Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options
  • 06-12-2010 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Here's a new thread to replace our 2010 one. Its a place for discussing hillrunning, races, training, equipment, shoes, banter: so long as it goes up and down, and makes you mucky, this is the place for it! I'll put in a few links for new runners who might be curious about hill running, feel free to post more relevant info below so that we can direct newcomers to the first page of this thread throughout 2011.

What is hill running? Irish Mountain Running Association for all the information you need about races, dates, maps, carpooling, results, etc.

Do I need special gear? In general, the only specific gear you need is hill running shoes, which will provide extra traction for the different terrain. Most hill shoes have less cushioning and support than road shoes, and are more durable. Some good shoes are discussed here, here, here and where to buy them

Other gear you may need, depending on the difficulty of the race, may be waterproof clothing, map and compass, mobile phone.

How do I enter? IMRA membership is €10 per calendar year, and then €7 per race. You can register your details, (gender, age grouping, club affiliation), before each race, once that is done, you are in the system, and will be included in the results (with lots of neat graphs and charts so you can track your progress throughout the years races, and that of your rivals!).

Do I have to be in a club? No, you may leave the club section blank if you wish. However, the inter-club rivalry is a big part of the races, and gives runners down the field a chance to "score". If you are not a member of another running club, you can put down "Boards ", and be a part of the Boards team who run the IMRA races. (You do not need to join the official Boards AC team to run IMRA races, just frequent this forum, turn up and run, although you must join them if you want to run for Boards AC in AAI-run events). There is also an inter-county rivalry, so you can enter your county (of birth or residence, especially if that contributes to a bigger geographical spread than Dublin and Wicklow!).

Besides the above, carpooling helps to lessen parking problems in often remote locations, turning up early (+1hour) before the race start helps with registration queues, and most of all volunteering often helps keeps prices down and organization efficient. Through these pages, we have ran a couple of very well received map-reading course's. The ever-popular Wicklow Way Relay had two teams comprised of Boards runners, and we manged our luck, to win the whole thing:D, and the team captain hasn't lost his cheesy grin yet (as I keep reminding my friends in the Rathfarnham team, we'll be more gracious about winning in 2011;)) We had a great time talking about, and running in, IMRA races in 2010, thanks to everyone, from all clubs and none, who helped make it such a huge thread! Onwards and upwards in 2011!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The Winter league dates are up.

Happy to see some Sunday races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    The Winter league dates are up.

Happy to see some Sunday races.

AWESOME!

My local training ground, Annagh Hill, made the cut! Spanking brand new course (photos here and here ). Special prize for the first (non Imra prize winning) Boardsie to the gate at the summit.:)

Great to see Trooperstown back too, KC has unfinished business on this route. Maulin looks sadistic, 11k course, thats 820m climb in 5.5k :eek: Howth and Ticknock are great starter courses. There's a nice look to this WL, a bit of something to interest everyone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Folks

I've a normal pair of runners, but I want to buy a decent pair of shoes for mountain running / trail running.

Any suggestions of good shops to go to for (a) suitable shoes and (b) knowledgeable staff.

Preferably in the South East!

Must appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭sean_84

Folks

I've a normal pair of runners, but I want to buy a decent pair of shoes for mountain running / trail running.

Any suggestions of good shops to go to for (a) suitable shoes and (b) knowledgeable staff.

Preferably in the South East!

Must appreciated.

Ideally you would have a different pair of runners for trails and for off-trails (open mountain). I find that my normal road runners are grand for the majority of trails to be honest, but for rougher stuff Inov8 or Walshes would be well regarded brands, but I don't know if you can get them in the south east.

I do know they have some of the adidas and mizuno trail/fell runners in alfie hales in waterford city that may be worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great to see Trooperstown back too, KC has unfinished business on this route.
    Hmm, 8 seconds to steal back. Time to start training. It's my 'A' goal for next year. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

That 7k in Howth looks a niceone to start. Is that going up by the gold club?

Howth starts from the GAA grounds, runs up a bit from the Golf Course. Last time it was run, a heap of runners took a wrong turn and disrupted the checkered-trouser classes.
    Hmm, 8 seconds to steal back. Time to start training. It's my 'A' goal for next year. :)

Methinks I'll have to up my game by several notches to stay close. I'm hopeful you'll not risk those fast marathon ankles on the downhills though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

A great think I know the route , Ran it a few times years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

shels4ever wrote: »
    That 7k in Howth looks a niceone to start. Is that going up by the gold club?

looks like a new route, map is here. I'm sticking it in the diary as a must. Run out and back for a nice LSR!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The dates are up for the Wicklow way trail and ultra aswell. Both a worthy aspirants for race event of the year in the IMRA calendar (after Annagh hill of course ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Wanted to toughen up a little last winter and decided to do 3 of these, absolutely loved them and they stood to me throughout the whole season. Did Tinto Hill race in Scotland 3 weeks ago too. So going to do 3 more this winter and really looking forward to it now.

Methinks I'll have to up my game by several notches to stay close. I'm hopeful you'll not risk those fast marathon ankles on the downhills though:)
    Marathons are so....this year.. I'm all about the hill runs next year.. :)

Marathons are so....this year.. I'm all about the hill runs next year.. :)

I was afraid you'd say that! I'm going to really, really, really, up my game this year, and even then I'll be lucky to serve morning coffee to your wake.

But its a challenge, so may the best man win!:o

2010 thread locked when theres still a race to go :)

Postman delivered the 2010 yearbook today. A fine book by any standards, illuminated by the photos taken by John Shiels and many fine articles too. Lots of boards runners in evidence. I think between gohard and KC, you guys have a monopoly on some photos. Ever the photogenic ones :). A major gap is the lack of at least a chapter on the Wicklow way relay win by Boards :D or a pic of the winning team :(.

2010 thread locked when theres still a race to go :)

Sorry! Opened again for anyone who wants to categorically discuss CB Race on the 27th Dec:o

Postman delivered the 2010 yearbook today. A fine book by any standards, illuminated by the photos taken by John Shiels and many fine articles too. Lots of boards runners in evidence. I think between gohard and KC, you guys have a monopoly on some photos. Ever the photogenic ones :). A major gap is the lack of at least a chapter on the Wicklow way relay win by Boards :D or a pic of the winning team :(.

We form a team, we turn up, we whup everyones butt. High performance my a$$ :mad::D

I think between gohard and KC, you guys have a monopoly on some photos. Ever the photogenic ones :).
    Probably the airplane pose. :) I only ran 4 IMRA races last year (average place = 8 (you really gotta know how to pick them. :D)).
    Hmm. Could be a good xmas pressie (if Santa is reading).

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I reckon Mr. Shiels has a duvet cover with gohards mug on it his lense has such an afinity with him!

My copy is enroute. Looking forward to a scan through it.

Probably the airplane pose. :) I only ran 4 IMRA races last year (average place = 8 (you really gotta know how to pick them. :D)).
    Hmm. Could be a good xmas pressie (if Santa is reading).

No actually, but its the cool sunglasses and smile bit when the rest of us are in pain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Going to do a few of these next year as some of the events look good. Must join up to Boards AC when i get around to it.

Going to do a few of these next year as some of the events look good. Must join up to Boards AC when i get around to it.

You can sign on your imra registration as Boards in any event. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

very excited for the new season! plus the winter league. will there be that innov8 bumbag again for the leinster league?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Maulin looks sadistic

I assume thats a typo and you meant to say "beautiful" :)

very excited for the new season! plus the winter league. will there be that innov8 bumbag again for the leinster league?

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. We're not even in WL yet. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Leinster, Connaught and Irish Championships Dates for 2011 are now up

I love this drip-feeding:D More up now, Leinster Champs see Mount Leinster and best course from last year, Circuit of Avonbeg, return. Don't know Mullaghcleevaun, but looking forward to finding out. LC's look brilliant, well done PN.

Boards will be defending their Wicklow Way Relay title on Sat Jun 11th, places for the "A" team are up for grabs:D

Boards will be defending their Wicklow Way Relay title on Sat Jun 11th, places for the "A" team are up for grabs:D

Nominating Gohard for the A Team, i know he is off skiing for a week, so he may not get a chance.

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    Nominating Gohard for the A Team, i know he is off skiing for a week, so he may not get a chance.

He certainly hit a purple patch as this year went on, I'm sure he'll be on the team in the sort of form he's been in...

Just to clarify, "A" team places will be based on form in the months leading up to the relay. It's the fairest way to do things, so in a couple of months we'll ask anybody who wants to be considered to sign up (and twist a few arms to get others:)). You will only be considered for routes you have run previously, and 2011 recce's will be mandatory. Knowing those twists and turns is literally the difference between a winning team and a losing team.

But there's a lot of great runs ahead before we get to that point! My call above was more a "call to arms" than seeking expressions of interest- but great to see that all the same! BTW, I reckon we have the makings of a 7:30 team from these parts...:pac:

You will only be considered for routes you have run previously, and 2011 recce's will be mandatory.

So running legs 1-4 backwards(well in the opposite direction) in the snow yesterday doesn't count :-)

A great list of events. Some old reliables and new routes to explore. Nice to see Nephin getting its 'day in the sun' in the Connaught championships.

• Advertisement

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    So running legs 1-4 backwards(well in the opposite direction) in the snow yesterday doesn't count :-)

It counts :D Fair play to you, I really wanted to be part of this run. What were the conditions like?

Advertisement