Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Got my first ass-handing.

Went to Orphan's Rock to kill the Hagraven... it did not go as planned.

Witches be crazy. :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Just completed this last night - it was my oldest mission and I was only now at a level that didn't involve me being butchered. Very satisfying to see the hargraven die. The rest of the quest is really easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Witches be crazy.

This was one of the first quests proper i undertook when i first reached Whiterun not for low level players i soon realised prob round level 11 or something couldnt get near the wagon blasting me with long range fire spells eventually got close and spent 5 mins hacking and fus'ing her got the job done :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ixoy wrote: »
    Just completed this last night - it was my oldest mission and I was only now at a level that didn't involve me being butchered. Very satisfying to see the hargraven die. The rest of the quest is really easy.
    Ronanc1 wrote: »
    This was one of the first quests proper i undertook when i first reached Whiterun not for low level players i soon realised prob round level 11 or something couldnt get near the wagon blasting me with long range fire spells eventually got close and spent 5 mins hacking and fus'ing her got the job done :D

So going there at Lvl. 1 was a mistake then? :pac:

I attempted it a good number of times, but only ever managed to get close enough to actually swing a sword once. :\

Think I'll leave it for a while, go fight some bandits or something. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

went mad last night and downloaded about 30 skyrim mmods

gona be a pain in the arse installing them.. i hope that BOSS order fixer works

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The sign of a great game. You spend 3 hours doing nothing other than sorting all your belongings into different storage containers according to type (armour, weapons, books, potions, ingredients, food, blacksmithing gear, miscellaneous) and building a brand new set of armour from scratch. Double enchantments ftw.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The sign of a great game. You spend 3 hours doing nothing other than sorting all your belongings into different storage containers according to type (armour, weapons, books, potions, ingredients, food, blacksmithing gear, miscellaneous) and building a brand new set of armour from scratch. Double enchantments ftw.

one of my favourite memories from skyrim was going through every chest in my house, sorting them out into one chest for swords/armour one for potions one for ingredients etc etc etc

then when I had all that done, going through each chest and seeing what I could keep and what I could sell

maybe I'm a ****ed up person, but the agony of deciding whether to keep or sell an exquisitive elven sword you have stored.. or when you're in a dungeon already loaded up to the max and you find a piece of armour that's maybe a tiny tiny tiny bit better than what you have now.. what do you do
    do you take it?
    do you drop something else?
    do you replace the piece of armour you currently wearing?

this and Stalker.. so many happy hours in my inventory screen just thinking about which weapon is best overall and what I can afford to drop to 'afford' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've had the game since Christmas and I'm seriously struggling through it...

Just after playing it again and my biggest issue is with the combat. I suppose when you go from a game like Dark Souls you'll always have an issue with the combat because it excellent in it.

I'm only level 16 I think and my one handed skill is about 68 yet I don't notice any difference at all from when I started the game. Lydia is practically doing everything while I think I'd struggle with a 1 on 1 fight with any randomer. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Anyway I'm in Windhelm now and going talking to Aventus or someone like that. Any interesting quests in here?

installed about 20 odd mods, and they're all showing up as installed in the rightmost section of nexus mod manager.. but in the plugins section and when I check with Boss it says I only have 13 plugins installed

is this because some of the mods work in different ways than others? or have I just installed some of them wrong... even though all I did was double click tem all in nexus mod manager and click yes.. sometimes no

-edit

ah.. some of them I have to extract to the proper folders in data..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm only level 16 I think and my one handed skill is about 68 yet I don't notice any difference at all from when I started the game. Lydia is practically doing everything while I think I'd struggle with a 1 on 1 fight with any randomer. It just doesn't seem right to me.

What weapons are you using? I suppose you may not notice any difference if the weapon damage is still poor though I may be wrong.
    installed about 20 odd mods, and they're all showing up as installed in the rightmost section of nexus mod manager.. but in the plugins section and when I check with Boss it says I only have 13 plugins installed

is this because some of the mods work in different ways than others? or have I just installed some of them wrong... even though all I did was double click tem all in nexus mod manager and click yes.. sometimes no

-edit

Thought it may have been the way the game loads the mods as my understanding was if they are not in a particular order then they won't work.

Also some mods may not be compatiable with each other - that's where steams workshop has an advantage over nexus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

-edit

Plugins are the ones with the esp file extension. These will also show up in the Skyrim launcher. Not all mods are plugins though depending on what they do. Some just add or replace regular files. A Quality World Map or some of the body replacers for example.

yeah I ran into a bit of trouble with the skyrim enchanced shaders FX so I deleted everything and am starting again

this time i'll read the readmes :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

does the dlc have many new areas/make the makes the map bigger?

What weapons are you using? I suppose you may not notice any difference if the weapon damage is still poor though I may be wrong.

Using an elvish sword with 23 damage I think. I can't find any one handed weapons with better damage then that.

An example now is that I fought Knevel in Volungard(?) last night. I'm level 17. He could kill me with 3 swipes while I just kept shouting at him, stabing him, leg it and repeat. Took ages.

And I took on a randomer in a fistfight in Riften. I had to take 3 or 4 potions while fighting him. I just seem to be unbelievably weak in the game.

are you playing on master difficulty or something?

i was the same with that volungard guy if I remember right.. although I just kept running around a chair pelting him with spells

are you playing on master difficulty or something?

i was the same with that volungard guy if I remember right.. although I just kept running around a chair pelting him with spells
    Ya, pretty sure I am. I like to have a challenge in a game but this just seems unfair.

i think master difficulty is pretty ****ing hard until you start reaching the god levels, maybe drop down to adept (or whatever is before master) until you're around level 30-40 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

tok9 wrote: »

Using an elvish sword with 23 damage I think. I can't find any one handed weapons with better damage then that.

An example now is that I fought Knevel in Volungard(?) last night. I'm level 17. He could kill me with 3 swipes while I just kept shouting at him, stabing him, leg it and repeat. Took ages.

And I took on a randomer in a fistfight in Riften. I had to take 3 or 4 potions while fighting him. I just seem to be unbelievably weak in the game.

I'm on level 16 too. I recently picked up a sword called dawnbreaker, have a look at getting that. It carries a fire enchantment that makes it beat any one handed weapons I've come across so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There is an enchanted glass sword called Chillrend that is better, I can't remember where I got it though...

i think master difficulty is pretty ****ing hard until you start reaching the god levels, maybe drop down to adept (or whatever is before master) until you're around level 30-40 :)

I wouldn't say it's hard, it's just frustrating. All you have to do is run around. I'll stick with the difficulty just because I'd hate to drop down a level.

I don't know, I think I'm just finding the game ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

23 damage? LOL - go to the forge and start making your weapons, armour and jewellery. Then go to the Enchantment table and start casting spells on them. You rarely find weapons better than those you can make yourself and you can always improve anything you find after your smithing skills are high enough... Buy all of a merchant's ingots and leathers and what have you, craft the stuff, level up and sell it all back to them thus regaining your money. It's worth spending an evening of game play just doing this - travelling from town to town because the merchants will quickly run out of money.

i dunno, I did that.. spent hours levelling up my smithing and enchanting and what have you.. it levelled me up too fast, the game stopped being fun very quickly as I was just about unkillable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Crafting in this game is boring and broken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Grimebox wrote: »
    Crafting in this game is boring and broken
    Yep, if you go down this path you are sorta ruining the fun for yourself. I just ignored smithing entirely and enchanting after about 20 hours of the game and I'm certain it improved the Skyrim experience for me.

I personally much prefer the 'casual' approach with which you can play some RPGs - allowing you to get a whole lot out of the game without having to play perfectly or power-game the hell out of it - to that of RPGs requiring almost obsessive levels of effort put in. I haven't played Dark Souls yet and am eager for it to come out for the PC, but am slightly worried about trying my arm at the reported difficultly level of the game - which some people obviously prefer to games like Skyrim or Fallout 3 / NV, completely understandable, different strokes for different folks and all :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

ionapaul wrote: »
    Yep, if you go down this path you are sorta ruining the fun for yourself. I just ignored smithing entirely and enchanting after about 20 hours of the game and I'm certain it improved the Skyrim experience for me.

I personally much prefer the 'casual' approach with which you can play some RPGs - allowing you to get a whole lot out of the game without having to play perfectly or power-game the hell out of it - to that of RPGs requiring almost obsessive levels of effort put in. I haven't played Dark Souls yet and am eager for it to come out for the PC, but am slightly worried about trying my arm at the reported difficultly level of the game - which some people obviously prefer to games like Skyrim or Fallout 3 / NV, completely understandable, different strokes for different folks and all :)

dark souls is actually somewhat like skyrim
    dark souls is very hard, but as you gain levels you notice it becomes easyier

look up on youtube the person who completed dark souls in less then 2 hours, the record for completeing the game
    he makes it look mad easy, he also started out as a new character , he just knew all the shortcuts, and how to easily beat every boss
    he dies a few times, but thats just so he can get back to the bombfire quicker to go to the next area
    amazing player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

does the dlc have many new areas/make the makes the map bigger?

It adds a few new areas. Some existing locations are changed (Arcwind point) and others are added (a skooma drug den which has a nice quest attached).

By the way, don't go to Arcwind point at high levels!

When I got there I got attacked by a Revered Dragon. Then I ran......into a Dragon Priest. Then I ran up a hill.....into a Draugr Death Overlord with an ebony weapon. So I ran away....up some stairs and immediately was attacked by two Draugr Deathlords with ebony bows who took 33% of my health off each hit.

I Fus Ro Dah'd one off this huge cliff beside us, when I turned around...guess what? I got Fus Ro Dah'd off the cliff and slid for about 2 minutes before hitting a rock and dying -_- lol

Glitch in Dawnguard: Skyrim took and achievement called Awakening off me for some reason and deducted the gamerscore. i did that quest ages ago and got the achievement. Anyone got a fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

By the way, don't go to Arcwind point at high levels!

When I got there I got attacked by a Revered Dragon. Then I ran......into a Dragon Priest. Then I ran up a hill.....into a Draugr Death Overlord with an ebony weapon. So I ran away....up some stairs and immediately was attacked by two Draugr Deathlords with ebony bows who took 33% of my health off each hit.

I Fus Ro Dah'd one off this huge cliff beside us, when I turned around...guess what? I got Fus Ro Dah'd off the cliff and slid for about 2 minutes before hitting a rock and dying -_- lol

Priceless :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So smithing is worth it? I've completely ignored it because it looked to me like you'd spend ages just to make a sword that you could take from the corpse of a bandit. Instead I've got a few enchanted weapons I've found in different dungeons and swap them around, replenishing them with soul gems.
    Can I make fairly good weapons with relative ease?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

ixoy wrote: »
    So smithing is worth it? I've completely ignored it because it looked to me like you'd spend ages just to make a sword that you could take from the corpse of a bandit. Instead I've got a few enchanted weapons I've found in different dungeons and swap them around, replenishing them with soul gems.
    Can I make fairly good weapons with relative ease?

if your playing the game for pure fun just roaming around being a badass killing people not caring about the consquences
    well then ya smithing is worth it
    its fast lvling up
    and gets you the best weopens faster and the best armour in the game without moving from the the first village
    their was a guide on it cant remember where i found it
    il post the link later
    but i think its a game ruiner
    its a big exploit

• Advertisement

it depends, if you have high enough smithing you can enchance your favourite weapons and armour but like saiint says it levels youi up so fast getting there that it breaks the game

after 150 hours or so I was an unkillable walking god, only things i'd worry about were some of the higher level falmer and maybe there'd be a particular dragon here or there that wouldn't die to 3 hits of my sword.

Advertisement