Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Holy crap the Steed Stone is amazing +100 carry limit and your armor dosent encumber you Im a full heavy armor guy so this is really handy im running around like im wearing nothing and I get to save a perk.

Its directly north of the statue of Meridia near solitude.
    I've been using it since about 20 hours in. I'm relying on it so much now. Despite ploughing a load into stamina I still struggle with constantly being overencumbered. I keep coming across a load of stones with some pretty nice perks and stat boosts that I actually bring myself to get since it would mean that I would be about 98 lbs(??) over my limit if I were to get rid of the steed stone.

What can I say. I'm a hoarder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Holy crap the Steed Stone is amazing +100 carry limit and your armor dosent encumber you Im a full heavy armor guy so this is really handy im running around like im wearing nothing and I get to save a perk.

Call me a cheater but I just increased my carryweight to 100,000 via the console. I did the same in the fallout games after a while, but its needed even more in this. When dungeon trawling I have to fast travel home every once in a while and dump all my stuff in my chest. After about 25 trips or so (from multiple dungeons, I amn't taking everything) I eventually get around to selling/enchanting/smithing it all. Why the hell was I wasting my time with those trips back and forth? Life's too short for this game's retarded inventory management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Grimebox wrote: »
    Call me a cheater but I just increased my carryweight to 100,000 via the console. I did the same in the fallout games after a while, but its needed even more in this. When dungeon trawling I have to fast travel home every once in a while and dump all my stuff in my chest. After about 25 trips or so (from multiple dungeons, I amn't taking everything) I eventually get around to selling/enchanting/smithing it all. Why the hell was I wasting my time with those trips back and forth? Life's too short for this game's retarded inventory management.

If you sell everything at the same time then you just gotta keep fast traveling around the place to different merchants anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

Only picking up interesting things these days (or things worth > 1000g). Keeps my encumberance right down to about 120-150. Though think a good part of that is a tonne of potions I recently made that Im still slowly selling.

hypermuse wrote: »
    If you sell everything at the same time then you just gotta keep fast traveling around the place to different merchants anyway..

I actually havent bothered to sell everything yet. Just did a bit of smithing and enchanting so far. It still requires less trips. I don't expect people to agree with me. I just think the weight cap is a pain in the *rse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I actually havent bothered to sell everything yet. Just did a bit of smithing and enchanting so far. It still requires less trips. I don't expect people to agree with me. I just think the weight cap is a pain in the *rse
    So is smithing...time wasting that is...just use the console commands to give yourself 100 in smithing and enchanting...why bother wasting time...while you're at it...leveling...what a rediculous time sink...i want all the perks now... :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Everyone keeps saying 15x crit for a backstab. Am i the only one getting 30x with my daggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

Kiith wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying 15x crit for a backstab. Am i the only one getting 30x with my daggers?

theres an enchantment on your gloves (brotherhood gloves?) giving 2x backstab damage :) so 15x2 for OP 30x stabbins

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Kiith wrote: »

Shrouded armor? The gloves double your critical damage AFAIK.

EDIT Bah tarried for far too long between reply and post, damn you Wossack :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dztldi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

You think we can get a petition going for them to increase the carryweight on the consoles in an upcoming patch? PLEASE!

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    So is smithing...time wasting that is...just use the console commands to give yourself 100 in smithing and enchanting...why bother wasting time...while you're at it...leveling...what a rediculous time sink...i want all the perks now... :P

This is what everyone says to me. In my mind you are not comparing the same two things. I enjoy smithing. I do not enjoy having to travel back just to dump stuff, having to drop things that I want to carry with me nor having to trade stuff with my follower just to free up supply. Inventory management is terrible in every game I have ever played (Deus Ex also comes to mind). Tons of RPG games don't have carry limits and no one ever complained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I like item limiting, I don't see the problem. I feel it forces you to actually think about what kind of player you want to be, how you're going to play it & what exactly you will carry on your adventures. The idea that my character - a sneaky archer - needs to be able to carry 57 varieties of swords, maces & heavy armour just breaks the illusion of role-playing tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

This is what everyone says to me. In my mind you are not comparing the same two things. I enjoy smithing. I do not enjoy having to travel back just to dump stuff, having to drop things that I want to carry with me nor having to trade stuff with my follower just to free up supply. Inventory management is terrible in every game I have ever played (Deus Ex also comes to mind). Tons of RPG games don't have carry limits and no one ever complained.

That RP stands for "Role Playing". I like having a carry restriction because it forces me to make choices on what I want to take with me from chests etc. just as if I really was playing the role of an adventurer who really would have a carry limit. Fire away with well what about x and y not being realistic. I simply draw the line here. I enjoy tough decisions in a game. It adds hugely to the experience for me.

You don't like it and as you said it's your choice. I just disagree with your claim that it's ridiculous. You get magical items to increase carry weight (and adding an extra desirable in the world as well as wanting to enchant armour with it), the stone to add 100, a perk to add 100, numerous companions to chose from and so on. With all of that finding it too restrictive is the ridiculous part imo. Not to mention you will more than likely struggle to sell all of it and end up with more coin than you need and all those items rotting in a chest in your house by the end of the game.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I like item limiting, I don't see the problem. I feel it forces you to actually think about what kind of player you want to be, how you're going to play it & what exactly you will carry on your adventures. The idea that my character - a sneaky archer - needs to be able to carry 57 varieties of swords, maces & heavy armour just breaks the illusion of role-playing tbh.

That's great if it works for you, good on you. It doesn't work for me. I don't pick up everything, only what I want. I just checked there and my weight is at just over 600 at the moment. I don't intend on breaking the game by picking up everything and getting a ridiculous amount of money.

I personally think this game is already broken and needs a huge amount of patching. What breaks the illusion for me is the awful AI amongst other things. It's too bad the game couldn't have been beta tested on a large scale to iron out the bugs and balance issues. I feel too much of the game is left up to the players discretion. For example, a friend of mine maxed out smithing and enchanting at the very start and now complains the game is too easy... thats the problem with these sandbox type games

Also it turns out we're playing the same type character :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

And you can all but turn it off using the console command so what is the problem exactly? Why should an infinite carry weight be the default, I would bet any money that 99% of players wouldn't want a limitless inventoy.

I also fail to see how the weight limit makes the entire inventory system 'retarded', if anything the label would be far more befitting of an inventory system that allows you go around to carrying 5,000 iron ingots in your backpack.

marco_polo wrote: »
    And you can all but turn it off using the console command so what is the problem exactly? Why should an infinite carry weight be the default, I would bet any money that 99% of players wouldn't want a limitless inventoy.

I am the 1% :D
    I also fail to see how the weight limit makes the entire inventory system 'retarded', if anything the label would be far more befitting of an inventory system that allows you go around to carrying 5,000 iron ingots in your backpack.

"Retarded" was a poor choice of words. I just don't like inventory management, that's what this boils down to. I feel its a waste of time, you guys obviously don't agree.

With the length of some of the dungeons its a bad attitude to expect a casual gamer i.e someone who can only pick up the game for 2 or 3 hours at a time to have to keep fast travelling back and forward back and forward and back.. it annoys me...

This a game where I can carry 50books, 5baskets, 2 lutes, a lantern, a mop,2 buckets, 10 different cheeses, differnt breads and pieces coin all in my pocket!! Why can't they stretch it to be a bit more or just an auto-fill crate at home button or something else clever? It's not like it ruins the challenge since if you want to be anal about the real rpg experience you'll RUN back to the town on your feet or horse not 'fast travel/teleport'.

mewso wrote: »
    That RP stands for "Role Playing". I like having a carry restriction because it forces me to make choices on what I want to take with me from chests etc. just as if I really was playing the role of an adventurer who really would have a carry limit. Fire away with well what about x and y not being realistic. I simply draw the line here. I enjoy tough decisions in a game. It adds hugely to the experience for me.

I felt the exact same way at the start of the game. Then I just got fed up with it. Same thing happened with Fallout. Too many things broke the illusion for me. The story that drives each of the quests are still fantastic however, that is the main crux of the game for me. The mechanics are too broken for me to believe, I guess I envy you in some ways.

However, I could name 100's of revered RPG's that do not have this item system, so I can't really accept that point.
    You don't like it and as you said it's your choice. I just disagree with your claim that it's ridiculous. You get magical items to increase carry weight (and adding an extra desirable in the world as well as wanting to enchant armour with it), the stone to add 100, a perk to add 100, numerous companions to chose from and so on. With all of that finding it too restrictive is the ridiculous part imo. Not to mention you will more than likely struggle to sell all of it and end up with more coin than you need and all those items rotting in a chest in your house by the end of the game.

It was a bit saddened when I remember those perks you mention. I was really looking forward to getting the "Light Armour weighs nothing" perk, then i thought **** it! who cares

However, I could name 100's of revered RPG's that do not have this item system, so I can't really accept that point.
    100's? Like rpgs in recent years? No you can't.

• Advertisement

With the length of some of the dungeons its a bad attitude to expect a casual gamer i.e someone who can only pick up the game for 2 or 3 hours at a time to have to keep fast travelling back and forward back and forward and back.. it annoys me...

This a game where I can carry 50books, 5baskets, 2 lutes, a lantern, a mop,2 buckets, 10 different cheeses, differnt breads and pieces coin all in my pocket!! Why can't they stretch it to be a bit more or just an auto-fill crate at home button or something else clever? It's not like it ruins the challenge since if you want to be anal about the real rpg experience you'll RUN back to the town on your feet or horse not 'fast travel/teleport'.
    It's meant to be a limiting factor on your equipment layout. Where's the challenge if you can carry every single weapon type under the sun with you. Books and lutes and random stuff don't affect the game. Dragging enough materials back to town to mass level a crafting skill to make over powered weapons and whatnot without any penalty does.

Why do you have to drag every piece of crap that drops back to town? For gold? What's the difference between infinite gold using the console? For smithing/enchanting? Use the console to get 100 skill points. To satisfy some physological need to hoard stuff? Well...good luck to yas :P

100's? Like rpgs in recent years? No you can't.

I never said in recent years. Also 100's is an exaggeration :)

I think I could name 100 though
    Why do you have to drag every piece of crap that drops back to town? For gold? What's the difference between infinite gold using the console? For smithing/enchanting? Use the console to get 100 skill points. To satisfy some physological need to hoard stuff? Well...good luck to yas :P

Once again this completely misses the point I was trying to make. It's about the enjoyment I get out of the game, not maxing out my stats/hoarding.

Sure I might as well just enter the command to kill everything in the whole game and just walk to the end, sure why walk when I can just teleport there!

I am the 1% :D

"Retarded" was a poor choice of words. I just don't like inventory management, that's what this boils down to. I feel its a waste of time, you guys obviously don't agree.

Welll you paid good money for the game so you can play it however the hell you like for max enjoyment, but I still think it should default to suit the the 99% though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

skyrim-ruin.jpg

It's meant to be a limiting factor on your equipment layout. Where's the challenge if you can carry every single weapon type under the sun with you. Books and lutes and random stuff don't affect the game. Dragging enough materials back to town to mass level a crafting skill to make over powered weapons and whatnot without any penalty doesWhy do you have to drag every piece of crap that drops back to town? For gold? What's the difference between infinite gold using the console? For smithing/enchanting? Use the console to get 100 skill points. To satisfy some physological need to hoard stuff? Well...good luck to yas :P

I could only have 2hours to play the game, go into a dungeon and find myself encumbered after 10mins. You say 'ah sure just get infinite gold' you say 'fast-travel back and forward'. I say no one is cheating and the other is just as unrealistic as adding more weight.

The difference of dragging back axes, swords, helms, armour, bows is to sell it all for gold to sell for money at early stages is very important and has no point using the console for infinite gold! One is cheating and one is part of the game. I dont condone cheating, I think anyone that usess cheats isn't playing the game, you cheat and your ruining it for yourself. But the opposite side is when the game has a silly weight restriction 'penalty/challenge' it makes it harder to earn money, complete dungeons and therefore enjoy the game; especially if your just a casual player like I've previously mentioned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's great if it works for you, good on you. It doesn't work for me. I don't pick up everything, only what I want. I just checked there and my weight is at just over 600 at the moment. I don't intend on breaking the game by picking up everything and getting a ridiculous amount of money.
    600?? Seriously, what are you trucking around with you, Dwemer bowling balls? My limit's only about 540 & I almost never hit it, unless I max out on potions funnily enough (armour / weapons don't cause as much issue). Drank nearly everything in one go a few days back; must have looked quite peculiar to the poor residents of Riften.

I dunno, I just honestly don't think the weight thing is as big an issue as you think it is. Now having said all that, the actual inventory interface itself is horrendous & very user-unfriendly. Looks great, but is infact unusable.
    I personally think this game is already broken and needs a huge amount of patching. [...]
    Welcome to the wacky world of Bethesda sandbox games. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

As soon as the editor is released, I'm going create a mod that gives a staff which can be used to transmute objects into gold based on your speech skill. You'll only get about 60% of the gold you would get by selling to vendor though.

Add in a good 5 seconds cast time to discourage spamming, and set the weight of the staff to 75. And perhaps reduce all vendor gold by 25-50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Just a little anecdote.

Restarted the game 2 days ago on Master difficulty. Decided to go as a summoner + Archer & only save on resting. And to deliberately make the game harder, I only wear clothes instead of armor (they are enchanted though).

I was attacked by a frost dragon, and conjured up a Dremora Lord. He was running around shouting 'I can smell your fear!". Considering that the dragon can kill me in 1 hit and I was running around like a headless chicken trying to find cover, I don't think it was fear he was smelling. :D

P.S. Has anyone got any trousers I can borrow?

I personally think this game is already broken and needs a huge amount of patching. What breaks the illusion for me is the awful AI amongst other things. It's too bad the game couldn't have been beta tested on a large scale to iron out the bugs and balance issues. I feel too much of the game is left up to the players discretion. For example, a friend of mine maxed out smithing and enchanting at the very start and now complains the game is too easy... thats the problem with these sandbox type games

Also it turns out we're playing the same type character :D

Back to this point I do think that smithing / alchemy / enchanting could use a bit of tweaking as it should be much harder to level them up later on.

For example I am at around lvl 30 now and I could safely stop in front of a pack of wolves, get up and make a cup of tea, and come back 5 minutes later still getting mauled, without gaining a single XP point in heavy armor. Yet all I have to do is I go down to the forge make 4 daggers and presto I have already gained another XP point.

Ultimately though in a sandbox game you do have the power to make the experience less fun by taking the wrong decisions which is why I have made sure to avoid power leveling smithing / enchanting etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Good News folks, I shall have my graphics card tomorrow although I can't play it till Thursday. Finally get to invest in that fancy arsed house that I've been waiting to buy. (In game of course.):D

Advertisement