Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish1967 wrote: »
    Another thing that amazed me was the amount of young posters who had never witnessed a proper lightening storm.

(Fondly remembers THE lightening storm 25th July 1985) Look it up if you don't remember it. Now that was lightening !!

I'd completely forgotten that.

Thanks for that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

inabina wrote: »
    a sense that its all over....all good things come to an end (still thawing here)

sniff...
    sob. 'till next week then ;)

Seriously thanks weather forum regulars; ye very patient. Actually learnt a few things: thunder snow is kool, graupel has feelings too, and oh inside all of us is a teeny tiny snowman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

And igloos are going very cheaply in sandyford at the moment. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Sorry if this has already been asked. But where can one purchase a startup home weather station kit and what would people recommend?.

Like may I have never been that interested in the weather but the threads over the last week have seeded an interest I would like to keep up.

Thawing slightly here in Kilcullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Light rain here most of evening and feels almost balmy outside relative to recent days. Drip, drip, drip as an OP already said! Was great whilst the snow lasted but still have to contend with the compacted ice on the pavements - nasty slippy surface. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I've seen quite a few lightning storms in west Donegal, didnt think they were that rare. There was an amazing one about 5 years back with massive fork lightning every 30 seconds or so and a strike hit about 20 metres from where I was standing. It was in the middle of summer yet we still got hail

As for the weather, all over here as well it seems. There's been really noticable thaw today for the first time all week, pavements have now turned to compacted slush which is going to be annoying in the coming week. I'd rather it all just melt tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Do you think that Dublin Bus will pull all its services like it did on Wednesday tomorrow? The ones that say operating as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Do you think that Dublin Bus will pull all its services like it did on Wednesday tomorrow? The ones that say operating as normal?

the roads are lethal :( I would'nt say so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

And igloos are going very cheaply in sandyford at the moment. ;)

igloo ghost estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just back from blanch to navan after a night out and the M3 is totally clear all the way, nicely gritted with no snow/ice on either lane altho its still on the verges and hard shoulder.

slightly disappointed that the fasttrack lane of the etoll was closed tho as i just got my first ever tag and was hoping to test it out. still works on the regular barriers tho, but like the geek i am i wanted to test how fast i could go though it. :)

the N3 was pretty iced over tho, which made it slightly ropey after we came off the motorway but its still drivable. i imagine its either going to stay where it is if the cold keeps up, or either thaw out ot get washed away depending on how the weather goes.

actually, just checked raintoday and there's a big 'something' heading toward the midlands now, not sure if its rain or snow (probably rain at this stage), but i guess time will tell.

it could well be that its already been discussed, but i'm too pissed and too tired to check. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

What an end to Novemeber and what a start to the winter. it's a bit mild and murky out there now (coastal west waterford) but we got our few inches and while it was on the ground it made the whole place look wonderful.

My heating oil ran out, my gas fire became deeply unhappy, my water pipes froze for a bit and my wastewater treatment system gave up completely. But I won't remember those things. I'll remember what snow in the countryside looks like.

I'm just a big kid at heart and I have no intention of changing.

Bring on the rest of the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

-0.6c here and freezing fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Raining here, happy that it'll melt the snow but the ice will be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

giggsirish wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked. But where can one purchase a startup home weather station kit and what would people recommend?.

I'll ask this question too.

I'd like something that can give me as much info as possible. All the better if it can measure dew point.

I've a fairly accurate set up in the house which does a good job of measuring temperature, relative humidity and pressure but I'd like to have something that can report outside conditions with little wiring.

Any advice guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

East Galway is back to green again this morning after a heavy rain shower at 01.50 - the snow was beautiful but made life a little difficult :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well its thawing here in Finglas, but the roads and paths are still frozen solid, and are like wet glass - so be careful out there guys!

One danger I was abruptly alerted to earlier - snow/ice falling from your roof. If you're standing near a building, and you here a slight crack - MOVE FAST! A huge lump of ice fell from my roof, and crashed to the ground beside me - frightened the crap out of me, but could have seriously injured someone!

So is the snow gone forever? Or might we have more to come over the weekend / next week?

ME radar shows some precipitation approaching Dublin. With the current temp at +1ºC, what's that chance of snow?

Will it just be rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 snowww

I'm in castledermot and I still have bout 7 inches of snow and it seems to be freezing not going away it will be another while until it goes here I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭squonk

crosstownk wrote: »
    ME radar shows some precipitation approaching Dublin. With the current temp at +1ºC, what's that chance of snow?

Will it just be rain?

Rain! Don't think the conditions are allowing for anything else right now. Here it's 1.3deg C with a DP of 1 so I certainly know what I'm going to get. Even further inland it could be marginal now with just maybe sleet.

squonk wrote: »
    Rain! Don't think the conditions are allowing for anything else right now. Here it's 1.3deg C with a DP of 1 so I certainly know what I'm going to get. Even further inland it could be marginal now with just maybe sleet.

Thanks. I kinda thought as much. I wasn't aware of the current DP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

So is the snow gone forever? Or might we have more to come over the weekend / next week?

+1 anyone have any leads as to what's expected in the next week? :)
    more snow for the east? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Yeah gone forever. Was just listening to CNN there and apparently it's been declared extinct.

http://www.decatur.de/javascript/dew/index.html

Pretty cool.

Took temp and humidity from Met.ie latest reports (I used Dub Airport).

Gave me a Dew Point of 0.

I left the humidity accuracy at 3%.

Meteorologists - is this accurate? So for amateur who couldn't be bothered working it out for themselves, use the readings from your weather station, and voila :)

Don't know if its of use to anyone, but thought I'd post it anyway :)

Night all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Well its thawing here in Finglas, but the roads and paths are still frozen solid, and are like wet glass - so be careful out there guys!

One danger I was abruptly alerted to earlier - snow/ice falling from your roof. If you're standing near a building, and you here a slight crack - MOVE FAST! A huge lump of ice fell from my roof, and crashed to the ground beside me - frightened the crap out of me, but could have seriously injured someone!

Just back from a night out and this happened at the pub, all the snow slid off the roof down on the smoking area, people covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

newbridge.....raining a bit, snowing thawing too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Seems that is that now with the big freeze, Atlantic is back in play now. Fun while it lasted, back to the miserable rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

snaps wrote: »
    Seems that is that now with the big freeze, Atlantic is back in play now. Fun while it lasted, back to the miserable rain now.

It was fun while it lasted! It's actually amazing how much it's all thawed in just one day..

I'll keep fingers crossed for a change in the winds but i think the momentum is with the winds coming from the Atlantic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

http://www.decatur.de/javascript/dew/index.html

Pretty cool.

Took temp and humidity from Met.ie latest reports (I used Dub Airport).

Gave me a Dew Point of 0.

I left the humidity accuracy at 3%.

Meteorologists - is this accurate? So for amateur who couldn't be bothered working it out for themselves, use the readings from your weather station, and voila :)

Don't know if its of use to anyone, but thought I'd post it anyway :)

Night all!!

Just get the airport DP here-

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EIDW

Edit: It doesn't in fact decode the DP for you so you need to self-decode it from the raw data. It's the part highlighted in bold below, in format TEMP/DP - so below, temp 01, DP 01. If it's ever minus, it'll show MXX, for example temp or 1C with DP of -3C it would read 01/M03.

EIDW 040430Z 24006KT 9999 -RASN FEW022 BKN026 BKN120 01/01 Q1001 NOSIG 10190095

sdonn wrote: »
    Just get the airport DP here-

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EIDW

Edit: It doesn't in fact decode the DP for you so you need to self-decode it from the raw data. It's the part highlighted in bold below, in format TEMP/DP - so below, temp 01, DP 01. If it's ever minus, it'll show MXX, for example temp or 1C with DP of -3C it would read 01/M03.

EIDW 040430Z 24006KT 9999 -RASN FEW022 BKN026 BKN120 01/01 Q1001 NOSIG 10190095

allmetsat gives a different humidity reading (slightly) to the weather station at Dub Airport..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Cold airflow returned here in the past hour. You can see from the raintoday radar, draw a line just north of Galway along to north of Dublin, south of that line the airflow is SW. North of that Line the airflow is NW-N. At 4.30 this morning it was 2.1c, its now just dipped beneath 0c now (-0.1c)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement