Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[CLOSED] Win tickets to the Irish premiere of TRON: LEGACY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

the royal tenenbaums - Because it makes me laugh.....hard:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nousa

"Donnie Brasco" is the movie I like the most, the reason is beceause I love movies based on real story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Favourite movie is Oldboy - a South Korean masterpiece with an extreme twist!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jinx9000

Rita, Sue & Bob Too.

The 'Alan Clarke' classic from 1986 (and yes my name is Bob!)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Empire Records is my favourite movie of all time, it's such a feel good film with such a fantastic sound track! It reminds me of my teenage years when we watched it repeatedly everyweekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - just a good enjoyable film to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

The Deer Hunter

I have never seen such a powerful movie, and one that stays in your mind for such a long time. Robert De Nero and Christopher Walken's performances are amazing, and at the same time believable. The film deals with many themes including post-traumatic stress disorder, mental illness and the horrors of war among many others, something you do not see in many films today.
    The film does not "sugar coat" the war, and the russian roulette scene, is as gripping as it gets. Seeing the effect the war had on the characters is heart-wrenching, and very depressing, and we do not get the traditional hollywood "happy ending".

One of the best films ever made for sure, and my favorite movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭donal666

La vita è bella (Life Is Beautiful) is a fab Italian movie about a family survivng the holocaust. Sad, beautiful and funny - puts all the stuff going on in Ireland today into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Has to be ''Death Proof'' for me

One of Tarantino's lesser known movies and i think its brilliant! It has such a 1960s b movie feel to it. Its one of those typical crappy horror movies but that just seems to add to Tarantino's traditional great dialogue and way of filming and of course Kurt Russell!. Its one of those movies that you can sit down to watch and still enjoy the 50th time through.

Also i just love the Vanishing point challenger replica:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

babyhack wrote: »
    12 Angry Men

Same.

Because it is a great example of how with good movies a Director knows that the film is his canvas and uses every inch of it to create his masterpiece. There is not one shot/sound in that film that is wasted. Every frame is used to convey the tension, the hot weather, the sweat, the time and the pressure.

Great film. Film 101 tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

Full Metal Jacket. Because: "you climb obstacles like old people ****! do you know that, corporal Pyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

"La Haine."

Ladies and gentlemen, this movie is a masterpiece.

The acting is flawless. Not every line is completely verbatim, but that's what makes it so good. Each piece of dialect is real and passionate.

What I found even more breathtaking was the shots. Each scene is artfully filmed, with certain characters placed on certain sides for a specific reason. Not to mention the ending, which is incredibly shocking and heart retching. I was left with my jaw on the floor.

I urge everyone to see this movie. If you don't speak French, watch it with English subtitles. It's truly incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Armageddon... The perfect popcorn flick...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Spirited Away

Beautiful film that takes Alice in Wonderland onto a whole new experience. Very imaginative and full of whimsical detail.
    Exceptionally pretty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jack63232

Well now, I don't believe there's any other way to go than towards "Finding Neverland". Both fabulous storytelling and a star studded cast collide in a spectacular piece of cinema. Featuring sterling performances from both Johnny Depp and Kate Winslett, the characters come alive with a magic befitting only a writer as fabulous as J.M. Barrie. This movie was also the emotional debut of child actor Freddie Highmore who brought tears to the eyes of characters and audience alike. A heartwarming, engaging film, I'm sure I'm not the only one who will post this as my favourite movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nantrax

Hard to pick just one,but its probably The Deer Hunter with the great Robert DeNiro starring as Michael, who tries to takes care of his friends when they are all drafted together to serve in Vietnam.
    It too, is in part, about boys coming home greatly altered to their families.

Christopher Walken gives a performance which has never since matched. When Walken's character goes missing, his best friend Michael returns to 'Nam to find him. The scenes involving Walken and DeNiro playing Russian Roulette in a back alley dive in Saigon are mesmerizing. Meryl Streep has a minor role in The Deer Hunter, but as usual, she left her stamp on the picture, particularly in the closing scene singing God Bless America.

No war film has had a greater effect on me and hammers home harder the negative aspects of war..without at any stage galmourising the violence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Hot Millions - First hacking movie ever and its hilarious. Peter Ustinov is a legend.

B~

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I went to see the film not having seen any trailers and was blown away.

I liked Di Caprio in his previous role but i loved the other characters in this film equally.

It was one of the few films i've ever been in where my girlfriend's seen me tense up while watching it, she stopped me at one stage to tell me that my mouth had been open gawking at the entire previous scene! I was totally engrossed and i love how films can make you feel like that.

Great film, beautiful locations, unbelievable cgi, good acting, real value for money!

I've seen some trailers for Tron and it's looking equally epic, i've love to get caught up in a film again. And if i win a pair of tickets, i'll be bringing the girlfriend so she can tell me if i've been gawking (mouth open) for too long!

EDIT - Just realised i've gone over time, NOOO, im **** slow typer, please don't hold it against me!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Plain and simple!

BAMBI! because its the only film to ever make me cry ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Scrooged - because it reminds me of the whole family sitting around watching it together on Christmas Eve Eve and really letting me know when Christmas and fun family times begin :)
    I know it's after midnight but I just seen this thread, please count this as a valid entry? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 dainiux79

Magnolia
    the best cast and screenplay

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

The Princess Bride, It has everything....Romance, action, intrigue, Its funny and parts of it are completely inconcievable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 andorgallen

Sunrise by F.W Murnau
    because it is absolutely stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cat.OR

Zoolander.... Such a classic, Always makes me laugh time and time again. I think its so funny cause everyone can see a bit of the same Vanity in themselves and can relate to moments of complete stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

apocolypse now. the best war film of all time. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Have the winners been notified yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Commando

There are reasons but boards.ie would crash if i listed them all. But heres a 2 word summary

Schwarzenegger + Guns

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SIMPLYTHE

defo WHITE CHICKS. I laughed til I cried. :D:P;)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Heavenly Creatures

Peter Jackson's breakthrough movie just blew me away when I first saw it & it was my 1st time seeing the delectable and talented Kate Winslet onscreen, yum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Electric Ireland: James

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for the huge response to our ESB Customer Supply Tron: Legacy competition. The results are in!! (Drum Roll).

Congratulations to:

1. FireballPitcher
    2. gravity12
    3. Hex
    4. TheDenominator
    5. KizzyMonster
    6. christo82
    7. denballs
    8. funkyjebus
    9. greetings
    10. teufelswerk
    11. ederkeh
    12. krudler
    13. kateos2
    14. ryaner012
    15. bigred100
    16. WilliamOC
    17. mark13
    18. thom119
    19. Mr_Roger_Bongos
    20. IrishKnight
    21. Galvasean
    22. jinx9000
    23. ButtersSuki
    24. Lukker-
    25. Rhamiel
    26. shreddedloops
    27. bohoe
    28. tonc76
    29. Ronan
    30. Raco316
    31. sickle
    32. Rie0107
    33. Mr Rivers
    34. Shelli2
    35. banjopaul
    36. Dublinstiofán
    37. Mad Benny
    38. remeneerb
    39. Ickle Magoo
    40. peatcass
    41. roroduff
    42. zinfandel
    43. JustAddWater
    44. kensutz
    45. rednik
    46. ChainWhip
    47. kennethsmyth
    48. cronin_j
    49. Twenty10
    50. helimachoptor

We really appreciate all your interest in this and love the movie recommendations…well most of them :p. I’ll PM the winners now. Hope you enjoy the movie.

And for the rest – better luck next time and keep an eye on our forum for more great competitions.

Congrats again,
    James

Advertisement