Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Raining and sleeting here in D. 15. Still very cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yep, I'm in Dublin 15 too and have had enough to be honest! Walking to work this morning I nearly fell on my arse quite a few times. Almost all of the footpaths are lethal and I resorted to walking on the roads for most of my walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

if you run some twine around your shoes and through the holes it will stop you from slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mal48

Good morning,
    It would appear that the weather has had an effect on jobs and shops - Let us all make that extra effort to buy Irish during the coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Raining in Dublin 6 at the moment. The cars don't appear to have frozen over last night but that could be something to do with the rain. Still amazing how much snow is around and it will take weeks to clear given the freezing weather that persists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

sillymoo wrote: »
    East Galway is back to green again this morning after a heavy rain shower at 01.50 - the snow was beautiful but made life a little difficult :)

Here in East Galway and it is WHITE this morning with fog!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

JJJJNR wrote: »
    if you run some twine around your shoes and through the holes it will stop you from slipping.

Seemingly if you put socks over your shoes/boots, this stops you slip sliding away! Mind you, I could have done with this tip yesterday, getting of a plane in Dublin Airport (just before the airport closed AGAIN) as coming down the steps was LETHAL and then plunging your feet into about 3 inches of SLUSH...ugh! I never saw any place as bad as Dublin yesterday after being out of the country for a week. Had to abandon car and take the train west!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Quick look outside and we are still covered in snow. There doesn't appear to be a thaw here........ yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

No thaw here in Cavan. Looks the exact same as yesterday. I am meant to be driving down to Dublin this afternoon. Does anybody know what the M3/Navan Road is like. Dont want to do the drive if I have to turn back half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

Any idea what Dublin is like right now? My husband just landed at Dublin airport, his car has been in the long term car park for a week and he will be heading down the M7/M8. I can't wait to see him but am thinking that he will have a slow trip down.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

Awake to a lovely fresh morning here in Ballinteer, D16. No idea what the temp is - a few above freezing I'd say. Yesterday's partially made igloo is leaning over in places - shoddy workmanship if I say so myself!!
    Back garden still looking like a winter wonderland as we've done all our playing out front and haven't so much as set foot in the back garden all week.
    Am planning on staching some of the snow in the freezer because - damn it - I WILL have snow for Christmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

CeNedra wrote: »
    Any idea what Dublin is like right now? My husband just landed at Dublin airport, his car has been in the long term car park for a week and he will be heading down the M7/M8. I can't wait to see him but am thinking that he will have a slow trip down.....

I landed in Dublin last Monday and conditions were obviously not as bad then. The long term car parks were not treated but are definitely driveable with caution. He will probably have a bit of digging around the wheels to get out but should otherwise be fine. Approach roads to the airport are not too bad at all and traffic will be light.

Will be a bit of a pain clearing snow from the car but he should otherwise be fine. There is a breakdown rescue service in the car parks as well that may have a shovel if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Still Snow here in Kilkenny temp according to NRA +0.2c. Sky is very grey looking! But it will probably fall as rain, or is just cloud cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

One thing is certain however. With the metres of snow that have fallen in the Dublin/Wicklow biggrin.gifmountains over the past week and a bit there will definitely be loads of snow around for Christmas and well into the New Year. Higher up this stuff will remain thick and deep until around March I would say. It is still snowing by the way in the Dub/Wicklow mountains:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

Its raining in West Wicklow at moment big thaw on

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Big thaw in North Tipp, roads appear to be in good condition, all car windows clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Leixlip.Fine drizzle but only round 2degrees ...not a BIG thaw at all...roads and foot paths VERY slippery ...No guarantee people will be in any better position transport wise Monday Id say ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

looks like the thaw is underway in navan too, that persistent drip drip drip from gutter etc. already and some of the snowy footprints have green under them already. :(

its been great to have it and i guess its not the last snow we'll see this xmas season tho, so just look forward to the next lot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Thaw on her in the sense that it's raining. Footpaths are treacherous however, with light rain failling.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

A definite thaw on here in D13, too, with some light rain falling to help it along. I haven't been out of the estate yet, but the road out in front of me looks like it's been worn down to an ice layer. The cars are starting to make slushy noises now, so hopefully that will start melting, too. The footpath outside has about 6 inches of compacted snow on it, but what I can see of a busier road looks bloody icy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Thaw has resumed here after a cold frosty night. Will have to reinforce the snowmen if i want them to last much longer!! Still have a more or less full covering on the ground though.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Light rain/drizzle here. Main roads ok but the little road outside our house was a real challenge for the taxi driver who called this am. Pavements treacherous. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

mvron wrote: »
    Light rain/drizzle here. Main roads ok but the little road outside our house was a real challenge for the taxi driver who called this am. Pavements treacherous. :(

Similar in D12. Main roads are clean as a whistle but roads in estates are ice. If you can, clear your pavement. If nothing else it will give people walking a respite if the neighbours can't be ar$ed clearing their pavement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Big thaw on here now and im glad it's all over 'for now' because life has to get back to normality. Still about 5/6 inchs of snow outside, I guess it will be on the ground for a few more days, maybe even another week before it finally dissapears. I get the feeling this is not the last of the snow we've seen as Winter just started a few days ago! It can snow up to April and were only the on the first few days of December so thats at least 4 months of snow watching to come.

edit * hmm thaw just stopped here again have freezing fog now*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Lots of snow here but a lovely thaw is happening, long may it continue....the thaw that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

This thaw wont last long......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Getting very foggy here in Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Temp has gone up to 2c but a fairly heavy fog seems to be descending here in Lucan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Thaw ? Hmmm could take a while !

ecbdac9f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

lord lucan wrote: »
    Temp has gone up to 2c but a fairly heavy fog seems to be descending here in Lucan!

Same in Maynooth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement