Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sara83

Lasr I heard it was postponed till the 16th

Sara

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

polariz wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what time the race starts at in Howth tomorrow? The imra site has been down the last couple of days.

Cheers

It has been postponed until next Sunday due to water problems in the GAA club.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Does anyone know when we can expect the IRMA site to be back online?
    Can't live without it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Should be back now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Considering doing a few of these races this year.
    Unfortunately, most of the races are on the other side of the country to me, so I'm not going to be a regular, but would still like to try some out.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good training hill near Galway City. Don't want to go trespassing on any farmers land, so if anyone knows of a good hill with open access that would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Just in relation to Jura, Joe said is it is an epic*.... He didn't do it in the end due to the cut offs been a bit tight for him.
    Apparently people dump road flats for the 5km on the track at the end....

*(I may or may not have had this conversation with Joe - I was v sleep deprived at the time, but I think I did)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Considering doing a few of these races this year.
    Unfortunately, most of the races are on the other side of the country to me, so I'm not going to be a regular, but would still like to try some out.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good training hill near Galway City. Don't want to go trespassing on any farmers land, so if anyone knows of a good hill with open access that would be appreciated.

Conamara on your door step!
    Pick a mountain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

For any new members Planning on running on Sunday -

Please Download and fill out the form located at http://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/MembershipForm2011.pdf in advance of registration for the race.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Cheers dunebuggy, this thread has been really useful and I've decided to go along on Sunday with a mate to see what this mountain running lark is like. We will be doing the Gael force again this year and I think doing a few of these races would be really beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Should be good! Reckon there'll be a load of people at it. Apparently I'm marshalling it so will see y'all on the way by. (and hopefully I'll send you the correct direction! :-))

Best of luck!

Ro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Any of the IMRA races will without doubt help you with the Gale Force races!

But yay finally the New IMRA season kicks off, after the Sugarloaf being cancelled twice (even if it technically was in last season), and Howth being put back a week. Hopefully the weather is good for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    For any new members Planning on running on Sunday -

Please Download and fill out the form located at http://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/MembershipForm2011.pdf in advance of registration for the race.

Thanks

Great, thanks for that...Was on the website and was getting the 2010 form! I thought the races were €10 but according to the website they are only €7....I take it there's nothing stopping me paying the tenner on the basis that it's great value and presumably IMRA needs all the funds it can get, not that an extra €3 from me will make much of a difference!

Edit; Am i correct in saying I can/should put down Boards.ie as my club even if I don't belong to Boards.ie athletic club?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Great, thanks for that...Was on the website and was getting the 2010 form! I thought the races were €10 but according to the website they are only €7....I take it there's nothing stopping me paying the tenner on the basis that it's great value and presumably IMRA needs all the funds it can get, not that an extra €3 from me will make much of a difference!

Edit; Am i correct in saying I can/should put down Boards.ie as my club even if I don't belong to Boards.ie athletic club?

10 Euro for your membership for the year and then 7Euro per race. So bring 17euro and the Form on Sunday.

Club is just "Boards". There are many of us :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do members from previous years need to bring a new registration form or are we covered already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They'll print out a form for you on the laptop if you were registered in previous years.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hoping to get out to this tomorrow if I can source a lift to either support everyone else or just crawl it in agonising pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Forecast is for the weather to clear up overnight too! Wouldnt fancy it so much on a day like today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

jebuz wrote: »
    Cheers dunebuggy, this thread has been really useful and I've decided to go along on Sunday with a mate to see what this mountain running lark is like. We will be doing the Gael force again this year and I think doing a few of these races would be really beneficial.

How did you get on Jebuz?

We had great conditions for it. Little bit mucky and slippy due to the recent rain but not that bad. I had never been around the Deer park walk (?) before. Great route. Lungs were working overtime. Kept trying to get my breath back but it wasn't happening. I was overtaken at the GAA pitches but had no fight in me even just to force him to work for his position!

I went to bed last night with the wind and rain battering at the windows and it turned out to be an incredibly mild day!

How did you get on Jebuz?

We had great conditions for it. Little bit mucky and slippy due to the recent rain but not that bad. I had never been around the Deer park walk (?) before. Great route. Lungs were working overtime. Kept trying to get my breath back but it wasn't happening. I was overtaken at the GAA pitches but had no fight in me even just to force him to work for his position!

I went to bed last night with the wind and rain battering at the windows and it turned out to be an incredibly mild day!

Really enjoyed it thanks, I finished in just over 31 mins which I am quite pleased with for my first race. It was right craic shimmying around the rocks and branches trying not to slap on my face but agony with the big climb! you really need your wits about you but yeah really enjoyable and I will definitely be doing some more of these, my aim is to finish 3 of the 5 winter races. The conditions were ideal, well compared to Saturday morning anyway, there were a few muddy areas as expected but nothing to cause major hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That was great fun today, my first mountain race and jebas that was some climb around the 3k mark! I made a good few places up back on the flat but the lungs were working up at the mast! Looking forward to the next one, nice bunch of people too! When are the results up? I forgot to stop the Garmin when I came over the line.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

digger2d2 wrote: »
    That was great fun today, my first mountain race and jebas that was some climb around the 3k mark! I made a good few places up back on the flat but the lungs were working up at the mast! Looking forward to the next one, nice bunch of people too! When are the results up? I forgot to stop the Garmin when I came over the line.....

Interum results. Don't bother highlighting discrepancies just yet, they will post a full result on the imra website soon. Sterling work done today by Val and Gavan on the computer, first race of the season could be a nightmare to process info, but they did great, overseen by a calm Dunebuggy, who obviously did his homework well in advance.

Well done to Enduro and Mymojo, both first home today in M and F classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Think Boards may have won the team prize! :D

Be great if we could get two females to join MyMojo to form a Boards female team!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

That was a great race to kick off the 2011 season, the course really had a mix of everything, with barely a trail in sight during the whole race. I had an ok race, I need to get back training in the hills though. It felt like a very long 5k though, I forgot how much slower the pace is in the hills then on the road! I set off too quick thinking the race wouldn't be as long as it was, and paid for it on the final hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Superb start to the imra year. Great race but jebus does the 'easy' tag make it harder.

Arrived hungover and not in the mood and spent the 5k chasing mymojo. (I think)

My best imra result to date. In the 30s placings Whoop!

Cheers to organisers. Great course. And minute silence was a lovely touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

jebuz wrote: »
    ... but agony with the big climb!

Big climb, in Howth?:D Glad you enjoyed the race.
    Make sure you get to Annagh Hill. There's a nice short climb there to enjoy:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Results are up.
    Think Boards may have won the team prize! :D

Great running from you GoHard, and earlyevening, to take the team prize with Enduro. Brilliant start of the year for the Boards team!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

It was great to be back racing but I’d forgot all about the intensity of racing and spent the last 2km wondering had I miss read the distance as 5km as my legs had hit the jelly wall which I continuously fail to reach in training :), (then again my training is more about enjoying the view than anything else.)

Big climb, in Howth?:D Glad you enjoyed the race.
    Make sure you get to Annagh Hill. There's a nice short climb there to enjoy:D:D:D

I don't like the look of that smiley, but thank god Annagh Hill is nice and short, what a relief :) I actually am planning on making that race and expecting it to be twice as tough but looking forward to it, might invest in some good footwear for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Timmaay wrote: »
    I need to get back training in the hills though. It felt like a very long 5k though,

Same as myself, have done very little running, never mind hill work, over the winter period and by the third climb my lower back was feeling it. Had I remembered that pain from early last year I would never have eased up over the winter. The run around the pitch was tearful, I had thought it was only one pitch length, not two. So between that and the heavy ground it sapped the last bit of energy from me and I had no interest in holding the guy off who came up behind me, his number flapping in the wind alerted me to the fact he was there. Good course though, pretty relentless with no long flat stretches to recover on bar the final straight, you were either climbing or barrelling downwards.

Still, a reasonable position all considered, in the 60s, a couple of positions behind someone with Boards as their team with the initials OH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

That would be me ThisRegard (OH), The exact same happened to me on the pitch , with the heavy ground at least 6 people passed me, i was half day dreaming at the time and wishing for firmer ground. :)

Advertisement