Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Draft discussion ***EVERYBODY READ POST 965***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Gerard.C wrote: »
    +1 from me, I would have liked to do a trade or two last year buy I had plans for everyone by the time the trade round came about

interesting! I thought it's pretty mental to do shows without a finalized roster; i could only properly map out a TV show with all my cards on the table. It also afforded me to use wrestlers I traded in earlier shows (and on the main show) as fodder/impetus for a match down the line.

I only also finalized the main event after the trade window lol. It was originally gonna be Angle/Devitt or Angle/KENTA I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I remember people were reluctant to trade as it was so late in the game. It should certainly be earlier next time.

How about at the halfway mark?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

feel foolish now as i checked the OP of the picking thread not the discussion thread, here were the rules as of the last draft:
    Rules:

- You have 24 hours to make your pick. If you miss your pick you will have to wait until after number 20 has chosen to make your pick. You will be PM'd about your missed pick and if you miss your pick twice, you will be eliminated from the contest. Your roster will then be either given to a reserve, or the roster will be divided up in a later round.

- If you are banned, for any length of time, during the draft, you will be eliminated from the contest. Your roster will then be either given to a reserve, or the roster will be divied up in a later round.

- In the game no wrestler can be chosen twice. For example, if someone selects Stone Cold then Stone Cold is no longer available for anybody else!

- Each person makes fifteen picks over fifteen rounds. One choice per round. Everyone gets their turn. Tag Teams come as a package so for example if you want the Dudleys then you don't have to pick Bubba one round and then D-Von the next. There are rules to adhere to for tag teams which are stated below:

- Cannot have a world champion in them ie no DX or Hart Foundation
    - Must have tagged together for at least 3 months
    - Inter gender tag teams not allowed
    - Members of factions, ie Saturn and Malenko, are not deemed valid picks as they are not classed as legit tag teams under the criteria for the game.

World Titles:
    World titles are considered as the following:
    WWE, World Heavyweight Title/WCW, TNA and NWA

(Note: For the benefit of the game as a whole and to reflect the realistic loss in prestige of the NWA Title, only holders of the NWA Title up until the WCW World Championship came into use will be regarded as World Champions for the purposes of the game. )

Eligible Promotions:
    WWE, TNA, ROH, anything historically going under the NWA banner.

Time Frame:
    No professional debuts pre 1970 are eligible. There will be a round for pre 1970 picks. There will also be a celeb round where celebs who have appeared on wrestling TV are elibible for picks.

- To determine wrestler debuts we will use Wikipedia as in previous years. If you feel the Wikipedia entry is incorrect you can PM me or one of the mods to state your case.

- people who would be considerd Celebs more so than wrestlers are only eligable to be drafted in the special celeb round and not in any other round

- Dark matches and try out matches will not be valid cases this year for selecting a wrestler.

- Managers and female wrestlers are eligible if people wish to pick them. Commentators have not been included in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

ECW wasn't eligible last year? Thought it was :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I can't participate this year (and I never finish anyway for some reason despite my love) but I think it'd be interesting if you could mix it up this year by having two distinct groups, entertainment and workrate and after like round 4 having each person declare for one side and then have people vote for the winner of each section and then maybe have the two winners face off.

Personally I found all the comedy stuff and the ingenious gimmick match ups last year far more entertaining than the "imagine Dynamite Kid vs Benoit" stuff that you get a lot

well hopefully that wasn't a veiled insult at my efforts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I can't participate this year (and I never finish anyway for some reason despite my love) but I think it'd be interesting if you could mix it up this year by having two distinct groups, entertainment and workrate and after like round 4 having each person declare for one side and then have people vote for the winner of each section and then maybe have the two winners face off.

Personally I found all the comedy stuff and the ingenious gimmick match ups last year far more entertaining than the "imagine Dynamite Kid vs Benoit" stuff that you get a lot

I would have been on the other side of things there, I'm not a fan of the comedy stuff, and the more .... imaginiative storylines really didn't do much for me. I wasn't necessarily looking for workrate, but the wrestlers overall entertainment value. So if someone had Hulk Hogan vs Stone Cold, that obviously gets a good a vote, no matter what the storyline.

bumping this as we usually start the draft about 2 weeks from now (atleast getting entrants then) so thought now would be a good time to go over some rules and one in specific which relates to wanting to enter the draft.

Last year because of the big interest in the draft and the fact that very regular contribution / site checking is needed to participate in the draft a rule was implemented to help ensure board regulars are more likely to be involved. You can correct me if im wrong but I believe to be eligable you had to have a certain amount of PW posts in the last few weeks to be eligable (although in some cases where the poster is well known for example exceptions were made), Can the amount of posts/time be clarified so if anyone has any interest in participating who isnt a regular has the opportunity to fulfill such criteria if it is to be in place again this year.

The second one is about Managers & Celebs. Last year the 2 most controversial picks were argueably that of a Celeb in an early non celeb round and a manager who debuted pre 1970 in an earlier round than 1970 who is not known primarily as a manager. The Celeb pick was not allowed and the Manager pick was called a smart move and allowed although i think it annoyed a few people (i didnt mind iirc just wish i thought of it tbh).

So with Celebs I wanted to clarify something that Mr Nice Guy asked me to edit into the Op last year with my modly magic
    - people who would be considerd Celebs more so than wrestlers are only eligable to be drafted in the special celeb round and not in any other round

So unfortunatley even if someone wrestled in a proper match unless they were known at the time as a wrestler and not a celeb involved in wrestling they arent eligable till the celeb round.

and, Just to clarify can managers have debuted at any time and do they have to be considering primarily out of ring talent (so as to include authority figures etc aswell as managers) or is a wrestler who become a manager eligable for drafting at any time as a manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

and, Just to clarify can managers have debuted at any time and do they have to be considering primarily out of ring talent (so as to include authority figures etc aswell as managers) or is a wrestler who become a manager eligable for drafting at any time as a manager?

If wrestlers who became managers are allowed to be picked then it opens up the likes of Flair (who was picked in such a fashion one year. Forget who did it?), the likes of Moolah etc. With that being the case maybe managers ought to be limited to those who would be known primarily as such?

• Advertisement

If wrestlers who became managers are allowed to be picked then it opens up the likes of Flair (who was picked in such a fashion one year. Forget who did it?), the likes of Moolah etc. With that being the case maybe managers ought to be limited to those who would be known primarily as such?

yeah it was the Flair one I was thinking of too, think it was Cactus Col who got him that way which was a smart use of the rules but i guess will be a no go this time.

yeah it was the Flair one I was thinking of too, think it was Cactus Col who got him that way which was a smart use of the rules but i guess will be a no go this time.

In my defence though, I did use him as a manager. I was quite proud of that selection!

There was one pick last year that I thought skirted the rules a bit ... can't remember who made it, or the actual wrestlers involved. But he was able to pick a wrestler and a manager as a tag team as the manager had regularly subbed for for the wrestler's proper partner.

One rule I'd like to see is that celebrities can only be used in a similar fashion to their actual appearances. So if you picked Mr T, he could be put in a match ... but if you picked Liberace, you couldn't put him in a match. If that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

One rule I'd like to see is that celebrities can only be used in a similar fashion to their actual appearances. So if you picked Mr T, he could be put in a match ... but if you picked Liberace, you couldn't put him in a match. If that makes any sense.

I would object to this rule.
    I wouldnt like to see someone pick...
    Em..

Donald trump?... ok maybe not Trump, but whatever yeah.
    I would like a little bit more leeway than just oh trump is bringing so and so to the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Can't wait lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Im excited lads since the new year is upon us.

yup its gotta be soon, no date set yet but when it comes to signing up for this i hope i dont miss out due to time difference. Havent missed one yet and tbh cant wait for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

i was in this last year too and was disappointed i could not get online as much when it came to the PPV. This year if i'm playing its gonna be different.

Hopefully Gimmick can shed some light on the situation. It was around this time last year we signed for it IIRC

Im really looking forward to this years one.

:D

Heres hoping i dont do something stupid this time round and get myself in trouble. :P

Just to keep this bumped here's links to the picks thread from last year:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055805305

and the discussion thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055805296

Can't remember who I voted for.... but looking at those rosters now, Voltwad's choices of Brock Lesnar and Ultimate Warrior is inspired.

Just remembering that third round, having to pick someone who debuted in their promotions within the past year ... that was a tough one! Really had high hopes for hamada in TNA .... think they dropped the ball there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have PMd MNG. Hopefully he will open the registration thread and things can get going from there.

YEEEEEEEEEEES!!

Just to keep this bumped here's links to the picks thread from last year:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055805305

and the discussion thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055805296

Can't remember who I voted for.... but looking at those rosters now, Voltwad's choices of Brock Lesnar and Ultimate Warrior is inspired.

Just remembering that third round, having to pick someone who debuted in their promotions within the past year ... that was a tough one! Really had high hopes for hamada in TNA .... think they dropped the ball there.

the links to all 3 drafts so far are in the hot links sticky

wahey starting soon, though im annoyed at myself. Rebooted (think thats the right term) my computer to factory settings and lost the big ass list I wrote up the other day. I had done up over 250 names (eligable tag teams etc counting as 1) during a half hour period when I was bored, they were even in order of preference too.

At the same time i actually did a google search and found a similar PW fantasy draft elsewhere in which they incorporated an interesting idea. dunno if anyone would be interested but in theirs they had random draws every two rounds with the 2nd rnd having a reverse order to the first like we did here so that no.20 in rd one would be no.1 in round two etc. The thing that was different was that if a competitor believed their pick would still be available much later in the round they could actually trade places with someone else who was perhaps less sure of getting who they wanted. this would also mean that person who traded away their early rd pick would instead now be guaranteed an earlier round pick in the following round where perhaps they would have been less confident of getting their man. Dont expect many to try it but thought it was worth throwing out there. All they did was go to the discussion thread and say something like im looking to move down/up in this round and down/up in the next one as a result, anyone want to trade?

ideas from previous discussion I thought id bring up as it probably not long off now:

Trade rounds: making it so that during certain rounds trades can be made, not just at the end when everyone has probably already found a place/opponents for those they have drafted. my suggestion is during round 6, 11 and the final round.

Stip rounds: these worked great last year but maybe have an outline of when they will this time round. Not neccesarily what they will be but maybe just let people know when they are coming up in advance so that you arent left in the lurch by planning a pick very much neccesary for your roster only to find out they dont suit the stip or whatever in this round and then get picked in the next round when stip wrestlers being gone means they jump up the order of in demand options.

Celeb round: Last year this was made a late round so that people wouldent rely on the Celeb for their roster. This worked well although it did also lead to some iirc holding off on their evaluation entrys until they got their celeb as Celebs are very well suited to GM roles for example. Therefore id suggest the Celeb round be the round that also opens the evaluation thread usually, i.e the 10th.

can think of any more atm but just throwing things out there atm as if we dont now none such idea will be implimented this year wether you want any of em or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This might be a bad idea, but Ill float it out there.

A wrestler can only be chosen once. But what about when they have gimmick surgery ie Deacon Batista and Batista are two completely different characters, as are The Ringmaster and Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hunter Heas=rst Helmsley/HHH etc.

Perhaps a stipped round, or open pick at secondary gimmicks with the proviso that they can only be used as their secondary gimmick?

The only problem I see with this, is for the likes of Hogan, who has been Mr America, Hollywood Hogan, and Red and Yellow Hulk Hogan.

Actually, all in all, that is a desperate idea, so scrap it.

gimmick wrote: »
    This might be a bad idea, but Ill float it out there.

A wrestler can only be chosen once. But what about when they have gimmick surgery ie Deacon Batista and Batista are two completely different characters, as are The Ringmaster and Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hunter Heas=rst Helmsley/HHH etc.

Perhaps a stipped round, or open pick at secondary gimmicks with the proviso that they can only be used as their secondary gimmick?

The only problem I see with this, is for the likes of Hogan, who has been Mr America, Hollywood Hogan, and Red and Yellow Hulk Hogan.

Actually, all in all, that is a desperate idea, so scrap it.

a sure atleast you tried, does make me think of 2 of last years picks though namely the fake Undertaker & Sting (and i guess you could throw the fake Kane in there too), are they legal picks?

gimmick wrote: »

First person I thought of was Mick Foley ... you could've had Mankind, Dude Love, or Cactus Jack. And also Mick Foley as Mick Foley of course.

Probably not a very feasible idea ... but I like it none the less! Fake Kane & Fake Diesel tagging together against Real Kane and Drew Gallows! With Isaac Yankem and Festus acting as bell ringer and ring announcer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

A massive +1 from me for the reversal of picks idea from BH, i think someone who's 20 one round and first the next is awesomely fair...

I think the idea of using more than one gimmick could work sparingly, like for one round. However, it would be at the discretion of the mods surely? Red/Yellow Hogan = No difference, Oz/Kevin Nash = Totally Different.

A massive +1 from me for the reversal of picks idea from BH, i think someone who's 20 one round and first the next is awesomely fair...

It sounds good in theory but let's say for round 4 your first and I'm last. When it's reversed then who's last will get 2 picks together. And then who was first (you in this case) will have to wait 20 picks.

Unless the rounds are done on a two by two basis. Like the first round order picked for round 1, then round 2 it's reversed. Round 3, new order, round 4 the 3rd order is reversed and so on so forth?

• Advertisement

Re Round reversal: I think overall the randomized version we use at present balanced itself out last year. It adds a bit more controversy to it to :)

Advertisement