Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

TFK wrote: »
    Does anyone know a reliable temp for Clondalkin at the moment? Outside is very slushy and I'm afraid of it freezing over. It was hard enough walking on the paths in snow, icy snow is asking for trouble.

Lucan is currently at 2c so i'd say Clondalkin should be near enough the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

@ Elmer Blooker
    Well Dublin has its heat island effect so it maybe warmer than anticipated there. in any case even a slight rise in temperature in the capital will increase the rate of thaw. Across much of the country, except for the west and southwest, temperatures are hovering close to zero or well below in some places.
    ME reports show that Mullingar is the only station reporting a sub zero temperature at the moment (-2)
    It's interesting to note that the temperature in Dublin (+2c) with a westerly airflow across the snowfields of Leinster is the same as Malin Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Would just like to say before the night is gone, that i really enjoyed reading and contributing to the snow threads over the past week and that you have all given me a new interest in Meteorology and hope to become a regular in here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

Definate thaw in D24. All the snow off the roof has just fallen onto the ground. Sounded like a herd of elephants trampling outside the front door:eek:

Now instead of having a clear path that we cleared today, we have a snow hill made up of snow, ice and all the sh!t out of the gutters!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Freezing fog here in Edenderry bloody cold out and plenty snow still on the ground. Snow on the ground since Saturday morning and more than likely be no thaw for a few more day yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

Thawing noticeably in city centre and D8 too, although still plenty of lying snow and compacted ice. Hopefully it'll all either thaw fast and feck off or else the northeasterly pattern will reestablish and we'll get the proper nice snow back :)

I'm confused. Can someone explain to me in two lines or less (or more) :) how this all suddenly came to an end today? ME were saying yesterday there was no thaw in sight. I don't get it at all. Are we (Ireland) still going to get snow showers like the past week but just none like last night again or what?

Really confused.

What basically ended it?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

As I understand it the winds have shifted to a more westerly direction, bringing air that's been warmed up by the Atlantic. I believe that's due to change back to a more northerly airflow bringing temps back down again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ME reports show that Mullingar is the only station reporting a sub zero temperature at the moment (-2)
    It's interesting to note that the temperature in Dublin (+2c) with a westerly airflow across the snowfields of Leinster is the same as Malin Head.

well, quite a few places are hovering close to zero or below if you look at the ireland weather network site. in any case i did say temperatures were close to zero rather than below, with some places well below.

it's not all that surprising dublin is at 2c given the airflow. also the heat island effect, even with snowfields, can have a significant impact particularly the closer you live to the center of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

_whiskers wrote: »
    Would just like to say before the night is gone, that i really enjoyed reading and contributing to the snow threads over the past week and that you have all given me a new interest in Meteorology and hope to become a regular in here! :)

Dito

• Advertisement

All these "end of tomorrow" type posts with the "goodbyes and thanks etc" are freaking me out! From what I understand, this just means the current snowfall is going to melt but it doesn't rule out more snow in a weeks time when temps go low ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

All these "end of tomorrow" type posts with the "goodbyes and thanks etc" are freaking me out! From what I understand, this just means the current snowfall is going to melt but it doesn't rule out more snow in a weeks time when temps go low ?

well temperatures are due to rise mid-week after the weak northerly is cut off by a high pressure moving close to us. if as suggested by the models that pushes a bit furthers westwards, it should allow a colder northerly airflow to become established. hopefully it may happen sooner than suggested by the models

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Ah, not saying goodbye, only saying thanks! I've seen lots of different fora where newbies are treated like invaders of the clique, so it's been very pleasant to be able to post and ask questions here without feeling like that:D

Anyway....just learned a new phrase "heat island" so will be missing for a few hours tomorrow but will be checking back in then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

*Charges out the door armed with a snow shovel* gwan SCHOO feck off snow... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Another thing that amazed me was the amount of young posters who had never witnessed a proper lightening storm.

(Fondly remembers THE lightening storm 25th July 1985) Look it up if you don't remember it. Now that was lightening !!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

irish1967 wrote: »
    Another thing that amazed me was the amount of young posters who had never witnessed a proper lightening storm.

(Fondly remembers THE lightening storm 25th July 1985) Look it up if you don't remember it. Now that was lightening !!

Was that the crazy fork lightning one?

Fork and sheet. Wouldn't be surprised if there was even ball lightening that night !!

latest_radar.gif

Will any of this fall as snow tonight? And how far east will it come.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Oh how Id love too see ball lightning. Friend of mine witnessed it several timed. Said it was the strangest thing they've ever encountered.

Possibly in the coldest midland areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭finbarrk

4 c here in West Clare now with a soft rain falling.

I remember when I lived in the states. I used to watch all the thunder and lightening storms. Locals were like... Hmmm strange Irish guy. Must never have seen a storm before. Lol

Currently 2c. Wind 6mph from the west. Slight drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

the thaw continues. 2.9C, drip drip drip. this is depressing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

-3 kilkenny, but i cant see this falling as snow,, rain rain rain i bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Jake1 wrote: »
    Im away to my leaba to catch up on all the lost sleep due to the aul snow addiction :)

Wake up to a bitterly cold day :) :eek::eek:

ha ha me too, serious lack of sleepsville here! 37 and still have vague memories of '82... best winter ever!
    will miss y'all tho... ye kept me laughing over the past few days, whilst marooned bored and "working from home" :)

p.s. thundersnow rocks

Aykina wrote: »
    ha ha me too, serious lack of sleepsville here! 37 and still have vague memories of '82... best winter ever!
    will miss y'all tho... ye kept me laughing over the past few days, whilst marooned bored and "working from home" :)

p.s. thundersnow rocks

a sense that its all over....all good things come to an end (still thawing here)

demakinz wrote: »
    latest_radar.gif

Will any of this fall as snow tonight? And how far east will it come.

not a hope, its balmy. bring back the easterlys

I remember when I lived in the states. I used to watch all the thunder and lightening storms. Locals were like... Hmmm strange Irish guy. Must never have seen a storm before. Lol

I seen one in Bundoran last year from the car park looking down on the beach. It came down the mountain and passed out to sea. Amazing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

i've only seen one lightning storm ever, was about 10 years ago was very young, was really great only time i've ever seen fork lightning in my life. Have seen the odd bit of sheet lightning since, and had a lot of thunder in france over the summer but haven't seen a lightning storm. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement