Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[CLOSED] Win tickets to the Irish premiere of TRON: LEGACY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Favorite movie..... Anchorman :D

I just love it, its one of them its so stupid its funny films and im a sucker for them.
    "Brick loves lamp"
    "sky rockets at night"
    and sex panther aftershave,

Need i say more :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Good Will Hunting - awesome performances from Matt Damon and Robin Williams about the discovery of a genius who was working in a college as a janitor.

One of the many good scenes in it. HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

The choice is difficult but if I have to choose it would be Avatar, just amazing movie and great effects. I first didn't want to go but I didn't regret it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 carcarcar

shawshank redemption - because the good guys win!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Labyrinth!

David bowie, and my favourite character..

LUDO!
    labyrinth_ludo.jpg

Dance magic dance, Was the first thing my and me wife kinda bonded on...:o

• Advertisement

God. My favourite movie? That's an unbelievably hard question to answer. There are oh so many that appeal to me depending on my current situation/what I'm feeling at that present moment.

If I were to pick one solely though it would have to be Up!

Here's why:
    Carl is a character that we can all relate to; he is lost in an ever-changing World. The only semblance of reality that he ever had is gone - his closest companion and the one he shares his life with. It reminds me of how much I wonder what my parents would be like when one were to leave the other behind. So it's about Love and what you will do once it's gone and it's about acceptance ultimately.

It's also about promises - how your promise should be your bond, regardless of where it takes you or who you meet along the way.

The score is also possibly one of the most beautiful you will ever hear and I find it extremely impossible to listen to it and not well up. That's how strong this movie is; even the simplest score can give you such emotions.

I remember when I saw this movie it was in New York. It has just gotten to the part where Carl opens the
    adventure book
    and the whole cinema is quiet, bar a few sniffles and manly coughs to hide the sniffles. A father was bringing his son to go to the toilet and the son was talking quite loudly, much to the annoyance of some of the audience who shushes them. Cue the father stopping still and saying, in a real gruff New York accent, "Who said that? Telling my son to shush. Shut yo' punk ass up". With the son replying in a slightly squeaky New York accent, "Shut yo' punk ass up". It provided much needed comic relief.

OK, long post, but it's kinda hard to explain why I love Up as much as I do in any short manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Saving Private Ryan

A film that set the benchmark for all films war and action films that followed. The Ohama Landings sequence was like watching a color newsreel of the actual event. A proper peek into the horror of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TheDenominator

Given it quite a bit of thought.... I was hesitating on my first choice because it's so recent, but what the hell...

DISTRICT 9

:D

I'm sorry but that movie is amazing. Wikus and Christopher Johnson...the 'prawns', the Johannesburg setting. Just brilliant. And what a story!! Never thought I'd get so emotionally taken in by the plight of these alien refugees and Wikus' transformation from complete idiot to selfless hero.

And lets not forget the amazing special-effects work which, considering the budget they had, is even more astounding:P

Of course the South African swearing is also great....Fooking prawns!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Trains Planes and Automobiles (1987) ...because Steve Martin and John Candy are so funny !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Daft Punks Electroma, so out there and that soundtrack!!!! EPIC!!!!!!!

r_1216072009_electroma.jpg

daft_wideweb__470x280,0.jpg

p.s. i cant wait to see Tron! Been waiting 2 years now! lol

dptronsuits.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Rie0107

At the moment I'm going to say A Single Man because that film is beautiful and just so fantastic, it makes me sigh to think of it but I'd be lying if I didn't mention the fact that I've probably watched Serenity more times than is decent to admit, or that I'll watch huge sections of Legally Blonde whenever it's on tv or that at the merest suggestion of Carlito's Way I'll stop what I'm doing and wait until someone turns them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 LouLou65

Probably Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Tim Burton).

2052998.jpg

I would love to live in such a world, where you can eat everything around you whenever you want and as much as you want!

But poor Charlie, who is the poorest of the children in the factory, does not even dare to touch and taste what's around him. This child who does not think of his happiness for his birthday and shares small pieces of chocolate with his family, living all together in a small house with holes in the roof!
    Charlie is the only child who is not spoilt and he is the most mature of them, he seems to be a little adult among the other kids. Poor life but rich boy inside him, it is very touching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Toy Story, has everything really, story, characters, new and fresh visuals when it came out and pushed what we saw in films! It all started with Tron :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Seldon

Don't know why but its a film I have to watch every once in a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Twelve Monkeys. A Gilliam classic. A rare chance to see Bruce Willis act.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Hard Boiled. Heard it was something special so rented it out for a birthday during my teens. It blew our fragile little minds! I've never seen an action film as intense, flamboyant and well orchestrated from the off. Every set-piece is jaw-dropping filled with amazing stunts, humour and Chow Yun Fat in his prime. I've been watching it on an almost yearly basis ever since and it still holds up against all other action films made since. A classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Inzilbeth

Only one!!! That is a hard ... but it would have to be a toss up between the Matrix and the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy (2001 - 2003) ... but given that my kids are not too impressed with the former ( much to my bitter disappointment) and were as excited waiting for each new 'Lord of the Rings' film to come out as they are now waiting for Santa... That is the one I will opt for.

So Mr Jacksons innovative adaptation of J.R Tolkiens triology is my choice :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

My favorite movie is the original Tron have watched it over a hundred times since i was a kid i cant wait to see the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Gotta be 'The Score' with Robert Deniro, Edward Norton and Marlon Brando. Brilliant movie

Electric plot and twist towards the end. Watch it if you never have!

score.jpg&t=1

I've never seen the old version of Tron but my mate is in love with it (expecting him here any minute). So if i won the tickets it would be for him. I supposte i'd struggle though it myself though should the opportunity arise. See what all the fuss is about.

Got the iPhone App of Tron yesterday and i don't have a clue whats going on :p

PLEASE GIVE ME TWO TICKETS I'M GOING MAD IN THE HOUSE FOR THE LAST 4 DAYS. NEED TO GET OUT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

LIFE OF BRIAN

Always manages to make me laugh, no matter how bad the day has been!!
    The only comedy for me that never gets past is "use by" date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Austin1

Okay, picture the scene: its 1980 and as a happy go lucky 8yr old, the absolute pinnacle of my TV viewing day arrives at 5pm every afternoon when the old black & white Flash Gordon cliffhanger serial would be shown on BBC2. Those old 20 minute programs had everything a kid needed - spacehips, laser guns, evil villains and aliens.

What could possibly top that? How about a full colour, big budget, feature length, big screen remake with a killer soundtrack from Queen??? I can still remember almost wetting my pants with excitement when I first saw the trailer for that……...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Serenity--I love it because it revolves around ne'er-do-wells in a hostile environment just trying to make it through each day. It has space battles and witty banter. There are zombies, and there are soulful moments of reflection.

The show was killed off for no good reason. The film flew under the radar. But it is still a triumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Somewhat recent but it has to be Inception. The best movie i have ever seen. Never been to a movie where i just about understand it the first time but have to go back to fully understand it and a third time to make up my own opinions on the things which happen!

Defiantly the best movie ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

All the Presidents Men a gripping film,able to build tension about phone calls at a desk. Redford and Hoffman are great in their roles. Also a great supporting cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rcazzy

Choosing a favourite out of so many movies is very very difficult. One of my most watched and loved films would have to be Donnie Darko. For a relatively small budget, it's one of the most well made and thought out science fiction/fantasy films with a basis in a pseudo reality.

It managed to create it's own mythology of time travel/alternate dimensions, vastly different from similar other such films and made a gripping story with the countdown to "the end of the world". Fantastic acting, great sparse use of humour and the perfect feeling of impending doom give it a quality so many films miss out on when trying to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

shawshank.jpg

The Shawshank Redemption - I don't think that I've experienced such a roller-coaster of emotion while watching a film. It's an utterly incredible piece of cinema and was robbed at the Oscars by Forrest bleedin' Gump. Plus it put Zihuatanejo on the map ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MaxiCane

Changes all the time, but up there on the list of all time greats has to be The Shawshank Redemption because it's the ultimate in well, redemption.

But the Pursuit of Happyness is also a brilliant movie.

I don't mind admitting that I sobbed a couple of times through that movie. The subway bathroom scene.

The final scene, that I won't spoil for anyone.

But there are so many...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Not sure about a favourite but one that really got the propellers going was;

The life of David Gale.
    Amazing story of a guy's struggle to prove his innocence after being imprisoned and on death row for the murder of his dearest friend. Beautifully written, shot and acted to perfection. If you haven't seen it then get your act together and do so! :D

Ah who am I kidding about a favourite,

It's Tron of course :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pulp Fiction.

"This is a tasty burger!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I'd be lying if I said it was Tron :)
    My favourite movie is Blazing Saddles because it was the first movie that really made me laugh out loud. I was crying from laughter even though I didn't understand half of the jokes because I was too young. As I got older, I understood more and more of the jokes and some of the subtle humour making every viewing a new experience.
    It was the movie me and my brother used to watch all the time with my dad and along with being a great movie, it reminds me of good times.
    By now I can recite the whole movie while watching it but I'm not allowed to when watching with friends :)

Advertisement