Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is there major differences between the PC and console versions?
    Skyrim Mods. That's the difference. I've installed a few and now the game looks better, sounds better, and has a better UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Aside from mods of course, there is a plug in exclusive to the PC (Fall of the Space Core). And the loading times are usually shorter on PC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

well...

O5VpX.jpg

:pac:

Nah, it's just the endless mods there will be, the faster loading times etc.
    I had mods installed from day 1 that made the game look way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

Aside from mods of course, there is a plug in exclusive to the PC (Fall of the Space Core). And the loading times are usually shorter on PC.
    Yeah but you cannot play on a 42" LG led tv, while lying on the bed holding an xbox controller!

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Yeah but you cannot play on a 42" LG led tv, while lying on the bed holding an xbox controller!

I have a PC and am playing it on a 52" LED TV with the graphics 2k mod and realistic sounds,riding along on my armored Sabre tooth tiger with my 15 followers all on horseback to my house were i am going to have sex with a naked Lydia . Using my xbox control pad.

Im so dumped if my girlfriend reads this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

TV may not be LG but other than that, yes they can.

I have a PC and am playing it on a 52" LED TV with the graphics 2k mod and realistic sounds,riding along on my armored Sabre tooth tiger with my 15 followers all on horseback to my house were i am going to have sex with a naked Lydia . Using my xbox control pad.

Im so dumped if my girlfriend reads this.
    Quality!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Why on earth would you play this with an XBox controller? Are you some sort of pervert that gets off on making games incredibly frustrating for yourself by using the worst possible control method? :pac::p:D

First person games should always be played on a mouse and keyboard. That's the law. Or at least it will be when I become Emperor of Earth...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I play on my 42'' plasma Philips TV with 5.1 surround sound with a wireless mouse and keyboard on my comfy couch with my legs up. I have Xbox controllers but that's not how you play an FPS :pac:

Throw in a few high-res packs and sound mods and it sounds and looks glorious in 1080p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

People are playing this as an FPS? I stuck it up until the bindings are taken off you and it's been 3rd person ever since.

But then I hate FPS's as a rule so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Sometimes Skyrim looks like a PS1 game on my Xbox. Its weird running through a forest and see one tree with its textures not loaded properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

calex71 wrote: »
    playing this again on and off all week again for the Dawnguard DLC.

I already gave my opinion on the DLC, I loved this game so much when it came out and put over 100 hours into it but really after a 6 month break and playing other games in the genre Skyrim is just unbearable for me now.

I really don't know how I was able to over look the horrific inventory system and load times on the console version the first time around :confused:

I'm at a stage now where I need to fast travel quite a bit for various things, and it's excruciating when you travel wait for it to load , immediately enter a door , wait some more , conversation, exit door , wait for it to load again , fast travel , load ............................... sorry just needed to vent :o

THANK you.

The load times for the game are the reason I haven't played it in a month. I sit down to the console and think "Do I really want to go through the multiple loading screens again".

I actually have it on PC too but can't do couch + PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Turn off the various autosaves and just save it yourself periodically. It cuts down on load times massively!

Nice one, I'll try that thanks.

Ok here's my stats for load times before/after deleting saved games.

I had 150 saved games, deleted it down to just 4.

Loading a save (into Riverwood) from the menu after starting the game:
    Before deleting the saved games: 59 seconds
    After deleting the saved games: 54 seconds

Fast travel to Riften stables:
    Before deleting the saved games: 40 seconds
    After deleting the saved games: 34 seconds

Enter Riften:
    Before deleting the saved games: 27 seconds
    After deleting the saved games: 22 seconds

So about a 5 second improvement across the board. Not great tbh.

Loaded up Oblivion to compare:

Loading a save from the main menu: 19 seconds
    Fast travel to anywhere: 15 seconds

So I thought Oblivion had long load times when I first played it, but they're nothing compared to Skyrim!

Pity, the loading really ruins Skyrim for me and limits how long more I plan to play it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

The music in this game is just epic, i could listen to it all day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

quarryman wrote: »

Enter Riften:

So I thought Oblivion had long load times when I first played it, but they're nothing compared to Skyrim!

Pity, the loading really ruins Skyrim for me and limits how long more I plan to play it for.

What are you playing on? I'm playing on 360 and fast travelling takes <10seconds IIRC, even less for entering/exiting houses etc.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    What are you playing on? I'm playing on 360 and fast travelling takes <10seconds IIRC, even less for entering/exiting houses etc.

Xbox 360.

Fast travel is less than 10 seconds for you, are you sure about that?

Can you time it exactly? Time how long it takes to fast travel to Riften stables to compare to my results.

Xbox 360.

Fast travel is less than 10 seconds for you, are you sure about that?

Can you time it exactly? Time how long it takes to fast travel to Riften stables to compare to my results.

Haven't gone to Riften yet. Still messing around in Whiterun 40+hours in with the Companions. Maybe mine are faster because I haven't progressed as far as you?

Enter Riften:

These load times are crazy, load times are slow, but more like 10 seconds as opposed 40 seconds.

Are you using on external hard drive ?

• Advertisement

These load times are crazy, load times are slow, but more like 10 seconds as opposed 40 seconds.

Are you using on external hard drive ?

As above, i'm on the Xbox 360, no external hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mines the same. Takes forever to load from the menu, close to a minute, and definitely much longer than 10 to fast travel within the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Ah, well I'm on PS3 and just stopping the autosaves halved my load times, be it fast travelling or entering/exiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

This may seem very obvious but it came to mind,do you have it installed to your harddrive on the xbox? Not sure if same applies to ps3

As above, i'm on the Xbox 360, no external hard drive.
    Mines the same. Takes forever to load from the menu, close to a minute, and definitely much longer than 10 to fast travel within the game.
    DeSelby83 wrote: »
    This may seem very obvious but it came to mind,do you have it installed to your harddrive on the xbox? Not sure if same applies to ps3

I do have mine installed, but even before that, the load times were no where near as bad as quarryman's.

I don't think it should, but would it make a difference that I'm using the Slim 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

You see the Skyrim load times feel shorter for me because all I do is spin the model around and it keeps me occupied lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Any news on the PC version yet? :(

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I do have mine installed, but even before that, the load times were no where near as bad as quarryman's.

I don't think it should, but would it make a difference that I'm using the Slim 360?

I'm using a slim Xbox 360 too and the game is installed to the HDD.

I'm using a slim Xbox 360 too and the game is installed to the HDD.

Turns out they're a bit longer than I originally thought.

Loading from the main menu: 23 seconds
    Exiting a house or town (i.e. loading a large area): 22 seconds
    Entering a house (i.e. loading a small area): Anywhere from 5-15seconds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

I'm after getting hooked on playing this again.

Advertisement