daddy) as a hapless washed-up pug who makes one last shot at the title in order to win back the woman he loves and the kid he never sees and Ricky Schroeder as his adoring son turned soft by his smothering mother who discovers the hard way what true courage and manhood is....

A close second is Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (1989).

WARNING SPOILER: A Nazi villain shoots Indy's father Henry Senior point blank in the stomach in order to force Indy to brave a series of booby traps and retrieve the Holy Grail (the cup used by Jesus at the Last Supper) which he can use to restore his father to health.
    There is a magnificently emotional scene where Indy finds his way blocked by a bottomless chasm.
    He must rediscover his faith in order to summon the courage to take a leap of faith....

I also get tears in my eyes when I watch this astonishing scene from the end of The Mission (1986).

SPOILER WARNING: Mendoza, a slave trader, stricken with remorse after murdering his beloved younger brother in a duel over a beautiful woman has become a novice Jesuit priest who ministers to the Indian natives he once oppressed and falls under the influence of the saintly Jesuit Father Gabriel who has established a mission deep in the Amazon jungle.
    When their Amazonian mission is betrayed by self-serving secular politicians who seek to exploit the natives rather than lead them to civilisation and enlightenment, both men decide to resist knowing their cause is futile.
    Mendoza resorts to the sword while Gabriel chooses pacificism.
    Both men bound by a profound mutual respect, brotherly love and fellowship, die heroic deaths in defense of liberty, freedom and love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭killerking

Harrison Ford is Dick Deckard, a Bladerunner who is sent on a mission to 'retire' (kill) a group of replicants - genetically engineered humanoids - who have returned to Earth after a rebellion on an off-world colony in the early 21st century.
    Roy Battie, the last survivor, fights to the death with Deckard before there is a profoundly moving showdown on the roof of an acid rain swept crumbling skyscraper above a nightmarish Los Angelos.
    Battie reflects on the wonders he has seen in deep space and considers oblivion and death.

In an earlier scene Deckard falls in love with a female replicant named Rachel.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

killerking wrote: »
    A close second is Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (1989).

WARNING SPOILER: A Nazi villain shoots Indy's father Henry Senior point blank in the stomach in order to force Indy to brave a series of booby traps and retrieve the Holy Grail (the cup used by Jesus at the Last Supper) which he can use to restore his father to health.
    There is a magnificently emotional scene where Indy finds his way blocked by a bottomless chasm.
    He must rediscover his faith in order to summon the courage to take a leap of faith....

I also get tears in my eyes when I watch this astonishing scene from the end of The Mission (1986).

SPOILER WARNING: Mendoza, a slave trader, stricken with remorse after murdering his beloved younger brother in a duel over a beautiful woman has become a novice Jesuit priest who ministers to the Indian natives he once oppressed and falls under the influence of the saintly Jesuit Father Gabriel who has established a mission deep in the Amazon jungle.
    When their Amazonian mission is betrayed by self-serving secular politicians who seek to exploit the natives rather than lead them to civilisation and enlightenment, both men decide to resist knowing their cause is futile.
    Mendoza resorts to the sword while Gabriel chooses pacificism.
    Both men bound by a profound mutual respect, brotherly love and fellowship, die heroic deaths in defense of liberty, freedom and love.
    Yeah, put spoiler alerts on these two but NOT on the one that I actually want to see or haven't seen. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Braveheart
    Million Dollar Baby
    but my personal biggest tear bringer
    Dead poets society

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm not exactly a man but... I'm extremely surprised no one has mentioned 'Up' :eek:
    The start of Up is the saddest thing I've seen in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Dub.

maddragon wrote: »
    Million Dollar Baby
    Yes.

Another one in that vein is Cinderella Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

Marley and me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Obviously the movies you see recently spring to mind. Don't think I've ever bleen blubbering at the end of a movie, but 'Into The Wild' almost caught me out big time. +1 also to 'Braveheart'. 'Lord of The Rings' because of all we went through :(

Slumdog Millionaire because it's on now :). Thought 'Life is Beautiful' would've been mentioned by now. +1 also to 'Forrest Gump'. And although I've never seen the movie version, 'The Kite Runner' absolutely blew me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

armageddon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

the film version of "The Punisher", released about 7 or 8 years ago nearly brought a tear to my eye, because it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO bloody terrible.
    I nearly cried upon the realisation that I will never have that time back again.

Think it was "The Land Before Time" where one of them dies (the mother perhaps? I can't really remember) knocked a wiggle out of the tear machine in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just watched Marley and Me there, it destroyed me! First time I properly cried for a movie... When
    the little girl said to Marley "you can have my teddy as long as you dont chew off the other ear"
    I laughed so hard.. and then cried some more!
    Triffic movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I dont think there is a movie that would make me cry, there is one scene in the Exorcist that sppoks me a bit, where Regan pops down the stairs and terlls a guy that he will die.

http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=http%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DJvhl4At6AX8

Teenage girls are scary anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

My Sister's Keeper. Just had a daughter so it was hard to comprehend.

Oh and spiceworld makes be cry quite a bit too LOL.

Advertisement