Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Don't forget the icebergs

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Mech1 wrote: »

please no politics in here it was a total breath of fresh air to get away from listening about the imf cowan budget the mess of the economy bla bla bla bull siht
    please lets leave it only as a weather thread and no mention of politics

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

At last, it's possible to walk away from the computer to do some work and not have to spend half the evening catching up on what's been going on in the thread:D

If I get REALLY lucky, I might be able to get up on the roof this weekend to take the weather recorder down from the chimney so that I can get rid of the cobwebs ( I think...hope) that have recently stopped the rain recorder from operating, and replace the duct tape on the wind direction indicator that is holding the vane extension on. Some light oil on the wind speed indicator probably won't do any harm either.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Jaysus ... I hav to say , all these girls that are mad into the weather! , how come none live near me? Ha ,All my friends just laugh at how often I talk about the weather, even when in college (studying CLIMATE SCIENCE) ther wasn't many people as interested in actualy weather events as me! So ye ... We should all meet up some time!! Haha...

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Jaysus ... I hav to say , all these girls that are mad into the weather! , how come none live near me? Ha ,All my friends just laugh at how often I talk about the weather, even when in college (studying CLIMATE SCIENCE) ther wasn't many people as interested in actualy weather events as me! So ye ... We should all meet up some time!! Haha...

New chat up line for ye Ian,' wanna go back to mine and look at the radar ?'
    Swoon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The temperature hovered close to zero and below in some parts all day, and
    with some places forecasted to get snow tonight, it is premature to say the cold spell has fizzled out.
    It will get that bit milder tomorrow, but in normal winters we'd be describing temperatures of 2- 4 degrees throughout much of the country as cold weather.
    But it's 2-4c now and that's at night, what will it be tomorrow? I'd say around 8c in the west and 5-6c in the east. This thread should be closed NOW if you ask me. The unusually early arrival winter 2010/11 is history now and something to tell our kids/grandkids about someday maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

But it's 2-4c now and that's at night, what will it be tomorrow? I'd say around 8c in the west and 5-6c in the east. This thread should be closed NOW if you ask me. The unusually early arrival winter 2010/11 is history now and something to tell our kids/grandkids about someday maybe.

met.ie:
    Frosty and icy Saturday morning with freezing fog. Further showery rain and sleet over the southern half of the country with some snow in places inland and on higher ground. Brighter weather in northern areas will extend to all areas during the afternoon. Highest temperatures of 0 to 3 degrees generally, but up to 6 or 7 near west and southwest coasts.

Jake1 wrote: »
    New chat up line for ye Ian,' wanna go back to mine and look at the radar ?'
    Swoon :)

No no .... If anything it would be.... "So, .... Wanna come back to mine to look at my weather station? , ...., complete wit thermometer, wind vane and rain gauge. " . Hahaha...

No no .... If anything it would be.... "So, .... Wanna come back to mine to look at my weather station? , ...., complete wit thermometer, wind vane and rain gauge. " . Hahaha...

Ah, now, if you said that to a girl , youd better be prepared to put a ring on it :)

I keep looking at raintoday radar, and codding meself more snow is moving across the country. I really need to get treatment for snow addiction.
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

met.ie:
    Frosty and icy Saturday morning with freezing fog. Further showery rain and sleet over the southern half of the country with some snow in places inland and on higher ground. Brighter weather in northern areas will extend to all areas during the afternoon. Highest temperatures of 0 to 3 degrees generally, but up to 6 or 7 near west and southwest coasts.[/QUOTE
    I'd love to agree with you but I've just been outside and it seems to be thawing even more than it was during daylight hours. There seems to be even more puddles and dripping going on.
    Some of the charts I've seen today showed a little warm sector over the south of the country, it has probably moved further north than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

I keep looking at raintoday radar, and codding meself more snow is moving across the country. I really need to get treatment for snow addiction.

I noticed tonight I still walk by the front door and peer out at the lamp post........I think I need help!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

The backgarden last night about 12ish. That's either God or ET glowing down the end. Or the neighbours gaf whatever

138067.JPG

Ah, now, if you said that to a girl , youd better be prepared to put a ring on it :)

Ehhhhh... Huh? ... Ha

Right Ok next full moon is the 21st , I really want to look into the effects of full moons on weather. I'll hav a look on Met Ed ... :)

Jake1 , I know how u feel, I couldve gone mad at the RADAR ( :) ) seeing the front coming in from the west breaking up just as it hit the east coast , specifically north Dublin! Ha

Ehhhhh... Huh? ... Ha

Right Ok next full moon is the 21st , I really want to look into the effects of full moons on weather. I'll hav a look on Met Ed ... :)

Jake1 , I know how u feel, I couldve gone mad at the RADAR ( :) ) seeing the front coming in from the west breaking up just as it hit the east coast , specifically north Dublin! Ha

Not long now anyway till MT's forecast of possible wintry storm 21 dec-ish :)

bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I feel your pain......it's start off with odd weather forecast after the news and before you know it your waking in the middle of the night and checking the dp on the m2 buoy off howth on met.ie......think we should start a 12 step programe.......keep well brother.

Does anyone know a reliable temp for Clondalkin at the moment? Outside is very slushy and I'm afraid of it freezing over. It was hard enough walking on the paths in snow, icy snow is asking for trouble.

Im away to my leaba to catch up on all the lost sleep due to the aul snow addiction :)

Wake up to a bitterly cold day :) :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Apparently the only place in Ireland with no snow whatsoever is Coleraine :-(

Never thought I'd say it but I missed owenc around the place.

Are we there yet, are we there yet?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

@ Elmer Blooker
    Well Dublin has its heat island effect so it maybe warmer than anticipated there. in any case even a slight rise in temperature in the capital will increase the rate of thaw. Across much of the country, except for the west and southwest, temperatures are hovering close to zero or well below in some places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

met.ie:
    Frosty and icy Saturday morning with freezing fog. Further showery rain and sleet over the southern half of the country with some snow in places inland and on higher ground. Brighter weather in northern areas will extend to all areas during the afternoon. Highest temperatures of 0 to 3 degrees generally, but up to 6 or 7 near west and southwest coasts.[/QUOTE
    I'd love to agree with you but I've just been outside and it seems to be thawing even more than it was during daylight hours. There seems to be even more puddles and dripping going on.
    Some of the charts I've seen today showed a little warm sector over the south of the country, it has probably moved further north than expected.
    its frosty in Waterford city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Completely off topic but I don't miss anyone or anything who disrupts the forum with childish rants and nagging questions...:o

Also, I really hit the message about the M2 buoy home too hard! I was using it as a guide to when showers were going to turn wintry again in Dublin city centre over Monday and Tuesday, and it was a pretty reliable short-notice gauge of when the transition to snow was going to happen:p

Spending ages looking at NAE and ECMWF and GFS models took up so much of my time, and as for the radar and sat24... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Raining in Galway :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Im away to my leaba to catch up on all the lost sleep due to the aul snow addiction :)

Wake up to a bitterly cold day :) :eek::eek:
    yeah feckin wrecked meself,tis worth it though.

And yes i too am surprised at all the ladies mad into weather.maybe there in hiding outside of this safe haven:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

well looks like things are starting to thaw here, thermometer saying 2 degrees but feels a hell of a lot colder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

jaysus. us western folk sat here all week chatting to the dub folk about ur snow, and now as soon as theres a little thaw, you're all up and leaving us! Its still gonna be icy for days yet, ye'd swear the forum was shutting down the way ye're all saying goodbyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Raining very heavy here in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A point that I think Met Eireann are failing to get across is the fact that you can still have ice with temps several degrees above zero. A lot of newer cars now have temp gauges and people assume if its reading 2 or 3C that they are quite safe. Like last year cold is now gone deep into the ground and it will pbly take a day or two of temps above 8C to get a proper thaw. Therefore for the foreseeable we will have to endure likely frozen paths and back roads by day and by night.

Of course the opposite is also true, we got rain today in Cork with a start temp of -3. We know the reason why but the general folk must be very confused.

Cork is fully frozen over tonight be interesting to see what happens after the rain falls again later

zuroph wrote: »
    jaysus. us western folk sat here all week chatting to the dub folk about ur snow, and now as soon as theres a little thaw, you're all up and leaving us! Its still gonna be icy for days yet, ye'd swear the forum was shutting down the way ye're all saying goodbyes!

I'm still here :) I just didn't want to drift (geddit???) off without saying thank you :)

• Advertisement

TFK wrote: »
    Does anyone know a reliable temp for Clondalkin at the moment? Outside is very slushy and I'm afraid of it freezing over. It was hard enough walking on the paths in snow, icy snow is asking for trouble.

Well according to my WEATHER STATION :D it's 1.7 C , so ye wet snow/ice .. Quite the sleepy indeed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement