Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[CLOSED] Win tickets to the Irish premiere of TRON: LEGACY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

The Princess Bride - Adventure! Peril! Comedy! Parody! and Rodents of Unusual Size (if they actually exist). In my dotage I'm even getting around to enjoying the kissing parts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Taxi Driver. Why? I'll tell you why. DeNiro is at his finest in that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Raco316

my favourite movie is the departed!!
    brilliant cast and one of the most frantic endings i have ever seen.
    leonardo di caprio is one of my favourite actors and just gets better by the movie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nodramas

Favourite Film: The Shawshank Redemption (1994, Frank Darabont)

Why?: The Shawshank Redemption is a story about hope and dreams. It works not only as an excellent prison drama, but as a metaphor for overcoming our own private prisons. Not to be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Scrooged, reason? Bill Murray, the mans a genius, his speech at the end is a classic
    Plus... 'tis the season 'n' all..

(second would be original tron :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Ratatouille
    The zany antics mix with a fairly complex story, and each character’s struggle with various motivations blends into an incredible story.
    This is a film that can be appreciated by both adults and kids and will remain a favourite in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭roroduff

My favourite movie is Beaches, strange I know but I love it, I love the dodgey grainy colour it has because it was made in the 80's, the story is great, Bette Middler's singing is amazing. I saw her live in Las Vegas last year and even at 61 she was so good and able to keep up with the 20 year old dancers. Ive seen the movie countless number of times and it still makes me cry every time. Its a classic, real feel good movie thats worth a watch if you havent seen it yet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Last of the Mohicans, a really timeless film, a great story and most importantly I think probably the best ever musical score in a movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

Schindlers List
    Directed by Spielberg it has a smashing cast with Liam Neeson as Schindler, Ralph Fiennes as the evil Goth (couldn't have cast this role better) and Ben Kingsley who always impresses.
    It's a poignant depiction of the true story of Oskar Schindler and his efforts to save as many Jews as possible during WW2.*
    There's 2 standout scenes which I always remember from the film, when Schindler sees the girl in the red coat on the cart and you see the look on his face and at the end when he breaks down because he thinks he could've saved more he even pulls the gold Nazi pin off his jacket and says it would have been worth at least one more Jew
    Overall a very affecting film which is why it's my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

My Favourite movie is Groundhog Day. It seems like every day in Ireland is Groundhog day.

First D.J.: Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.
    Second D.J.: It's coooold out there every day. What is this, Miami Beach?
    First D.J.: Not hardly. And you know, you can expect hazardous travel later today with that, you know, that, uh, that blizzard thing.
    Second D.J.: I]mockingly[/I That blizzard - thing. That blizzard - thing. Oh, well, here's the report! The National Weather Service is calling for a "big blizzard thing!"
    First D.J.: Yessss, they are. But you know, there's another reason why today is especially exciting.
    Second D.J.: Especially cold!
    First D.J.: Especially cold, okay, but the big question on everybody's lips...
    Second D.J.: - On their chapped lips...
    First D.J.: - On their chapped lips, right: Do ya think Phil is gonna come out and see his shadow?
    Second D.J.: Punxsutawney Phil!
    First D.J.: Thats right, woodchuck-chuckers - it's
    I]in unison[/I
    First D.J.: GROUNDHOG DAY!
    Second D.J.: GROUNDHOG DAY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Blade Runner, one of the few films i can watch again and again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Don't know if I could pick one favourite film but put on the spot maybe Almost Famous. Always makes me wanna ditch everything and become a writer, rockstar or whatever I could think of, maybe one day I will... probably not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

My favorite movie,

Has to be ghostbusters
    ghostbusters.jpg

, as many will know on the movie forum my love for this movie.

The reason behind it is it serves as one of my earliest memories of life and of cinema, It's held up well over time and i had the joy of seeing it earlier this year in the Screen cinema on Hawkins St Dublin. Which i found out about thanks to boards and Outlaw Pete who has constantly updated the Classic Movies and Screenings thread.

The reason being i watched the cartoons on tv and loved the toys and movie (i was 3/4 advertising got to me)

When i moved to Ireland in 1989 my mum brought me to the cinema and gave me my first memory which is a 4 year old going to the Stillorgan Cinema, now the ormonde (may still have been the ormonde then) when its entrance was underground through the carpark to the right of some escalators which i would love to find out where they led. They always had a creepy vibe

I remember it being tiny the cinema foyer, you had the box office and that being just enough to hold one person the old fashioned ones with the ticket stubs through the counter that you mostly see now in the likes of Bray arcade when you win tickets for prizes.

Then there was a small stand that housed one person behind a long glass counter with sweets and drinks. I remember getting a small bag of malteasers too :D

We went up the small stairs maybe 3 or 4 steps to the screen,

It was Ghostbusters 2 we saw that day, but i remember being scared so much when the skelatel hand came out of the slime and grabbed Rays foot and how big the pram looked on the screen.

I had a tape of all the cartoons and the original movie that i watched so much it broke. (i even tried to repair it but alas to no avail)

To this day i can still recite every word of the movie and hopefully one day bring my Ghostbuster one man show to a theatre that will actually let me put it on and admit there is an audience for one man reciting a movie :D

- Allan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Tefral

Was told to post here in a PM

Shawshank Redemption - I know its a bit of a cliché but it has everything you need from a film. Now a days alot of films rely totally on special effects and the story line is a bit weak, but this one is an all time classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtwXlIwozog

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

Anchor Man - Hilarious movie and so many quotes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

[500] Days of Summer. It's one of those movies that define a generation; it also showed that rom-coms can have a credible storyline and still manage to be funny, touching and hearfelt (the Annie Hall of my generation!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ryaner012

the life of brian,

pure comic genius, and a great take on a story happening at the same time as the birth and life of Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭thom119

my favourite film has to be anchorman

it's one you can watch over and over again and still laugh

it's also the most quotable film in history!
    It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I would have to say Girl Interrupted for me. It's poignant, with an engaging script as well as interesting and diverse charachters. Some top acting to be found with memorable performances,notably Angelina Jolie, who gives a believable and thought provoking performance, with the story keeping you interested from start to finish. It's hard to pick a favourite movie, but in terms of effectiveness and memorability, Girl Interrupted defintely ranks up there

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

crouching tiger, hidden dragon... as its just a thing of beauty :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

For me it would have to be The Never Ending Story - just because it was the first movie I saw in the cinema and I remember being so excited to be there with my friends - the cinema shut down in my town after that and I didn't get to a cinema until I was a teen after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The empire strikes back is quality and still stands the test of time!

the goodies get a good hammering throught out the whole film and the whole "Luke KKKKkkkkk I AM YOUR FATHER!" BIT CLASSIC

Oh i really would like to go to TRON - Mybrother would go ape if we got them

go ESB you rock! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ederkeh

Has to be One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Charlie Cheswick is my favourite character. The film completely sucks you into this world inside mental hospital. Absolutely devastating but brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Dodgeball. It taught me that if I can dodge a wrench, then I can dodge a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

Tough question for the film geeks :)

If I had to pick a film would have to be the Blues Brothers. Growing up musical films meant Annie, the sound of music and such.. but when I started to hear about this film supposedly banned in Ireland, but that it piqued my interest. I remember watching it the first time (knowing Dan Aykroyd but not John Belushi) it struck a chord falling somewhere between anarchy and heaven. A little slapstick, a lot of deadpan, a lot of car wrecks, Princess Leia as a stalker, the first cameo I recognised (Speilberg) and illinois nazis... but I think what pulled me in the most was the way it showed that music can sustain a film in a really meaningful way (as another "character") and that soundtracks can be just as "must have" as the film. It expanded my musical horizons in a way that probably wouldn't have happened otherwise..

I owe a lot to John Landis and this film..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Pulp Fiction... just coz! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Evil Dead 2
    Low Budget, High Splatter. One of the great movies with a great performace by Bruce Campbell with lines repeated almost everywhere.
    In one word..............Groovey :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Logan's Run.
    First great adventure I watched and enjoyed. Also because of jenny Agutter.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Killing Fields.

It's just a very moving story, and I loved it because it shows how determination and hope can be the strongest tools anybody can have.

Seeing two different people on different sides of the world go through very different forms of pain and suffering and yet constantly hold onto hope is quite a moving story.

And the final line of the film could easily be one of the most powerful in the history of modern cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Zoolander, Plain stupid fun!

Advertisement