Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'll keep an eye out for you next time can keep you at bay :D I think you passed me on the final climb, I was 50th/51st at the point where the guy was counting out the positions in the woods but went backwards big time at the hill before the final little climb to the aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Great race yesterday as usual. Course was well marked, race started on time, friendly crowd (apart from the elbows flying into the first corner :)) steward calling out placing about a km in and the results were available within a few hours.

Felt alot longer than 5km and was slippy on parts which added to the fun. I pulled away from a group on the football pitchs at the end and with 50 yards left i looked back and i had a reasonable lead on them so i slowed down as i was about to puke, just as i crossed the line checking my watch a runner sprinted by me. i see from the results it was a boards member and he finished one hundreth of a second behind me, fair play to you on the sprint finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just read this in the Indo and popped over to see if there were any more details on the IMRA forums but there was none, just someone else asking the same question
    Walker airlifted after knee injury

A MAN in his 50s was airlifted off a mountain yesterday afternoon after he slipped and injured his knee. The lone walker, who is believed to have dislocated or strained his knee, was close to the summit of Lugnaquilla, Wicklow's highest peak, when the accident happened.

It is understood that the alarm was raised by runners from the Irish Mountain Running Association who came across the man and called Dublin/Wicklow Mountain Rescue at about 3.45pm. The man was taken to Beaumont Hospital where he was described as comfortable and stable last night.

Were the runners just having a small cool down run after the Howth race yesterday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Well, I must say, that was a very pleasant 30 min V02 max session!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

While the euphoria of yesterday's race is still coursing through runners veins, a reminder that upcoming races success will be determined by the amount of volunteers who help out. The imra volunteer chart has lots of gaps that need filling, make a race directors day by signing up to help out.

(In particular, since I'm RD'ing Annagh Hill, it would be nice to get a team of helpers from Boards:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

No that this matters but I was convinced I finished about 35th-40th. When we passed the guy calling out the numbers I was 40th but finished 128th despite passing more than passed me. Didn't wear a watch but thought I was quite close to the top when we left the GAA pitch (seemed to be about 40-50 ahead of me). Got my result and it said 128th. Have no time recorded myself so I'm guessing it's accurate.

Still, loved the experience. Didn't get to do any imra races last year. Was running in a nice pair of inov8's which helped so much with the downhills. Won't make next weekend but will be there on Feb 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

No that this matters but I was convinced I finished about 35th-40th. When we passed the guy calling out the numbers I was 40th but finished 128th despite passing more than passed me. Didn't wear a watch but thought I was quite close to the top when we left the GAA pitch (seemed to be about 40-50 ahead of me). Got my result and it said 128th. Have no time recorded myself so I'm guessing it's accurate.

Interesting, the guy I did it with knows he finished round the 36 min mark which would be around 128th place, yet he is down as finishing 25th in 28 mins which is fairly close to where you reckon you finished, sounds like the two of you may have got mixed up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Could the guy have called out 140 when you passed? That would fit with overtaking a few people and then coming in 128th.

All in all, it was a good race, and the longest 5k I think I've ever run.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

The results are now sorted on the IMRA site.

If you thought that was a long 5km, roll on Ticknock next week at almost 10km, steeper longer hills, and a fun descent !!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Donny5 wrote: »
    Could the guy have called out 140 when you passed? That would fit with overtaking a few people and then coming in 128th.

All in all, it was a good race, and the longest 5k I think I've ever run.

The numbers being called were people race numbers rather than positions. Hopefully with the results now fixed your position has improved.

• Advertisement

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    The numbers being called were people race numbers rather than positions. Hopefully with the results now fixed your position has improved.

Race numbers? Unless everyone running past happened to have race numbers in contiguous ascending order, that's not what was happening. This was on the route, now, not at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

jebuz wrote: »
    Interesting, the guy I did it with knows he finished round the 36 min mark which would be around 128th place, yet he is down as finishing 25th in 28 mins which is fairly close to where you reckon you finished, sounds like the two of you may have got mixed up!

Jebuz, u've made my day. There were only 40-5@ people ahead f me as we went around the pitch for the first time so I was beginning to think that I'd taken a wrong turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

Looks like the race numbers 171 (25th place) and 173 (128th place) may have got mixed up. You could post to the IMRA forum asking the RD to be a nice guy and check the manual finish sheets :) (as runners finish their numbers are both entered into the laptop and written on paper)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Dunebuggy wrote: »

Actually Gerry Brady was calling out race positions on the course. I think that is what Donn5 is talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

I pulled away from a group on the football pitchs at the end and with 50 yards left i looked back and i had a reasonable lead on them so i slowed down as i was about to puke, just as i crossed the line checking my watch a runner sprinted by me. i see from the results it was a boards member and he finished one hundreth of a second behind me, fair play to you on the sprint finish

someone looking for attention here:D
    he passed by but yet you finished ahead of him.congrats on the sprint finish???
    rule1 never slow down and did u puke?(I wouldnt think so if u slowed down)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

clubcard wrote: »
    puke

Depending on how long is left in the race, puking is a favorable option... Last small climb, if you can survive it with no food in your stomach, your lighter!! so you can climb faster

or thats my theory on it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

clubcard wrote: »
    I pulled away from a group on the football pitchs at the end and with 50 yards left i looked back and i had a reasonable lead on them so i slowed down as i was about to puke, just as i crossed the line checking my watch a runner sprinted by me. i see from the results it was a boards member and he finished one hundreth of a second behind me, fair play to you on the sprint finish

someone looking for attention here:D
    he passed by but yet you finished ahead of him.congrats on the sprint finish???
    rule1 never slow down and did u puke?(I wouldnt think so if u slowed down)

no puking thankfully, if i'd puked i wouldnt have been able to have pints watching the football :) and yeah i think he deserves praise for being able to sprint at the end of such a tough race, i wasnt trying to gloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

For those in the know about the Ticknock route....

Can someone confirm that it's the same route as used in the Wednesday evening summer leagues ?
    Did it year before last and sort of remember the route as most of it was covered in thick fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I don't think its the same loop, heres a map from the imra site for the race on sat http://imra.ie/events/view/tab/maps/id/818/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

One of the lads (slogger?) posted the garmin data from last year:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/3299520

Am I right in thinking that its all on trails and therefore little prospect of a mud bath?

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Am I right in thinking that its all on trails and therefore little prospect of a mud bath?

I was up for a jog on Ticknock today, just up from the carpark to Three Rock, then up the Mountain Meitheal rock path to a loop around Two Rock. The North side of the hill was fairly frosty, with sheet ice on the puddles and solid frozen ground. The rock path was slippy as anything, too. Once up on top of Two Rock, where the sun hit the ground, it was a veritable mud bath. Maybe mud spa is a better term. The bog tracks are destroyed with deep footprints and bike tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

nerraw1111 wrote: »

You'd be wrong to expect plain trails. Some trails, but a lot of rougher rockier trails which could are likely to be mucky / icy depending on the weather. Last year we had snow and ice which was cool but can make for treacherous running conditions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Donny5 wrote: »
    I was up for a jog on Ticknock today, just up from the carpark to Three Rock, then up the Mountain Meitheal rock path to a loop around Two Rock. The North side of the hill was fairly frosty, with sheet ice on the puddles and solid frozen ground. The rock path was slippy as anything, too. Once up on top of Two Rock, where the sun hit the ground, it was a veritable mud bath. Maybe mud spa is a better term. The bog tracks are destroyed with deep footprints and bike tracks.

The Winter League Ticknock route usually avoids the new rock path and the summit of Two Rock :)

There is one really mucky bit after crossing the bottom of the boneshaker (near the start). I'd expect plenty of ice especially on path crossing over N side of Two Rock over to Wicklow Way.

The marker may vary things from last year on the day, so expect the unexpected :D

Antigrav wrote: »
    The Winter League Ticknock route usually avoids the new rock path and the summit of Two Rock :)

Yeah, from the looks of map, the only place where I ran along Sunday's route is up at Two Rock, which was the worst part of the track I came across! I'm really looking forward to this one, now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

I've only done one IMRA event previously and am just wondering about how the conditions will affect choice of running shoe.
    Trying to decide between Inov8's for grip or Asics for comfort:confused:
    Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What type of Innov8s are they? If it's something like Roclites I'd go for them, if it was something like Mudclaws I'd probably go for the Asics which should be fine on the Ticknock terrain. Something like Maulin would benefit more from shoes with grips.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Thanks Stark. They're Roclites. I find them great on hilly rocky ground but are hard to run in on flatter ground or fire roads.
    Looking forward to getting them mucky on Sunday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

You guys keep referring to 'Sunday'...According to the IMRA website the race is on Saturday......Am I seeing things?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

digger2d2 wrote: »
    You guys keep referring to 'Sunday'...According to the IMRA website the race is on Saturday......Am I seeing things?:confused:

You are right. Its Saturday.

• Advertisement

Myself and Donny5 would have been quite the lonely fellows standing outside Taylors on our own at 9.30 on Sunday morning.:(:(

Advertisement