Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Draft discussion ***EVERYBODY READ POST 965***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

AH ok. I get it now. I was looking through the rules but I wasn't getting the whole bit about you writing your own shows and all that.

Get ready for 300 posts all starting with "I can't believe he hasn't been picked yet" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Any chance to limiting the draft to just picking the roster, setting out a card, and maybe a brief explanation of how wrestlers / feuds will go. Like the first year?

I only ask as the weekly shows thing does give a big advantage to those with the time / writing abilities over those who don't have much time / skill to write up several weekly shows and a ppv.

(Either way I'll be trynna get in on this!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Any chance to limiting the draft to just picking the roster, setting out a card, and maybe a brief explanation of how wrestlers / feuds will go. Like the first year?

I only ask as the weekly shows thing does give a big advantage to those with the time / writing abilities over those who don't have much time / skill to write up several weekly shows and a ppv.

(Either way I'll be trynna get in on this!)

Id kinda agree with that but despite the fact that Im biased having started the BWE and obviously liking this kinda thing but would remind people that it is optional and if it affect how you vote is optional too. The thing is its great reading the evaluation threads and it does give you a great feel for rosters and rivalries, I mean without that we wouldent have gotten Sheamus vs the black and tans from Ger C for example or Ballynugusset (names prob wrong) from The Flah, the benoit murder mystery from Bubs, the MNG/WCECW/BWA monday nights wars etc.

A great example would be Mr Guappa roster from a few years back, iirc he put together a great card and recieved a top 5 vote but didnt partake in the evaluation thread which meant viewer/reader of his card had less of a history/feeling for the matches on it. For this reason I would suggest that people try their hand if possible at this, nobody is expecting you to come up with the best angles ever or anything and considering the amount of effort some put in last year I would expect if anything a similar level this time round.

Thats why I split this discussion off into its own thread actually, now would be a time to think about what form it could take this year (with MNG obviously having the final say on format if hes running it again) while also higlighting the fact that it will be starting soon so that people are warned as it tends to be first come first served with regards being involved in this. Lets just hope that boards isnt attacked as we start it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

The thing about the tv shows is I was under the impression they were just a fun extra and we were meant to vote based on the roster picked and the PPV card. I think it was Cactus last year who undoubtedly had one of the best rosters and PPV cards yet received hardly any votes, a few I think even said they didn't vote for him because of no tv write ups (I may be wrong on a few of those details).

There's no harm in clarifying what indeed it is we should be voting for, or should it just be left for personal interpretation? I was thinking maybe votes could be split up, so we vote for best roster/tv/ppv separate and the person with the highest score over the three wins. Only problem might be that opens the door to more "political voting" for the want of a better term and people could get votes in a category just so you don't feel bad for leaving them out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TBC.......................................................................... :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    The thing about the tv shows is I was under the impression they were just a fun extra and we were meant to vote based on the roster picked and the PPV card. I think it was Cactus last year who undoubtedly had one of the best rosters and PPV cards yet received hardly any votes, a few I think even said they didn't vote for him because of no tv write ups (I may be wrong on a few of those details).

See, I'd be happy to participate if it was just the roster/PPV card thing or even a TV weekly card with a final PPV one. But I've only just got out of efedding and given I'm spending most of my time writing my book, I don't fancy spending time writing shows like this as well :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

TCS, when I was doing it (before I was banned in the middle of it all.. :mad:)
    I just wrote what the matches were going to be, little background to each match, description and then who won.

Some people would go into very intricate details, but I don't think it's necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    . I think it was Cactus last year who undoubtedly had one of the best rosters and PPV cards ...

That's why I consider myself the unofficial pw draft champion 2010 ... (only kidding... but not really)

There's no harm in clarifying what indeed it is we should be voting for, or should it just be left for personal interpretation? I was thinking maybe votes could be split up, so we vote for best roster/tv/ppv separate and the person with the highest score over the three wins. Only problem might be that opens the door to more "political voting" for the want of a better term and people could get votes in a category just so you don't feel bad for leaving them out :pac:

I'd say that's a good idea! Certainly I'll try to put a bit more effort into the storyline element of things (if I get into the draft) this year. Best Roster and Best Storyline categories would be cool.

But obviously I won't be doing any of the work, so it's easy to make suggestions.

I honestly thought I had the thing won last year when you consider I had Hogan, Piper, Misawa, Kobashi, Rikidozan, The Big Show, McGuinness, All the Von erichs etc all on the one roster but it shows the real level of competition that I didnt.

I like the idea of maybe splitting it into catogories to vote on but either way itl be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What like? Best roster gets half marks and best write ups get the other half?

• Advertisement

Best roster is highly subjective though. Best use of roster much less so.

I'll have to plug flah's way of PPV write-ups as gold as for each match on the PPV, he'd preface it by summarising the TV build-up, why he booked it and any other thoughts on it. I flat-out stole the format for my write ups :pac:

That way u wouldn't have to write TV shows but everyone'd still get a great feel for the feuds and the thinking behind it :)

After all the picks were compiled last year (which was earlier this year :pac:) MNG posted some interesting stats about the drafts :
    - Only four people have been participants in all three Draft games. They are Furious-Red, Bounty Hunter, Bubs and myself.

- Only two people have participated in just the first and third contests. They are Vince and Spongey1975. Both came third and fourth respectfully in the first contest.

- In the first two contests we only had one female participant - RebelRockChick - who was the first champion. This year we had two females, ironically in the year RRC did not compete.

- RebelRockChick won the first contest with a score of 88 pts and a margin of victory of 28 pts over her nearest rival. flahavaj won the second contest with a score of 84 pts and a margin of victory of 37 pts over his nearest rival. [Ger won the 2010 Draft with 72 pts, beating jaykhunter by 5 pts!]

- RebelRockChick got 5 first preference votes from others in the 2008 contest. flahavaj got 7 first preference votes last year on his way to victory.

- Of the previous Draft games to date, only two people have scored 0 pts. They were callaway92 and KKV in the first contest. Last year [and in 2010], no one finished on 0 pts who made it to the final stage.

- The 2008 Discussion thread was 106 pages long. The 2009 Discussion thread was 132 pages long. The 2010 Discussion thread as I write this is 216 pages long. [it finished on 219 pages]

- The first five picks chosen in 2010 were Steve Austin, The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Hulk Hogan and Undertaker.

- The first five picks chosen in 2009 were Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho and The Rock.

- The first five picks chosen in 2008 were Triple H, The Rock, Steve Austin, Ric Flair & the British Bulldogs.

- The British Bulldogs were the first tag team chosen in 2008 and 2010 both in Rd 1. In 2009 the first tag team picked was the MCMG, also in Round 1.

- The British Bulldogs are the only tag team to be picked in the first round every Draft.

- The celebrity round was introduced for the first time in 2009. The first five celebrity picks in '09 were Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, Mr. T, Barack Obama and Godzilla.

- The first five celeb picks in 2010 were Mike Tyson, Butter Bean, Muhammad Ali, Sylvester Stallone and Leslie Nielsen.

What say you to voting on a top 10 instead of top 5? That way we can recognise the efforts of more people :)

I would have done pretty well in 2009, If i hadnt have been wrongly banned. :(
    My roster kicked ass.

CMpunked wrote: »
    I would have done pretty well in 2009, If i hadnt have been wrongly banned. :(
    My roster kicked ass.

Did u ever do a PPV write-up?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Did u ever do a PPV write-up?

Didnt get to.
    A few people were left to pick and then the write ups were going to start.

Didnt get to.
    A few people were left to pick and then the write ups were going to start.

If you wanna post your roster & any booking plans i'd love to read it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

You had a different usernamed before CMP ya? What were you banned for?

gimmick wrote: »
    You had a different usernamed before CMP ya? What were you banned for?

I bet it was another instance of HHH holding CM Punk down :pac:

This is the post:
    (If you feel its irrelevant after you have read it, feel free to delete it. I don't want anyone to think i am bringing up old news.)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59943015#post59943015
    Yeah it was before my re-gimmicking of CMpunked, back when i was cbg :cool:

Where would i find the 2009 thread so i can dig up my roster?
    I would do a search but i knew there were a few ones knocking about.
    If you could help jay? :)

This is the post:
    (If you feel its irrelevant after you have read it, feel free to delete it. I don't want anyone to think i am bringing up old news.)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59943015#post59943015
    Yeah it was before my re-gimmicking of CMpunked, back when i was cbg :cool:

Where would i find the 2009 thread so i can dig up my roster?
    I would do a search but i knew there were a few ones knocking about.
    If you could help jay? :)
    C-B-G: Triple H, AJ Styles, Devon Dudley, Bubba-Ray Dudley, Matt Hardy, Lita, Bam Bam Bigelow, Mike Awesome, Test, Stacy Kiebler, Eric Bischoff
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055528499

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Personally I'd be in favour of keeping the write-ups. I'd use the example of last year's winner Ger. When I looked at some of his early picks I felt like he was making some strange choices and I couldn't see how his roster would do well. However when I read his write-ups his storylines just all came together and were highly entertaining. I wouldn't have been able to understand his vision for his show without them and they were a factor in my choosing him. For me, the object of the game is to put together the best show so having the best assembled talent shouldn't simply win you the game imo. I should stress this is just my view and I reckon we should be allowed have our own criteria.

I take the point about those who don't want to do write-ups. We have always tried to stress that these are optional. I think what happened last year was that there were so many good write-ups that people felt compelled to use this to determine their votes.

My view would be that they should remain and be left optional but that we make it known more clearly that the write-ups don't have to be taken into account. I also recall from last year most felt choosing a top 5 was too limiting and so we agreed for 2011 we'd consider opening it up more. I think this year there should be a top 10 and with such a scenario hopefully those rosters who don't have write-ups will be better represented.

I guess the big questions most years as the answers have changed is what makes up an allowed tag team pick. for instance what is considerd a world title for the purposes of excluding people from tag picks. TNA/NWA belt, ECW original/WWECW belt, ROH belt etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I guess the big questions most years as the answers have changed is what makes up an allowed tag team pick. for instance what is considerd a world title for the purposes of excluding people from tag picks. TNA/NWA belt, ECW original/WWECW belt, ROH belt etc
    Nothing wrong with last year's format IMO, regarding titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I have a great idea for a main event already, hopefully the first round draw will be nice to me again this year!

Voltwad wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with last year's format IMO, regarding titles.

i'd probably agree though i dont know exactley where they are stated as the rules for drafting arent in last years OP and i know they were alterd from the draft the year before.

I think It was only the WWE/F, TNA, NWA pre TNA, & WCW world titles that counted with regards the tag thing but i cant remember exactley on if im right about the pre TNA part of the NWA title or if both ECW championships were not included or just the WWE ECW one.

only starting the think about this a little bit now since this thread began but it would be easier to plan potential picks etc if everyone was 100% on the above especially those who have not participated before and therefore may miss out on certain picks thinking they arent eligable.

I guess all the rules will be the same as last year as far as allowed promotions/debut date/tag team rules then?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought the rules seemed to work well this year. As BH touched on, the tag rule has probably been the biggest headache over the years but I thought this year we got it about right.

I agree, the tag rule is the best that can be made of a tricky situation. I would also like to see the same, or even more, rounds with stips. It makes it much more interesting, in the sense that you cant really make out a list of picks that you want, you have to kinda pick on the fly. Good for the creative juices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

The only thing i'll say is that for each stipulation round, could we also make it a trade window.. Because leaving the trades until the end last time made it really hard to intergrate the guys into the shows..

• Advertisement

The only thing i'll say is that for each stipulation round, could we also make it a trade window.. Because leaving the trades until the end last time made it really hard to intergrate the guys into the shows..

+1 from me, I would have liked to do a trade or two last year buy I had plans for everyone by the time the trade round came about

Advertisement