Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

It counts :D Fair play to you, I really wanted to be part of this run. What were the conditions like?

Conditions from yesterday

eamonn wicklow way.jpg

We had around 44k of snow out of 50k. It was very hard around Djouce and walking and sliding backwards down curtlestown was tough. We saw 5 people the whole day and the only trails we saw were Pauls and Jasons ahead :-)

Awesome day out though - great sun and smiles in the beginning and in the pub after !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Well done to St. Bridgid's AC in Meath, for getting their Mullaghmeen Hill Run in Oldcastle onto the calendar. It will form part of the new Spring Trail series, which will be ideal for anyone who wishes to try hill running, before the harder summer races begin.

Everyone is constantly impressed by the high value to cost ratio of imra races. A whole years worth of quality races at €7 a pop, which is only made possible through a very strong volunteer ethos. There's a volunteer chart where you can sign up to help at upcoming races, and help directly keep this great race organization strong. Laptop operators, first aid people, are always at a premium, but every race needs helpers for registration and entry. All this requires is you turn up a bit earlier, and man the desks for a half hour or so (you can then run the race yourself). In particular, the early races of the year are very busy with new registrations that need to be processed, so you might consider helping out there. The best race calendar is only possible with help from the best people. (Spot prizes also tend to be mysteriously won by volunteers;))

Imra- its how Russia would have looked had Stalin never been born.

Rene has a "scoop" preview of the full upcoming calendar over on MS&T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

That's a cracking preview. Interesting to read about the more open/fell races in the calendar this year.

Nice to see the return of the marathon plod, really enjoyed that event last year.

On another note, the year book arrived today. Fantastic work although I can't help thinking it could've been better in they included my mug ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Ahhhh 2011... *rolls up sleeves*. Had to drop out of running for the latter half of 2010 after breaking my ankle on the Fairy Castle race. But this year...this year..I will NO fail! :-)

Looking forward to it...trying to build back. Reckon I'll skip the WL given my bad balance on ice and snow and still concerned about my ankle.

But loving the look of the LC, (Delighted to see Tonelagee still in..woohoo!) want to run the WW trail for the first time, the Relay of course. Maybe Circuit of Avonbeg...

It's all looking good!

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

Rene has a "scoop" preview of the full upcoming calendar over on MS&T.

look at that handsome devil legging it down croagh patrick! .................:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Anyone know why the IMRA website is down? I couldn't access it today or yesterday.

geld wrote: »
    Anyone know why the IMRA website is down? I couldn't access it today or yesterday.

SJ has over worked the server looking at Slideshows of himself all day :-)

Domain has expired, hope to get it sorted in the morning

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    SJ has over worked the server looking at Slideshows of himself all day :-)

He'll have to fix that injury and get back out running again!:D

• Advertisement

Dunebuggy wrote: »

Domain has expired, hope to get it sorted in the morning

Fixed

Summer league is up - Ballinastoe course is to be determined but it will be a classic I am told by the Route Marker

Charles Barrington Memorial race of the Sugar Loaf postponed from the 27th to the 31st Dec, weather dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Yes Jean et al, the race will go ahead unless there is thunder and lightning, blizzard conditions, or some sort of biblical plague. Snow won't really make the race any more treacherous than the stones that have littered the route since... well, since before the bible.

I'm assuming that mountain runners laugh at challenges, sneer at difficulties, grasp at opportunities, and that enough of you care about one of the really classic race routes that exist in the Leinster area to make an exception to the post-Yule torpor that riddles our angst ridden nation and will get out and do it.
    Blow off the post-Christmas blues. There will be post race pints in the Glencormac Inn.

Leopardstown may be cancelled, but the Barrington goes ahead.

I saw the above email on the fourm and I thought - Long Live IMRA. Hardy men and women who laugh at inclement weather and grotty terrain.

Then I was brought back to reality of the conditions.

Imagine if there were off trail races mid week. Heaven. I'd be burnt out by the June Bank Holiday weekend :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Charles Barrington Memorial race of the Sugar Loaf postponed from the 27th to the 31st Dec, weather dependent.
    It seems so wrong to postpone an IMRA race due to inclement weather, but on a positive note, I'll be back in Dublin on the 31st. Would love to get a race in over the festive period to see just how unfit I've become, and give me my mojo back for a positive start to the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Can't mess around with runners safety, you wouldn't be forgiven if anything awry happened. Lots of us would like to run in the snow but this can't be done in 100% safety on the Sugarloaf. Maybe over a snowy traily course but not there. Theres the certain matter of race logistics too. I've the race gear and I've been snowbound a lot in recent days. I couldn't guarantee I can drive anywhere in 2 or 3 days time. Hopefully New Years Eve will bring better race conditions.

Mountain Racing by its very nature is a dangerous sport.
    Flinging oneself off mountain tops at "if i lose concentration i will die" speeds isn't exactly something in line with been safe and healthy. Every time we enter the mountains, we have to take stock of our own abilities before we do anything. Be it letting Brain get a gap so I don't collapse with fatigue on an exposed erret in the Reeks or when I hit the brakes (rarely ;) ) on a rocky descent. I am taking responsibility for my own actions.
    Surely the same applies for all races in all conditions. Thats also why a lot of open mountain races have kit requirements.

However, I do see your point about race kit been at different ends of Wicklow and the ability to actually get to the base of the mountain.

Nothing wrong with a 6km run in to the start ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The sugarloaf race last winter was the most dangerous race I have ever done, you couldn't put foot on any of the paths, they were pure ice, and the gale up the top would have blown ya off if you stood up straight! The weather is part of the mix in hill running I know, but I think you need to draw the line somewhere and sending people up the sugarloaf in icey conditions is just asking for trouble!

geld wrote: »
    that's a pretty snobby comment to make and is a bit insulting to all those who are regulars on the Wednesday IMRA runs. :(

Wow dude! No insult was meant! Comment been edited to remove insult

• Advertisement

ocnoc wrote: »
    Wow dude! No insult was meant! Comment been edited to remove insult

Point accepted, My post has been deleted too! See you on the hills (maybe some Wednesday!):D

Timmaay wrote: »
    The sugarloaf race last winter was the most dangerous race I have ever done, you couldn't put foot on any of the paths, they were pure ice, and the gale up the top would have blown ya off if you stood up straight! The weather is part of the mix in hill running I know, but I think you need to draw the line somewhere and sending people up the sugarloaf in icey conditions is just asking for trouble!

In hindsight the race last year shouldn't have been ran. I didn't feel safe running it. That ice was deadly.

The sugarloaf race last winter was the most dangerous race I have ever done
    In hindsight the race last year shouldn't have been ran.

Excusing youthful stupidity/ enthusiasm; At what stage does it get too dangerous?

Like FG was run last year in hell like conditions and was cancelled mid way through... but I'd class that as "High Mountains"

When it is not safe? When its so icy you can hardly stand or tip toe walk through it. Also, when theres narrow sections where ascending and descending runners are in close proximity in these icy conditions. In addition, you have to think of the full field of runners. The guys at the elite end can look after themselves but down the field if you have juniors etc theres a safety responsibility when it comes to organisig a race.

My current illogical one sided views are coming from some extreme cabin fever with all races been cancelled - from XC to track to road to O to mountain.

Sorry for any/all offence caused.

From the RD's point of view safety should come first.
    From a frustrated competitors point of view - i just wana race

At what stage does it get too dangerous?
    From the RD's point of view safety should come first.

You've almost answered your own question there. RD has to make a call, everyone else has to accept it. Can't be easy deciding to call off or postpone a race you've worked hard in organizing.
    Excusing youthful stupidity/ enthusiasm;
    Sorry for any/all offence caused.

Not the first time your direct writing style has been misconstrued. I thought your point was well made (albeit in jest, although its one you often hear at the weekends), and your love for open mountain running is a tonic. Don't excuse that enthusiasm too much, you only get to be youthful once.

Anyone doing a Northern Raid tomorrow??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What is it colm? ya got a link for it? Cabin fever for me here big time, have to get out and race ha!

The Christmas Cracker. Its a 10 mile multi terrain race.... Wee bit of fire road, plenty of trails, a wee bit of off road... and its pairs! So your time counts when both of ye cross the line.

http://www.newcastleac.org/

I put out a plee on the IMRA fourm looking for a lift for myself and my other runner. Due to his car been in a different part of the country.

I ran this 2 year ago and its good fun. The course changes every year, there are always a few "surprises". I heard a few years ago that the leading pair were about to kick on the final straight only to vbe diverted into a near by field for a final hilly loop.

All and all, good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

At what stage does it get too dangerous?

When the Race Director has the same lead stomach feeling as the eijets in shorts and tshirts :D

Advertisement