Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tullow: 10 mins ago
    streetq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Just curious.
    Heard, in passing, a comment on the radio this morning about some woman whose husband has been preoccupied over the last 2-3 days with keeping close to a window 'to check out' what was happening outside. Seemingly, she wasn't too impressed at the extent to which she was being overlooked in favour of the effing weather.
    I'm a husband and I can relate to this. I've found it difficult to fathom why my wife doesn't want to LOOK AT THE CLOUDS!
    Is it a bloke thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Villain wrote: »
    streetq.jpg

WOW! Expecting to see zombies ramble by any second.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭96blsh

thanks to everyone for all the info. I was able to relay the info to the guys in the school I work in and this help them make decisions about what to do. So thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

raining up here (donegal town) at the moment side roads still trecherous

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Jesus we haven't heard that one before...

naaaahhhhhhh, let's have the 2011 version :D

Those who can't teach, TEACH Teachers.

Those who can't teach teachers.....................

become POLITICIANS.:mad:

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

cranks wrote: »
    Just curious.
    Heard, in passing, a comment on the radio this morning about some woman whose husband has been preoccupied over the last 2-3 days with keeping close to a window 'to check out' what was happening outside. Seemingly, she wasn't too impressed at the extent to which she was being overlooked in favour of the effing weather.
    I'm a husband and I can relate to this. I've found it difficult to fathom why my wife doesn't want to LOOK AT THE CLOUDS!
    Is it a bloke thing?
    not at all, I'm female and I immensely enjoy watching the clouds and such things ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Ginny wrote: »
    Anyone know what the M7 is like around Monestervin?
    I'm assuming its icy enough?

Its trecherous, drove Monasterevin to Naas about an hour ago. Black ice the whole way and only one lane usable at times. Back of the car was sliding all over the place. Heavy fog in places as well.

Be very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Major thaw set in here this afternoon,temp still hovering between 1 & 2c. Things starting to get back to something resembling normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Just curious.
    Is it a bloke thing?

Nope, not just a bloke thing! My hubby told our daughter yesterday morning that the snowfall was just gonna be a shower. She promptly told him - "no, mammy said it's down for the day coz that's what she read on the Boards:D"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

fizzycyst wrote: »
    not at all, I'm female and I immensely enjoy watching the clouds and such things ;)

same as that although I think we may be a minority!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

Freezing fog here in east cork. it doesnt feel very cold, but the slush has frozen and left the place like glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

As far as the thanks go, right back at ya, weather forum contributors ...

This point will be made again later this month (wait and see) but my approach to the forecasting on here is to try to blend in as much of the forum knowledge and expertise (of which there is quite a lot, won't give names because I'm sure to overlook one or two) as possible, so I do spend time scouring the threads for whatever insight or reported information I can find.

For example, I noted yesterday that some of the Cork posters were talking about freezing rain and this sort of confirmed my theoretical hunch that freezing rain might enter the mix and maybe around that distance inland too. I think there was some rather ironic exchanges about this earlier today on the thread, but in fact I did mention freezing rain for Cork on the forecast and in some other places and gave a "hat tip" to the poster(s) who were predicting that outcome.

Could also say, some of these more marginal situations are a situation where you have to try to give a wide range of outcomes knowing that the system will tend to deliver sporadic results, like this one today did -- one place would get the full service and another place half service, so we're going to have to get used to that in the next week, I think, with this transitional pattern setting up -- it won't really be mild by Irish standards, but it won't be as cold as the last week, yet there's still lots of snow in east-central counties and any clearing of skies at night will easily lead to -8 or -10 C temperatures returning there. Quite often the coldest nights come when the uppers are not all that cold (inversions in other words).

These threads have all been a blast, if somewhat difficult to keep up with, and I thank you for so many valuable reports and ideas -- this is what makes a weather forum work best, when people can come in and get both a forecast and a lot of input about details, events and real-time reports. And it's not necessarily in some sort of contest with Met-E because really the forecasts aren't always that different, but the forum's capacity to deliver real-time reporting is a whole new dimension for the general public, just imagine how many people would be logged on here if they had the internet back in 1982 or 1947 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

It's raining heavily now in Dingle town,Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Villain wrote: »
    streetq.jpg

How many inches you get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Just curious.
    Is it a bloke thing?

Well I'm a girl and I've been sky watching, cloud watching and thread watching :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

thanks MT, I look forward to your posts every day, I'll be keeping my eye on December 20-21st :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

4Sheets wrote: »
    How many inches you get there?
    Had 15 inches Wed night, has compacted with forst now back to 12 inches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

TFK wrote: »
    Well I'm a girl and I've been sky watching, cloud watching and thread watching :)

me too. been refreshing these threads constantly for the past few days. we had very little actual snow here, but i loved hearing about it in the rest of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Apologies if this has been thought of by 50 other people on unread pages of this thread but I've just realised what all us who come here only when snow threatens are - foul weather friends :D

Thanks to all the regulars, here's to the next time :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

As far as the thanks go, right back at ya, weather forum contributors ...

This point will be made again later this month (wait and see) but my approach to the forecasting on here is to try to blend in as much of the forum knowledge and expertise (of which there is quite a lot, won't give names because I'm sure to overlook one or two) as possible, so I do spend time scouring the threads for whatever insight or reported information I can find.

For example, I noted yesterday that some of the Cork posters were talking about freezing rain and this sort of confirmed my theoretical hunch that freezing rain might enter the mix and maybe around that distance inland too. I think there was some rather ironic exchanges about this earlier today on the thread, but in fact I did mention freezing rain for Cork on the forecast and in some other places and gave a "hat tip" to the poster(s) who were predicting that outcome.

Could also say, some of these more marginal situations are a situation where you have to try to give a wide range of outcomes knowing that the system will tend to deliver sporadic results, like this one today did -- one place would get the full service and another place half service, so we're going to have to get used to that in the next week, I think, with this transitional pattern setting up -- it won't really be mild by Irish standards, but it won't be as cold as the last week, yet there's still lots of snow in east-central counties and any clearing of skies at night will easily lead to -8 or -10 C temperatures returning there. Quite often the coldest nights come when the uppers are not all that cold (inversions in other words).

These threads have all been a blast, if somewhat difficult to keep up with, and I thank you for so many valuable reports and ideas -- this is what makes a weather forum work best, when people can come in and get both a forecast and a lot of input about details, events and real-time reports. And it's not necessarily in some sort of contest with Met-E because really the forecasts aren't always that different, but the forum's capacity to deliver real-time reporting is a whole new dimension for the general public, just imagine how many people would be logged on here if they had the internet back in 1982 or 1947 for example.

thanks m.t. for all your very useful input and information about the weather i am totally amazed on how accurate you have been with your forecasts and i will be keeping an eye on any posts you make in the future i will also be keeping an eye out on the 19th-21st of December to see what comes about at that time :):):):):)

and to all the other weather watchers thanks for the all the crack banter and information and hopefully we will get more snow soon enough to get the ball rolling all over again its back to the missus now because she feels that i was having some sort of dirty affair with all the weather watchers on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I just want to say that i had a bit of a moan earlier bout todays front not producing the goods for me,well it eventually did and gave a top up of 3cm.I called it the culprit cause i was showing some friend on facebook where it was coming from.

138051.JPG

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Just curious.
    Is it a bloke thing?

nope, i am a girl and bf thinks i have had some sort of mental breakdown over the last week :)

it all started here last friday when i sat up until 2am hitting f5 when he had gone to bed hours before.

it was great to be able to say to him - its not hailstones, its graupel and we are not getting any snow tonight, as we are in the shadow of the isle of man unless the wind direction changes - he was just :confused::confused:

i want a weather station for christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Apparently the only place in Ireland with no snow whatsoever is Coleraine :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Just curious.
    Is it a bloke thing?

Thought it was just me.my phone is full of pictures of the sky and clouds (never the same in photos).....i'm forever point out how awsome the sky or clouds are to the gril friend....she gets it but not in the same way....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

I have hardly moved from the laptop checking in on all your posts for the past few days and I must say have thoroughly enjoyed it but more importantly have been able to plan for my kids and work and life on the basis of the forecasts etc. I have learned so much as others have noted from i om shadows to streamers to graupel ...at one point we lost broadband due to the lightning and I was devastated!!! total addiction. My husband has started calling me a nerd. Ye really removed me from previous depressing economic imf addiction...I obviously am a disaster junkie....well done to ye all and thank you.....I supposed next car crash will be the budget...unless winds change???:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hush. In the future we will tell our new friends The Ballad of Owen C.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

If there is a winter storm on December 21st, I will most likely spend my birthday alone :( I shall most likely be stranded in Dublin, as I have an exam on the 22nd :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Apparently the only place in Ireland with no snow whatsoever is Coleraine :-(

Don't be ridiculous, in coleraine they were measuring the snow in yards and furlongs, not feet and inches . . .

Absolute zero was reached for the first time ever on the hills behind coleraine . . .:rolleyes::P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement