Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[CLOSED] Win tickets to the Irish premiere of TRON: LEGACY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mclovin442

denballs wrote: »
    not to deminish your opinion or anything as i know its the highest ranked fim ever made #1 on imdb,s top films of all time..........but ive never been able to get past the first half hour of the first godfather film.........and i watch at least 10 movies a week.............is it just hype that makes people say its great or is there actually any reason/s it is supposedly so good.

{sorry if it annoys anyone that i asked this in a competition thread but its really getting to me how i seem to be the only person who fell asleep at the start of the godfather}

I know The Godfather was an obvious choice really and I know some people say that its all hype or the film insists upon itself and I understand that some people dont like it but this is a competition for our favourite film. For someone who is not a fan of the film I very much doubt that anything i say will change your mind but The Godfather is my type of film. I can list some reasons why I think its great but, again cannot make you like it.
    The acting from the entire cast throughout this film is superb, with exceptional performance from Brando and Al Pachino as Don Vito and Michael Corleone. These great performances create an atmosphere of authentisity throughout the film allowing the us to be immersed in each of the charachters struggles and triumphs. The cinematogrophy throughout was flawless in creating the 1946 (<- i think!) feel. Aspects such as the lighting and colours were done perfectly to give us that true feel of the era it was set in. Also the script was amazing in my opinion, evertime I watch it I notice something different to enhance my opinion of this film.
    Those are some of my reasons, I probably have not done the film justice in my review but you asked for my reasons and I have given them. I would imagine its not going to change your mind buut we are all welcome to our own opinions and I respect yours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cattleforker

Dead Or Alive 2 by Takashi Miike.
    Perfect mix of sentiment, violence and off the wall humour, this film displays the directors ability to make you laugh cry and wince in the one scene. The themes of nostalgia and brotherly love are what make it my favourite film.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

Black Hawk Down - “Leave no man behind,”

through thick and thin, smoke and grenade craters, bullets and missiles, the Rangers and the Deltas followed that sh*t to the bitter, bloody end. great movie and Soundtrack by hans Zimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Relentleslee

My favorite movie has to be Chicago :D I'm not really one for musicals, I find them cringeworthy, But for some reason but this film just brilliant, Catherine Zeta Jones character just steals the show, The songs are very catchy and the plot line is actually decent compared to other musicals. It's just brilliant, whats not to love? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Shawshank Redemption... hope is a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

The Wizard of Oz

My favourite movie of all time has to be the Wizard of Oz. I have it on DVD, Blu Ray and VHS, yet still have to watch it everytime it comes on TV!!

Its the simplicity of the movie that gets me everytime - there is no place like home.

And it spans the generations like no other movie ever will.

Love it - and I'm 38, but forever Young at Heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭teufelswerk

A bit leftfield on this one, The Mission.

Some of the most striking imagery of any film I've seen, great plot and a strong cast. Also has one of the best scores written for any film.

The Gabriels Oboe scene is phenomenal, check it on YouTube if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

My favourite film is the Big Lebowski because it is one of the funniest films ever made.

I want to go to this because I want to see the Dude in 3-D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Hoop Dreams.

My favourite film is one which has seeming flown under the radar for a lot of people. It's a documentary following two young basketball players with hopes of making it to the NBA. It follows them for over five years as they struggle with basketball and life in inner City Chicago.

It's so enthralling and emotionally engaging that the first time I watched it was on a late night bus journey and when one of the players missed a vital shot I shouted 'NO' out loud and caused a right scene. Didn't care though. Even if I don't win any tickets, if just one more person watches this film after reading this I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

12 Angry Men
    Because you start of in one mindset and finish the film with an open mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

chordtype wrote: »
    Hoop Dreams.

My favourite film is one which has seeming flown under the radar for a lot of people. It's a documentary following two young basketball players with hopes of making it to the NBA. It follows them for over five years as they struggle with basketball and life in inner City Chicago.

It's so enthralling and emotionally engaging that the first time I watched it was on a late night bus journey and when one of the players missed a vital shot I shouted 'NO' out loud and caused a right scene. Didn't care though. Even if I don't win any tickets, if just one more person watches this film after reading this I'll be happy.

You've sold it to me, Ill give it a watch, that reminded me of my favourite film, Finding Forrester, great movie about a very talented basketball player who struggles in school before meeting William Forrester (Sean Connerey) who was once a highly regarded author but disappeared into the abyss. Sounds boring, but its actually a really good movie ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Brave heart. It's one of the earliest movies I remember watching with my father and I always loved it. I always seemed to enjoy the movie even if I had just watched it a few days beforehand I Would have no problem watching it again!

Good luck to everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hex

The spectacle that is Chicago - it's got spunk, sparkle and a soundtrack I could listen to on repeat without ever escaping the chills that run through me during the piano improv. The versatility of the leading ladies Catherine Zeta Jones and Renee Zellweger never ceases to amaze me - the cast is just mind blowingly talented. It's so well put together, I've watched it countless times and for the majority of them I get so completely absorbed in their world that the house could fall to shambles around me for all I'd notice. Ringing house phones, howling animals, angry father pummeling the doorbell - literally nothing can tear me away from this masterful work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

My favorite movie of all time is this Italian movie named Cinema Paradiso,which I first saw whilst studying for my leaving cert 10 years ago,It's about this little town in Italy where an old projectionist befriends a young child, and their shared love for cinema brings them together.

It also has quite possibly the saddest ending of any film I've ever watched. I'm not usually a sap when it comes to movies,but I swear,I've seen Cinema Paradiso about 5 or 6 times and cry every time.

Hell, I've cried just watching that scene on youtube.It's a MUST watch for anyone that is a movie buff,and the amazingly beautiful cinematography helps quite a bit. If you do watch it tho,I'd recommend against viewing the director's cut, it adds about an hour of unnecessary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

The Empire Strikes Back..."I am your father"...still freaks me out as it did when I was 5 years old in the cinema!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

mclovin442 wrote: »
    I know The Godfather was an obvious choice really and I know some people say that its all hype or the film insists upon itself and I understand that some people dont like it but this is a competition for our favourite film. For someone who is not a fan of the film I very much doubt that anything i say will change your mind but The Godfather is my type of film. I can list some reasons why I think its great but, again cannot make you like it.
    The acting from the entire cast throughout this film is superb, with exceptional performance from Brando and Al Pachino as Don Vito and Michael Corleone. These great performances create an atmosphere of authentisity throughout the film allowing the us to be immersed in each of the charachters struggles and triumphs. The cinematogrophy throughout was flawless in creating the 1946 (<- i think!) feel. Aspects such as the lighting and colours were done perfectly to give us that true feel of the era it was set in. Also the script was amazing in my opinion, evertime I watch it I notice something different to enhance my opinion of this film.
    Those are some of my reasons, I probably have not done the film justice in my review but you asked for my reasons and I have given them. I would imagine its not going to change your mind buut we are all welcome to our own opinions and I respect yours!!

Thank you for taking the time to reply i now understand why you like it and i do not....you see a sort of glamouous edge to it that does not interest me..........im more of a big bang and fast car kinda guy....
    i hope you understand that i was,nt asking you to give reasons as proof of why it was a good fim i really just wanted to know what aspects of it make it so memerable for you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Back To The Future became my favourite film of all time when I was a kid laid up in traction for 6 weeks at the Children's Ward. Unable to walk or get up, and the tape already in the VCR, it was either that or the copy of Beaches laid next to it.

It's the only time I ever felt glad I was completely helpless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Netrod

For me its got to be the remake of the Thomas Crown affair with Pierce Brosnan,the whole film oozes class! the song at the end when hes returning the painting, "Sinnerman" by Nina Simone became my favourite song ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

My favourite film is The Prestige because it has a brilliant plot , twists and turns . And of course because Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are in it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭markwho

My favourite movie is the Big Lebowski,cos Jeff Bridges is friggin awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

It's gotta be Wall-E.
    Who couldn't love that little robot, and all his desperate attempts to get the cute robot EVE. Made me die a little inside when he looked all sad... It was the only movie I had last year on DVD when I was sick with swine flu, I watched it over and over and over and over. and the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVA3jgpgIY8 has been stuck in my head ever since I watched it. Pixar are genius!

Also, this picture just makes me want to watch it again...
    3355094053_278966cc44_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dappper

im gonna take one from my youth which was about 20 years ago my favorite film is actually a cartoon called transformers the movie when i was young in the 80's and that came out, that first half hour of that film was amazing to me it was an overload of emotion. when optimus prime was fighting the decepticons and that song in the background (your the best you got the power yeahhh) was amazing and then the sad part of when he passes away it was just an amazing cartoon,okay the next 45 mins weren't great but the ending was. the rest of my life i felt like hot rod turning in to rodiumus prime a coming of age for me that film was made me want to be a leader. (sadly only ever a leader on the football pitch but still every dog has its day.:))

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Has to be "The Shawshank Redemption" for me. Fantastic perfromances from Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman and a great prison break story as well. Always worth a watch and timeless to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

Wow that's a tough one, but I'd have to say that my favourite movie is Charlie Bartlett. Charlie is just so inspirational because he's so different and all he wants to do is fit in. He never gives up on just being a nice guy so much so that even his bully becomes his friend, plus the whole idea of him trying to help people by putting them on prescription drugs is just funny as a misguided attempt to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

My favourite film of all time has to be "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" ... I'm just absolutely crazy about that film!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

The Cable Guy, Coz he's crazy just like me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

So many to choose from but I'm going to go for The Hurricane.
    Everything from Denzel Washington as Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter to the soundtrack,namely Bob Dylan's song,is excellent. Without wanting to give the plot away,the film really highlights the unfairness and prejuidice agaisnt African Americans at the time and the fight for justice in it is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 VelocityGirl

I guess one of my favourite films is Broadcast News. It's a wonderfully written comedy about the dumbing down of journalism and how the news is constructed to become entertainment.

Also within this film is a clever portrayal of unrequited love, friendships that change and choices at pivotal moments in a life. It's one I watch again and again!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092699/

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Has to be Fight Club for me, a genuinely unpredictable twist, mixed with dark humour and just darkness as a whole makes it a must see for anyone. Everytime you watch it you see something new that makes you ask yourself how you didn't cop it quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Raoul

Favourite film is the godfather. Love the book, love the film and love the actors. Love everything about it.

Advertisement