Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[CLOSED] Win tickets to the Irish premiere of TRON: LEGACY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 yahowho

"cannibal women in the avocado jungle of Death " for three reasons

It has an Indiana Jones-style moving red line on a map
    Jim's canteen has pina colada in it instead of water
    Contains quotes such as

Dr. Kurtz: This is a war! A war between men and women. Anything short of cannibalism is just beating around the bush

Jim: All you women have ever done is… what? Some French chick invented kryptonite, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy has to be my favourite set of movies ever.

I think out of the three The Return of The King tops it.

I love the passion the cast and crew had for the movie and how the really made it feel special just like the books! I have to say I am pretty obsessed with this movie. I have tonnes of figures, all the books, even a replica of the One Ring!
    I can practically quote the movie all the way through... (Geeky, I know :( )

I used to watch these movies ALL the time, now they're at home so I rarely see them :(

Nothing can beat them though!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Shawshank Redemption - beautiful film about hope and friendship, and how it triumphs over adversity. The only film I have ever cried tears of joy over. Nothing short of majestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Terminator 2 Judgement Day - Just the perfect action film, Score by Brad Freidel is the perfect electrosynth mix. Arnold at his very best and Robert Patrick brilliant as the T1000.

This film was made all the better as i got to see it at 1am one friday before general release and the crowd was buzzing, Best cinema experience i have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

It has to be V for Vendetta for reminding us that "People shouldn't be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 debsy

There are so many great films - I have to agree with a lot of the posts above! One that really stands out for me is E.T. - amazing on so many levels. And also, it's the only film that I've ever known to make my Dad cry, in fact probably the only time I've seen him cry is watching E.T!! So it can affect even the most macho of men!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Niall558

My favorite movie"

Almost everybody likes to watch movies and we have seen a lot of them. Some of them are better than others. Sometimes people have different opinions whether a particular movie is good or not. The movie I like the most is a story about mentally deficient man. The whole picture is funny, moving and we see a great performance by actors and actresses. Therefore my favorite movie is "Forrest Gump" by Robert Zemeckis.
    The movie is full of very funny dialogues and situations. It's a good quality humor though. We have many chances to laugh at innocence and the naivety of Forrest. I find that kind of humor very interesting and the whole movie is really funny.
    "Forrest Gump" is a very moving story. It shows that it's possible to enjoy life without being stingy, materialistic or ruthless. It helps us to realize that there are many people among us that were born with various defects. That fact makes me think how fortunate I am to be totally healthy. The movie contains also a love story. It's a dramatic plot because Forrest loves a girl who doesn't think of him as a serious partner because of his defect. However they eventually get married. Although she passes away due to a fatal disease. Moreover we see love between mother and son where Forest's mom even slept with the school principal in order to give the son a chance of going to a normal school. All those things make me think of this movie as of a very moving story.
    We see very good performance by Tom Hanks and many other actors and actresses. The movie was awarded with eleven Academy Awards, which is a very good proof that it's a fabulous movie. As a result I consider Tom Hanks one of the best actors.
    As we've seen I have many reasons to think that this movie is the one I like the most. Great humor, moving scenes and a great performance by the actors and actresses are my main arguments. That's why "Forrest Gump" is my favorite movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭StopWatch

For me it has to be Cinema Paradiso
    It's a film that reminds me that movies, all kinds of movies, can be totally magical on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 philip kelly

Tron as it was the first one I ever went to alone, in Bray on the Balcony when they had a balcony.
    I had the picture up on my wall when I was 12.
    I spent about a year in 2nd year in Pres Bray on a Apple europe II trying to replicate the lightcycle diagonal in pascal/basic.
    I did and was very proud much to the amusement of all my firends.
    I still have the original book.
    I now work as Arch Visualisation business and it had a major influence on all the straight lines I now draw............sort of.

So there ya go.

phil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

For me it has to be Serenity. After Firefly was cancelled I was in withdrawal, I could not believe that there would be no more of the gang and all their whacky adventures....then they announced Serenity and I was blown away by how they made such a great standalone movie and were true to the fans and the TV series at the same time!

Joss Whedon you are a GOD ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

My favourite movie is Silence of the Lambs. I think Hannibal Lecter is the greatest character/villain ever created. You can't help but love him.

Edit: just had to mention that Zoolander is my favourite comedy. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Chris Dowling

Brazil by Terry Gilliam

Government sponsored fake terror, consumerism, bureaucracy, fear, ugliness, parody and dreams of love .It all happens when the Goverment gain too much control in a world where everybody is broke and the only way to escape is to crack up!

Come to think of it it could be renamed Ireland! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

'The Party' - Peter Sellers.

Best movie ever, full stop. If you haven't seen it, you must find a shop that has it and watch it.

Elvis Presley's favorite film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Party_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭spannerism

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

This is an all time classic. Everyone wishes they had a day off like Ferris did. It's total self indulgence.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it,” Ferris Bueller

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Cool Hand Luke, a wonderfully beautiful film. Brilliant script and immaculate acting just blended effortlessly together.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ordin73

“The Lord of the Rings” is my favourite film/films.
    As a kid I read the book and thought there was nothing like it. But when I got to see the 1978 animation of it, I was just so disappointed. Then it was reported that someone called "Peter Jackson" was going to try to make a film and I dreaded to see what was coming. But, Oh my goodness, did he ever make a great job of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

To be honest my favorite movie changes from time to time. Currently it is Moon. I am a massive sci-fi fan and for me this was a return to the classic sci-fi movies that I grew up on, so it became an instant classic for me, transporting me back to my childhood.

Oh, and the musical score in the move is awesome too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Asha

my favourite movie is the Back to the future movies which brought a mix great entertainment, ground breaking technology and fantastic story line...not forgetting good comedy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

well thats a hard one.........

never seen the first tron but saw the trailer the other day at the harry potter movie and it does look pretty awesome....

if i had to pick one as my favourite it would have to be BRAVEHEART......FREEDOOOOOOOM........hehe

but there are alot of other that come close
    wedding crashers
    oldschool
    the 3 matrix
    never back down
    i am legend
    rocky I-iv
    the new batman films
    and about 734 others............but yeah braveheart kicks ass....hmm....add that kickass movie to the list to.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Very tough - depends on the Genre really - my faves:

District 9
    Withnail and I
    Che (1, specifically)

What tops them all would be Apocalypse now, I just reckon its one of the best ones ever. Outstanding Movie. Both the Original release and the Redux version.
    Dark, but brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Dr. Strangelove.

Bit obsessed with Kubrick and this is one of the more infinitely watchable. Perfect dark comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Jurassic Park, because it is awesome!
    And I'm a dino-nerd freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Jeez its tough to think of your favorite! so many to choose from..

But the one I've gone back to most often is Calafornia Man (Encino Man). Sure it lacks the depth of other movies, doesnt have the strongest script or the best of acting, but I always feel happier after watching it. Its a switch your brain off sit back and enjoy movie, and there's nothing wrong with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭highfive

Aliens. This time it's war! First there was one alien and that was scary enough. Now there's loads and they're only after one thing: blood! Best action movie ever, still looks good...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Connie_c28

oh favourite One is a hard one...

Would probably be Pay it Forward. I cried so much at this that the man beside me went out and got me tissue lol. Still cry whenever I watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Teflon T Shock

Withnail and I - because it's a beautifully written, beautifully acted movie that combines great pathos with fantastic humour. It captured the zeitgest when it was made but it's timeless. You get something from it every time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

My favourite film is Terminator 2. It's just the coolest movie ever made. The characters are iconic, the storyline is a great twist and progression on the first film, it's CGI in a film done absolutely perfectly. It's also beautifully shot. A perfect sci-fi action film that everyone can enjoy. But it's also a story about acceptance and family. Seeing arnie kick that desk through the window of a sky-scraper and open fire with a mini-gun.....so fantastic.

I love the T-1000. A terrifying notion of a Terminator smaller but more deadly than Arnie. I love how we see him use shape-shifting in different situations (from stabbing, opening doors, passing through bars...) everything about the film I just love.

I saw it when I was 8 and it's stayed with me since. I remember spending my pocket-money buying extra copies of the newspaper because it had a full-page poster of Arnie on the motorcycle in it. My brothers had started getting me into rock music and Guns N' Roses was the first band I warmed to, and hearing "You Could Be Mine" in the film confirmed that this film was awesome, it had GnR's 'stamp of approval'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

its a wonderful life.
    out of all the movies i have seen and own, this is an amazing emotional rollercoaster of feeling for the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Apocalypse Now, I too love the smell of napalm in the morning.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 timetrax

Most definitely the Shawshank Redemption as its the first movie that ever made me cry!

Advertisement