Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

For those in the know about the Ticknock route....

Can someone confirm that it's the same route as used in the Wednesday evening summer leagues ?
    Did it year before last and sort of remember the route as most of it was covered in thick fog.

Route is as per map on the site, confirmed with the RD. This will only change if there is bad patches of ICE in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

The site map is from 2009. Last year we were forced to take a slightly different route because of felling at around the 8k mark. We also dropped down the Wicklow Way rather than cutting through the forest before heading into the gulley below the rifle range.

Henny may take us anywhere, he knows a lot of variations on this route ;-)

The main place to be careful is where the route switches back from the Wicklow Way, some people may be tempted to just barrel on down the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

shame about the clash with the eircom race in cherryfield on the same day and time, i would have liked to have done both. might be interesting to see how the group of runner who normally run both will split tomorrow. guess february will see my IMRA 2011 debut

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

emerald007 wrote: »
    shame about the clash with the eircom race in cherryfield on the same day and time, i would have liked to have done both. might be interesting to see how the group of runner who normally run both will split tomorrow. guess february will see my IMRA 2011 debut

Agree. It would be great if IMRA and BHAA could agree not to clash. Wishful thinking I suppose. There is also a clash on Sat 5th March - Garda BHAA and the IMRA Maulin.

Was going to go to Ticknock tomorrow but calf muscle flared up again on Thrs night so now can't do either.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Between adventure races, cross country races, road races, orienteering events, mountain bike races etc etc there is too much to try to fit around. So we don't. We lay out the calendar to best suit our own runners and volunteers... simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I'm sure IMRA would be amenable to trying to avoid other similar events all the same:)

Another flawless race today. Kudos to Dermot Murphy and all the other volunteers. The weather was perfect for running and Ticknock is a special playground. Eoiny Beany made it 2 from 2 but the two raiders from Leeds made life interesting for him amidst various herds of MTB riders and some walkers.

Peterx wrote: »
    I'm sure IMRA would be amenable to trying to avoid other similar events all the same:)

They are and have been :-)

We avoid clashes where we were informed in advance, there are actually less clashes this year based on feedback we got last year on events.

Worth noting that others haven't been as accommodating the other way around,

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Great race today. The 3-rock winter route is always enjoyable. Good to see plenty of boardsies about. If GoHard had ran the race we'd have probably picked up the team prize again, but alas we were pipped by UCD this time.

Conditions were pretty good. A nice sharp bite in the air, clear visibility and little or no wind. Lots of ice around the the two rock area made for a very interesting descent... I was waiting to hear a thud... where micro-route choice was critical to speed and survival!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yeh that was a lovely race, and I enjoyed it much more then Howth because i paced myself and didn't try be a hero and stay ahead of you Enduro again ha! The Icey sections were good fun I thought, as you said line selection was key, and sorry to disappoint ya, we only had 2 people with minor cuts needing 1st aid help :P.

And yeh I went to the race not even expecting UCD to have a team out, a few lads I train with are out injured at the minute so we are down on numbers, but it was a good surprise that we won, and took it away from yous:P.

I'm going to have to miss the next winter league as I've a MTB race, which is a pity as I'm hearing good stuff about Annagh Hill, but thats life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Did another recce of Annagh Hill with PN, who is marking it, and I really wanted him to like the course. Thrilled to have got a thumbs up, and a smiling try-out on the final downhill. The course has been tweaked and perfected, and now includes a fast grassy downhill, which I'm happy about as I always wanted to include this section. It is a test and a challenge, and will reward those who enjoy battling with the mountain, as well as battling their opponents.

The initial climb is as steep as they come on the imra circuit, and makes the Maulin ride seem like the Maulin peck on the cheek;
    Run along the ridge allows some respite, before descending on grass a la coming down fast from Djouce- why not let loose, what harm can come from a fall?;
    Enter the forest for an undulating test featuring rock, mud, trees, shale- the race will be won by the bravest here;
    2k of fireroad- uphill, not too severe a gradient, please lift your head and enjoy the view of Lug, Croghans Moira and Kinsella, and the Wicklow Way, for this section has been included to aesthetize;
    Traverse the ridge again, on a final climb that will test lactate in thighs. Seconds will be made up by those who plough through the knee deep pools, rather than bypassing through the marked trees (runners choice here);
    Now is payback time for all that climbing, a fast downhill through the forest. Which is only a warm-up for the real downhill, falling through muck and skipping over branches, down a gradient that has to bring a smile to your face. You've no choice but to let go, and embrace gravity as a friend.;
    Run through some puddles to clean your shoes, before the final 400m sharp down through the forest, traction may or may not help.;
    Turn and run 200m for home, and move to the pub, of open fires and wooden ambience, order a pint, and reflect on being one of the first to traverse one of the nicer loops in Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You're making that sound so tempting right now. I guarantee I'll be cursing it on one of those ascents, there had better be a nice pint and fire afterwards like you say.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You're making that sound so tempting right now. I guarantee I'll be cursing it on one of those ascents, there had better be a nice pint and fire afterwards like you say.

It would have been dereliction of duty not to recce the pub, which i did today. You won't want to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

As Donothoponpop says this is a course to challenge both legs and head. It has absolutely everything a hill racer could look for* and the pub is one of the more comfortable ones.
    Just don't be in a big hurry to get to the start, the roads nearby have been badly affected by the recent weather, give yourself plenty of time for a slow final approach to the Gap.

*it is assumed hill racers don't like easy bits, dry ground, flat ground, made ground, paved ground, km markings, water stations etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

donothoponpop/PositiveNegativ It's the guts of 2 weeks to Annagh Hill and you guys are scaring me, i've got butterfly's reading your posts :)

The initial climb is as steep as they come on the imra circuit, and makes the Maulin ride seem like the Maulin peck on the cheek;

Awesome !!! The wall of death

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Another recce this week dpop? Or seen as you run the route almost daily at this stage I should direct that question to the likes of dunebuggy & co :) I don't thing our safety officer is on boards but we could try synch diaries.

Another recce this week dpop? Or seen as you run the route almost daily at this stage I should direct that question to the likes of dunebuggy & co :) I don't thing our safety officer is on boards but we could try synch diaries.

Some of the imra guys will make it, some won't, but another recce is set for this Sat 29th Jan, meet 9:30am outside the Gap pub, anyone who wants to come along is more than welcome.

It would have been dereliction of duty not to recce the pub, which i did today. You won't want to leave.

Boo, we may not even get in, never mind leave. Looking at the link in your last post, it doesn't open on Sundays until 2pm.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Boo, we may not even get in, never mind leave. Looking at the link in your last post, it doesn't open on Sundays until 2pm.

Do you really think I'd go to all this work- scouting a new route, organizing recce's, collecting gear, seeing how other races are directed, assembling a crack team of volunteers... without ensuring the most important item, extra-special 12:30pm early opening of the pub?;)

I had an idea there may have been some sort of behind the scene dealings going on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Do you really think I'd go to all this work- scouting a new route, organizing recce's, collecting gear, seeing how other races are directed, assembling a crack team of volunteers... without ensuring the most important item, extra-special 12:30pm early opening of the pub?;)

Interesting development. I may have to re-consider my plans to drive down!

Hopefully make it down Saturday morning for a recce.

Jeffontour, if you stick on his left side and I cover the right do you think we might be able to keep donothoponpop on course?

Jeffontour, if you stick on his left side and I cover the right do you think we might be able to keep donothoponpop on course?

I ran out of Harveys. The mist was down. My navigation trainer was obviously a cowboy.

When that Bridge-to-bridge record falls, it will fall hard.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

So long as you don't throw donothoponpop and me a curve ball like you did your pursuer on the day of the relay we might just manage to keep him within the bounds of the course. Maybe!

:D

There's a brief summary of the last couple of weekends over on Mud, Sweat and Tears for those who may not have seen it, http://www.mudsweatandtears.co.uk/2011/01/25/a-weekend-of-hills-and-cross-in-ireland/

Some of the imra guys will make it, some won't, but another recce is set for this Sat 29th Jan, meet 9:30am outside the Gap pub, anyone who wants to come along is more than welcome.

Bumpity-bump. Anyone at a loose end tomorrow morning is more than welcome to join us on a climbity-climb, followed by a bumpity-bump tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

That's a low blow PN! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great run this morning on Annagh. A lovely route. Well done to donothoponpop on doing the leg work to getting this on the calendar and touch wood we'll get the weather next week to get the best from it.

Good turn-out from several imra lads (and lady) for the latest recce this morning, a bit frosty, so the mucky downhill was crunchy and hard underfoot, rather than the soft helter skelter it will hopefully be on race day. It was agreed that its a fairly hard course, but got a general thumbs up, so all systems go for Sun 6th.

That's a low blow PN! :D

Low blows from PN, high blows from Slogger as he whacks branches back into my face- it's a wonder I get any running done at all down here:D

• Advertisement

Guts of an hour's mix of up awfulness and down childishness today, pace as mixed as the route. Wondering at the potential winning time. Am thinking somewhere in the 45 - 48 minute bracket.
    One thing for certain, the first 2km will make or break people's race, and their perception of south Wicklow in general.
    IMRA lady enjoyed the route but suggests the map is a load of ****.

Advertisement