Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March 27/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Governments don't keep stacks of money under ministers beds.

Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

In Ireland no matter what the root cause blocking any solution will always be the people who suffer a complete lack of original thinking. The ones who have a problem for every solution rather than a better of improved proposal....

Have you thought of anything original? What's the problem with thinking something through properly rather than revelling in mediocrity?
    Corporation tax is levied on corporations. For example a corporation providing euthanasia services.

...and stem cell research? Ignored that now have we? So how many "billions" are going to be recouped from euthanasia companies?
    A deliberate attempt to misunderstand there I'd say. Mick O'Brien, Smurfit and Co are hardly in the same league as a barman.

So where is the line drawn?
    Eh use the revenue, name the perpetrators, put the system in the spotlight, make people aware of how it works so every time it happens again the gombeen men reported..

What revenue? Revenue from corruption in the 1920's? What do we do seize the assets of the grandchildren?
    You know already beforehand that something not being done doesn't work!

Yeah as a matter of fact I do.
    Better to give them the status of companies than allow them to freeload on the tax system.

So who are the shareholders? Who are the managment and co. sec? Are they allowed to give dividends? What are they allowed to deduct as expenses? What other non profit organisations should be made into companies? Or is this another example of ill thought out populism? What country in the world taxes a major organised religion? How do you enforce the RCC to form a company in this jurisdiction? How many religions do we tax? What do we deem to be charitable expenditure? Ever seen a set of parish accounts?

Details, little details.... There are dry counties still in the US. So what?

Yeah, forget about the details, let's just focus on ideas that actually go nowhere but I suppose it's fun to dream.
    The one about language is way out in terms of originality to the average mind. Not so much that it's not easily possible, with a little effort, but in as much as short view thinkers couldn't even begin to see it..

Can you grasp the difference between originality and just plain ridiculous?
    I blame the CCL run school system.

LOL. :rolleyes:

When one countries owes money to another country they owe it to its banks. You surely don't imagine that Angela Merkel would be arriving with a suitcase stuffed with banknotes if Ireland wanted to borrow from Germany. Governments don't keep stacks of money under ministers beds.

No, when we owe money to another country we owe it the country itself, it doesn't matter where they keep it. Owing the money to private banking institutions is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

javaboy wrote: »
    Bertie.

Ya got me there. Only in Ireland.............though I don't think he'd have had enough stashed in Lukes to be bailing out whole countries.

prinz wrote: »
    No, when we owe money to another country we owe it the country itself, it doesn't matter where they keep it. Owing the money to private banking institutions is very different.

Where do they keep the money?

In..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

In..........

If you withdraw €500 and lend it to me I owe you the money not your bank.

In..........

OK, let's do this one last time. The Irish banks borrowed from private banks and finance house, lending institutions etc. Therefore they owe these banks back.

If I take a loan out of AIB tomorrow, and you happen to have a deposit there too, do I owe the loan to the bank, or to you?

Take two companies, A and B. Both do their banking with the same bank. They both borrow €1000 from the same bank. So they both owe the bank €1000. Company A buys goods from company B for €500. Now company A owes the bank €1000 and company B €500, company A does not owe company B €1500.

Can't make it any simpler.

k_mac wrote: »
    If you withdraw €500 and lend it to me I owe you the money not your bank.

If you borrow €500 from a German bank who do you owe the money to?

Where does a country keep it's money?

I'll make it easy,just pick one:

A. Under the mattress
    B. In the fridge
    C. Under the countries floorboards
    D. In Banks

I'll make it easy,just pick one:

A. Under the mattress
    B. In the fridge
    C. Under the countries floorboards
    D. In Banks

It doesn't matter where someone keeps their money. If it is their money to lend it is them that is owed and not the banks.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter where someone keeps their money. If it is their money to lend it is them that is owed and not the banks.

A county is not "someone".

A county is not "someone".

Mostly in banks. As do most people. But that does not mean the bank owns the money or is owed the money if it withdrawn. Surely you understand that?

Mostly in banks. As do most people. But that does not mean the bank owns the money or is owed the money if it withdrawn. Surely you understand that?

Mostly in banks? Hilarious! So countries keep their cash "mostly" in banks?

Do they keep the rest of it buried in a hole in the governments back garden?

The money in question is not a withdrawal it's a loan. Surely you understand the difference between getting a loan from a bank as opposed to say Ireland, having money on deposit in a German bank and deciding to withdraw some or all of that money.

The money a bank lends is owed to the bank.

The system of fractional reserve banking* largely pioneered by the Swedish Rikisbank in 1665 CE means a bank lends money based on it's deposits. The borrower owes the bank not the depositors.

But you know that right? After all though it's too complicated for some people it's really pretty simple.

The German government oversees the German economy of which the financial institutions are a part. The German political wing represents the interests of it's financial institutions. Together with a number of other elements they're called....A COUNTRY.

Irish banks screwed up. Now this country owes the money they borrowed.

*Of which only a fraction needed to be kept in reserve based on the belief that depositors were unlikely to demand their money en mass otherwise commonly referred to as a run on the bank.

Have you thought of anything original? What's the problem with thinking something through properly rather than revelling in mediocrity?

TD: Allow Stem Cell Research! Redesign English! Tax Religion! Legalise Ganga! De-Criminalise Sex!

Crawthumper: Ah sure dats only revellin' in the oul mediocrity, has yeh got antin original loike?
    ...and stem cell research? Ignored that now have we? So how many "billions" are going to be recouped from euthanasia companies?

No I didn't you did. Try reading your own posts. This is exactly the attitude that dogs this country.
    So where is the line drawn?

Cars are legal. Who on earth though do you think came up with a set of rules and regulations governing motor vehicles? For anything new do we have to wait for some mythical beardy guy to arrive down a mountain with rules on stone tablets?
    What revenue? Revenue from corruption in the 1920's? What do we do seize the assets of the grandchildren?

Your'e stuck in the 1920's. That makes you part of a very big club in Ireland.

Magical Melina has left her caravan and with her crystal ball will be heading for Kildare street to assist the government in the future. The bondholders have taken note and the markets have started to react. Horray!

So who are the shareholders? Who are the managment and co. sec? Are they allowed to give dividends? What are they allowed to deduct as expenses? What other non profit organisations should be made into companies? Or is this another example of ill thought out populism? What country in the world taxes a major organised religion? How do you enforce the RCC to form a company in this jurisdiction? How many religions do we tax? What do we deem to be charitable expenditure? Ever seen a set of parish accounts?

See the one about cars.
    Yeah, forget about the details, let's just focus on ideas that actually go nowhere but I suppose it's fun to dream.

Magical Melina has reached Kildare St and advised the government. She recommend the promotion of a National Dreaming Program. Magical Melina pointed out to the the FF cabinet that the whole problem was caused because the voters had become too occupied with reality!

When Mary Coughlan was given the news that 4 bondholders had committed suicide she remarked "Shhre so, does that mean we sthill owe dem de money? Begorrah this is Alexander Graham Bellian Evolution in action.

That's easy: you're providing examples of the latter with each post you make.

TD: Allow Stem Cell Research! Redesign English! Tax Religion! Legalise Ganga! De-Criminalise Sex!

Only one original idea.... redesign English. Ridiculous.
    No I didn't you did. Try reading your own posts. This is exactly the attitude that dogs this country.

Not quite. What we need is proper thinking, not populism.
    Cars are legal. Who on earth though do you think came up with a set of rules and regulations governing motor vehicles? For anything new do we have to wait for some mythical beardy guy to arrive down a mountain with rules on stone tablets?

Wtf? So that's a "I don't have a clue" then is it? Thought so.
    Your'e stuck in the 1920's. That makes you part of a very big club in Ireland.

:rolleyes: Thanks for the laughs.
    Magical Melina has left her caravan and with her crystal ball will be heading for Kildare street to assist the government in the future. The bondholders have taken note and the markets have started to react. Horray!

That sounds suspiciously like an admission that you don't have a clue how the Catholic Church in Ireland could be formed into a company. SO we're back to square one.

You need to have more than a passing familiarity with the dictonary when throwing around words like “populism” and “originality.
    Have you thought of anything original?

Well yeah. At least, it seems according to this guy below (though it's hardly a great recommendation.)
    Only one original idea.... redesign English. Ridiculous

But hold on.............

Try to come to one conclusion or another. Since you're implying (albeit in a very convoluted way) that redeisgning English is, on the one hand original, and on the other hand ridiculous, you dont seem to think there is any difference. The comment is so garbled it's also possible you think that becauses something is original it's threfore ridiculous which might go some way to explaing your pathetically negative state of mind. One way or the other your'e confused to say the least.

Later on this goes from the “just plain ridiclous” to “populism”. That's some trip. Something that's populist can't be widely accepted as being ridiculous at one and the same time.
    Not quite. What we need is proper thinking, not populism.

One side of your mental elevator is trying to go in the opposite direction to the other.

Explain how proposing that this country should decriminalise sex between consenting adults, leglaise stem cell research and marijuana as well as radically redesigning the English language, falls into the category of populism?
    That sounds suspiciously like an admission that you don't have a clue how the Catholic Church in Ireland could be formed into a company. SO we're back to square one.
    Circular thinink: you invent a scenario all on your own and then go into a little song and dance because somone else didn't explain to you how your sefl invented condition could be achieved. No wonder you'r still at square one: you never left it. Nobody but you brought up the idea that the RCC would have to be formed into a company.

You brought that up all on youre own.
    If you are going to tax organised religions, you'd presumably have to give them the status of companies. This doesn't work, hence your plan doesn't work.

“If you are going to tax organised religions” : This referes to something in the future.
    “This doesn't work” : That's present tense and implies that something is already taking place and has been seen to fail. Something yet to be tried in the future can't be said not to be working in the present.

Only people who make delusional claims about clairvoyance would think so...

Magical Melian and her crystal ball! Park your caravan in O'Connell street you'll do a roaring trade!

You need to have more than a passing familiarity with the dictonary when throwing around words like “populism” and “originality.

Try to come to one conclusion or another. Since you're implying (albeit in a very convoluted way) that redeisgning English is, on the one hand original, and on the other hand ridiculous, you dont seem to think there is any difference.!

Maybe you should know that originality and ridiculousness are not mutually exclusive.
    Later on this goes from the “just plain ridiclous” to “populism”. That's some trip. Something that's populist can't be widely accepted as being ridiculous at one and the same time..

Who said it was widely held as ridiculous? IMO it's ridiclous. See the difference?
    “If you are going to tax organised religions” : This referes to something in the future. “This doesn't work” : That's present tense and implies that something is already taking place and has been seen to fail. Something yet to be tried in the future can't be said not to be working in the present...

...and you established that you haven't a notion how this would actually work in practice. I do. It wouldn't work in practice. It's impossible. The fact that something has never been tried has no bearing on the likelihood of success.
    Only people who make delusional claims about clairvoyance would think so... Magical Melian and her crystal ball! Park your caravan in O'Connell street you'll do a roaring trade!

Got nothing new to come out with no?

Gee whiz you forgot to answer a direct question:
    Explain how proposing that this country should decriminalise sex between consenting adults, leglaise stem cell research and marijuana as well as radically redesigning the English language, falls into the category of populism?

Maybe you should know that originality and ridiculousness are not mutually exclusive.

Avoiding the point. You go from claiming there is nothing original, to saying that there is in a garbled comment then go on to use the term "just plain ridiculous and from there to accusations of populism.

Who said it was widely held as ridiculous? IMO it's ridiclous. See the difference?

See the question you managed to avoid.

...and you established that you haven't a notion how this would actually work in practice. I do. It wouldn't work in practice. It's impossible. The fact that something has never been tried has no bearing on the likelihood of success.

Missing the point again. Explain how you can say something "doesn't work" (present tense) before it has been tried?

Is English your first language?

Got nothing new to come out with no?

Your'e the one claiming to be a clairvoyant...

Gee whiz you forgot to answer a direct question:

Yeah like looking for the legalisation of marijuana, and taking a dig at the RCC is unheard of on this forum.... oh no wait, it isn't. It's the usual rabbling sort of thing that AH is filled with.
    Avoiding the point. You go from claiming there is nothing original, to saying that there is in a garbled comment then go on to use the term "just plain ridiculous and from there to accusations of populism....

I said one of your points could be deemed original, and even at that it is completely ridiculous. Not difficult to get your head around I am sure, even in the old English.
    Missing the point again. Explain how you can say something "doesn't work" (present tense) before it has been tried?

You cannot incorporate the Irish Catholic Church, I have already outlined why. If it's not a company you cannot tax it as one. Simples. It's your idea, please expand on how it would work?
    Your'e the one claiming to be a clairvoyant...

Am I, where?

• Advertisement

I'll break it down and make it even more simple.

This is the question your were asked.
    Explain how proposing that this country should decriminalise sex between consenting adults, legalise stem cell research and marijuana as well as radically redesigning the English language, falls into the category of populism?

That’s a reference to THIS COUNTRY not THIS FORUM.

It might be a bit more obvious now why this bit of clutching at straws is not an answer to the question you were asked:
    Yeah like looking for the legalisation of marijuana, and taking a dig at the RCC is unheard of on this forum.... oh no wait, it isn't. It's the usual rabbling sort of thing that AH is filled with.

This a F O R U M which is not the same as a C O U N T R Y. Look them up in the dictionary. You might find there's quite a difference between the two.

Go ahead they have internet versions....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ok, assuming you've looked them up and now you know the difference you can explain how proposing the above in terms of THIS COUNTRY could be regarded as populism?

Just to help you with your thread reading problem here's the question again. Keep the dictionary open, mark the page with definition of a COUNTRY and the one with the definition of a FORUM and try again;
    Explain how proposing that this country should decriminalise sex between consenting adults, legalise stem cell research and marijuana as well as radically redesigning the English language, falls into the category of populism?

I said one of your points could be deemed original, and even at that it is completely ridiculous. Not difficult to get your head around I am sure, even in the old English.

Don't for a minute delude yourself into thinking you’re somehow qualified to decide what's an original and/or ridiculous idea. You're obviously not. Your attitude is just an example of the common closed minded craw thumper that's dogged this country from the beginning.
    You cannot incorporate the Irish Catholic Church, I have already outlined why. If it's not a company you cannot tax it as one. Simples. It's your idea, please expand on how it would work?

This seems to be going completely over your head. See the previous answer that explained this already. Try reading back carefully over your own comments. You’re stuck with a problem of your own invention. If you still don't get it I'll explain in more detail.
    Am I, where?

Where it was already pointed out. If you couldn’t understand the answer the first time you've little chance of getting the second time.:rolleyes:

I'll break it down and make it even more simple. This is the question your were asked. That’s a reference to THIS COUNTRY not THIS FORUM. This a F O R U M which is not the same as a C O U N T R Y. Look them up in the dictionary. You might find there's quite a difference between the two. Go ahead they have internet versions....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Ok, assuming you've looked them up and now you know the difference you can explain how proposing the above in terms of THIS COUNTRY could be regarded as populism?

Oh my. You made your proposals on this forum, where such ideas are populist.
    Don't for a minute delude yourself into thinking you’re somehow qualified to decide what's an original and/or ridiculous idea. You're obviously not. Your attitude is just an example of the common closed minded craw thumper that's dogged this country from the beginning.

Why?...because I like to think through the practicalities of your ideas? Maybe you should try it, come back and explain them further and you never know there might be some merit in them. As it stands they are just airy fairy notions, and we could sit around and discuss them until the end of time but it won't get us anywhere either.
    This seems to be going completely over your head. See the previous answer that explained this already. Try reading back carefully over your own comments. You’re stuck with a problem of your own invention. If you still don't get it I'll explain in more detail.

It hasn't been explained at all. The nearest thing to an explanation you have provided is 'it hasn't been tried before'..... that doesn't explain how it will work. Perhaps using a dyson vacuum cleaner to fly to the moon hasn't been tried before either, it still doesn't make it any more likely to succeed. So go on, please explain how you could theoretically tax the Catholic Church here....
    Where it was already pointed out. If you couldn’t understand the answer the first time you've little chance of getting the second time.:rolleyes:

Where was I clairvoyant though? I am saying it is impossible to tax the Catholic Church in Ireland, that's not clairvoyancy... it's fact.

You seem to have a major problem with comprehension! Try reading over my previous post a bit more carefully. It doesn't seem to matter what answer you get since you'll just imagine one for yourself and rest just goes over your head.

No. Redesigned English is :rolleyes:
    You seem to have a major problem with comprehension!

I have no problem with comprehension. You seem to have a problem expanding on your ideas, your issue, not mine.
    It doesn't seem to matter what answer you get...

I haven't gotten any answers...

Oh my. You made your proposals on this forum, where such ideas are populist.

So you do have a problem with basic comprehension. As simply as it was explained you still couldn't get it. You've completely confused what was said with where it was said. It didn't even singe your hair when it passed over your head. Of course you may not even have any idea what you meant by populism. Where did you do your English lessons?
    Why?...because I like to think through the practicalities of your ideas? Maybe you should try it, come back and explain them further and you never know there might be some merit in them. As it stands they are just airy fairy notions, and we could sit around and discuss them until the end of time but it won't get us anywhere either.

There is something else that should be glaringly obvious but which has gone right over your head. Considering your record there's so much going over your head your nose must be located between your toes.

I haven't explained anything. I could but I didn't. Explaining anything to someone like you would be a waste of time.

It would be as pointless as taking a potato before dinner, sitting it in a chair and explaining to it how boiling works as a method of cooking.
    It hasn't been explained at all. The nearest thing to an explanation you have provided is 'it hasn't been tried before'..... that doesn't explain how it will work. Perhaps using a dyson vacuum cleaner to fly to the moon hasn't been tried before either, it still doesn't make it any more likely to succeed. So go on, please explain how you could theoretically tax the Catholic Church here....

See above Spud.
    Where was I clairvoyant though? I am saying it is impossible to tax the Catholic Church in Ireland, that's not clairvoyancy... it's fact.

Go back and read it again. It had nothing to do with your obsession with taxing the Vatican operations in Ireland. It has to do with present tense and future tense. It relates to the English language. Something else, yet again, that's gone over your head.

I haven't explained anything. I could but I didn't. Explaining anything to someone like you would be a waste of time.

Case closed. You cannot explain anything in detail. I have questioned you repeatedly on one of your ideas and all you've come back with is semantics and attempts at humour. Congratulations you have confirmed previously held suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Just curious which one of you two played the dog, I can work out who played the bone?

Case closed. You cannot explain anything in detail. I have questioned you repeatedly on one of your ideas and all you've come back with is semantics and attempts at humour. Congratulations you have confirmed previously held suspicions.

Your comprehension of English has shown up again. I had a feeling the potato thing would go right over your head. At least in the case of the potato there's a reason: it's a potato. While potatoes can't imitate humans the opposite is not true in some cases. Thank you. P T Barnum could have used you without being accused of a hoax.

When you have no comprehension of what's said to you it's much easier to attempt a retreat under cover of self deluding vague general statements.

Your'e like a big headed cod with a hook in it's jaw being reeled in a zig zag towards the shore. You can feel the pull of the hook but you can't see the fishing line.

That your'e not worth explaining anything to is something you'll just have to get used to though I suspect you've already had lots of prior practice and can look forward to more in the future.

Just curious which one of you two played the dog, I can work out who played the bone?

Decide for your self. Everybody has an opinion.

On the subject of marches:

One just passed me a couple of hours ago in town. Very colourful, lots of noise, a couple of floats, flares, smoke, drums and well organised chants.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1210/breaking64.html

At least it's something but what?

I can't help wondering if marching in the dark is as useful as learning to use the ballot box. It's all very well complaining about the way the system is treating you but not when you fail to see that the problem is the system itself.

It's a bit like part time Catlicks muttering about the pope without realising that the problem is having a pope in the first place.*

*(watch the cod react)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Just shag each other & get it over with lads.

Advertisement