Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Draft discussion ***EVERYBODY READ POST 965***

Options
1737475767779»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Diabheal Beag dont let the fact you came in the lower ends bother you, Is this not your 1st year doing it, I did it last year and finished dead last so was glad to pick up 10 points this year and being honest I was suprised I finished just above yourself but does are the breaks it was a very tough year I think if it was last year you would have got into top 5 at least but Flah really upped his game along with a regular writer Walter plus new guys like BostonCrab so it was the toughest year yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Came off very badly here lads. Apologies for that. Just I thought it was at least one of the middle ones. Not saying I should have been in the top 7 because they were all great shows. Just a load of effort put in that I felt deserved better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Came off very badly here lads. Apologies for that. Just I thought it was at least one of the middle ones. Not saying I should have been in the top 7 because they were all great shows. Just a load of effort put in that I felt deserved better.

In a way you do but so do a number of people bcos tbh everyone put in a load of time/effort into this and a few can feel v hard done by, FR in particular

Assuming your sure about you decision mng I'd def be willing to step up and along with my co-mod run next years comp if I'm still as active then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

A well deserved winner in Flah's roster. :)

I regret not getting the time together to throw up a ppv so i could at least vote, but if i could have, i would have.
    Lets just say that if i hadve, the top 4 could have been a bit different. ;)
    And Furious, i had 3 or 4 points allocated for you, if that makes any consolation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

CMpunked wrote: »
    A well deserved winner in Flah's roster. :)

I regret not getting the time together to throw up a ppv so i could at least vote, but if i could have, i would have.
    Lets just say that if i hadve, the top 4 could have been a bit different. ;)
    And Furious, i had 3 or 4 points allocated for you, if that makes any consolation.

Ha cheers dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,474 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Diabhal Beag - I voted for you in the Slammy Awards for Comic/Funniest writer

CMpunked - I do think if we could have voted for you, you would have been near the very top of the votes

Cm you were gettin my top vote if able to produce a PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Now that it's all over, I know some people were like myself and planned everything far in advance, so what were everyones original PPVs before the draft begun?

I was looking to have Brock Lesnar vs. Kenta Kobashi as my main event, Benoit vs. Davey Richards vs. Dynamite Kid, El Generico vs. JBL with Miss Elizabeth as his valet, Misawa vs. Batista were matches I had at the start that I can remember from the top of my head. Also with the Four Horsemen Steve Blackman was going to be the fourth person before he was taken, I wasn't going to pick Dusty until the idea jumped at me at the last minute. Also before Joey Ryan vs. Val Venis my comedy match was going to be The Super Smash Brothers vs. CP Munk and Dragon Dragon but I thought it would cost me votes. Oh and Vampiro vs. Ultramantis Black!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Congrats Flah and well done also to Walt so close - wow hard to believe it is all over for another year :(

Chin up, it is actually only another 9 1/2 months!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I was lucky with my main event since I got the two guys I wanted. Punk was always going to be my first choice and once I got him, Flair was always my second. I would have liked the MCMGs (or, indeed, half of Liz's roster <_<) but I learned early on not to make any matches or stories up in advance, so I've not got any other feuds I didn't get to use...

• Advertisement

I have two regrets not picking a bigger star as my number 1 pick as I reckon I could have got Anderson second pick, and also wish I thought of the Nexus World Order idea that was brilliance.

But been honest I dont think I could have worked my roster any better then I did

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Assuming your sure about you decision mng I'd def be willing to step up and along with my co-mod run next years comp if I'm still as active then.

Yeah I'm sure. It would be in good hands with yourselves so I hope you take it on being one of the few like myself to do it every year.
    Now that it's all over, I know some people were like myself and planned everything far in advance, so what were everyones original PPVs before the draft begun?

I was initially aiming for Triple H vs Sting as my main event. I think I got a low draw for Round 2 though so had to change tactics. I've always felt those two would have had a good feud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think that will be it from me as far as running the game is concerned. Four years is long enough and by this stage it's become a mainstay of the board. There's many here who are veterans of the game and know how it works anyway. I'm sure it will be in good hands next year with gimmick there to oversee matters and Bounty Hunter one of those who also knows the game well. I can think of a few others who could run it admirably and maybe better than I did since a few new ideas might be good for the game.

If this is your last year running it then you deserve huge thanks. It was your brainchild from the start and for such a simple idea it has grown into the highlight of the year for me on the board every year. Such a basic concept but so addictive, its fairly sad how much it occupies my thoughts while its on. :pac:

More importantly its something that brings the board together every year and creates a real sense of community in the place. I feel like I've gotten to know a lot of you better just through playing the game and I think we've gained some excellent new posters because of it. Anyone who has participated and doesn't really post much really should consider staying about. There's no other board like it really.

Thanks a million for all the work you've put in MNG, I really hope you still participate even if you don't run it as I always enjoy your work. I'll happily volunteer with the running of it in future if needs be. It certainly won't, or shouldn't fall by the wayside anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

My draft strategy was to take the best person off the board at the time. I would then look to draft someone to feud with them. Its very hard to plan who you want to have before the draw is even made. I was also drafting to have a roster that can go on past the PPV and have many alternative feuds which i think i succeeded in doing so. Perhaps that was my biggest mistake as i maybe should have aimed at having a roster ideal for one PPV.

I am a bit disappointed to finish 9th this year but with all the quality rosters out there votes were very hard to get. What i am please with is that this is the first year i started putting a lot of effort into writing shows and that was fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I learned the first year I did this there's no point in planning in advance until you have your draw. I just try to get the best person that available and then book the best possible feud for them. Your plans change so many times in this game its pointless thinking too far ahead tbh.

I really want to get my hands on Misawa and Kobashi sometime but the problem is if you get them early you miss out on a top US superstar for your Main Event that the majority of participants will identify with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How would people feel about changing the scoring next time out? Like there would be categories ie

Roster strength 1-10
    Use of roster 1-10
    PPV 1-10

That way, you do not have to pick out just 5 rosters or wgatever, you actually get to score every roster.

Just a thought

Advertisement