Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

it depends, if you have high enough smithing you can enchance your favourite weapons and armour but like saiint says it levels youi up so fast getting there that it breaks the game
    I like a little bit of a challenge - but still at Normal mode.
    The game bugged out on me the other day whereby any time I cast a spell my magic bar filled up immediately, meaning I could just keep casting. I had to roll back to an older save because I didn't want things too easy.

Have you tried any of the mods like SkyRe that are designed to make the game more difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Glitch in Dawnguard: Skyrim took and achievement called Awakening off me for some reason and deducted the gamerscore. i did that quest ages ago and got the achievement. Anyone got a fix?

Yeah, you just don't give a fúck about achievements and you will be fine :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ixoy wrote: »

Have you tried any of the mods like SkyRe that are designed to make the game more difficult?

im going to try skyre in the future, but I figured I'd leave that until next year when it's more fleshed out. at the moment i'm just going for a few cosmetic mods, might throw midas magic or a few monster mods in there too. I didnt finish skyrim my first playthrough, there's still areas of the map I only visited once or twice so I wanted my second playthrough to be as vanilla as possible and leave all the game changing stuff until I come back to it in the future.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have a confession.

Everytime I start up Skyrim, I leave it on the Start screen for two minutes *just* to hear that fcuking beautiful theme :) Then I play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Grimebox wrote: »

Good input!
    Glitch in Dawnguard: Skyrim took and achievement called Awakening off me for some reason and deducted the gamerscore. i did that quest ages ago and got the achievement. Anyone got a fix?

This happens every so often with DLC achievements if you unlock them before the Xbox website updates. Did you play Dawnguard the day it came out?

Do you have a save from before you unlocked the achievement? If so, retrieve your gamertag using "Download Profile" option, which you can see by pressing the guide button when you aren't signed in. You'll see that the achievement will be locked again. Finish the Awakening quest again and it'll unlock properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Thing is, I'm two achievements away from a 100% Skyrim with Dawnguard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Hi,

Maybe a stupid question but how do I advance up armours, for example from Leather to Glass, without spending perks in Smithing? Isn't there a limited number of Perks I can spend or are they unlimited?

The same for Enchanting, I know in Oblivion that you could simply pay an NPC to enchant armour or weapons, but in Skyrim there doesn't seem to be anyone like that?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

ixoy wrote: »

I'm currently on my second playthrough so I've added a few mods to make the game more difficult. Three mods I really like toegether are resiliant dragons: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=11652 , Dragons Diversified: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1105325 and Moar Dragons: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=7799 . With these mods installed the dragons become a LOT harder, can attack at any time and can appear in pairs. Makes the game feel a lot more epic.
    Vargulf wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question but how do I advance up armours, for example from Leather to Glass, without spending perks in Smithing? Isn't there a limited number of Perks I can spend or are they unlimited?.

You need to unlock the Glass smithing perk to smith Glass armour. Unfortunately there isn't an unlimited number of perks you can spend as you max out at level 81 so it's not possible to unlock every perk in the game without mods/cheats. There is a mod here that allows you to unlock perks with Dragon Souls: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=13544 . While some people might consider that cheating the higher level perks require a lot of dragon souls to unlock so you do have to put in a good bit of work to use it effectively.

Vargulf wrote: »
    Hi,

Maybe a stupid question but how do I advance up armours, for example from Leather to Glass, without spending perks in Smithing? Isn't there a limited number of Perks I can spend or are they unlimited?

The same for Enchanting, I know in Oblivion that you could simply pay an NPC to enchant armour or weapons, but in Skyrim there doesn't seem to be anyone like that?

Thanks.

Shop vendors are stocked with level-dependent equipment. So, for example, you won't be able to buy Daedric or Ebony until you reach the higher levels. Glass armour (and others varieties too) will be stocked in vendors when you are in the mid level range (20-40?). Smithing is only really useful if you want to get good armours earlier (I did so with Dwarven armour).

Also, at these levels, Glass (and other) armour will be found in random loot, but particularly in "boss chests" i.e large chests that are placed at the end of dungeons, caves and barrows. You can also find high level armours equipped on certain enemies. I am level 61 and I come across Thieves with Glass armour all the time. I also come across random Mercenaries on the roads who are fully decked out in Ebony armour! I have also found certain level-dependent equipment on enemies such as dragons.

As for enchanting, you can find enchanted weapons stocked in vendors (level dependent again) or present as loot. If you want something more specific and less random I'm afraid you have to invest in the enchanting skill. But remember, a good smith can improve weapons so that they do very large amounts of damage. So its really a question of enchanting or smithing. Of course, you don't have to go for either but it helps if you are proficient in at least one. Remember also that a good alchemist can do serious damage with poisons. Really you need to find your calling!

Perks are limited as the actual level cap is 81. So 81 perks.
    I have a confession.

Everytime I start up Skyrim, I leave it on the Start screen for two minutes *just* to hear that fcuking beautiful theme Then I play!

For some reason I've started doing that recently too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,601 ✭✭✭✭klose

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have a confession.

Everytime I start up Skyrim, I leave it on the Start screen for two minutes *just* to hear that fcuking beautiful theme :) Then I play!

Same, ive an xrocker chair and sometimes will just pause the game, crank up the volume and listen for a while, beautiful!

• Advertisement

Yeah the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic. I used to listen to it to death when I was studying. My two favs

Mine are:

And of course:

The battle ones are the only ones I don't like... I have feeling you and me are going to get on just great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

The battle ones are the only ones I don't like... I have feeling you and me are going to get on just great!

what? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard for a game.

I remember when I first started playing. I had joined up with the Imperial Legion I went on a quest to an underground crypt with a group of soldiers. The draugr started awakening from their coffins and we all charged them head on in what turned out to be an epic fight. This music started playing and I melted with awesome.

So many other similar moments :) I've just got back in skyrim with dawnguard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

playing this again on and off all week again for the Dawnguard DLC.

I already gave my opinion on the DLC, I loved this game so much when it came out and put over 100 hours into it but really after a 6 month break and playing other games in the genre Skyrim is just unbearable for me now.

I really don't know how I was able to over look the horrific inventory system and load times on the console version the first time around :confused:

I'm at a stage now where I need to fast travel quite a bit for various things, and it's excruciating when you travel wait for it to load , immediately enter a door , wait some more , conversation, exit door , wait for it to load again , fast travel , load ............................... sorry just needed to vent :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I'm on PS3 and the load times seem to be way longer than they used to be. It crashes a lot on me now too while it was fine after the first few patches.

I just went past level 50 and I'm getting killed a lot more now, all the enemies seem a lot stronger and have more powerful spells ect. I only died a handful of times all the way from level 0-50.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

calex71 wrote: »
    playing this again on and off all week again for the Dawnguard DLC.

I already gave my opinion on the DLC, I loved this game so much when it came out and put over 100 hours into it but really after a 6 month break and playing other games in the genre Skyrim is just unbearable for me now.

I really don't know how I was able to over look the horrific inventory system and load times on the console version the first time around :confused:

I'm at a stage now where I need to fast travel quite a bit for various things, and it's excruciating when you travel wait for it to load , immediately enter a door , wait some more , conversation, exit door , wait for it to load again , fast travel , load ............................... sorry just needed to vent :o

Load times seem fairly reasonable to me considering the size of the game. I'm playing on 360 and don't really notice them tbh.

On another note, this game is bringing out the hoarder in me. I can never bear to leave anything behind. I have a chest full of stuff in Faendal's house, my inventory is nearly full, and my companion is carrying all she can. :P

Just got the ability to buy a house in Whiterun, so think I'll go and farm for gold somewhere and buy it before continuing with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

EGriff wrote: »
    I'm on PS3 and the load times seem to be way longer than they used to be. It crashes a lot on me now too while it was fine after the first few patches.

I just went past level 50 and I'm getting killed a lot more now, all the enemies seem a lot stronger and have more powerful spells ect. I only died a handful of times all the way from level 0-50.

Yeah, when I was playing skyrim on my friends 360 I noticed that the loading times were a bit excessive.

I'm not too familiar on how the PS3 system works (even though I own one :o) however you should try the standard troubleshooting steps (clearing system cache, deleting old skyrim saves, reinstalling skyrim, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

calex71 wrote: »

I found the loading times immensely frustrating too. I deleted a few saves and that seems to have shortened them considerably.

Skyrim is at its weakest when you're just fast travelling around too, I was getting quite bored doing that. It's much more fun when one goes on adventures!

• Advertisement

yeah the game seems kinda inferior to the world itself, it's a bit like red dead in that you'd have more enjoyment just hopping on a horse and going to see what you can see

My game is getting very laggy and glitchy. I've noticed this in Bethesda games in general that the longer you play, the more unstable the save file seems to be. Skyrim just seems to crash randomly more often than at the beginning. Sometimes I have to reload a save (not too often) because the frame rate tanks for no reason. Added to this of course are the prevalence of many bugs that seem to multiply as the game progresses. I'm 185 hours in with one save and have played 40 hours since I got Dawnguard after not playing it for months (it just rekindled my love for the game) but I'm thinking of starting a new save.

Also, try not to get the "Bats" perk for the Vampire lord as it makes combat laggy.

Am I the only one that is still wowed by the huge vistas in this game after all this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Am I the only one that is still wowed by the huge vistas in this game after all this time?

I have it on my laptop and have only recently got back into it and did question how did I manage to forget how much I enjoy playing it. And I often just stop and think wow,what an amazingly beautifully crafted world

****ing enbseries shader mods are breaking my heart

either crashes skyrim instantly on load or shadows are so ****ed up it looks ridiculous

4 times today I've deleted skyrim altogether to start again and I just cant get it right. had it working fine a couple of days ago but decided to wait unti i got my new gfx to try it afresh.. what a mistake that was

--edit
    spent the last few days modding skyrim, tweaking it.. getting the performance right and balanced with the enhanced looks

1 hour playing it I'm bored already. guess it isn't time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone know any good HD texture mods for this? The game is running on ultra with loads of fps so I installed the most popular graphics mod from the nexus website but it hasn't made a huge difference. The blood looks a bit better but thats all Ive noticed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So, is there any ETA on the release of Dawnguard for the PC yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

at least two weeks i'd say.

man i'd hate to play this on colsole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I had heard rumours that it may be pushed back to September to allow for bug fixing and the likes. I hope that is not the case. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Is there major differences between the PC and console versions?

Advertisement