Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2010 Boards.ie Draft (Discussion and Reaction)

Options
  • 20-01-2010 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the 3rd annual Boards Pro Wrestling Draft where the object of the game is to assemble the roster of your choice and beat the other 19 competitors involved for the title of Draft champion. Apologies to the Republic of Ireland who applied to be the 21st entrant which we couldn't facilitate but reserve spots are still open to those on the board who want to put their name down.

Previous winners have been the original queen of the contest RebelRockChick and last year's champ, flahavaj. (Though I thought personally the guy who finished second was robbed :P) We're starting things off earlier this time to avoid the summer slowdown of recent years.

With mods of the PW board gimmick and Bounty Hunter being familar with the game and a lot of former faces participating, not to mention the experience of the last two contests behind us, hopefully this year's will run smoother than ever. If you have any questions leave them in this discussion thread or if you don't want to reveal it to others, send on a PM to myself or one of the mods and we should be able to sort it out for you.

The rules are outlined below. I've tried to cover everything but if I have missed anything hopefully gimmick or BH will set it right. Other stipulations may be added to the game in due course but will be designed with enhancing the game's enjoyment and will hopefully meet with general approval.
    Rules:

- You have 24 hours to make your pick. If you miss your pick you will have to wait until after number 20 has chosen to make your pick. You will be PM'd about your missed pick and if you miss your pick twice, you will be eliminated from the contest. Your roster will then be either given to a reserve, or the roster will be divided up in a later round.

- If you are banned, for any length of time, during the draft, you will be eliminated from the contest. Your roster will then be either given to a reserve, or the roster will be divied up in a later round.

- In the game no wrestler can be chosen twice. For example, if someone selects Stone Cold then Stone Cold is no longer available for anybody else!

- Each person makes fifteen picks over fifteen rounds. One choice per round. Everyone gets their turn. Tag Teams come as a package so for example if you want the Dudleys then you don't have to pick Bubba one round and then D-Von the next. There are rules to adhere to for tag teams which are stated below:

- Cannot have a world champion in them ie no DX or Hart Foundation
    - Must have tagged together for at least 3 months
    - Inter gender tag teams not allowed
    - Members of factions, ie Saturn and Malenko, are not deemed valid picks as they are not classed as legit tag teams under the criteria for the game.

World Titles:
    World titles are considered as the following:
    WWE, World Heavyweight Title/WCW, TNA and NWA

(Note: For the benefit of the game as a whole and to reflect the realistic loss in prestige of the NWA Title, only holders of the NWA Title up until the WCW World Championship came into use will be regarded as World Champions for the purposes of the game. )

Eligible Promotions:
    WWE, TNA, ROH, anything historically going under the NWA banner.

Time Frame:
    No professional debuts pre 1970 are eligible. There will be a round for pre 1970 picks. There will also be a celeb round where celebs who have appeared on wrestling TV are elibible for picks.

- To determine wrestler debuts we will use Wikipedia as in previous years. If you feel the Wikipedia entry is incorrect you can PM me or one of the mods to state your case.

- people who would be considerd Celebs more so than wrestlers are only eligable to be drafted in the special celeb round and not in any other round

- Dark matches and try out matches will not be valid cases this year for selecting a wrestler.

- Managers and female wrestlers are eligible if people wish to pick them. Commentators have not been included in recent years.

Threads for previous drafts can be found here and here.

Please try and keep discussion of events in here and not the picks thread (which I hope to set up soon along with the draw for round 1). Cheers and good luck to all.

COMPLETED PICKS AND TRADES THREAD HERE

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

That was lucky I got first pick while still up. Insomnia comes good for once! I had planned to go a bit crazy with my picks were I not early this round. Already forming ideas in my head to use these guys in but I just couldn't resist Austin. Now that old waiting game again hoping these other guys aren't gone by next round :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Blaguarded in the draw again this year.:pac: Then again I got a cat draw in the first round last time as well and I still did alright so what the hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Im just the bolton wanderers of this feckin forum.

mid table mediocrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

awesome ,glad to see were rolling on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Rotten luck with the draw. No. 19. Will have to wait a week or so to watch all my first round choices get picked one by one. Lets hope Hornswoggle will still be there (fingers crossed)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

No.8 .... should get a pretty good main eventer here!

I'll probably be constantly refreshing the pro wrestling forum til i get my turn (hope against hope it's today some time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I have a question re the rules for tag teams. Its probably already been discussed but want to be clear in my own mind. I noticed that inter gender tag teams are not allowed which is good but what about female tag teams? Personally dont think they should be allowed as its an easy way of getting 2 women into your roster with one pick

i think as long as they tagged together regularily it's allowed. I certainly took advantage of the rule last year ... and hope to do so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

No 5 - Pretty happy with that. Best of luck to everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

what about female tag teams? Personally dont think they should be allowed as its an easy way of getting 2 women into your roster with one pick

If they are a recognised tag team and have tagged together for 3 or more months, they are eligible.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    If they are a recognised tag team and have tagged together for 3 or more months, they are eligible.

Actually ... just one clarification question on that ... does the tag team have to have tagged for three months in the eligible promotions, or just three months regularily?

Say Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan were a regular \ recognised tag team in Japan, winning tag team titles in AJPW and NJPW, but only appeared for 1 month as a that team in WWF ... would they be eligible?

(assuming they didn't win world titles individually and all that crap, didn't want to give away anyone I was thinking of)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Wahey, number 3. Nice one. Best of luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 36,074 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

f*ck sake, no. 16.

screwed last year in the 1st round too.

ah sure, no harm in having to be a bit creative.

actually, since there's no pre-1975 rule, everyone should get an excellent first round pick.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't understand this game at all. Is it we all pick former/present world champions and after all the rounds we look at the rosters?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I don't understand this game at all. Is it we all pick former/present world champions and after all the rounds we look at the rosters?

We get one pick each round. The idea is to get as good a roster as possible. At the end we put together a PPV card based on our drafts. And judging by that card the winner is voted.

Last year a number of us went a bit further and fantasy booked a number of shows based on the rosters we had picked to that time. This was optional but added a bit of depth into the ppv's.

When you make a pick you can pick any singles wrestler or tag team (as long as he / they meet the criteria in the first post).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

is it too late to get into this

^ yes, but you can be on the reserve list
    Actually ... just one clarification question on that ... does the tag team have to have tagged for three months in the eligible promotions, or just three months regularily?

I would say if they tagged regularly in, say, AJPW and have wrestled in the eligible promotions, yes, they are eligible.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    actually, since there's no pre-1975 rule, everyone should get an excellent first round pick.

There is a pre 1970 rule though.

This must the only morning ever that JP Liz aint online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

ah shame put me on reserve list though just incase

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sunset V has let me know that he won't be able to commit to the draft so a space has opened up.

Looks like campo is the number one on the reserve list so I'll put him in for Sunset V if that's OK with everybody.

That means campo is number 10 for the round.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

nice although i knew we were ready I didnt expect this to be going when i got back from work and no.4 too nice :)

now the thinking begins, thankfully not in an obsessive way till much later when we are all trawling wiki looking for the best eligable pick left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

was it not republic of ireland or something?

I have a question on the draw, when all 20 have picked, will it be random or reversed to decide the order again?

No mate, that was my poor attempt at humour. :)
    I have a question on the draw, when all 20 have picked, will it be random or reversed to decide the order again?

It's a random draw before each round.

last year i suggested reversing it every 2nd round after a random draw but the majority believed random was better and that there could be problems if the people who got no.1, 2, 3 etc knew they wouldent have another go for more than 30 picks for instnace iirc one such suggestion was that they they might not check the threads as regularily in such a situation and thus perhaps hold up the game by missing their go's.

I see no reason not to include campo after the dropout but be warned camp you will be on boards a lot if involved in this game

Just a quick question lads if somebody(or tag team) have appeared on WWE/WWF television just once do they count?

Just a quick question lads if somebody(or tag team) have appeared on WWE/WWF television just once do they count?

Yes, but if its a tag team they would still have to have tagged in a recognised promotion for an extended time (as said earlier places in Japan etc can apply if the person is also eligable having competed in one of WWF/E, WCW, TNA, ROH etc).

Yes, but if its a tag team they would still have to have tagged in a recognised promotion for an extended time (as said earlier places in Japan etc can apply if the person is also eligable having competed in one of WWF/E, WCW, TNA, ROH etc).

awesome thanks for clearing that up for me.

Does JP Liz know it's her turn?

Doubtful. She is usually online in the morning time. I would assume she would have checked the thread straight off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Does JP Liz know it's her turn?

She posted in the Smackdown/ECW spoilers thread a while ago, so was obviously around the forum but unaware that its her turn.

• Advertisement

I have PMd her.

Hopefully she is back online soon to getb it moved along.

Advertisement