Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: International Experience Class (IEC)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

beano345 wrote: »
    hey louise i was thinking of doing the exact same thing,thought i read somewere that the police cert is valid for a year instead of 3 months :confused: can anybody share some light on this?

Have you had any luck with flights...they seem expensive that time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

havent even looked at flights yet waiting on a friend to get his visa which he just did 10 minutes ago:D thinking of going the end of may seems flight prices go up in june and stay that way fo the summer months

beano345 wrote: »
    havent even looked at flights yet waiting on a friend to get his visa which he just did 10 minutes ago:D thinking of going the end of may seems flight prices go up in june and stay that way fo the summer months

I'm heading in the 1st week of August n it's expensive that time of year :( although I'm gonna look at flyin in2 NY and then flying into the regional airport in Toronto- closer to the city, flights usually cheaper n usually the emigration ques aren't so long

the website currently says a police cert is valid for 12months, might change next year but I think I'll get one vefore I leave just in case it will work:

I obtained a police certificate that I submitted for a previous application to the IEC initiative. Will it still be valid if I apply again? Do I need a new police certificate?
    The police certificate you obtained and submitted as part of your previous IEC application is valid for 12 calendar months from the time of issue. If you are unsure as to whether your current police certificate will remain valid for the period of time required to process your application, we recommend that you apply for and submit a new certificate. It is important to note that your application will be automatically refused against the eligibility criteria of the IEC if your previous certificate is no longer valid and you have not submitted a new one.
    Please note that if you are currently in the process of applying for a new police certificate and you have the intention of re-applying in a subsequent year, we strongly recommend that you request to be issued a second copy of the certificate so that you can include it with your next application.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

the website currently says a police cert is valid for 12months, might change next year but I think I'll get one vefore I leave just in case it will work:

I obtained a police certificate that I submitted for a previous application to the IEC initiative. Will it still be valid if I apply again? Do I need a new police certificate?
    The police certificate you obtained and submitted as part of your previous IEC application is valid for 12 calendar months from the time of issue. If you are unsure as to whether your current police certificate will remain valid for the period of time required to process your application, we recommend that you apply for and submit a new certificate. It is important to note that your application will be automatically refused against the eligibility criteria of the IEC if your previous certificate is no longer valid and you have not submitted a new one.
    Please note that if you are currently in the process of applying for a new police certificate and you have the intention of re-applying in a subsequent year, we strongly recommend that you request to be issued a second copy of the certificate so that you can include it with your next application.

Ahh that's amazing!

I think I'll get a new one before I leave in June so, that way I'll be good to go straight away when applications open!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Ahh that's amazing!

I think I'll get a new one before I leave in June so, that way I'll be good to go straight away when applications open!

Hi loiusjscott, is that in date for 12 months for your police certificate . I am just wondering where do i go (website) to find out if mine is 12 months or 3 months??. Also just wondering what website is that above where you got the info about the police certificate? Thanks ggirl2010.

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    Hi loiusjscott, is that in date for 12 months for your police certificate . I am just wondering where do i go (website) to find out if mine is 12 months or 3 months??. Also just wondering what website is that above where you got the info about the police certificate? Thanks ggirl2010.

I just went on the frequently asked question on the IEC webiste: www.Ireland.gc.ca

• Registered Users Posts: 48 KenJG

Hey, for those of you who still haven't applied yet and are concerned it may[URL="javascript:void(0);"][/URL] be too late. My wife and I sent our applications on Thursday and got an aknowledgement of receipt email from the ymu this morning stating they received it yesterday 28/03/2011. It also said "For your information, the processing time that applies to your file is: 6 weeks". So it looks like there are places left and that processing time has decreased.
    So if you haven't applied and want to I'd say crack on and best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭SarahToronto

hi all,
    for those of you talking about expensive flights...
    Some people have been talking about flying to Canada at the same time as the biggest holidays in Canada! These are:
    May 23rd
    July 1st - Canada day - very expensive to fly around this time!
    August 1st
    Sept. 5th - Last holiday before kids are in school, huge holiday time.

And the few days surrounding these dates obviously are expensive times to fly here.

http://www.vpcalendar.net/Holiday_Dates/2010_2015.html

Just to let you all know! Avoid these times if you can.

Note:
    Some of Canadian holidays coincide with US holidays, if you fly here via USA, there will be extra security checks especially around Independence Day in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭miser44

I am trying to complete the personal information section to download the application kit but a message appears everytime i click send:

You can not participate in this category because you do not fulfil the citizenship requirement.

Why would this be?I am 22 so I am in the age requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

when do they take applications for 2012? like if i wanted to leave january 2012 is it better to apply now or wait until they are taking more or ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

your letter of introduction is valid for 12 months so apply now to go in January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

miser44 wrote: »
    I am trying to complete the personal information section to download the application kit but a message appears everytime i click send:

You can not participate in this category because you do not fulfil the citizenship requirement.

Why would this be?I am 22 so I am in the age requirements.

Have you lived outside Ireland for a number of years?
    Are you an Irish citezen?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Are there any direct flights going to Canada? Anywhere I check seems to a stopoff in O'Hare or the UK which makes the journey quite long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

jimmybeige wrote: »
    Are there any direct flights going to Canada? Anywhere I check seems to a stopoff in O'Hare or the UK which makes the journey quite long!!

only direct flights between Dublin and Shannon to Toronto in the summer months afaik

Cheers, stop over it is then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Posted my Application on Friday the 25th
    Acknowledgement of receipt on Tuesday the 29th
    Conditional Acceptance Today

Thought it would take a week or two for that to happen, so pretty happy with that.

Just have to send off the €110 now and hope I get through the UK.

On the proof of payment, how did everyone upload it?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

My progress so far:

Sent my aplication 22/03
    Confirmation of reciept 24/03
    Conditional Acceptance 28/03
    Sent Payment 29/03
    Forwarded to London 30/03

Seems fairly quick so far.

Has any failed at the final hurdle(i.e. London) yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    only direct flights between Dublin and Shannon to Toronto in the summer months afaik

I have a flight booked with Air Transat at beginning of May, Shannon direct to Toronto

jk86 wrote: »
    I have a flight booked with Air Transat at beginning of May, Shannon direct to Toronto

That's great, thanks! I'm thinking of going around the same time. Says there are flights on the 3rd and 10th. I'll probably book for one of those dates.

Did you book a return flight? I tried to book one for late December but it doesn't seem to allow bookings that far ahead on the Air Transat website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Yep, mine is on the 3rd. I didn't book a return ticket

Yea I'm tempted to do the same. Slightly worried that they might ask for a return ticket though but it doesn't seem like it's compulsory. Hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭edgy

Hey guys I only discovered the IEC yesterday on the Canadian Govt Website and Im really interested in going to Canada so Ill give it a shot. Ive done a bit of research on it but Im just wondering does anyone here who has been successful in their application have children or other dependants who they were able to bring to Canada with them? I want to bring my daughter with me who is a primary school student so just wondering if anyone else has done this?

edgy wrote: »
    Hey guys I only discovered the IEC yesterday on the Canadian Govt Website and Im really interested in going to Canada so Ill give it a shot. Ive done a bit of research on it but Im just wondering does anyone here who has been successful in their application have children or other dependants who they were able to bring to Canada with them? I want to bring my daughter with me who is a primary school student so just wondering if anyone else has done this?

Hi edgy:

Haven't done it myself but you should check out the IEC website: it has the following re-children:

I would like to apply to the IEC initiative. May my child come with me? What will his/her status be?
    Yes, your child may come to Canada with you. However, each of your dependants (spouse/common-law partner/child/children) will have to obtain his/her own status. At the time of applying, you must indicate that your child will come to Canada with you by:
    • Completing all the boxes in the appropriate column in section 1 of the IEC application form
    • Attaching 2 identity photos of your child, as per the requirements set out by Citizenship and Immigration Canada: www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/photospecs-e.pdf. These photos must be stapled to the bottom of your application form, face-up, next to yours
    • Attaching a legible photocopy of the identification pages of his/her passport (family name, given name(s), date of birth, issuance and expiry dates). If you would like your child to remain in Canada for as long as you, his/her passport must be valid long enough to cover this period
    If your child is under 6 years old, he/she will be considered a visitor. He/she may attend nursery school, as per the system in place in your province/territory of stay. He/she will not have a student status. The Immigration Officer at a Canadian port of entry will ask you to prove that you will be able to provide for the needs of your child during your entire stay in Canada (financial means, fixed accommodation, who will take care of the child while you work, etc.). The duration of your child’s visitor status will also be decided at this stage by the Immigration Officer at the border.
    If your child is over 6 years old, he/she is of schooling age. It will therefore be obligatory to obtain a study permit for your child before his/her entry to Canada in order for him/her to attend an educational institution in Canada. Your child will consequently have a “student” status. To apply for a study permit, please click here.
    The Immigration Officer at a port of entry will ask you to prove that you will be able to provide for the needs of your child, who will be considered a student, throughout your entire stay in Canada (financial means, fixed accommodation, who will take care of the child while you work, etc.). The duration of your child’s status will also be decided at this stage by the Immigration Officer at the border.
    NOTE: If you are going to Canada under the IEC initiative, without the other parent, and your child is a minor, you must read carefully the information provided by the Visa Section of the Canadian High Commission in the UK for you will also have to prove that you are authorized to travel alone with your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jlav

Fromvert wrote: »
    Posted my Application on Friday the 25th
    Acknowledgement of receipt on Tuesday the 29th
    Conditional Acceptance Today

Thought it would take a week or two for that to happen, so pretty happy with that.

Just have to send off the €110 now and hope I get through the UK.

On the proof of payment, how did everyone upload it?

As someone else mentioned on a different thread, I took a photo of the paper receipt, used my phone to reduce it to less than 500K, used adobe to convert it to pdf and sent it on. Worked well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Manic con

Has anybodys time past that they were give at the start?it has for me and no word I'm thinking it may have been rejected at this stage.I sent them a email but it didn help much.it was sent to London on the 23/02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Manic con wrote: »
    Has anybodys time past that they were give at the start?it has for me and no word I'm thinking it may have been rejected at this stage.I sent them a email but it didn help much.it was sent to London on the 23/02.

are you waiting on a medical??

Manic con wrote: »

Did you let them know your time had passed in the email you sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

jimmybeige wrote: »
    Yea I'm tempted to do the same. Slightly worried that they might ask for a return ticket though but it doesn't seem like it's compulsory. Hard to know.

No need to book a return flight as long as you have proof of funds. Anyway I don't think any carrier allows us to book more than twelve months in advance. I booked with Airtransit myself, also 3rd of May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Manic con

Did you let them know your time had passed in the email you sent?

Yeah.they just have a automatic email they send you saying I might take longer.I'm not waiting on a medical.I'm worried because other people who's app was sent to London on the 4/03 got theirs.

Advertisement