Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Charles Barrington Memorial race of the Sugar Loaf postponed from the 27th to the 31st Dec, weather dependent.

Just realised that I am working that day. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

In case the Charles Barrington isn't going ahead (and currently its not confirmed as on), we'll (SJ and I so far) be doing a recce of the Annagh Hill circuit starting from the Gap pub at 1pm, New Years Eve. Anyone who fancies coming along is more than welcome, won't be a fast run, more of a ramble of the hill, followed by more rambling at the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

In case the Charles Barrington isn't going ahead (and currently its not confirmed as on), we'll (SJ and I so far) be doing a recce of the Annagh Hill circuit starting from the Gap pub at 1pm, New Years Eve. Anyone who fancies coming along is more than welcome, won't be a fast run, more of a ramble of the hill, followed by more rambling at the pub.

Knowing the terrain I have both Mudrocs and/or Walshes at the ready.

If anyone is down south Wicklow way in the morning I intend doing an easy run (10am ish) along the Kyle loop which is around 14k of a hilly run near Tinahely. Could be a mite wet underfoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Would like to have made it but have a wedding on that day - hope to get down there at some stage soon :-) hopefully the weekend after howth

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I'm in. Providing it dosen't snow again!

• Advertisement

jeffontour wrote: »
    I'm in. Providing it dosen't snow again!

Great! Nice one Jeff, the roads should be a bit more forgiving than the last time you tried to drive down:D

I did an easy run around the Kyle loop Tinahely this morning. A total of 12k with plenty of mixed terrain along the way. A route waiting for a race at some stage. Its waymarked too so doesn't even need any additional markers.

Can we make it 1.30? The OH has an appointment earlier so I'm child minding.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

130 is fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Will try to make it out too, if illness/work/family commitments/weather are agreeable.

• Advertisement

Bring your grippiest runners.

Jeff, I'll finally have that Irish Champs t-shirt for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bring your grippiest runners.
    Mud?
    Ice?
    Scree?
    All of the above?!

Mud?
    Ice?
    Scree?
    All of the above?!

Mud and puddles for sure.

1:30 is fine, don't rush either, we'll wait a while if needs be.
    Mud?
    Ice?
    Scree?
    All of the above?!

All of the above, although ice has probably disappeared- it was melting rapidly the last few days I was up there. My roclite 315's are perfect. Grip is mainly needed on downhill mud/scree trail, but its not too savage if you slip either. Suffice to say a change of footwear is recommended after the recce.

Great to be having a few at this, nice way to round off 2010:)

Thanks for the run today. Great!
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/61288087 (includes section from car park to start and from finish back to car park.. a few hundred metres each way). The 1st 2k are a real tester :D

Very good to have three fresh runners give a thumbs up to the course today. No doubt, it's a toughie, but if you're going to climb, it may as well be a steep climb as at the start, that never ends. If you're going to run flat, it may as well be a rugged ridge with panoramic views, and pools to splash through. And if you're going to run downhill, it may as well be a downhill that sends you crashing through forest and mud, at speeds that push beyond safety limits that might be instinctive.

Roll on 6th Feb:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Sounds like a great course, pity I'm going to miss the race there though, I have a mountain bike race that day:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Thanks for the run yesterday d'pop, really good fun in the muck!
    Them downhills are great craic and plenty of them too.
    Personally wouldn't change a single thing from yesterdays run; route, trees, conditions underfoot, hope it's the same in Feb. Let me know if you need a hand with anything ahead of the race

There's not a better set of races in Ireland than those offered by imra- certainly they rank as the best value for money. The only way this is possible is through the strong volunteer system they have. Keep it strong, and play your part by helping out, in any role you can. First race of the season, Howth Winter, is coming up, and lots of runners will need to be registered. Play your part by turning up a bit earlier and helping man the registration for a bit- you can contact the race director and volunteer though here, and your assistance will be much appreciated.

The whole fecking country may be broke, the financial center cannot hold, the numbers don't add up- but a way forward is through communities stepping up to work together, and you can play your part through helping out at imra races, and helping keep going an excellence to be proud of. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

There's not a better set of races in Ireland than those offered by imra- certainly they rank as the best value for money.

The whole fecking country may be broke, the financial center cannot hold, the numbers don't add up- but a way forward is through communities stepping up to work together, and you can play your part through helping out at imra races, and helping keep going an excellence to be proud of. :)

Well Said!:D

• Advertisement

Doing a recce of the Howth Route tomorrow with the Course Marker - Gerry Brady.

If anyone wants to join us we will be meeting at the sea front car park opposite Mauds at 10:00.

The Plan is two do 2 or 3 laps, the race on Sunday the 9th is 5.15km

All Welcome !! Can't guarantee the same pleasures as Annagh Hill :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

does anyone know if there are prerequisites for the WW ultra 51km? on 26th march. as in i have never run this distance and hope to do this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Is the IMRA website down at the moment? Cant seem to find it...

does anyone know if there are prerequisites for the WW ultra 51km? on 26th march. as in i have never run this distance and hope to do this race.

There is no prereqs, there are cutoffs built into the race. You must hit certain points by a certain time.

If you have never run this distance there is also the option of doing the trail, which is half the course.

If you want to do the full distance you should recce parts of it so that you are familiar with the route, or run with a group or someone that knows the way. This will benefit you on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

does anyone know if there are prerequisites for the WW ultra 51km?

Been slightly sick in the head usual helps! Also not trying to stick to Enduro... I hear it has severe health implications, such as lack of use of your legs and what not :P

Best of luck at it however!

Good Recce of Howth today -

Short but a nice little run taking in two good climbs - lots of twists and turns so be careful how you go. It should be well marked so as long as you do not cross over red and white tape you should do good.

If people are attending we would be grateful if they could Carpool. Alternatively you could park in near by Dear Park golf course and walk over to the howth GAA club, admiring some of the course as you go.

Should be a good run and turn out. I would recommend fell runners as a minimum. Muddy and slippy in paces. I ran in my speedcross without any difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    Alternatively you could park in near by Deer Park golf course
    Is this arranged or would/do they mind?

What are Enduro points?:D Currently showing on runner profiles on Imra site! Where can they be cashed in?

DETAILS
    Results Recorded:

Current Enduro Points:

Maximum Enduro Points:

Club:
    Boards AC

County:
    Wicklow

Province:
    Leinster

Ireland

It appears to be something to do with overall IMRA ranking :D

How ever, if this is the case, I must demand the Stone Cross to Lug is offically entered :P

• Advertisement

For those not on the IMRA fourm....
    Hi Colm,

It's a potential new metric. A big improvement on percentages. It's temporarily up on the site, pending review.

Basically, An average finishing time is calculated from the race results (but not a simple average... slightly more complex than that, but eliminates outlyer results, like particularly fast or slow runners). That time is equivalent to 1000 points. Your base points are calculated by comparing your race time to the average time. So the faster you finish, the higher you get. If a particularly fast runner turns up, it doesn't effect anyone else's base points (unlike percentage of winning time). But a fast runner does get more points for a faster run, so everyone wins under the system (As opposed to everyone losing under percentage of winning time).

Each race has a difficulty that is worked out from its height gain, distance, and terrain difficulty. This ranges from 0 to 1. A runner gets bonus points (multiplying their base points by the race difficulty) and this is added to their original base points to get their overall race points. So you'll get better race points from longer and hillier races.

Enduro points is the sum of a runner's best 8 Race Points from the last two years. Unlike averages, this can only be improved by finishing a race, and never disimproved. Obviously enough, to maintain high Enduro points you need to keep running races, as races older than 2 years don't count towards your points. You will also get higher points from running longer and hillier races, as the race points from these will be higher.

Calculations have been run across all the historical results in the system. Lots of info there to play with!

That's the quick summary!

Eoin

So Enduro... any chance of getting Stone Cross to Lug included? Considering its open mountain terrain, long, phyisical, challenging, adverse conditions... Its looking like a difficulty of at least 1.7 to me :D

Advertisement