Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[CLOSED] Win tickets to the Irish premiere of TRON: LEGACY

Options
  • 02-12-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

uk_v2_tron_1600x1200.jpg

Hey folks

A brilliant competition for you - 50 pairs of tickets to the Irish premiere of TRON: LEGACY in Dublin next Wednesday, December 8.

'TRON: Legacy' is a 3D high-tech adventure set in a digital world that's unlike anything ever captured on the big screen.

Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund), a rebellious 27-year-old, is haunted by the mysterious disappearance of his father Kevin Flynn (Oscar®- and Golden Globe®-winner Jeff Bridges), a man once known as the world's leading video-game developer.

image6.jpg

When Sam investigates a strange signal sent from the old Flynn's Arcade—a signal that could only come from his father—he finds himself pulled into a digital world where Kevin has been trapped for 20 years.

image13.jpg

With the help of the fearless warrior Quorra (Olivia Wilde), father and son embark on a life-or-death journey across a visually-stunning cyber universe—a universe created by Kevin himself that has become far more advanced with never-before-imagined vehicles, weapons, landscapes and a ruthless villain who will stop at nothing to prevent their escape.

uk_v4_tron_1680x1050.jpg

Presented in Disney Digital 3D™ and scored by Grammy Award®-winning electronic music duo Daft Punk,'TRON: Legacy' hits U.S. theaters on Dec. 17, 2010 in Disney Digital 3D™ and IMAX® 3D.

We've got 50 pairs of tickets to the Irish premiere of Disney's Tron: Legacy in Dublin’s Savoy Cinema on Wednesday December 8th.

That’s nine days before it opens nationwide so you could be the first of your friends to see it.

To be in with a chance to win, just post below telling us your favourite movie and why, and you could be off to the movies…

Please get your posts in by midnight on Sunday, December 5. Winners will be notified on Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

The money pit..... Kinda fitting for the Irish situation....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The Sting, the little guy comes out on top. Maybe FF could get some tips from it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 overcaesar

Lost Highway - It was the first film I saw in the cinema that made me realise there was more to movies than spaceships, laser beams and 'splosions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 krudd

Honestly not sure. A film I can find myself watching over and over would be (500) Days of Summer. I get happy, I get sad, I get over it. It's like a nice wee relationship in under 2hours. Now THAT's speed dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dazzling_jem

The Usual Suspect, as it is simply the finest piece of cinema of all time. Damn that film was good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 PhotoIreland

BARAKA, a total classic shot in 70 mm, with no dialogue and the most amazing music.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103767/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

BladeRunner as it's a wonderful scifi noir movie which like all good scifi reflects on the nature of being human and the relationships we form.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

silence of the lambs is amazing, hopkins is just so creepy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobbyv12

Once Upon A Time in the West - Sergio Leone

I may be a film nerd but this is one of the most amazing films ever. It is the ultimate western, taking all the characteristics of the genre to new levels. The music of Ennio Morricone is gorgeous and serves to make each and every shot an operatic masterpiece (particularly the famous scene of the camera rising over the train station just as the music reaches its crescendo). Blue-eyed boy Henry Fonda playing a villain is genius. I could go on and on about this movie but I won't. *goes for a lie down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Big Lebowski.

Well, I'm in it, aren't I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My favourite film is Zoolander, because it's hilarious.

And if you don't agree, you can just derelick my balls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wonderful, simple animation and funny, poingnant writing. From the book by Ted Hughes and directed by Brad Bird (Of The Simpsons, The Incredibles and Ratatouille fame).

An underrated film that gets better with repeated viewing.

Plus, the Iron Giant himself was animated by Oscar winning (Avatar) Irish animator Richard Baneham.

See it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Raiders of the Lost Ark, because to me, its the perfect movie. Iconic character, one of the most memorable theme tunes ever (its in your head right now isnt it?) brilliant dialogue "Asps, very dangerous....you go first!", great villains (Nazi's always are) and some of the best action scenes ever (the fantastic opening, the Nepalese bar shootout, the flying wing scrap, the horse/truck chase). Sure nearly everything in it was inspired by the serials George Lucas grew up watching, but it was perfected here and a cinema classic was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bohoe

It has to be North by Northwest. Everything is perfect, the music, the script, the jokes, the thrill... just awesome. They don't make movies like that anymore!
    Except TRON, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Usual Suspect, as it is simply the finest piece of cinema of all time. Damn that film was good!

I preferred the sequel, The Usual Suspects myself.....:D

All time fave. though is The Director's Cut of Betty Blue - such passion, such craziness, effortlessly cool, stylish, sexy, fun and dark.....just like my wife, though God help me if she reads this. :)

And for any man who was a teenager in the '80's, the poster:
    MPW-26129

I also owe the director a thank you for helping me get an honour in French in the Leaving cert., without Betty I'd have failed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭eliza64

It's a wonderful life - Sure all our money is invested in our neighbour's homes.
    I love the never give up theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dr87

Fight Club would be mine- poignant social commentary, incredible acting, awesome action, and one hell of an ending. Every time I watch it I get something different out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chrisjones

Cheesy slapstick comedy from the 96 with Pauly Shore. The true reason i love this film so much is that after a long day, you can switch it on and not use your brain for the duration of it- while still loving every minute.:D

Check it out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J6qOSUJXy0
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bio-Dome

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Probably Citatde de Deus, or City of God.

I knew little to nothing of the Rio gangs, the kids with guns in the slums and police corruption when I watched it first but I've never had another film affect me as much. I know there was Schindler's list but I knew about the holocaust by the time I watched it so I knew what to expect. The movie floored me, the nature of the film left me speechless and one of the overall themes of "It's what we make of life" hit home big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pip1979

Lost In Translation...

It's simple but that's the way life is, we don't realise what really matters until we've become completely lost and need to find our way again.

I guess Tron kinda relates to that...
    we've lost ourselves so much in the digital world that we don't even realise it until we disconnect and look around at the real world around us...

*Hugs & Love* :) x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

My favourite has to be Interview With The Vampire - not because it's a masterpiece - just because I thought it was great as a teenager and watched it countless times. Can't resist watching it when It's on TV (you'll always watch stuff on TV with ads despite owning it on DVD!) and was great to see some of where it was filmed in New Orleans recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 StevieD55

Jean de Florette - wonderful film, cracking story, great performances and atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 1 heroesforsale

Blade Runner

It's a film I could watch over and over again and not get tired of it. It's a perfect combination of a visionary director and incredible source material. Pop culture wouldn't be the same without it. There are countless books, films, games and musicians that have lifted something from it and why not? It's perfect. Well, the director's cut at least. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 15 christianhughes

I absolutely love Dune - great cast, great special effects, great director and a brilliant adaptation of a phenominal novel. Without doubt my favourite movie of all time, hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Darren_Walsh

Its gotta be Zoolander or Airplane. They are both just joke after joke all the way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AndyGaff

‘Empire Strikes Back’

Without any shadow of a doubt, for me, the greatest film of all time is Empire Strikes back. While it would be very easy to say the reason why I love it is because its a damm fine film, its also a lot more than that. In explaining the deep level of my love for the film, I feel its best done, the way all great love songs and poetry are told, yes in the the style of a ‘Top of the Pops’ top three countdown. If it helps you can begin to hum ‘Whole Lot of Love’ right about now.

3. The lovely warm blanket effect

Yes like a charming cat rubbing her face into your leg in front of a roaring fire and or , god forbid for someone whose dream is to own a ‘Han Solo in carbonate coffee table’, a girl cuddling up to you asking do you want to play another game of ‘Goldeneye’. Empire Strikes Back is a huge comfort. If for example rather sick, or recently enough because of far too many ‘Red Room’ cocktails, really really hung over nothing is better than sitting on the sofa with a bowl of oxtail soup and putting on Empire. Rather like a greasy fry it offers everything a person needs when hung over from fantastic action scenes such as the At-At in the snow scene to shut your mind off to, some comedy scenes like when Han promises to arrange a wookie kiss to make you laugh after you can sort of remember telling a girl you liked the night before that you very much enjoy her facebook holiday pics and of course some down right romantic scenes making you think I should probably send her a message to say sorry. By the end of the 124 mins, even with the horribly dark ending, the feeling of hope and that things can be put right once again, really does make you feel better after you look through your ‘Outbox’ during the hours of 4 - 5 am on your phone.

2. The passing the torch effect

Much like the film was passed on to me from my big brother, I genuinely look forward to a time when I can show the movie to a wee one that may call me ‘Daddy’ ‘Uncle’ or most likely ‘Weekend Dad who takes me to Eddie Rockets while Mom and Uncle Teddy are having special time’. While of the course the wee lad will see in the entire saga, in an order that Im not sure of yet, this will be movie that I will study their little face to. In many ways the film grows up with you, from the point where your favorite moment may have been the asteroid chase scene that made you go ‘I wanna be a space dude’ to the point where you actually someone in an non ‘icky’ way and the ‘I love you / I know’ scene gives you a wee tear for the first time. It will be a very happy moment if either the little one says to me ‘Empire Stikes Back is my favvv filmm’ or lets be honest, if they do hate it, I can spend the ten grand or so it will probably cost to send the wee bugger through college at this point in time.

1. Simples..

With the current weather, its a damm fine film to remake

2010-12-02%2014.53.29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Well, I'm guessing Tron Legacy very well could be.. Loved the original movie, and with Daft Punk doing the sound track I can't fupping wait to see it!!! So much so that I've booked tickets to see it in NYC while I'm over there on my honeymoon!!!

Other than that, my fav film would probably be Jurrasic Park. I'll never forget going to see it when I was younger with my dad. We where on holidays in Wexford at the time... I could watch it over and over n over....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Impossible to answer this as it always changes.

If I had to pick now it would be Naked Gun. So stupidly funny it's genius. Every time I watch it I find it funny and sometimes notice a new joke. The cheese moving on the fridge, must of watched the film at least ten times before I noticed it. Leslie Nelson is also a comic god.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

My favotire movie is The Shining
    And now I'll tell you why
    All work and no play
    Makes Jack a dull guy

It's got everything you'd ask for
    To keep quite you amused
    Drama, gore, surprises
    And lots of blood that oozed

Red Rum, Red Rum or Murder?
    Can't forget the creepy twins
    It's my favorite film of all time
    To the end from when it begins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭bnt

My favourite film, overall, has to be Heat (1995), starring Robert de Niro & Al Pacino, directed by Michael Mann. On the one hand, it's a "cops and robbers" thriller; on the other hand, it raises relevant questions about why we do the things we do, and who we have to be to do those things.

What kind of person becomes a police officer, or a bank robber? Were they ordinary people who became extraordinary through their jobs? Did they have a choice? Either way, they end up on the fringes of society, less able to cope with the "barbecues and ballgames" of "normal" life. Mann's thesis is that cops and robbers may have more in common with each other than they do with the rest of us; like love and marriage, or a horse and carriage: you can't have one without the other. :cool:

It doesn't hurt that the film is beautifully shot by Dante Spinotti, with a cracking soundtrack masterminded by Elliot Goldenthal, and features strong supporting performances from Val Kilmer, Ashley Judd, Diane Venora, Tom Sizemore, Danny Trejo, William Fichtner, and a young Natalie Portman. If I ever get a Blu-Ray player and HD TV, Heat will be first on my list of purchases.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement